Kansas City Royals?!!?!?!

hile75

CTG's ambassador of sexy
Serious question......Top to bottom. Is this pitching staff top 3 in all of baseball?

Looking at there rotation.
1) Meche - Proved his worth last year, really really pitched well.
2) Bannister - Youg star in the making.
3) Greinke - Was a top 10 prospect when he was 19, they brought him up mad early, got a little roughed up. I'd expect this to maybe be his best year in the majors.
4) Bale - I'm not completely sold on him, but hes serviceable.
5) Not sure who this is to be honest.....But might guarantee by the all star break its Hochevar, who was the top pick in the draft not that long ago, and is already major league ready.

Also, great setup and close combo with Nunez followed by Soria.

I'll put Boston at the top of the majors when healthy, but floowing them, who else do I put ahead of the Royals here? Detroit might be my only other answer?

Anyone wanna call me nuts, have at it, just felt the need to get that in writing for some reason

you're nuts...

IMO cant make a top staff on potential.

If you're going to go with 'if healthy' there are others out there head and shoulders better IMO.

Go Jays, lol

I'll give you they're underrated, but one of the tops in MLB is way off. And what's to like about Detroit's pitching? Outside of Verlander, that staff is an abortion.

Santa....Who am I talking 'potential' about. Maybe Bannister, but he did just humiliate the Detroit Tigers, arguably the best lineup in baseball.

just when you say you'd expect Greinke to have his best year... whats that double digit wins? a full season?

I agree, they are underated, but the staff wouldnt scare me one bit as a team going in for a 4 game series, thats all.

OK, In terms of Greinke....Last year in 14 starts, the kid went 7-7 on a team that doesnt score runs. Had a 3.69 ERA and a 3-1 K to walk ratio, and this is coming from your number 3 stater. Compared to other teams number 3 starters, I'd be willing to bet those numbers are above average

Even if you project Greinke's numbers over a full season (which in and of itself is a leap of faith) to make the case that he's an above average #3, I'd say most of the "good" teams in MLB have a nastier 1-2 punch than Meche and Bannister. And the back end of the rotation consists of a couple warm bodies. Promising bullpen though.

Ok, we'll say top 5 then......

I'll Say Boston, San Diego, Detroit, and........????? I honestly don't know who else to put above them

Detroit's closer to the bottom five in my opinion. I like KC's staff better than theirs. Assuming full health, I'd put Boston, Cleveland, Toronto, Anaheim, Seattle, probably the Yanks all ahead of the KC pitching staff. And that's just the American League.

Sheets, Gallardo, Suppan, Villanueva, insert name (bush, Parra) Ill take that any day over the Royals. Also the D-Backs a hell of a lot better as well.
Webb, Haren, Davis, Big Unit, somebody

Sheets, Gallardo, Suppan, Villanueva, insert name (bush, Parra) Ill take that any day over the Royals. Also the D-Backs a hell of a lot better as well.
Webb, Haren, Davis, Big Unit, somebody

SOMEBODY, come on now

that boys name is MICAH OWINGS. He's got a hell of a bat too

"Woo isnt this guy supposed to be a millionare? This guy looks likea fucking loser..... hey atleast im house broken"

OK, so far in the mix we now have San Diego, Boston, Toronto, Arizona, Milwaukee...

And I'll argue Milwaukee this way.....They're team ERA was only .07 above the Royals last year, and thats in the NL, and the NL central nonetheless, where clearly your getting easier teams. Sheets, we all know, wont finish the year healthy, and Gagne????? Cut me a break?

Id argue that the bullpen for arizona is weaker after trading valverde. Lyon is not going to last in the closer role.

Serious question......Top to bottom. Is this pitching staff top 3 in all of baseball?

Looking at there rotation.
1) Meche - Proved his worth last year, really really pitched well.
2) Bannister - Youg star in the making.
3) Greinke - Was a top 10 prospect when he was 19, they brought him up mad early, got a little roughed up. I'd expect this to maybe be his best year in the majors.
4) Bale - I'm not completely sold on him, but hes serviceable.
5) Not sure who this is to be honest.....But might guarantee by the all star break its Hochevar, who was the top pick in the draft not that long ago, and is already major league ready.

Also, great setup and close combo with Nunez followed by Soria.

I'll put Boston at the top of the majors when healthy, but floowing them, who else do I put ahead of the Royals here? Detroit might be my only other answer?

Anyone wanna call me nuts, have at it, just felt the need to get that in writing for some reason

You make some good points Hile. #5 unfortunately right now is Tomko. Fortunately, he will be skipped a number of times this month due to the off days. I would agree, and hope, that Hochevar does fill that role by the all-star break. Bannister is a star in the making that they got in a trade from the Mets 18 months ago for Ambiorix Burgos (what a steal). A great performance the other day, but this isn't new for him. He was very good last year, and then hit a wall at the end of the season, like many young pitchers do.

One of Ozzie Guillen's favorite pitchers, Zack Greinke has the potential to be one of the better pitchers in baseball, and at times, has shown it. His season last year was up and down. Started off well as a starter, moved to the bullpen and was lights out, helping fill out one of the better pens in baseball with Soria, Riske, and Dotel. They then moved him back to the starting rotation at the end of the year feeling that he is more valuable as a starter. As many of you may know, he went through some off the field issues, battling social axiety disorder and even considered quitting baseball. He seems to have that under control. This will be a big year for him and the Royals are expecting him to be a main contributor to the rotation, hopefully for years to come. As mentioned, at times he's unhittable, others he gets knocked around pretty good. Calling him an automatic fade is ridiculous.

As for Soria, he was obtained as a Rule 5 draft pick from the Padres around the same time as Bannister. If you don't already know about this kid, you will soon. Electric.

Yeah last year though hile they had frickin Claudio Vargas and Dave Bush in the starting 5 the whole year. Vargas is an automatic 5+ ERA guy. This year they replace him with stud prospect Parra. And besides Gagne that back end of the bullpen is filthy with Riske (former Royal), Mota, Torres, Turnbow. And they clocked Gagne at 94 on Monday so Im still sold on him with that changeup he has.

Maybe not depth wise 1-5 but Id put the 1-3 of the Rays in there too.

Same here. For some reason I love the Rays team this year and I know its going to end up costing me a lot of money with how horrible that bullpen is

I agree underrated. Not sure about top 5.

If you're talking just 1-3 starters, in addition to Boston, San Diego, Toronto(not Detroit), I'd have to put these in front of KC:

Cleveland: CC, Carmona, Westbrook
LA Dodgers: Penny, Lowe and Billingsley
Cubbies: Zambrano, Lily and Hill

Probably Seattle belongs in there just for their 1-2 punch of Felix and Bedard, although they have a dropoff at 3, whether it's Silva or Washburn.

But point taken, KC very nice staff for a team that most people think is garbage. They'll be undervalued all year.
Bannister very impressive yesterday the way he mowed down that Detroit lineup.
:shake:

you're talking about young kids. sure they can throw, but can they get it done after they give up two walks in the 1st inning of the divisional series? Also, how scouted are these guys? I guarenfuckingtee detroit gets all over bannister next time, after they see some tape on him. there are staffs out there that swallow these guys up.

i said atlanta b/c you aren't going to beat a healthy smoltz/hudson combo in a 5 game series.

When Gagne has 2 more saves during the year then Soria, I'll give him some credit.....Whats Ganges ERA right now? How about Sorias? And if the Royals bring up Hochevar, I think he outshines Parra as well. And Yovanni looked great the first few starts, looked much weaker near the end of the year, I need to see him 2-3 times this year to pass judgement on him.

similar views as santa. torontos top 5 is solid, i'd give marcum the edge over mcgowan though...the jays need a decent lefty in the starting rotation..maybe chachin can get back into his groove, but until then i think jp needs to be actively looking for one...i don't rmember a squad that won it all with only right handers in the strating rotation

Fellas, Not talking top 3 SP's, ENTIRE STAFFS please. Tampa has a rotten pen and was dead last in team ERA last year.

I'm talking 1-5, bullpen, setup man, closer. pitching coach, everything :)

When Gagne has 2 more saves during the year then Soria, I'll give him some credit.....Whats Ganges ERA right now? How about Sorias? And if the Royals bring up Hochevar, I think he outshines Parra as well. And Yovanni looked great the first few starts, looked much weaker near the end of the year, I need to see him 2-3 times this year to pass judgement on him.

Thats a horrible argument right there man and you know it. Its been one appearance. Gagne will be fine as long as he controls his pitches because he still has the stuff
And I dont know what Gallardo you were watching last year but minus the horrid Colorado start that I think was in July and the one right after that he was as good as any starter in the NL the last month I believe.

This one I truly dont have a comeback for, and is a weakness this staff does have

This is probably the reason why no one here wants to consider them as a good staff.

What everyone is overlooking is the pen, they are focusing on the starters but this pen is sick fellas.

Hile: I am with you on KC's pitching. I am going to be betting them far more than against them, and with much more confidence this season, as well.

Meche feels he can beat anyone. Bannister just shut down the most potent lineup in baseball. Greinke is on my fantasy team, which tells you what I think of him.

The lack of depth at 4 and 5 is the reason why I can't call them a top-5 rotation in baseball. They are close to top-5 American League - I think our in-house bartender is not giving them enough credit if he honestly thinks "Boston, Cleveland, Toronto, Anaheim, Seattle, probably the Yanks" - are all better than KC....

I think Boston's is a tad better. Cleveland is prolly on par. Toronto is similar in that they are top-heavy, and I like Seattle's better, but would take KC over Anaheim. The Yankees are easily in the bottom six or seven in all of baseball.

Good thread.

Soria is good, just because KC doesn't have the bats to beat people doesn't mean their pitching isnt good. you never see or hear about their bullpen and their pitchers don't get W's because of it

There isn't a GM in the history of baseball that would trade Cleveland's staff, 1-5, middle relief, set-up men, closer, pitching coach, bullpen coach, and interpreter for KC's this year.

Meche wouldn't start Opening Day for over half the teams in MLB. It seems like you're basing this on 2 games. Let's check back on KC's staff ERA, IP by starters, BAA in six weeks or so and see how you feel.

There isn't a GM in the history of baseball that would trade Cleveland's staff, 1-5, middle relief, set-up men, closer, pitching coach, bullpen coach, and interpreter for KC's this year.

Meche wouldn't start Opening Day for over half the teams in MLB. It seems like you're basing this on 2 games. Let's check back on KC's staff ERA, IP by starters, BAA in six weeks or so and see how you feel.

I think my favorite part of this thread is coming back to it a month from now and seeing where it stands.

Signal, When was the last year when Gagne was a dominant closer like Soria is going to be this year

Also, quick sidestat, KC was 8th last year in team ERA in the majors with RISP and 2nd with the bases loadad

Good discussion fellas. I can't say that I agree with you, Barkeep. The interpreter is supposed to really suck, lol.

In all seriousness, I think the Tribe pitching is very overrated and will eventually lead to their demise and them eventually missing out on the wild card.

Back