June In-Game

Interesting coming from an FA that has bet365, sbobet, and 12bet as current kit sponsors...

Tottenham's Andros Townsend reveals boredom led to banned betting

• 'It all started while watching games in my hotel room'
• Tottenham midfielder devastated to miss Under-21 finals

Guardian staff
<time itemprop="datePublished" datetime="2013-06-07T00:26BST" pubdate="">Friday 7 June 2013 00.26 BST</time>

Andros-Townsend-008.jpg

Andros Townsend has revealed the background to his ban by the Football Association for breaching betting rules. Photograph: Charlie Crowhurst/Getty Images

Andros Townsend has revealed that boredom led him to place the bets that resulted in a fine and ban by the Football Association this week.

The Tottenham midfielder was banned from all football for four months, three of which were suspended, after breaching betting regulations. He was also fined £18,000.

He told The Sun: "It all started while watching games in my hotel room. I was bored and there were TV ads promoting bets you could have on the matches I was watching.

"In December, the betting company informed me they were reporting me to the FA for breaching betting regulations, as you can't bet on games in a competition that either your loan clubs or parent team had played in during that current season.

"Speaking honestly, there was never anything sinister going on. There was no match-fixing, no betting on my team to lose, no inside information."

Townsend voluntarily withdrew from the England Under-21 squad for the European Championship after being charged by the FA.

Who's ready for some exciting Primera Division action?

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Nx64_N4AA04" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="320" width="480"></iframe>

:thumbsup:

Thanks Monger. Newell's could have put this over by themselves already if they weren't trying to be so cute...

Newell's 3-0! 55'

:goal:

I guess now I have to hope the fans behave until the final whistle...

fair argument.

i need Mexico to continue to embarass themselves during these qualifers and not make the WC because I fucking hate them.

#USMNT Lineup tonight: Howard; Evans, Gonzalez, Besler, Beasley; Bradley, Cameron; E. Johnson, Dempsey (c), F. Johnson; Altidore

4-2-3-1

e. johnson out wide, not sure I like him here. Hasn't he been coming in for altidore

yeah, but no one plays Mexico straight up in Concacaf, they pack it in, though Mexico still should be scoring more

Gripe of mine: the national team coach should have to be that country's nationality / held to same standard as a player

Back