Jose Fernandez is Dead

holy fuck...horrible, simply put...horrible. I really liked watching him pitch, he had that energy/enthusiasm about him it seemed. Was looking forward to seeing him in the majors for many years to come. Damn. RIP

MIAMI -- Marlins ace Jose Fernandez, a two-time All-Star and beloved star in Major League Baseball, died early Sunday in a boating accident in Miami Beach.
"The Miami Marlins organization is devastated by the tragic loss of Jose Fernandez. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this very difficult time," the Marlins released in a statement.

It is heartbreaking news in MLB, across the entire sports world and in the communities brightened by Fernandez's exemplary spirit.
"All of Baseball is shocked and saddened by the sudden passing of Miami Marlins pitcher José Fernández," Commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement. "He was one of our game's great young stars who made a dramatic impact on and off the field since his debut in 2013. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, the Miami Marlins organization and all of the people he touched in his life."
The tragic passing of the 24-year-old right-hander prompted the cancellation of Miami's series finale on Sunday with the Braves at Marlins Park, which was scheduled for 1:10 p.m. ET.
Fernandez initially was scheduled to start on Sunday, but on Saturday it was announced he would pitch the series opener with the Mets on Monday in Miami.
Fernandez was winding down his best big league season, posting a 16-8 record with a 2.86 ERA. The hard-throwing right-hander already had put together a franchise record for strikeouts with 253 strikeouts this season, and his 12.49 strikeouts per nine innings rank tops in the Majors.
Fernandez's path to the big leagues is inspirational.
Three times he tried unsuccessfully to defect from his native Cuba before arriving in the United States at age 15. He settled in Tampa, Fla., and became a sensation.
Fernandez was Miami's first-round pick in 2011, and at age 20 he broke into the big leagues, becoming an All-Star and the National League Rookie of the Year in 2013.
In May of 2014, Fernandez underwent Tommy John surgery, and returned to the big leagues on July 2, 2015. That same year he became a U.S. citizen.
Fernandez's last start was perhaps the best of his career. On Sept. 20, he tossed a season-high eight innings and struck out 12 in a 1-0 shutout win over the Nationals.

Quite honestly at my age, this may be the worst sports tragedy in my life (at least that I can remember). I was technically alive when Clemente died but certainly don't remember it and some of my friends older than me have been comparing it to that...one brought up Len Bias (I was still too young to understand fully) but Jose's life story is so large I just can't grasp this.

Tragedies happen, this one is just so awful on so many levels.

so sad...rip

[TABLE="class: Lhead2, width: 600, align: center"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: Ltitle"] 09/25/16 06:19:57am Pacific [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Lhead1"] MLB: Game 953-954 (ORN# 953-954) [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Ldata"] The Atlanta vs Miami game has been postponed due to the death of Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez. [/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: Ltitle"] 09/24/16 01:07:09pm Pacific [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Lhead1"] MLB - Overnight Pitching Change: Game 953-954 (ORN# 953-954) [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Ldata"] Miami - A. Conley (L) for J. Fernandez - Overnight Change. [/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

View attachment 41444

RIP to all involved. Sad day.

Jeep Jackson is the sports player death that effected me most in my life or that I was saddened the most by.

Hate to see life end so quickly with such promise.

Devastating news, such an incredible young talent...so sad he never will get to fulfill it.

so sad...rip

<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: Ltitle"] 09/25/16 06:19:57am Pacific [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Lhead1"] MLB: Game 953-954 (ORN# 953-954) [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Ldata"] The Atlanta vs Miami game has been postponed due to the death of Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez. [/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: Ltitle"] 09/24/16 01:07:09pm Pacific [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Lhead1"] MLB - Overnight Pitching Change: Game 953-954 (ORN# 953-954) [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Ldata"] Miami - A. Conley (L) for J. Fernandez - Overnight Change. [/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

View attachment 41444

I don't think that's the right picture. I don't remember Miami Beach ever having those rigs off the beach.

I take it back. That IS the boat. It's just super zoomed and made the towers closer than they actually are. My bad.

Tulowitzki_original.gif

man this is brutal. i kind of want to be a dick and start a hot take about how its wrong that how good at baseball a guy his impacts how much we care and mourn his death, but ill save that for another day. this is brutal.

Tragic.

Coincidentally if they hadn't pushed his start back to Monday he is still alive.

This is most definitely true and gut wrenching. Was scheduled to start Sunday but pushed back to Monday. No way he is out on a boat at 3am night before he pitched. Feel awful for guy who made that decision. Wonder if it was Donnie. Life is so fragile. Can turn in an instant. Horrible

man this is brutal. i kind of want to be a dick and start a hot take about how its wrong that how good at baseball a guy his impacts how much we care and mourn his death, but ill save that for another day. this is brutal.

I was going to mention something like that. Two others were also killed in this tragedy. But the fact is Jose Fernandez affected more people either directly in the community or indirectly through inspiration or amazement where it strikes people in the gut. It comes with being in the spotlight.

The platform that baseball allotted him makes this a huge story that wouldn't have otherwise been one. Read up on what was granted to him in Cuba because of baseball, and what he was willing to sacrifice given the circumstances, and taken away from not only him but his family.

Being a baseball player and a superstar at that, is a massive part of the total picture.

this seems bigger because of the cultural angle, but your post reminds me of Sean Taylor dying. I was fucking distraught over that simply because I knew I would never get to watch my favorite football player play again. that's obviously a selfish angle but that doesn't make the pain any less real.

this news is similar cuz baseball fans were robbed of getting to witness a future hall of famer do his thing. if it was some middle reliever, we wouldn't care. we're not being dicks admitting this. we're being real.

rip jose.

I have to be honest he wasn't my favorite player but it hit very close to home for many people close to me and I feel their pain...I promise you its an eye opener for many young men in the game, sometimes playing the game for a living you feel you live in a bubble/fantasy land and a thing like this seems impossible to you while your living the dream...Just realize these guys we wager on everyday and watch for a few hours on TV are real people that that are just as fucked up as the rest of us, they are hurting bad...hang wit em guys, hang wit em

RIP

Knew who he was, but didn't know the impact he had and how well liked and his story. Interesting.

Lebatard article someone said?

Oh man the ironies in life and death are very pervasive...this is really a sad story. He obviously was so loved by his teammates and a great guy to be around because of his pure unabated joy for the game. Really a tough deal here, I hate when this stuff happens....

The entirety of that Dee Gordon at bat might be one of the best things I've ever seen. Go up right handed for a pitch with Jose's helmet on, replace it and go to the left side and then homer to lead off the bottom of the first. You just can't script it and I don't really care if Colon threw him a meatball.

The entirety of that Dee Gordon at bat might be one of the best things I've ever seen. Go up right handed for a pitch with Jose's helmet on, replace it and go to the left side and then homer to lead off the bottom of the first. You just can't script it and I don't really care if Colon threw him a meatball.

:shake:

Wow just amazing...reminds me of Bo Kimble/Hank Gathers FT shooting tribute....

That was my first (and really only) comparison and I was so much younger then that this one, with all of the extra story lines has resonated a ton more...seriously this has taken me a couple days to process and still not sure it has.

But Dee Gordon's AB tonight, the game in general, was a gem...and kudos to the Mets for their participation in the pregame

Man life is tough. A guy who escapes by boat from an oppressive country only to lose his life tragically later. This sucks. RIP.

Was definitely very touching and amazing to watch. Did Colon serve one up for Dee? That I couldn't really tell, but it was just overall amazing and incredible to watch.

+1

Never realized how fukn skinny Gordon is either till yesterday!

Bob Nightengale@BNightengale <small class="time" style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(136, 153, 166);"> 3 hil y a 3 heures</small><button type="button" class="btn-link js-translate-tweet translate-button" data-nav="translate_tweet" style="color: rgb(136, 153, 166); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; font-family: inherit; margin: 1px -2px -2px 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; background-image: none; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; border-radius: 0px; box-shadow: none; display: block; text-align: left; float: right;">Voir la traduction</button>

S
obbing #Marlins OF Marcell Ozuna told Miami Herald he was invited by Jose Fernandez to join him on his boat that evening, but declined.

Ozuna to Miami Herald:“That night I told him, ‘Don’t go out.' Everybody knew he was crazy about that boat and loved being out on the water.'

<small class="time" style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(136, 153, 166);"></small><button type="button" class="btn-link js-translate-tweet translate-button" data-nav="translate_tweet" style="color: rgb(136, 153, 166); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16px; font-family: inherit; margin: 1px -2px -2px 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; background-image: none; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; padding: 0px; border-radius: 0px; box-shadow: none; display: block; text-align: left; float: right;">Voir la traductio</button>Marcell Ozuna to Herald: “I hope one day I get to meet his daughter and get the chance to tell her what her father was like. #Heartbreaking

Back