Jets vs. Broncos Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Jets vs. Broncos NFL Week 3 Picks and Odds Breakdown

New York Jets vs. Denver Broncos
Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 4:05 p.m. ET at Mile High Stadium in Denver

The Surprising Jet Passing Defense

Part of why the over/under for this game is too high is that it is difficult for oddsmakers to account for just how good the Jet passing defense is.

This difficulty derives partly from the comparatively low expectations for this group heading into the season.

Their success so far, though, has been top-level in several respects.

They are one of three NFL teams whose cornerback group has allowed zero touchdowns through Weeks 1 and 2.

Furthermore, they rank top-six in stats like: air yards allowed per reception, yards allowed per reception, yards allowed per target, and yards allowed per cover snap.

Easy Competition?

Skeptics want to point to the competition the Jet cornerback group has faced so far as a source of doubt regarding its actual quality.

But there are two responses, that I will make in turn, to doubts of this kind: New York's quality of competition is understated while the next quarterback that it will face is not worth fearing.

As for the first response, the Jets first faced Carolina. It's superficially easy to point to Sam Darnold's stats and rankings last year in order to make the claim that he's an easy quarterback for any defense to handle.

But Darnold was a Jet last year, a member of the second-worst team that included an offense bereft of pass protection, pass-catching weapons, and run support.

There was little any quarterback could have done with that lack of support. He actually ranked very highly in key passing stats when he threw from a clean pocket.

This year, Darnold as a Panther has a passer rating that is nearly 30 points higher after helping to beat the Saints in Week 2.

The other quarterback that the Jets faced was Patriot rookie Mac Jones. Again, one can make a superficial sort of dismissal by pointing to his rookie status.

But Jones performed well (281 passer rating, 102.6 passer rating) against a Dolphin team that has invested heavily in its secondary, which includes two strong cornerbacks with an All-Pro and three Pro Bowls between them. Jones was not as strong against the Jet pass defense.

My second response to skeptics is that Bronco QB Teddy Bridgewater has never been a fear-inspiring quarterback. He's never managed a 100 passer rating in a season, despite being on some teams with real pass-catching weapons.

For good reason, he's been bounced around four different teams since his rookie year in 2014.

Plus, Denver's receiving corps is banged-up particularly with the absence of Jerry Jeudy.

Jet Offense vs. Denver Defense

If you don't like the Bronco offense in this game -- as I don't -- then "under" is the only reasonable play left and it makes a ton of sense.

As weird as it might be to say this, the Jet offense is overvalued. Its statistics are inflated by a tremendous amount of garbage time in both of its first two games this season.

Before either game was decided, however, the Jet offense could literally hardly do anything.

In the first half against New England, the Jets managed two drives that went for more than 20 yards. One of those drives ended in an interception, the other in the team's only three points in the half.

Regarding the Jets' Week 1 contest, they managed zero first-half points against Carolina.

Quarterback Zach Wilson is very obviously a rookie. He's completing 55.7-percent of his passes and has thrown five interceptions to two touchdowns.

He's making some poor decisions and showing inconsistent zip on his passes.

But, similar to Darnold last year, he's getting minimal support. His lack of pass protection is hard to overcome -- think of Mahomes last year in the Super Bowl for a clearer idea of how important pass protection is for any quarterback.

Moreover, his wide receivers struggle to get separation and they must also take accountability for some of Wilson's interceptions.

Things won't get easy, though, against a Bronco defense that ranks fifth in limiting opposing passing yards thanks in part to a strong secondary that recently added the ninth overall pick in the last draft, Patrick Surtain.

Of course, the Bronco cornerback unit is headed by former first-team All-Pro Kyle Fuller.

The Verdict

Prior games this season suggest that we may have a situation where the Jets can score some garbage-time points near the end of the game and possibly manage to cover.

In the first half, Denver's defense will be maximally focused as the game will not be decided so early.

While Denver's offense isn't scary with Bridgewater against an underrated Jet secondary, New York's offense has produced three first-half points in two games.

For the above reasons, take the first-half "under."

Best Bet: First-Half Under 21 at -105 with BetOnline

I think under in Jets games always looks solid but specifically the team under. I'm looking forward to the preview when the Jets play the Jaguars in what should be the game of the season.
I‘m sure you guys are bitter about Jax getting the number 1 pick last year, i‘m just not sure what revenge looks like in this scenario…managing to lose to the Jags to prove worthier of the 1 pick?

I‘m sure you guys are bitter about Jax getting the number 1 pick last year, i‘m just not sure what revenge looks like in this scenario…managing to lose to the Jags to prove worthier of the 1 pick?
I'm actually not bitter at all and have total belief in Wilson. The only issue I have is that this organization is perfectly capable of destroying his career.

I'm actually not bitter at all and have total belief in Wilson. The only issue I have is that this organization is perfectly capable of destroying his career.
They damn near destroy my confidence and I'm not close to being a fan

Very happy for Sam to get that stain bleached and dry cleaned before he fell into that mental downward spiral, went from a shit situation to a great one where CMc is the star

Well that makes one of us.

This team is a complete disaster. Zero skill position players with any playmaking ability...perhaps the worst offensive line in the league, hands down now with the Mekhi Becton injury at left tackle, a rookie head coach, a rookie offensive coordinatior, and a kid QB feels the need to try to do everything himself. It's like the same tape playing over again when Sam was here.

The defensive side of the ball is the strength of this team. Their front 7 isn't horrible and has held their own quite nicely so far. Their secondary (as a whole) leaves much to be totally desired, but most teams have that problem.

If the "new" plan after the abject disaster of last week is to make the kid play like Mac Jones and throw nothing but dump offs, then swell. Problem is this kid has NOBODY explosive to make plays for him on the offensive side of the ball. The Jets will hang in a lot of games this year, because their defense isn't total garbage....BUT...they are going to wear down A LOT...because the offense cannot stay on the field.

That being said, for them to take the pressure off the kid, they're going to be running a lot...and try to place close to the vest a lot....which is why the recipe for betting Jets games this season is play 1st half unders and because by the end of the game the defense is going to be gassed.

But the GM is a joke...the head coach and OC we have no clue yet, and the kid has NEVER seen a group of teammates who just can't make plays. I'll be shocked if Wilson makes it to midseason without getting hurt, because this offensive line REALL IS THAT BAD.

Scarf I get the feeling they have already chosen a path to simply remain in games, like that's some victory

Hard to fathom a New York team could be run as poorly as this one yet Woody is still banking. It seems criminal.

This team is a complete disaster. Zero skill position players with any playmaking ability...perhaps the worst offensive line in the league, hands down now with the Mekhi Becton injury at left tackle, a rookie head coach, a rookie offensive coordinatior, and a kid QB feels the need to try to do everything himself. It's like the same tape playing over again when Sam was here.

The defensive side of the ball is the strength of this team. Their front 7 isn't horrible and has held their own quite nicely so far. Their secondary (as a whole) leaves much to be totally desired, but most teams have that problem.

If the "new" plan after the abject disaster of last week is to make the kid play like Mac Jones and throw nothing but dump offs, then swell. Problem is this kid has NOBODY explosive to make plays for him on the offensive side of the ball. The Jets will hang in a lot of games this year, because their defense isn't total garbage....BUT...they are going to wear down A LOT...because the offense cannot stay on the field.

That being said, for them to take the pressure off the kid, they're going to be running a lot...and try to place close to the vest a lot....which is why the recipe for betting Jets games this season is play 1st half unders and because by the end of the game the defense is going to be gassed.

But the GM is a joke...the head coach and OC we have no clue yet, and the kid has NEVER seen a group of teammates who just can't make plays. I'll be shocked if Wilson makes it to midseason without getting hurt, because this offensive line REALL IS THAT BAD.
I totally expect an ultra conservative offensive gameplan which I believe to be a huge mistake. This team is going nowhere this season so let Wilson develop and make plays and live with the mistakes that rookie QBs make.

Douglas has been a huge disappointment as the GM. I was excited when he was hired figuring he learned something working under Ozzie all those years but it appears he isn't much better than the last dope which seemed virtually impossible. Salah looks and acts the part of a potentially good head coach but who knows how that will turn out. Its just amazing that year after year the roster just never seems to improve.

Anyone catch that kid on tic tok roasting the jets as he broke down a play? I don’t know how to give a link or anything cause I don’t know anything bout tik tok, I saw it on bleacher report. It was freaking hilarious tho so if anyone does know anything bout tiktok I would check it out!

Brewers is way high on Wilson so he not bitter!

I thought their defensive front 7 was gonna keep them competitive in lot of games but the injuries they had to that unit didn’t help matters much.

Back