Jason Kidd is the new Nets coach

• Thread starter Thread starter Mokey
  • Start date Start date
Oh and this is so strange to me when a guy like Brian Shaw was set to interview and has the pedigree and experience that Kidd doesn't ....

Nathan-Fillion-Loss-For-Words-Reaction-Gif.gif

Marc Stein@ESPNSteinLine<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">58s</small>
Nets' plans unchanged. Mikhail Prokhorov still sending private jet to bring Brian Shaw to Brooklyn tonight for interview Wednesday afternoon

Why would Jason Kidd work out any different than Avery Johnson? Seems like they'd be better off going with a bigger name like Jeff Van Gundy.

i agree

if JVG or Shaw get passed over for Kidd then the mad russian Rasputin needs to lay off the vodka

Why would Jason Kidd work out any different than Avery Johnson? Seems like they'd be better off going with a bigger name like Jeff Van Gundy.

Because Jason Kidd is an offensive genius. That's why. Yes there will be a learning curve but that's where his assistant coaches will come into play and Kidd still has strong ties with the franchise.

Jeff Van Gundy doesn't want the job apparently.

And Kidd will also be a good sell for the fans

The only possible reason to hire Kidd that I can see would be the hope that he's able to get through to Deron Williams...

Because Jason Kidd is an offensive genius. That's why. Yes there will be a learning curve but that's where his assistant coaches will come into play and Kidd still has strong ties with the franchise.

being a good pg doesn't make you an offensive genius

he's a smart pg, he knows the game... he is similar to mark jackson in that regard but I think jackson is more suited to be a coach with his motivational words and such... obviously kidd has a lot to learn as a coach but i dont really know why you would want shaw? If the nets can't land a big name coach like van gundy or even george karl, kidd is the only choice imo.... the old fashioned coaches clearly are not working so i dont see why its not worth a shot with kidd

mike singletary was a great defensive player, looked how he panned out.

j kidd being a coach seems more like a PR move for the Nets.

Last edited:
agree with renew, i think this is more of a marketing ploy than a serious attempt by the nets to get an efficient coach.

either way, i like kidd as a player. reserving my judgement for him as a coach.

i think mark jackson came in to a good situation with that young team...im not sure he would have the same success with a veteran group. I think is rah rah act would not have nearly the same effect with a more veteran group.

I just think it is really risky putting Kidd in charge of this group. Id like to see Kidd work his way up as an asst. THis Nets team has talent, not that far away

Lol if mark Jackson can do it why can't kidd? I love how everyone is against it.

Mark Jackson always seemed like 'good coach' material. When he was announcing, it wasn't difficult to see he'd make a great NBA coach. I'd like to hear Kidd announce games for as long as Jackson did before I'd say he'd be a good coach for sure, but I definitely think it's possible. PGs seem to make good coaches, their mentality and knowledge of the game just lends itself very well to coaching.

i think mark jackson came in to a good situation with that young team...im not sure he would have the same success with a veteran group. I think is rah rah act would not have nearly the same effect with a more veteran group.

I just think it is really risky putting Kidd in charge of this group. Id like to see Kidd work his way up as an asst. THis Nets team has talent, not that far away

This is Mark Jackson we're talking about. I'm sure he would adapt to his players, and I'm also pretty sure he'd be respected by any veterans on pretty much any team.

if kobe retired tomorrow, lakers should hire him.

Agreed that it may be rushing it for Kidd to get a coaching gig, but I do think he would make a good coach down the line. Kobe would as well, but like you're saying, not as soon as he's done playing.

exactly. its not like they cant be good coaches, but a professional franchise hiring a guy straight out of retirement? ridiculous. congrats if it works.

think its a joke...better candidates to get out there then him str8 from retirement

Hell maybe even Doc could be available but to pass on Shaw for him....:confused2:

Lol if mark Jackson can do it why can't kidd? I love how everyone is against it.
The popular belief (and probably true) is that players who were elite (or relatively elite) don't make for good head coaches because of the fact the game came too easy to them, and they simply can't relate and/or understand the shortcomings of lesser talented players.

Just look around the NBA: the only current head coach I would say who was an 'elite' player is Kevin McHale; otherwise, you're talking about bench warmers, grinders, one dimensional players, etc...

Mark Jackson didn't step off the court and into coaching. He was a broadcaster, he went to a lot of different practices. Its not a comparable situation whatsoever.

The popular belief (and probably true) is that players who were elite (or relatively elite) don't make for good head coaches because of the fact the game came too easy to them, and they simply can't relate and/or understand the shortcomings of lesser talented players.

Just look around the NBA: the only current head coach I would say who was an 'elite' player is Kevin McHale; otherwise, you're talking about bench warmers, grinders, one dimensional players, etc...

this is true for all sports, right?

Huge step back for a franchise that "was" close to turning the corner in my opinion. Kidd has no idea whatsoever the rigors of being an NBA coach. I really thought they were courting Kidd to get Shaw on the cheap.
Big mistake.

this is true for all sports, right?
Probably but, to be fair, I think it's been a while since an all star player became a head coach / manager. Bird did a good job with the Pacers, but Gretzky had a miserable time, and Mattingly's on life support.

Mattingly is a rag. Jansen should of been closer all year long, that probably itself cost the team 3-4 wins.

I think a decent manager would have the Dodgers @ .500 or right below. 3 games out of it.

Mattingly's roomate in the Yankee farm system, Buck Schowalter who never made in the bigs can coach with the best of them...further proof that the guys who grind all their life make the best coaches.

The Greatest Hockey Player of all time didn't do so well as a coach...

As per Mark Jackson, he took time off to study and analyze, he learnt, he wasn't thrown into the Wolves. Also he works well with youngsters, Kidd is thrown into a team with a bunch of headaches and ridiculous expectations.

He is? When has he coached before? He was a damn good PG, a HOFer even, but why does anyone think that automatically translates to being a good coach, especially when he has zero experience? That Nets owner is nothing but a dude with a lot of money. He makes horrible decision after horrible decision.

Back