Jason Babin Cut

gsro

Give me the NHL, or give me death
Iggles let him go....

The Philadelphia Eagles, in a midst of a seven-game losing streak and with their defense struggling, surprisingly released defensive end Jason Babin on Tuesday.
<!-- begin inline 1 --><!-- INLINE MODULE -->
[h=4]SportsNation: Eagles' Blame Game[/h]
espn_sportsnation_80.gif
The Eagles are searching for answers after their seventh straight loss. Who's most to blame for their disaster of a season?
Cast your vote!

<!-- END INLINE MODULE --><!-- end inline 1 -->Babin's release came after the team had earlier placed starting receiver DeSean Jackson on injured reserve with fractured ribs.
"We appreciate everything that Jason has given this team over the last couple of years. We wish him all the best as he continues his career," coach Andy Reid said in a statement. "By releasing him today, this gives us an opportunity to give more playing time to some of the younger guys in the defensive line rotation."
Babin, 32, had a career-best 18 sacks for the Eagles last season after re-signing with the team as a free agent two offseasons ago with a five-year, $28 million contract.
He had 5½ sacks this season.
The Eagles fired defensive coordinator Juan Castillo on Oct. 16 but Philadelphia has actually performed worse under new defensive coordinator Todd Bowles. Philadelphia has allowed over 30 points in four of the five games since Castillo's firing and 28 in the other -- all losses.

good. every week cut one or two more of these stiffs. i dont care if they are losing eveyr game 48-3 by the time week 17 comes around. IMO this is step one in implementing the attitude that you're not gonna stick around if you suck

Dude isnt made to play with a lead...dude is completely fucking worthless

not to mention the dumbest motherfucker in sports

fuck him

Figure its time to get back on CTG after that birds Monday Nighter, haha
Kurt Coleman should have been cut after that Santana Moss TD 2 weeks ago.
Glad to see Babin gone, let's see what Vinny Curry can do
should can Washburn too with his wide 9 BS

First of all there are no great free agents

Elite players dont become free agents until theyre past their usefulness (see: Assshole, Nnamdi)

Secondly, its the NFL...anyone can get cut at anytime...you think this will effect one person signing with the Eagles if theyre offering the most money?

Not a chance in hell.

Who was the last elite player who got to a team via free agency?

Drew Brees maybe?

And that was only because people thought his arm was gonna fall off

I bet no Philly fans hated this guy last year when his worthless ass got 18 sacks.

what does that matter though? if you wanna bang a chick when shes hot, are you obligated to still wanna bang her when she puts on 25lbs and develops herpes around her mouth?

If i'm not mistaken, the Eagles could win their last 5 games or whatever the number is on the schedule and still fall 3 short of their season total o/u number. #DreamTeam #Dynasty

what does that matter though? if you wanna bang a chick when shes hot, are you obligated to still wanna bang her when she puts on 25lbs and develops herpes around her mouth?

id hardly make that comparison here, the guy is one year removed from a monster year and his decline has a lot less to do with diminishing skills than it does overall organizational disfunction. Just seems like an odd thing to do IMO. If you are going to do this than go ahead and cut Vick and cut Desean Jackson and fire the entire staff etc etc. cutting this guy the day after a game where your entire team lost the game makes it look like they are blaming him instead of admitting the whole problem. Just a weird move.

Mario Williams isn't a franchise player

Peyton manning was the same extenuating circumstances as Brees (coming off huge injuries)

Deion and Reggie are the only two I can think of

Maybe you could make an argument for priest Holmes and Curtis martin

Everyone that comments in favor of Babin obviously does not follow this organization. Babin has been nothing but a cancer this year. Last year he played decent 18 sacks, but that is because that is all he was focused on. He is not a team player and he has no heart. He has given up on more plays then I care to discuss and then had the audacity to call out the fan base. I hope someone in our division picks him up along with the others that will be cut in the coming weeks.

Regarding Babin, yes see above. He is 100% right. Stats dont do justice how bad hes been this year.

As far as me predicting big things: yup. And I thought I wasnt being a homer too. I really thought the team was special. I still think they could have been after 2010 if they had proper personell off the field, but coaches and coordinators are god awful and they brought in the wrong players. Just an absolute mess.

Everyone that comments in favor of Babin obviously does not follow this organization. Babin has been nothing but a cancer this year. Last year he played decent 18 sacks, but that is because that is all he was focused on. He is not a team player and he has no heart. He has given up on more plays then I care to discuss and then had the audacity to call out the fan base. I hope someone in our division picks him up along with the others that will be cut in the coming weeks.
Just so we can all agree this is a whole fuckin shit ton better than "decent"....pretty awesome and amazing is better

smoke you stiil aint worried about the bears and saints season wins bet?

I think the bears bet is done....you still have a chance with me, only cuz the Saints sked is fucking brutal

ur not losing ur saints bet bro.

And the whole 18 sacks thing from last year is just like when McNabb was here and everyone outside fo philly just looked at stats told the fans who watch every single game that we dont appreciate him.

The wide 9 gimmick was instituted to get sacks. It worked to a degree last year before the rest of the league realized its so beatable and a huge joke of a system. However it did work for a little and Babin put up stats.

But thats all he did. Hes like a baseball player who hits .175, plays crappy defense, but hits 30 home runs. When nobody who watches the eagles consistently thinks this was a bad move or blaming the wrong player, you know he had to have been terrible

I hear ya Dwow...Im just saying...18 sacks is pretty fuckin awesome

Weird cut tho....smells like the Castillo send off

Get rid of that bum Desean Jackson....slot receiver at best and just a pussy

He got 18 sacks because he didn't do anything else. He only focused on the QB. RBs caught wind of this and consistently ran right past him. You would have to watch every game to notice this. I do agree 18 sacks is a great feat, but they're is a reason the birds defense wasn't that good last year either and had little to do with Castillo at def coord. I'm convinced Babin also ruined Trent cole. Cole was out top defensive player IMO.

[TABLE="class: stats_table nav_table"]
<thead>[TR]
[TH="class: leader_group, bgcolor: #DADCDE, align: center"]Rank[/TH]
[TH="class: leader_group, bgcolor: #DADCDE, align: center"]Player (age), + - HOFer, Bold - Active[/TH]
[TH="class: leader_group, bgcolor: #DADCDE, align: center"]Sk[/TH]
[TH="class: leader_group, bgcolor: #DADCDE, align: center"]Year[/TH]
[TH="class: leader_group, bgcolor: #DADCDE, align: center"]Teams[/TH]
[/TR]
</thead><tbody>[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1.[/TD]
[TD]Michael Strahan (30)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]22.5[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2001[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]NYG[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]2.[/TD]
[TD]Jared Allen (29)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]22.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2011[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]MIN[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"][/TD]
[TD]Mark Gastineau (28)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]22.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1984[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]NYJ[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]4.[/TD]
[TD]Reggie White+ (26)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]21.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1987[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]PHI[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Chris Doleman+ (28)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]21.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1989[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]6.[/TD]
[TD]Lawrence Taylor+ (27)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]20.5[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1986[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]7.[/TD]
[TD]Derrick Thomas+ (23)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]20.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1990[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]KAN[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]DeMarcus Ware (26)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]20.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2008[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]DAL[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]9.[/TD]
[TD]Tim Harris (25)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]19.5[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]GNB[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]DeMarcus Ware (29)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]19.5[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]DAL[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]11.[/TD]
[TD]Clyde Simmons (28)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]19.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1992[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Bruce Smith+ (27)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1990[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]BUF[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: hl, bgcolor: #FFFFAA !important"]
[TD]Mark Gastineau (27)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1983[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]NYJ[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]14.[/TD]
[TD]Jason Taylor (28)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]18.5[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2002[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]MIA[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Dexter Manley (27)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]WAS[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Andre Tippett+ (25)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1984[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]NWE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Michael Strahan (32)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2003[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]18.[/TD]
[TD]Keith Millard (27)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]18.0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Reggie White+ (25)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Reggie White+ (27)[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1988[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jason Babin (31)[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Thats the list

Not callin you a liar or whatever....Your team, you watch em more than me

He was the problem?

I bet he did something more than have a top 20 season sack total in history

just a guess...or someone didnt like him

or they loved him

many unknowns

Twinkie I dont watch the Eagles, and I've been telling Eagles fans for years now that they stink and they are finally willing to admit defeat. Putting up great numbers on a bad team is not always a great indicator. Sometimes systems induce you to have better numbers that exceed your skill

Twinkie I dont watch the Eagles, and I've been telling Eagles fans for years now that they stink and they are finally willing to admit defeat. Putting up great numbers on a bad team is not always a great indicator. Sometimes systems induce you to have better numbers that exceed your skill
I guess man. That just seems like alot. He had 12.5 sacks the year before for the Titans...has has 5.5 this year

He is the problem? I guess huh? Look these guys follow the eagles way more than me, but shit. I know they suck, but his fault? Seems like another head until the team is blown up

And the bad part for Iggs fan is .........Foles is the answer? I do not think so.....hope they dont

oh as far as him being the problem, I have no idea. Everyone on the offense seems to be the problem. The Eagles and Cowboys are examples of two teams live ive never seen that think they are talented but just arent. Just cuz you have names doesnt mean ur good.

BTW smoke wouldnt u say that Nnamdi was a superstar when he signed on the Eagles. Obviously he hasnt been any good for you guys.

I'm not saying he is the main problem. Trust me Nate Allen and Coleman suck and i don't know who evaluated Asomuga's talent as one below Revis. It's more of a disappointing defense then anything else. I am saying that Babin is much worse then his numbers lead you to believe last year.

we know the eagles are a mess and we don't need it rubbed in. what im hoping this babin cutting is is the beginning of things to come. A beginning of the team finally holding players accountable. When andy's gone you aren't going to have a coach taking "full responsibility" for every loss. Babin was a joke on and off the field this season, and now hes gone. Hopefully, this continues. Like I said, I dont care if they are losing 48-3 every game by week 17, as long as there is somewhat of an attitude change to carry over into next season.

Alex brings up a good point though

Whos the qb going forward?

It sure as hell ain't Foles. He's awful

Do you reach for Geno smith or Matt Barkley?

Alex smith? Trade for Flynn?

The best optiOn might be Vick......

i read something that they coudlnt do that. not sure how that works though.

The qb situation stinks, but hold your horses on saying Foles sucks. Remeber in the not too distant past there was once a time when qbs didnt have to come in and become MVP candidates in their first few games. Foles has the size and the arm to be an NFL qb. If he can develop decision making skills and work on his footwork, it could work.

I think we need to get the o-line healthy next year, use every pick and every cap dollar on defense, and come into next season with a revamped d, Foles at qb throwing 20 or less x a game, and Shady and Bryce running running running. Shady should get 25 touches a game and Bryce 15.

I just have no desire to reach on Barkley or Smith, who I think are both garbage. Flynn was worked out by 5 teams who passed on him, then the one who signed him gave his job to a rookie 5'10 3rd rounder (granted i like wilson) before he ever got to start a game.

Odds are were not going anywhere in a year next year anyway. Go into 2013 with the goals of improving d significantly and running the ball and see if Foles can just not lose games. If hes still garbage, then maybe there will be a better qb class in the following draft, or a free agent worth signing.

no way vick is back. unless reid is back too and in that case there may be citywide riots.

the ONE thing that i MIGHT think is alright is if we bring in Chip Kelly and keep Vick. Can you imagine a Kelly-run offense with vick, mccoy, bryce, desean, etc. They may not be good but that would be fun to watch at least

Foles is garbage

he has no pocket awareness, and his arm isn't that good

the things he needs to work on should have been figured out the last 2-3 years in school, a guy like Cam who is only making it because of athletic ability has better decision making and poise

So he'll be there at pick 34?

If Bill O'Brien can make Matt McGloin look good, cant wait to see what he can do with Barkley!

Back