Iverson to 'Stons...Dyess and Big Shot to Denver?

so if i already had my bet in for detroit tonight is there anyway to get out of it

so if i already had my bet in for detroit tonight is there anyway to get out of it

You can buy out of it by taking the Bobcats and lose the juice. Let it ride on Detroit. I think we still cover this one at 6 imo. More money on the Bobcats side now. Line dropped to 4.So if you buy out you also have a chance of getting middled.

Detroit wins by DD.

None of new guys will play for a day or two either way. My best guess would be if all physicals go fine, which they should we see Iverson's debut in the Detroit blue Wednesday night in Toronto.

Wonder what number AI wears here?

Stuckey ain't giving up that three.

I doubt it was simply to make room for this summer. As we all know, the big names (not only LeBron) will be free agents in 2010 and not 2009 and I doubt Detroit will be a lottery team in 09/10 season (at least not if they can do anything about it).
I think that it was the right move, since Detroit's offense was too simple always and too many times in the playoff they were simply stuck, unable to make points. Now it is much easier for them. Iverson on the other hand, knows two things, this is his last chance to win the Championship (unless he will do Payton, Malone thing for one year, just for the ring) and that unlike Denver that was a team flying low, that he was expected to rise, here he comes to a contender for the title team that he should make the Champion.
Brave decision by Dumars, but he was right in his previous decision (not to pay Big Ben what he demanded for start).

from ESPN.com

I clipped this excerpt...pretty good stuff

The Pistons add up-tempo Iverson -- in a contract year -- when he will be eager to prove that it was no fluke he made it to the Finals in 2001. That's just an hors d'oeuvre.
Down, the road the Pistons becomes the driving force of big-time free agency as soon as Iverson's contract comes off the books next summer. The Pistons will combine a winning environment, one of the most respected general managers in the game, and -- depending on salary cap levels that are yet to be set, and extensions that may yet be given to existing Pistons -- likely enough cap space to sign two free agent players to max contracts over the next summers of 2009 and 2010.
Feast your eyes on this list of players who will be available. 2010 free agents include LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire, Ray Allen, Tyson Chandler, Manu Ginobili, Richard Jefferson, Joe Johnson, Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Redd.
The two that jump out to me are, of course, Chris Bosh and LeBron James. They played together nicely on Team USA, and now Dumars can at least entertain the notion of signing not one of those two, but both.
A team that suspects one of those players might leave via free agency in 2010 might be compelled to realize some value for the player by dealing with a team under the cap like the Pistons in the summer of 2009. (The NBA's rules about matching up salaries in trades only apply to teams that are over the salary cap. Once Iverson's big contract is off the books next summer, the Pistons will be able to deal freely.)
Today Joe Dumars has parlayed a 32-year-old point guard into a rental of Allen Iverson, and the bedrock players of the Pistons' long-term future.
While there is significant risk -- the Pistons with Billups were contenders this year, and they make take a step back -- this may well come to be seen as the greatest move yet from one of the NBA's sharpest general managers.

grabbed the total on Det earlier in day so Imma happy...gonna let it ride

could see lots more scoring with Big Slowdown gone...Stuckey is a young gun and AI never seen a shot he didnt like

good to see Mr. "practice?!?!!....practice?!?!?" back in the EAST

LOL Ret...

Btw,

Hearing some rumors that Dice will be bought out right away and could be back in the Red and Blue before long. Wow. Same thing happened with the Sheed trade in 2004. Lindsey came back and was a huge playoff factor after the buyout.

The tentative trade between the Detroit Pistons and the Denver Nuggets should become official within the next couple of hours.
While the key players in the trade remain Pistons guard Chauncey Billups and top reserve Antonio McDyess for Denver's Allen Iverson, McDyess' reluctance to be included in the deal may be resolved.
According to the Denver Post, the Nuggets plan to buy out the remainder of McDyess' contract. That would allow him to become a free agent, and presumably re-sign with Detroit for the veteran's minimum.

Andy Miller, the agent for both Billups and McDyess, said the 34-year-old McDyess was not happy when he learned of the trade. His client gave thought to several options, including retirement.

Billups, however, isn't as torn about the trade.
He is a Denver native, and by most accounts considered one of the greatest prep players to ever come out of city.
"From Chauncey's point of view, its kind of a mixed bag of feelings," Miller said. "He feels very good about what he's done in Detroit, the legacy he has left. And coming back home to Denver, it's sort of like coming full circle for him."
For Detroit, the trade has several ramifications now as well as for the franchise's future.
By trading away Billups and McDyess for Iverson, the Pistons would shave about $34 million off their books in salary over the next three seasons. Billups makes $11.05 million this season and has another three years remaining on his contract that's worth about $40 million, while McDyess will make about $6.8 million and he has another year after this season for a similar amount. Iverson is in the last year of his deal which pays $20.84 million this season.
The trade also provides Detroit with a dynamic player who has been among the league's top players for more than a decade, and will surely help get a few more warm bodies in The Palace.
But you have to wonder, just how much does Iverson still have left?
The Pistons are banking on enough to get them back to the NBA Finals.
Detroit coach Michael Curry did not address the potential trade following the team's morning shoot-around, which included the media session being pushed back an hour.
"I don't comment on trades," Curry said.
When asked where Billups and McDyess were this morning - neither was at the team's morning shoot-around - Curry said they had an excused absence.
"They were excused from practice," said Curry, who tried to get the conversation more geared on talking about Detroit's opponent tonight, Charlotte. "What we got going on? Let's (talk about) Charlotte. Those are my two responses. No comment about anything with a trade, and Dice and Chauncey were excused from practice this morning."
I asked him whether he anticipated them in the lineup tonight.
"Yeah, unless I hear otherwise," said Curry, who added that both players did travel with the team to Charlotte.
Rasheed Wallace had heard about the possible trade, but added he didn't know for sure if it was a done deal or not.
"We'll see how it plays out," said Wallace, who reiterated that he did not know for sure if the deal was done or not. "I can't really count on it too much. That's not a Guaransheed right there, so I can't count on it too much."
Through two games, the 32-year-old Billups is averaging 12.5 points and 7.5 assists (14.8 points and 5.5 assists for his career), while the 33-year-old Iverson, is averaging 18.7 points and 6.7 assists through three games (27.7 and 6.3 for his career).
McDyess, 34, has come off the bench to average 7 points and 4 rebounds in a pair of games.

According to the Denver Post, the Nuggets plan to buy out the remainder of McDyess' contract. That would allow him to become a free agent, and presumably re-sign with Detroit for the veteran's minimum.

:cheers:

grabbed the total on Det earlier in day so Imma happy...gonna let it ride

could see lots more scoring with Big Slowdown gone...Stuckey is a young gun and AI never seen a shot he didnt like

good to see Mr. "practice?!?!!....practice?!?!?" back in the EAST

this can't be over looked, I lost myself a few unders when Stuckey came in and thought he was B-diddy.

love love love this trade if that happens

Its not like the guy taking it from him is some journeyman vet either

this guy is pound for pound the best player in NBA history and a sure fire hall of famer

this guy is pound for pound the best player in NBA history and a sure fire hall of famer

HOF? Absolutely.

Best pound for pound. No. Second as of right now. And will be third once Chris Paul finishes his career. No matter what people think of him now Isiah far and away was best pound for pound ever. Not even close. And I have always been a big Iverson fan, not a hater.

HOF? Absolutely.

Best pound for pound. No. Second as of right now. And will be third once Chris Paul finishes his career. No matter what people think of him now Isiah far and away was best pound for pound ever. Not even close. And I have always been a big Iverson fan, not a hater.
:shake:

I dont get why Denver wants to buy out McDyess' contract. I would take him over Nene and Kmart right now.

i agree, stucks should bite the bullet and give AI the 3 outta respect. Especially if AI isn't gonna be with the team for more seasons.

that said if he doesn't, i can understand, he is the future of the franchise.

:shake:

I dont get why Denver wants to buy out McDyess' contract. I would take him over Nene and Kmart right now.

I agree with you absolutely. That being said, I will take him right back. A great community guy and he still has that hunger. He came here in 2005. He was a year removed from a 'Ship. He has fought his ass off each year in playoffs. True gamer.

next on the list for Dumars is shopping Sheed around for a young low post presence.

next on the list for Dumars is shopping Sheed around for a young low post presence.

No point for that now. Sheed is off the books at end of year. While 09's FA class isn't much we all know about '10.

Bosh would look good in Red,White and Blue.

My guess though, speculation, is that Sheed is part of a sign and trade over summer in some sort of capacity while still giving Detroit room in '10 for a marquee FA.

I heard this guy was gonna be thrown in the trade but then they realized the stronger in the second half theory is no longer working 48 pts and a hook and ladder play later:

ncf_barwis_200.jpg

Awful trade for the pistons IMO, AI is not the same AI from 76ers, AI has no defense. NUGGETS STEAL ONE or should I say two...AM is improving every year

Article from Chad Ford on ESPN.COM

In June, Pistons president Joe Dumars promised to shake things up after Detroit lost for the third straight time in the Eastern Conference finals.
"Make no mistake, everybody is in play right now," said Dumars then. "There are no sacred cows here. You lose that sacred cow status when you lose three straight years."
After a summer of trade rumors, including a reported attempt to acquire Denver Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony, Dumars had to explain himself in training camp when the Pistons failed to make a deal.
But one week into the season, Dumars pulled the trigger on a deal with the Nuggets. On Monday the Pistons decided to take the Nuggets' second-best player, agreeing to a swap of Chauncey Billups and Antonio McDyess for Denver's Allen Iverson.
The move is stunning for several reasons.
One, Dumars' original strategy was to package a couple of the Pistons' core players for a young, emerging star. But Iverson is 33 years old. While he's still an excellent scorer, his best years are behind him.
Two, it appeared that the Pistons weren't interested in a deal that would essentially just clear cap space. But with Iverson hitting free agency this summer, that's exactly what this deal appears to be.
So what's going on in Detroit?
Whatever you want to say about Joe Dumars, the guys isn't afraid to take risks. Some of them, like drafting Darko Milicic, a little-known 17-year-old, have backfired (though swapping Milicic for the right to draft Rodney Stuckey has mitigated that). But most of the time, Dumars has shown the Midas touch in making risky moves, whether making trades for Rip Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace, drafting Tayshaun Prince, signing Billups to a big deal or letting Ben Wallace go, Dumars has proven he knows what he's doing.
My conversation with Dumars on Monday revealed at least four key factors in this latest gambit:
First, he has always been a fan of Iverson. In the summer of 2000, the Pistons made an aggressive move to acquire Iverson in a whopping, 14-player deal -- at the last second the deal was scuttled when Matt Geiger refused to waive his trade kicker.
At the time, Iverson was in his prime, just months away from winning the NBA MVP award. These days Iverson doesn't have the same speed or quickness, but he's still a devastating offensive force, averaging 26.4 points and 7.1 assists per game last season. Both of those numbers would have been team highs for the Pistons.
Iverson gives the Pistons more punch, especially at the end of the game. While he's not the defender or distributor Billups is, he immediately steps in as the team's best scorer.
Dumars will welcome Iverson's fiery attitude as well -- the Pistons' boss had felt his team was too complacent.
All in all, the Pistons feel that with Iverson they will be just as competitive as they were with Billups.
Second, the emergence of Rodney Stuckey made Billups expendable. Dumars believes Stuckey is the point guard of the future in Detroit. Billups has four more years on his contract, and Dumars didn't want Stuckey playing a sixth man role that long.
While it's likely Iverson will start in the backcourt with Richard Hamilton this season, when Iverson hits free agency next year, Stuckey should take over as the starting point guard in Detroit.
Stuckey has proven to be an explosive scorer. His point guard skills are still in question, but the Pistons believe he'll be just fine with more experience. Many around the league see Stuckey as a young Baron Davis type of point guard. He had better be, because Dumars is showing extraordinary faith in him by making this move.
To a lesser extent, moving McDyess is also about providing opportunity for young players -- in particular, the emerging frontcourt of Jason Maxiell and Amir Johnson. The Pistons are high on both players and want to know by the summer if they have what it takes to anchor the Pistons' inside game.
Third, trading Billups and McDyess for Iverson will clear significant salary cap space for the Pistons. If Dumars lets both Iverson and Detroit's other significant free agent, Rasheed Wallace, walk next summer, the team will be approximately $21 to $22 million under the cap.
The 2009 free agent class has a number of interesting players the Pistons could pursue. Carlos Boozer can opt out of his contract and could prove to be a big upgrade at the power forward position. The Pistons could also pursue restricted free agents such as Marvin Williams and David Lee.
Or the Pistons could be patient and wait until the summer of 2010, when the star-studded free-agent class is expected to include LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, who might be Detroit's most realistic target.
Fourth, the Pistons have set a high standard in Detroit the past few years, and Dumars did not want to go through a long, messy rebuilding process.
Dumars should still have a very competitive team this season. With a core of Iverson, Hamilton, Stuckey, Prince and Wallace, the Pistons are still in the elite tier in the Eastern Conference.
Though the team may take a small step backward next year with both Iverson and Wallace potentially leaving, the development of Stuckey, Maxiell and Johnson should keep the Pistons very competitive. And in the next two years, if the Pistons can add a significant piece or two, they may well return to power in the East.
All that said, this trade presents significant risks for the Pistons.
First, they have to hope that Iverson is able to mix well with his teammates and keep his focus on the Pistons' success, even though he knows he'll probably be in Detroit for only this season. If he begins fretting about a lack of an extension, it could be a major distraction in Detroit.
Second, Dumars is banking on Stuckey being the real deal. His talent is undeniable, but he has to become a star to justify the trade.
Third, the Pistons are still weak on their front line. By trade or free agency, Dumars needs to bring in a significant player to help down low with both scoring and defense. If he doesn't, Detroit will struggle to remain among the elite teams in the East.
Once again, Joe Dumars has made a major gamble. But if his track record means anything, we shouldn't bet against Joe D.

"We are pleased to welcome Allen Iverson to the Pistons organization," Dumars said in a statement. "Allen has proven he is one of the elite players in the league and we like what he adds to our roster at the guard position.

"We appreciate everything that Chauncey Billups, Antonio McDyess and Cheikh Samb brought to the organization during their time here in Detroit and we certainly wish them all the best."

It remains to be seen how McDyess' status is resolved, as the 34-year-old reportedly has no interest in playing for any team other than the Pistons, meaning McDyess could choose to retire or negotiate a contract buyout with Denver.

No point for that now. Sheed is off the books at end of year. While 09's FA class isn't much we all know about '10.

Bosh would look good in Red,White and Blue.

My guess though, speculation, is that Sheed is part of a sign and trade over summer in some sort of capacity while still giving Detroit room in '10 for a marquee FA.

every time I see Bosh play I picture him in a Pistons jersey.

I will always wonder how great the Stons would have been if they had drafted him instead of Darko.

Detroit Trade

Does anyone think that Detroit initiated this trade so they could make a play for Lebron James at the end of the season.:4_12_12:

Awful trade for the pistons IMO, AI is not the same AI from 76ers, AI has no defense. NUGGETS STEAL ONE or should I say two...AM is improving every year

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Detroit's great teams have been built on effort on both ends of the floor and Iverson is pretty much the antithesis of this. I wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit miss the playoffs this year.

something needs to be done about buying people out and then having them just go back to the team that traded them

doesnt seem right

Back