Is the New Brass At USC Crazy?

Helton signed through 2023 and word is a nearly 15M (maybe higher) to buy him out. this decision would be as much financial as it is about football.

besides, the last few hires before him were kiffiin and sark, were those guys any better than him?

how come no big names want to coach football at this school? pete carroll was the 4th or 5th choice when he was hired.

How in the world would USC give a coach with no bargaining power whatsoever a contract with that kind of buyout included. The athletic directors at some of these schools are so incredibly dumb that its hard to comprehend.

How in the world would USC give a coach with no bargaining power whatsoever a contract with that kind of buyout included. The athletic directors at some of these schools are so incredibly dumb that its hard to comprehend.

I agree. it's pretty crazy. we here in the peanut gallery know it, but the ADs do not. unbelievable.

Helton signed through 2023 and word is a nearly 15M (maybe higher) to buy him out. this decision would be as much financial as it is about football.

besides, the last few hires before him were kiffiin and sark, were those guys any better than him?

how come no big names want to coach football at this school? pete carroll was the 4th or 5th choice when he was hired.
15 for USC? Seems cheap

As for Helton's recruiting....his employers bear some responsibility. Recruiting will slip when your name comes up as possibly being fired every year. Players want stability, not worrying that he will be gone after their freshman year.

USC has decided to retain Clay Helton, who now finds himself in a very difficult position. Helton MUST improve on his 8-4 record and must win the Pac 12, now that Washington 's Petersen is gone. The schedule for next season is brutal, and according to some sources, had something to do with the decision. Next season, USC opens in Dallas against what will be a very pissed off Alabama team. Other away games include trips to Oregon, Stanford, Utah, Arizona and across town to UCLA. They get Arizona, Cal, Colorado and Washington at home, and get to end the season with a game that Helton must win, against Notre Dame. Losses on the road to Oregon, Stanford, and Utah are certainly possible, and with a sure loss to Alabama to start the season, some say that the 2021 season is a much better time to hire a new head coach. Substituting UC Davis at home for Alabama certainly should make things much easier. Substituting Oregon State and Washington State for Oregon and Washington does not hurt either. It is also the start of the 7 home game season for USC. I was also told that by waiting until 2021. there may be a big name head coach ready to make a move. USC would save a lot of money on buyouts. So USC fans, we suffer for another year.

You said a ton to say your 1st sentence. It’s unreal what is leaving now....
Elias Ricks to LSU, Thibofeaux to Oregon and on and on.
And this is IN the Backyard ffs
DJ Uigalelei from St John Bosco to Clemson!

USC has decided to retain Clay Helton, who now finds himself in a very difficult position. Helton MUST improve on his 8-4 record and must win the Pac 12, now that Washington 's Petersen is gone. The schedule for next season is brutal, and according to some sources, had something to do with the decision. Next season, USC opens in Dallas against what will be a very pissed off Alabama team. Other away games include trips to Oregon, Stanford, Utah, Arizona and across town to UCLA. They get Arizona, Cal, Colorado and Washington at home, and get to end the season with a game that Helton must win, against Notre Dame. Losses on the road to Oregon, Stanford, and Utah are certainly possible, and with a sure loss to Alabama to start the season, some say that the 2021 season is a much better time to hire a new head coach. Substituting UC Davis at home for Alabama certainly should make things much easier. Substituting Oregon State and Washington State for Oregon and Washington does not hurt either. It is also the start of the 7 home game season for USC. I was also told that by waiting until 2021. there may be a big name head coach ready to make a move. USC would save a lot of money on buyouts. So USC fans, we suffer for another year.
Just taking a quick glance, won't USC be the favorite in that conference next year?

So yes, the pressure will be on to perform.

A couple of writers who actually get paid for doing stuff like this made a valid point. What they said was this. OIn 2020. USC faces a very difficult schedule. Most head coaches looking for a job would not want to face that schedule out of the gate. The important thing to remember is that USC's first two choices, Urban Meyer and James Franklin, are going nowhere next season. They will be around in 2021, when it will be a lot cheaper for USC to go after them.

So Urban and/or Franklin are waiting an extra year to let sc’s recruiting and national reputation fall even further into the shitter? Thereby reducing their overall talent level and resources for when they do take the job? Just so they can avoid having to play Bama and a bunch of pac schools on the road? Uhhh ok.

And are these the same expert sports writers who had Urban to sc down in ink and already out on the recruiting trail? The same sports writers who 2 days ago were all over the internet saying that Helton had been fired?

Sc fans are getting trolled ridiculously hard on this one.

And Urban/Franklins price won’t be any cheaper next year.

Last edited:
They didn’t give Ed Orgeron the full time job because they didn’t like the sound of his voice.....

They didn’t give Ed Orgeron the full time job because they didn’t like the sound of his voice.....

but they hid behind the fact that he shatt the bed in 3 seasons at ole miss and could not beat SC's two biggest rivals when he was interim coach.

but they hid behind the fact that he shatt the bed in 3 seasons at ole miss and could not beat SC's two biggest rivals when he was interim coach.
HOLD ON PLAYA

He clearly took a different approach when he came back to SC after the dismal performance at ole miss and he went 6-2 with them during the 8 game tenure he was the interim HC. SC had also lost to UCLA the year prior.
I get he doesn’t fall in line with your typical SoCal douchebag but he may have been the one that got away.

HOLD ON PLAYA

He clearly took a different approach when he came back to SC after the dismal performance at ole miss and he went 6-2 with them during the 8 game tenure he was the interim HC. SC had also lost to UCLA the year prior.
I get he doesn’t fall in line with your typical SoCal douchebag but he may have been the one that got away.

I'm a fan of coach O. I'm just telling you what my SC fan buddies said at the time. They cited the three 4 win seasons at ole miss and the the losses to ND and ucla while interim.

Coach O has great Coordinators and a great QB. I want him to do well but this thing could go either way the next 3 seasons.

Saban isn't going anywhere.

I'm a fan of coach O. I'm just telling you what my SC fan buddies said at the time. They cited the three 4 win seasons at ole miss and the the losses to ND and ucla while interim.

Coach O has great Coordinators and a great QB. I want him to do well but this thing could go either way the next 3 seasons.

Saban isn't going anywhere.
Either way next 3 seasons? If you mean the competition is extremely tough in the SEC West, I get that.
But LSU grooves when they move right now homie

Either way next 3 seasons? If you mean the competition is extremely tough in the SEC West, I get that.
But LSU grooves when they move right now homie

I think it's entirely possible that O caught lightning in a bottle this season. It's also possible that he will be able to sustain what happened this season. Probably somewhere in between. I do know that nobody will work harder than he will, because he still considers himself the luckiest person in the world that he has this job.

I think it's entirely possible that O caught lightning in a bottle this season.
To this level of success I would say it’s much more likely than not. Think of the circumstances that resulted in Burrow landing at LSU to begin with, then consider how much different this team and season looks had he merely had a great year instead of a legendary one.

I wouldn’t expect a collapse but not really sold that we’re going to be serious CFP contenders on a regular basis either.

I wouldn’t expect a collapse but not really sold that we’re going to be serious CFP contenders on a regular basis either.

Agreed on this. Wasn't orgeron on the hot seat not too long ago?

He struck gold with burrow and brady.

I'm in the "he can do it every year" school.

Doesn't mean he will be undefeated and win the SEC every year. The division is too tough for that. But LSU has everything when it comes to football. No school has a single advantage over them.

Orgeron proved he knows what he's doing. He admitted--publicly--the mistakes he made in previous stops and said he was going to learn from them, then proved he had. He's the guy who looked at what was a good offense last year--better than LSU is used to--saw it wasn't good enough and made the staff adjustments it took to make it the best in football. And made sure the change went smoothly with the staff. That takes talent.

That was the only question about him. He's a top level recruiter and motivator and coach. Now he's proved he knows how to run a program.

LSU always has more good players then they know what to with and the state is always full of more good players than LSU can take and the fans are as good as any in the country.

And there is no coach in the country who fits the culture of his fan base better than he does. This is the start of a great era for LSU

Last edited:
They haven't won an outright title in decades and decades. They are riding the brand name of pre-eighties football

Back