Irish Open

LeRinkRat

Pretty much a regular
this season @ Ballyliffin GC, County Donegal, Ireland

last season @ Portstewart GC, Londonderry, Northern Ireland

WINNER [-24] Jon Rahm
tied 2nd [-18] Richie Ramsay and Matthew Southgate
tied 4th [-17] Justin Rose, Ryan Fox, David Drysdale and Daniel Im

of note CUTS last year: Rory McIlroy, Rafael Cabrera-Bello, Tyrrell Hatton, Dylan Frittelli, Kiradech Aphibarnrat, Graeme McDowell, Lucas Bjerragaard, Jorge Campillo, Alex Levy, Chris Paisley, Nacho Elvira, Matt Wallace, George Coetzee, Nicky Colsaerts, Jeunghun Wang and Lee Westwood

this season favorites: Rory McIlroy @ 6-1, Jon Rahm @ 7-1, Rafael Cabrera-Bello & Matthew Fitzpatrick @ 20-1. Andy Sullivan, Thorbjorn Olesen & Shane Lowry 25-1. Russell Knox & Paul Dunne 28-1

here are my "to win" plays (bet/return)
Julian Suri 40-1(12.50/512.50) tied 2nd Open de France [-6] tied 8th Houston Open [-13]
Alex Bjork 40-1 (12.50/512.50) tied 8th Open de France [-4] WIN China Open [-18]
Matt Wallace 50-1 (10/510) WIN BMW International [-10] tied 3rd China Open [-16] WIN Indian Open [-11]
Lucas Bjerregaard 50-1 (10/510) tied 5th BMW International [-8] tied 3rd BMW PGA [-14] 5th Sicilian Open [-14] 6th China Open [-15]
Jorge Campillo 50-1 (10/510) tied 8th Open de France [-4] tied 3rd China Open [-16] tied 5th Open de Espana [-15] 2nd Maybank [-19]
Adrian Otaegui 60-1 (8.35/509.35) tied 12th Open de France [-3] WIN Belgian Knockout 2nd China Open [-17]
Mikko Korhonen 60-1 (8.35/509.35) tied 2nd BMW International [-9] WIN Shot Clock Masters-Austria [-16]
Ryan Fox 60-1 (8.35/509.35) tied 8th Italian Open [-16] tied 3rd Maybank [-18] tied 4th both Irish & Scottish Opens last year
Shubhankar Sharma 80-1 (6.25/506.25) WIN Maybank [-21] WIN Joberg Open [-23]
Marcus Kinhult 80-1 (6.25/506.25) tied 5th Open de France [-5] (3rd round leader [-10]) tied 12th BMW PGA [-9] 3rd Qatar Masters [-16]
Matthew Southgate 75-1(7.532) tied 5th Open de France [-5] (shot final round [-6]) tied 2nd Irish Open last year
Fabrizio Zanotti 100-1 (5/505) tied 15th BMW PGA [-8] tied 7th Oman Open [-10] tied 9th Abu Dhabi [-14]
Chris Paisley 100-1(5/505) 5th DDC [-17] tied 5th Abu Dhabi [-17] WIN SA Open [-21]
Scott Hend 100-1 (5/505) tied 7th BMW International [-7] tied 14th Italian Open [-15]
Nacho Elvira 100-1 (5/505) tied 9th BMW International [-6] tied 14th China Open [-12] 3rd Open de Espana [-17]
Aaron Rai 100-1 (5/505) tied 5th BMW International [-8] three time winner Challenge Tour last year
Pablo Larrazabal 125-1 (4/504) tied 4th Indian Open [-7] tied 4th Qatar Masters [-15] tied 3rd Maybank [-18]
Jeunghun Wang 125-1 (4/504) tied 7th China Open [-14] tied 13th Trophee Hassan [-2] tied 6th DDC [-16]

waiting for tourney match play listings :shake:

just two tourney match plays as of Tuesday both @ William-Hill (bet/return)

Jon Rahm +105 over Rory McIlroy (50/102.50)
Matt Wallace +110 over Chris Wood (50/105)

"Rahmbo" like links (unless it's Shinnecock) and WON this event last season BUT on a different course. BOTH he and Rory were CUT @ US Open. "Rahmbo" T-5th last week Open de France [-5] and WON the Open de Espana this season [-20] Rory been OK playing the PGA Tour recently and did get solo 2nd BMW PGA [-15] to "The Mole" [-17]

"WALL-E" a bit of a gamble. he has a LOT of "Cocker Tommy" Fleetwood in his game either fighting for the lead OR a CUT. was a CUT last week Open de France BUT WON BMW International [-10] the week before. CUT at BOTH Trophee Hassan and Open de Espana this season BUT WON Indian Open [-11]. "Woody" T-2nd last week Open de France [-6] his best finish before that solo 2nd @ Oman Open [-14]

"Woody's" "to win" popped up to 35-1. had a good tourney Open de France T-2nd with Julian Suri and Russell Knox [-6] and was 2nd to Marcus Kinhult going into the final round [-8] SO Chris Wood a "tack on" bet $14 return $504 :)

well I stepped in it but good THIS week. I do NOT know WHAT has happened to Matt Wallace BUT since his Open qualification winning the BMW International two weeks ago "WALL-E" has just STUNK!!! CUT last week Open de Franc and NOW shoots a 1st round [+8] in Ireland!!! Chris Wood with a [-2] and "Rhambo" 1st round [+2] vs Rory [-2] so "behind the eight ball" in BOTH tourney match plays :mad:

at least some of my "to win" plays in contention. Ryan Fox the 1st round leader [-5] BUT with oodles of players either [-4] or [-3] including Alex Bjork, Nacho Elvira and Adrian Otaegui [-3]. the wind not that strong today but the Ballyliffin GC greens must be kind of "squirrely" when usually good putters like Matthew Fitzpatrick can NOT make 6 foot putts and shoot a [+5] and THAT with was birdies on #17 & #18. LOT of golf left to play BUT over half my "to win" plays below the projected [even] CUT line including (obviously) Matt Wallace [+8], Scott Hend [+6] Marcus Kinhult [+5] and Julian Suri [+4]. the CURSE of getting an Open qualification last week for Kinhult and Suri ??? :golffrustrated:

well the CUT came in @ [+1] and 40% of my "to win" plays got "trimmed" the GOOD news is Ryan Fox tied for the lead with a 2nd round [-3] for tourney [-8] with Frenchman Matthieu Pavon [-4] and young South African Eric Van Rooyen with the low round of the day [-7] Fox and Pavon NOT yet qualified for the Open Championship

"WALL-E" a CUT @ [+9] ends his match play with "Woody" BUT "Rahmbo" and Rory TIED [-1] going into the weekend. "WALL-E" should probably just take next week off and get ready for Carnoustie in two weeks :(

Last edited:
well Good God Gertie!!! the week where NEITHER the Westgate OR William-Hill have odds on Eric Van Rooyen he is the 3rd round leader with a [-6] for tourney [-14] four shots up on both Ryan Fox [-3] and the Swedish kid Joakim Lagergrim [-4] for tourney [-10]. Van Rooyen odds usually 100-1 to 150-1 and I always "sprinkle" a little on him. Van Rooyen already has a British Open qualification with his 2nd at the Joberg Open earlier this season and is NOW 200-1 after opening @ 300-1. Fox and Lagergrin yet to qualify although Lagergrin did win the Sicilian Open back in May

in a "blast from the past", Danny Willett shot [-3] for [-9] in 4th place with Russell Knox [-4] for [-8] in 5th. Willett played well at the recent Italian Open with a T-8th and Knox with T-2nd Open de France last week and T-12th US Open so his British Open "to win" 200-1 definitely worth a "sprinkle"

at least Jon Rahm pulling away from Rory McIlroy with a [-5] for tourney [-6] vs [even] for [-1]. after my WRECK with Matt Wallace this week I sure hope "Rhambo" doesn't SCREW it UP!!!

Last edited:
Jesus CHRIST!!! got up early to watch the final round back side and watched Russel Knox just STEAL $500 bucks RIGHT out of my Westgate account!!! the son of a bitch GAGS a 40 foot putt on #18 to TIE Ryan Fox @ [-14] in regulation THEN does it AGAIN from the SAME SPOT 1st hole of the playoff!!! "Foxy" MISS an 8 footer for the outright WIN in regulation THEN RIMS OUT his 12 footer to keep the playoff going. you can argue the Knox is THE "hot" for the British Open with a WIN here and tied 2nd Open de France last week. just pressed his British Open 200-1 another $5 @ William-Hill.

the GOOD news for "Foxy is he qualifies for the British Open and I will be VERY interested to see WHAT his "to win" odds are. also Jorge Campillo with solo 3rd after a final [-7] for [-13]. he was already qualified for the British Open so I had "sprinkled" $2 on his opening 500-1 odds and just pressed $4 at 250-1. I swear Jorge is gonna get his first WIN in a Euro Tour tourney this season he has been SO close SO often

AND this is WHY they call Eric Van Rooyen "Van RUIN" for his final round FADES. was the final pairing with Joakim Lagergrin and shoots [+2] for [-12]. Lagergrin with [+3] for [-7] which BLOWS his British open qual. also Jon Rahm with a final round [-6] for tourney [-12] tied 4th with Van Rooyen and THAT was with a triple bogie on #2 to start his round but THEN seven birdies and an eagle including birdies the last four holes. he hit the flag with his 3rd shot pitch on the par five #17. he WINS his tourney match play with Rory McIlroy [-12] to [-2]. his British Open "to win" odds still 25-1 @ William-Hill

all and all a VERY disappointing tourney for me getting ROBBED by Russell Knox. TWO 50 foot GAG putts to FINISH ??? THAT is a freeking BAD BEAT!!! :golffrustrated:

Last edited:
looks like the three British Open qualifiers out of Ireland are Ryan Fox 2nd place, South African Zander Lombard and Andy Sullivan tied 6th. somewhat surprised Andy was NOT already qualified :confused:

Westgate opened Ryan Fox British Open "to win" odds @ 150-1. looks low to me BUT still worth a $7 "sprinkle". Andy Sullivan @ 150-1 @ William-Hill and Zander Lombard @ 300-1 @ Westgate. BEST Russell Knox odds now 125-1 @ Cantor Gaming. Sullivan now top 9 or better 5 of his last 7 tourneys also worth a $7 shot :shake:

Back