Injury thread for late season games

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
Sometimes we have an injury thread, sometimes we don't.

Feel free to post any related news you come across.

I assume Jurkovec playing for BC is a good thing for them, even though I've seen some pretty poor play from him this year.

Syracuse CB Garrett Williams out for the season

Babers confirmed that Syracuse star cornerback Garrett Williams tore his ACL against Notre Dame and will miss the remainder of the season. Babers knows how devastating this loss is for the Syracuse defense, but he is sure that Williams will still be a leader for this team.

“Garrett is a cool cat,” Babers said. “He is Syracuse through and through. Nothing, but Orange running through his veins and he wants nothing, but the best for this family. We want the best for him. We will stand beside him and there is no doubt he will stand beside us.”

Along with Duce Chestnut, Williams has been a rock at the cornerback position for the Orange. The loss of Williams can’t be understated. Syracuse had the convenience of knowing it had two of the best corners in the ACC. With Williams out for the season, we will need to keep an eye on the Syracuse pass defense which has allowed 164.5 yards per game (3rd in FBS).

Now, Syracuse must try to replace Williams to the best of its ability. Babers specifically mentioned Isaiah Johnson stepping in last week when Williams went down. Babers is confident that Tony White and Chip West will have the defensive backs ready to go on Saturday.

“Sometimes when you lose one bonafide starter like that, it’s not just one guy stepping up,” he said. “Sometimes it’s a rotation between people based off what an offense is trying to do to you or what point of the game it is. So we will have to wait and see how that rotation goes.”

Syracuse has not formally named a starter yet, but there should be a rotation. Johnson and Jeremiah Wilson have been behind Williams and Chestnut on the depth chart the last few weeks.

It's unclear if future NFL TE Luke Musgrave could play. Previsously Smith said he would be out "until atleast November". Even if he is cleared, he could opt out of the season for the draft. I didn't see any new updates on him for this week.

Though Jefferson was listed as a co-starter at running back along with Sean Tyler heading into the Miami contest, he didn’t take the field against the RedHawks, which snapped a streak of seven consecutive games played dating back to this year’s season opener. ... With Jefferson out of the lineup last week, Tyler led the ground game with 110 yards and a touchdown on 22 carries, while sophomore Zahir Abdus-Salaam toted the ball 10 times for 28 yards.

“Yes. Emery practiced well the past couple of days, so he’s a go,” Kelly said. “Bech has practiced well. He’s a go. Dellinger was better yesterday, but I’m going to withhold judgement on him until game day. So he’s probably day-to-day at this point.”

Bech being LSU's third leading receiver last year in yards and #1 in catches. Dellinger was a starting OL prior to injury.

Last edited:
Tulsa QB will be one to check on tomorrow. Injured ankle earlier this year, still wasn't 100% recovered on that, but then hurt shoulder vs SMU and left game.

Navy starting QB Tai Lavatai was injured vs Temple and is out the year. Xavier Arline has starting experience dating back to his Fr season and he started Cincy, but he got hurt. That left third stringer Maasai Maynor to finish that game. Will want to check up on Arline's status.

Jarrett Kingston, the starting left tackle for Washington State’s football team and unquestionably the most consistent player on the Cougars’ offensive line, will miss the remainder of the season due to a lower-body injury sustained in the first half of WSU’s blowout win over Stanford on Saturday. ... His name has been included on several NFL draft mock boards. Kingston is among the top five highest-graded tackles in the conference, according to Pro Football Focus’ metrics.

Kingston’s injury is a major blow to a WSU offensive line that was already the team’s most concerning position group. The Cougars lack depth up front. WSU has given up more sacks than any Pac-12 team (30).

Notre Dame might be without a defensive starter when the No. 20 Fighting Irish (6-3) take on Navy (3-6) this Saturday at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore. Head coach Marcus Freeman said Monday senior safety Brandon Joseph is questionable with a sprained ankle.

Joseph has played the most snaps (393) of any Notre Dame safety this season per Pro Football Focus. Second on the list is graduate student DJ Brown, who played 61 snaps vs. Clemson partly due to Joseph’s second-half absence. Brown has played 353 snaps this season and is in line for a hefty number against Navy if Joseph is not able to give it a go.

WR’s Marcell Barbee and Javen Banks are game time decisions, while Toe Groves is out. Ashtyn Hawkins out for the season after breaking his collarbone last week. Skill positions will be shorthanded this weekend.

Texas St WR Hawkins #1 receiver 56-587-7TD. Barbee is #2 and Banks is #3 in yardage

From the #TXST presser earlier, RB Calvin Hill is out for the season. Surgery after he broke his thumb against Southern Miss.
Hill is #2 rusher this year, #1 last year and #2 in 2020.

Panoke was said to be UH's best receiver and was #1 when injured in game 4. Hawaii will have their top two receivers on the field for the first time since week 1 now (Panoke and Bowers). He was originally feared lost for the year.

Utah State starting safety Gurvan Hall was suspended last game and is said to be returning this week.

Last edited:
Gundy isn’t saying, telling reporters this week that “I’m not going to say we’re going to start anybody the rest of the year at any place.”

The Mountaineer injury list remains long, but several key pieces, like linebacker Lance Dixon and running back Tony Mathis Jr., will return to the lineup on Saturday.

Texas Tech will be without quarterback Behren Morton, who left the TCU game with an ankle injury. Head coach Joey McGuire said on Monday that Morton reaggravated the same ankle injury he suffered against Oklahoma State.

Texas Tech has not announced who will start in Morton’s place. Tyler Shough started the season opener before suffering a shoulder injury against Murray State. Donovan Smith started the next four games before being sidelined with an injury.

Kansas has been without its starting quarterback Jalon Daniels since he suffered a shoulder injury against TCU on Oct. 8.

Jason Been has started the last three games at quarterback for the Jayhawks. He threw for 202 yards and two touchdowns in Kansas’ bowl-clinching victory at Oklahoma State. Bean also rushed for 93 yards and a score in the win over the Cowboys.

Wyoming QB Peasley could be concussion protocol this week

Miyan Williams:

“It didn’t look like, based on what we saw in the locker room, that it was going to be something really long-term, so we’ll see how he feels overnight," Ohio State coach Ryan Day said of Williams' status after the game.

Bruce hasn't played this year. Had 25 catches for 209y in 11 games last year.

Purdy is out with ankle

Zach Gibson is expected to start

https://twitter.com/jdemling/status/1592565393465675776

https://twitter.com/DevilsDigest/status/1592566400417419270

Torrence is a starter, Johnson is a sometimes starter

https://twitter.com/Travis_L_Brown/status/1592250312345075712?s=20&t=o1TNZv2_ao6akQpoEQNzZA

https://twitter.com/NathanDominitz/status/1592220018821169153

Burgess is #2 receiver, #4 receiver Amare Jones was previously ruled out of the season.

USF's #1 and #2 QBs are now out for the season after Marsh got hurt last week and since had surgery.
His injury means that true freshman Byrum Brown is in line for his first career start. The three-star North Carolina native has only attempted five passes but threw his first touchdown last week. Da Prato said Brown has all the physical tools to succeed, starting with a strong arm and 6-foot-3, 206-pound frame. Though Brown likely would have been USF’s No. 4 quarterback at the start of preseason camp, Da Prato said he quickly showed his ability to lead.

Nix has really been awesome this year. I do wish that Ty Thompson at some point would've gotten a chance...or maybe his recruiting ranking and hype isn't real and that is why he is always second string. Hopefully Bo plays.

TCU super WR Quentin Johnston and leading RB Miller left the Baylor game and did not return.

Wisconsin RB Braelon Allen may be a little more limited after lingering shoulder injury was an issue again yesterday.

USC LB Eric Gentry tried to play, but was not 100% and was pulled

Oklahoma St #2 WR Bryson Green was injured vs OU

Tennessee #3 tackler LB Jeremy Banks DNP vs S Car

Ball State has been heavily dependent on Carson Steele. He left the Ohio game in the 2nd Q with what could've been a concussion. Status for Tuesday unknown

Cincinnati QB Ben Bryant finished the Temple game on crutches with his right foot in a boot

BAR, when will we know about Corum and other Michigan injuries for this weekend? thanks
I wouldn't expect to hear about Corum till Saturday.

Expectation is he at least tries. We'll see.

I don't think Edwards plays, or if he does he's a decoy.

The big one on defense is Mike Morris. He said last Monday be was playing vs Illinois and then never did.

Schoonmaker? Who knows.

The other OL, who knows?

Beat up team heading in there.

I wouldn't expect to hear about Corum till Saturday.

Expectation is he at least tries. We'll see.

I don't think Edwards plays, or if he does he's a decoy.

The big one on defense is Mike Morris. He said last Monday be was playing vs Illinois and then never did.

Schoonmaker? Who knows.

The other OL, who knows?

Beat up team heading in there.
sucks especially with a large Michigan to win B10 ticket in my pocket at 8 to 1. LOL. Healthy I think Michigan beats them. I know OSU top 2 RB banged up too. Want to hedge but best I see now is OSU -265. Probably wait and take chance doing something live.

Sucks though. would like to see it with both teams healthy.

Also, I haven't seen much of Michigan but from what I have seen I don't think JJ has developed in the QB needed to beat OSU w/o Corum.

Also, I haven't seen much of Michigan but from what I have seen I don't think JJ has developed in the QB needed to beat OSU w/o Corum.

There were a couple passes vs Illinois that I thought were really good, but they were incomplete. One, even Blackledge said was a bad throw, McCarthy threw the ball between the sideline and the receiver with the defender near the hash, he put the ball exactly where I would think he should've, but the receiver #1 was looking towards the middle of the field for the ball, where the defender was. I don't know if #1 just doesn't or didn't know where the ball would be in that situation, but if McCarthy put the ball where the receiver and apparently Blackledge wanted it, then the DB has a play on it. He put the ball where only his receiver could catch it, but receiver wasn't on same page. Then there was a drop, also by #1 on what should've been a free play, great ball in the EZ on a deep pass and it was dropped.

I too haven't seen a bunch and I do think their offense very obviously is missing something. It may not be as much McCarthy as it is other things in the passing game or the the receivers themselves. I don't think Michigan has much more than above average WRs - or there is something just not right that makes it all appear average.

Reading that Justin Shorter and Xzavier Henderson are out for Florida, two of top three receivers. Shorter played last week and had 100y, but guess he is out again. But Daejon Reynolds really had a coming out party last week. He had 3 catches all year for 79y, vs Vandy he had 8rec-165y-2TD! A total of 5 WRs are expected out for FL.

Back