Illinois Fighting Illini +14 vs USC??

ynnhoj316

Pretty much a regular
+14 must be the Christmas present this year.

Outside of Texas Tech, Illinois is the only other team that impresses me on offense and has the ability to score on every drive. A quick d-line and playmakers such as J Lehman make +14 look ridiculous.

Benn, Mendenhall and J. Williams are sick in the open field; phenomenal athletes that remind me of Tech's Michael Crabtree.

What gives for this inflated 14 point line? :cheers:

Yup...and USC will still be the public side...ask ESPn..they say USC is best team in country and playing like it after the ASU game...

Line may still rise...ILLY's Dline is so underrated...they are very good and Lehman should be a Butkus finalist...

Juice hasn't been the same QB the last four weeks...it's like a light clicked on...and Mendenall is a top 20 pick...

Give me the pts.

Honestly, I think line is spot on. I figured 13 to 14. Illinois pass defense is not very good at all. JD Booty and Fred Davis should have field days. The other big thing is Mendanhall will get next to nothing on ground against this great run defense. USC is the best team in country right now. Illinois finishd 3rd in Big Ten this year. Its an appropriate line. Drive it down for me.

Honestly, I think line is spot on. I figured 13 to 14. Illinois pass defense is not very good at all. JD Booty and Fred Davis should have field days. The other big thing is Mendanhall will get next to nothing on ground against this great run defense. USC is the best team in country right now. Illinois finishd 3rd in Big Ten this year. Its an appropriate line. Drive it down for me.
See the Oregon game BAR....when u have to acct for the QB it's not like it's Rudy Carpenter...

No way Mendenhall gets nothing...no way.

See the Oregon game BAR....when u have to acct for the QB it's not like it's Rudy Carpenter...

No way Mendenhall gets nothing...no way.

When I say nothing, I mean he'll have to scrounge for say 50-70 yards. I already took that into account. If it wasn't a running QB then I would already be all over USC. USC's only weakness is the pass defense. Thats it. Illinois has same problem only worse. I think the line is begging people to take Illy in all honesty. People are saying 14 points to a BCS team??

Illinois is not your typical BCS team. If not for traditional tie-ins in Pasadena they would never make it in any other year. And I stand firm that USC is playing the best ball. Certainly would be in championship game if not for Booty's injury.

How did the USC defense do against spread running offenses like Oregon? I wasn't able to catch that game, but I saw other games where USC could stop the straight forward, Power I running games.

ya, u called that last night. right on

I like Illinois, If you can go into the shoe and beat OSU why not go to the Rose and beat USC? I have to wonder how motivated USC will be even though Carrol never let's that happen.

I also believe USC doesn't have a huge playmaker this year like years past... USC has always struggled against spread option qb's..ala VY, Dixon.

Illinois will have to play great though, their youth scares me and the mistakes they can make scare me as well. They can't be throwing picks and getting stupid penalties which can easily happen...they played a next to perfect game against OSU.

Still undecided on this one...

How did the USC defense do against spread running offenses like Oregon? I wasn't able to catch that game, but I saw other games where USC could stop the straight forward, Power I running games.
I'll have to go back and look at box/play by play, I watched about half the game ...was watching UGA/FL that timeframe mostly, but they did well I'd say..certainly not great but not shredded by any means...

I think u can say Illy is good for 21-24...so do u think SC gets 35-38...

I don't.

Its tough to take Illinois. This is unchartered water for them. Might be happy to be there syndrome. This is old hat for USC.

I like Illinois, If you can go into the shoe and beat OSU why not go to the Rose and beat USC? I have to wonder how motivated USC will be even though Carrol never let's that happen.

I also believe USC doesn't have a huge playmaker this year like years past... USC has always struggled against spread option qb's..ala VY, Dixon.

Illinois will have to play great though, their youth scares me and the mistakes they can make scare me as well. They can't be throwing picks and getting stupid penalties which can easily happen...they played a next to perfect game against OSU.

Still undecided on this one...
because USC is better than ohio state, right?

Its tough to take Illinois. This is unchartered water for them. Might be happy to be there syndrome. This is old hat for USC.
I can see that...but not really...

Zook is in full scale recruit mode and has been for two years....he's the hungriest coach/program I've seen in long time after the FLA debacle..

Not sure he'll let his kids be content..

But I certainly see what u're saying..

The good thing is most are very young and then have a nice balance of guys like Lehman who are winners and finally are experiencing success..

Will be interesting...

I'll have to go back and look at box/play by play, I watched about half the game ...was watching UGA/FL that timeframe mostly, but they did well I'd say..certainly not great but not shredded by any means...

I think u can say Illy is good for 21-24...so do u think SC gets 35-38...

I don't.
I don't think Illy can get 20...14-17...tops...I think SC is god for 30's...no doubt....that Illy secondary is iffy at best.

Juice did look good the last few weeks..we'll see what type of momentum he brings.

Hunt, USC will be up for it. Thats Pete carroll. If they could get up for it last year then this should be as easy as can be to get up for.

I don't think Illy can get 20...14-17...tops...I think SC is god for 30's...no doubt....that Illy secondary is iffy at best.

Juice did look good the last few weeks..we'll see what type of momentum he brings.

Hunt, USC will be up for it. Thats Pete carroll. If they could get up for it last year then this should be as easy as can be to get up for.
Hmmm...it's possible....SC is a better running team this year than throwing team...but obviously u hate Illy's secondary...

The secondary is helped by a great front 7....I think u're underestimating Illy's front..

and USC's Oline isn't top notch..yes they've had injuries w/ guys like Baker, etc...but that group and the receivers have underachieved...

Hunt is spot on about explosive playmakers...they are a grind it out offense..not explosive...it's not like they are going to be chucking it 30 yds a pop...

Hmmm...it's possible....SC is a better running team this year than throwing team...but obviously u hate Illy's secondary...

The secondary is helped by a great front 7....I think u're underestimating Illy's front..

and USC's Oline isn't top notch..yes they've had injuries w/ guys like Baker, etc...but that group and the receivers have underachieved...

Hunt is spot on about explosive playmakers...they are a grind it out offense..not explosive...it's not like they are going to be chucking it 30 yds a pop...

I do like Illy's front. Its solid indeed. I get what Hunts saying about the lack of traditional USC playmakers but since Booty has gotten back into rythm he has looked great. They can be methodical and steady and still make some big plays. USC's gameplan at ASU was marvelous..one of the best of the season. Carroll will have something similar.

I said 13-14 last night...that was a proper line IMO..and what I thought they would put out...I stick with that.

Carpenter can't move though..it's huge having a qb that can bust one any play.

Illinois really is not a good team... Sure they pulled off some wins in the Big 10, but it was a down year, and most years they wouldn't have been better than the 5th or 6th best team in the conference. USC had some injury issues that should be resolved. I'll more than likely be hitting USC pretty hard while fading Illinois and their bandwagon fans.

Carpenter can't move though..it's huge having a qb that can bust one any play.

Ruidy can move a bit..he's not John Navarre now..:36_11_6:

That being said..I agree....and thats what keeps me from betting this game at this number.

Illinois really is not a good team... Sure they pulled off some wins in the Big 10, but it was a down year, and most years they wouldn't have been better than the 5th or 6th best team in the conference. USC had some injury issues that should be resolved. I'll more than likely be hitting USC pretty hard while fading Illinois and their bandwagon fans.

Truest statement one can say.

Truest statement one can say.
That's a complete overexagerration....

Lehman all conference ANY year....that's the best front four in the conference this year...

Benn is all frosh ANY year...Mendenhall is a top 15 pick...

Juice is now maturing w/ time under his belt and the spread is the most potent and problematic offense vs any team..

Just wow.

All ya'll who think Juice blows nuts realize all four of Illy's scores vs us were throws right...

You can't play man on the edges vs Illy now cause he can make the right read and u have to acct for Benn AT ALL TIMES..

That makes him an unbelievable decoy.

That's a complete overexagerration....

Lehman all conference ANY year....that's the best front four in the conference this year...

Benn is all frosh ANY year...Mendenhall is a top 15 pick...

Juice is now maturing w/ time under his belt and the spread is the most potent and problematic offense vs any team..

Just wow.

And if osu could have taken care of business in their last home game, these guys would be bums...but b/c they beat osu, well....

BUT, he played a perfect game against OSU jump...can he do it again?
He didn't play perfect...he just didn't make any big mistakes...

He's making the right reads more than he makes the wrong reads now...he was a young QB who now us a lot more time under his belt...

He made great LB's look silly at times vs PSU and tOSU...

You can hate on either team all you want but these are legit first round picks...four of em prolly in Connor, JL, Freeman, and Lee....

USC's strength is their LB..that's the key....but they've been better vs pro style offenses than spread O's...

Like virtually every D...

The reason? It's fucking hard to defend when you have athletes like Juice, Mendenhall, and Benn...

The zone read just takes some time to really make the right read a predominant amt of the time...I really just think that's the case w/ Juice...game reps.

Dude..u're on fire tonight...I love you 99% of the time..

But what the hell does that have to w/ anything.

B/c illy beat osu, they HAVE to be a good team, right? They beat osu in Columbus. No mediocre team could possibly do that right?

lol.

i agree jump. Im jsut tryna talk myself out of illinois...USC is so fucking hard to bet against.

Jump, to reiterate, you were singing the high praises of the Illy players...that's where my thought/statement originated...

B/c illy beat osu, they HAVE to be a good team, right? They beat osu in Columbus. No mediocre team could possibly do that right?
No...the played a very good Mizzou team even on a neutral field...just turned it over I think SIX times and Juice was knocked out of that game..

They dismantled a good PSU defense...dominated them...

Dominated Wisky too..

I know everyone's rebuttal is the Big Ten sucks...well they have 8 bowl teams either way...suck or not..

Many aren't top 10 teams, but they are top 30 teams..

I'm not sure you've watched them play bro...

This team has improved nearly every game since the Iowa game...

The idea is to improve as the season progresses...they have a shitton of young kids and they are doing just thought...improving every week...

Juice was a young QB....Illy had a top 3 recruiting class last year for a reason....alot of good athletes that have time under their belts now...

JUMP is an ILLINI fan goddamn it!!
LOL...I'm just sick of the four letter network bro....it's fucking painful...

Blanket statements are bullshit and that's all they ever talk about...

Let's breat the shit down here..unlike predictions and one liners which is all they are good for..lol..

Honestly, I think line is spot on. I figured 13 to 14. Illinois pass defense is not very good at all.

That is true Bar. I have watched, probably, 3/4 of their games, and their pass d is suspect, but they have improved consistently over the past 5/6 games. The pass d does make big plays though and they're very athletic.

Back