I knew it........

I like Tim Brown but it was a disgrace he won the Heisman in a year his team finished 8-3 and he scored 7 TD's total. For comparisons sake, WR Desmond Howard would win the award 4 years later with 23 TD's total.

I would trust almost anything Tim Brown says. Always been a standup guy, never really heard otherwise. Class act at ND, class act as a Heisman winner, and class act as a Raider all those years on a pathetic team. Very professional. I'm sure he has had the odd comment that didn't sit right, but nothing that undermines his credibility.

Don't know the exact number but according to the article I found it looks like in his career, Rich Gannon threw either 10 or 11 pick-6s. Doesn't it seem weird that he would have thrown 3 in just one game? Yes, it does.
I cant believe any ND players anymore

Richie had THREE pick 6s in that game? Jesus I didnt remember that

the kicking the fg on the last play against OU had nothing to do with the spread. Stoops had attempted to run up the score in the last few minutes, we got the ball back, and ran on the kicker on the last play as a small (very small) bit of revenge. Thinking anyone would throw the super bowl is just asinine and I think some of you guys need to go back on your meds.
I was more interested in the stats. One turnover and all those rushing yards? weird

I like Tim Brown but it was a disgrace he won the Heisman in a year his team finished 8-3 and he scored 7 TD's total. For comparisons sake, WR Desmond Howard would win the award 4 years later with 23 TD's total.
Notre Dame my man.

2 of those pick 6's happened after the two minute warning, including one on the last play of the game.

Rice, Brown, and Jerry Porter were the WR's and RB Charlie Garner had 90+ catches that season.

The better team won that Super Bowl, no questions asked.

2 of those pick 6's happened after the two minute warning, including one on the last play of the game.

Rice, Brown, and Jerry Porter were the WR's and RB Charlie Garner had 90+ catches that season.

The better team won that Super Bowl, no questions asked.
wow...what a stat. pretty wild if so

how many years was rice there? Porter was kinda good from what i remember of those days

wow...what a stat. pretty wild if so

how many years was rice there? Porter was kinda good from what i remember of those days

No only Rice and Garner had 90+, just listing the pass catching capabilities on that team in addition to them in Brown and Porter. This team was built to throw the ball.

I was more interested in the stats. One turnover and all those rushing yards? weird

we had like 275 yards, quite a few in garbage time from what I recall. Billy played that one to basically get it over with as we were completely outmanned. then stoops tried to get one more TD with his starters later in the 4th. We got the ball back, moved it some, and ran out the kicker on the last play of the game. I laid the 28 so i remember it pretty well. Stoops trying to run it up was rather horseshit so I was actually happy we scored. Trust me when I say it had absolutely nothing to do with the point spread and anyone who says otherwise is completely full of shit.

from what i remember, porter had all the talent in the world and just could never put it together. he was basically the deep threat while brown and rice ran all the underneath stuff. They loved to bunch up 3 WR and run pick plays over the middle.

Funny how everyone forgets that Jerry Rice himself threw a playoff game back in 87 when he caught a pass from Montana on the opening drive and as he is about to score a 50 yd TD "accidentally" fumbles the ball into the end zone allowing the Giants to recover for a touchback.

Rich Gannon basically came out and said it was on the players regardless of the game plan (as good or bad as it was). Pretty straightforward from the guy that threw 5 picks in a SB.

still remember that last pick 6 cost me the game square at the Imperial Palaca SB party... was about 5 K... :puking:

from what i remember, porter had all the talent in the world and just could never put it together. he was basically the deep threat while brown and rice ran all the underneath stuff. They loved to bunch up 3 WR and run pick plays over the middle.

He was a great talent, not much of a deep threat though, they wanted him to be after Jett retired in 01 but it never worked out

they were big on the underneath stuff

tim brown going into denial mode.

the important thing, despite tanking super bowls, and bounty gate and stealing signals, and replacement refs and shitty regular refs and commercials every 60 seconds and so on, is that we maintain the integrity of the nfl by making sure sports betting stays illegal everywhere outside of nevada,.

This thing being turned into a "throwing the game" type thing is not what TB was trying to say in the first place. He was saying that Cal hated the raiders, never wanted to be a raider in the first place. He was only there because Gruden and he couldn't turn down the HC position when it landed in his lap. I don't believe that he was throwing the game in a gambling way but I do believe that he didn't give two shits about winning or losing that game.

The argument that he would be sabotaging his own career and that he would never get a head coaching job again? Has he had a head coaching job since? How many head coaching interviews has he had since? Hint....one. A guy who lead a team to the Super Bowl, even if it was Grudens team, has had only one head coaching interview in over ten years since.

There is Something to this story IMO.

We are talking about the greatest WR in the history of football and the greatest Raiders WR in their history. Would these guys stick their necks out like this for no reason?

Tim Brown keep your mouth shut - you haven't been relevant for quite some time. Dude was whining last week about Trestman being hired by the Bears and how the guy can't coach all because Tim's streak of consecutive 1000 yard seasons ended when Trestman was OC for Oakland. Self absorbed POS is what he is.

he's been retired.... how is he supposed to be relevant after that?

all he said was (and others have said the same) that he was a great x's and o's guy, just didn't know how to handle a locker room well

the important thing, despite tanking super bowls, and bounty gate and stealing signals, and replacement refs and shitty regular refs and commercials every 60 seconds and so on, is that we maintain the integrity of the nfl by making sure sports betting stays illegal everywhere outside of nevada,.

/Thread_over

he's been retired.... how is he supposed to be relevant after that?

all he said was (and others have said the same) that he was a great x's and o's guy, just didn't know how to handle a locker room well

why is he bringing up the superbowl and his ex-coach - he wants attention. If he had balls he would have brought this up much sooner than 10 years later. I hope Callahan presses on with the defamation lawsuit.

This is not the first time the superbowl thing has been brought up deuces. Its been discussed for years. Tim Brown said it publicly like 4 years ago or so before the superbowl. Jon Ritchie has said it at ESPN before as well.

If you honestly believed that your head coach threw a wrench in your chance to win the only superbowl of your career would you keep your mouth shut? If the best football player to ever play in the NFL agreed with you would you keep your mouth shut?

If you honestly believed that your head coach threw a wrench in your chance to win the only superbowl of your career would you keep your mouth shut? If the best football player to ever play in the NFL agreed with you would you keep your mouth shut?

I would consider myself pretty informed and in the day/age of ESPN breaking faulty news stories and twitter, etc., I am absolutely sure I would have heard of this before yesterday. I think most would agree.

There has to be some agenda here. Coincidence that Trestman and Callahan get new NFL jobs the same week TB starts griping about this? come on....

If you honestly believed that your head coach threw a wrench in your chance to win the only superbowl of your career would you keep your mouth shut? If the best football player to ever play in the NFL agreed with you would you keep your mouth shut?[/QUOTE]

If by best ever to play you mean Jerry Rice that is a discussion for another day but again consider the source another self absorbed nitwit - gret talent but selfish player who has few teammates/coaches who actually liked him.

This is not the first time the superbowl thing has been brought up deuces. Its been discussed for years. Tim Brown said it publicly like 4 years ago or so before the superbowl. Jon Ritchie has said it at ESPN before as well.

sorry I have not heard of this until yesterday - my bad

P I can't dig it all up but this is something that has always been rumored around raiders circles. I know that Tim brown mentioned it before the Super Bowl about four years ago and Jon Ritchie's quote says that he mentioned it all the time in his ESPN days and he is surprised that it took this long for it to become a big story.

From what I can gather there is no precedent to changing a gameplan, that is sometimes hundreds of pages long, two days before a big game like this. Like I said before, he may not have been trying to sabotage the game but I certainly believe that he didn't care much if he won or lost.

It's interesting, but the Barrett Robbins thing doesn't fit. The guy had serious problems with depression or something and went off his meds if I remember right.

Which isn't to say Rice & Brown aren't onto something, just that that part of what they're talking about doesn't fit.

Also, it's really difficult to think that a coach would essentially ruin his own career by throwing a SB game. That matchup was horrible for Oakland. It sort of played out best case scenario for TB, but the guy who basically built your team was coaching against you. Bad news right there.

Sat down with local radio today in Houston ...
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/02...clusively-to-in-the-loop-with-nick-and-lopez/

This x 100000000000. 10 year old sour grapes make for a very fine whine

Normally I agree fully here but consider the sources. The greatest wide receiver to ever play the game and the greatest Raiders wide receiver to ever play the game. These guys understand the gravity of their accusations fully. Tim Brown has never been that guy to say shit like this.

There may be no merit to him "sabotaging" the game but there is certainly some question there IMO if he did or didn't purposely throw some wrenches into the machine.

Back