I knew it........

guaranteeed

Pretty much a regular
Appearing on Pro Football Talk on NBC Sports Network, Brown was asked by Erik Kuselias if he believes Callahan was just incompetent, or if he believes Callahan was actively trying to lose the Super Bowl. Brown chose the latter.
“I can’t say the man was incompetent because he was far from that,” Brown said. “You only leave me with one other choice so I’ll have to go ahead and take the latter of those two choices.”
Brown said that after preparing on Monday through Thursday before the Super Bowl for a run-first offense, Callahan sprung a new game plan on his players, a pass-first game plan that, according to Brown, Callahan knew would cost the Raiders the game.
“Why would you change the game plan so close to the game if you know the negative repercussions of that could cost you the game?” Brown said.
These allegations by Brown — which were bolstered today by another player on that team, Jerry Rice — are stunning. So far, Callahan hasn’t responded. But he needs to speak out and give his side of this story. Because he’s being accused by two of his greatest players of taking the Silver and Black to the Super Bowl, and then committing the greatest sporting scandal since the 1919 Black Sox.

Rice, who was on the Raiders team that lost Super Bowl XXXVII to the Buccaneers, said on ESPN that Callahan disliked his players, disliked his team, and was willing to let his old boss, then-Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden, beat him.
“For some reason — and I don’t know why — Bill Callahan did not like me,” Rice said. “In a way, maybe because he didn’t like the Raiders, he decided, ‘Maybe we should sabotage this a little bit and let Jon Gruden go out and win this one.’”
For Rice, a universally respected player who was named in a poll of experts conducted by NFL Network as the greatest player in NFL history, to say that he believes one of his former coaches actively wanted to lose a Super Bowl is shocking. ESPN’s Trey Wingo stopped Rice and asked him if he realized the magnitude of the accusation that Callahan once threw the Super Bowl. Rice said he understands the weight of his words.
“Yeah, I know exactly what I’m saying,” Rice said.
Until Brown made his bombshell accusation on Saturday, the biggest controversy to come out of Super Bowl XXXVII was the fact that Raiders center Barrett Robbins abandoned the team the day before the game. Rice blames Callahan for that, too: According to Rice, Robbins was so demoralized by Callahan announcing in a team meeting that he was going to call mostly pass plays that Robbins decided to bail on the Super Bowl.
“With Barrett, he was frustrated, like, ‘You cannot do this to us at the last second.’ Maybe that’s why he decided to not show up,” Rice said.

Someone on Jim Rome(ex niner player) Eric Davis maybe? Sain to tell Tim Brown "You lost the game. Shut up and drink your milk."

He then when on to say, change the damn plays. He had been on a team that in the 2nd half the team completely ignored what the coach was sending in. The Linebacker told the team, "Dont even look over there, we aint runnin that"

anyone else hear this?

It's interesting, but the Barrett Robbins thing doesn't fit. The guy had serious problems with depression or something and went off his meds if I remember right.

Which isn't to say Rice & Brown aren't onto something, just that that part of what they're talking about doesn't fit.

Also, it's really difficult to think that a coach would essentially ruin his own career by throwing a SB game. That matchup was horrible for Oakland. It sort of played out best case scenario for TB, but the guy who basically built your team was coaching against you. Bad news right there.

former Raiders running back Charlie Garner sees a little merit in Brown’s contention.
“There may be something to what Mr. Brown has been saying,” told 97.5 The Fanatic in Philly. “I really don’t know the validity of which he despised the Raiders but I also know that he didn’t want to be there, too.”
Regardless of the reason, Garner agreed that something happened. “We came out with another game plan and it just was not what we practiced. . . . We as an organization and as a team had been through a lot of adversity so we were accustomed to it. Had we just stuck to the original game plan, I believe that we would have been successful.”

How many other games has he thrown?

did he do the Jets dirty in the AFC Championship a few times as well

fuck Bill Callahan

no wonder Gannon played the worst game of his life, was set up for failure

There's definitely something to the fact that everybody is saying they practiced one game plan for a week then swapped it out the night before. That seems totally legit—and it really puts your team in a horrible position.

I'm not saying Cal tried to throw the game or not, I don't know, but imagine for a a second how much you would have to loathe your job and boss to try to throw the Super Bowl.

Chances are you will never, EVER, come close to being in this position again and you're going to intentionally tank it. It's as if Al Davis was having gross old man three-ways with the guy's wife and daughter.

In fairness, I think Gannon was set up for failure the moment Gruden was on the other sideline. Gruden has a heavy hand on QBs, or he did. The single worst matchup for Gannon was Gruden. He couldn't have been in a worse spot.

Charles Woodson and Charlie Garner refused to play for him. Brown told the AP in 2003 that "nobody trusts a word [Callahan] says." In 2005, left tackle Barry Sims said of Callahan's Raiders, "About halfway through the year Callahan left, he basically stopped coaching and half the team basically shut it down."

I bet the Raiders in this game and got blown out. But weren't the RAIDERS a pass heavy team that year?

I guess the fact that they changed the gameplan on Friday is leading people to believe that CALLAHAN was compromised by someone.

spread... look at the time of the FG kicked to make it 30-3

ehh idk, thats pushing it. he probably just didnt want to give them the satisfaction of saying they had a shutout, and didnt want his team to have an embarssing 0 in the final score

They were talking about this on Sirius NFL radio this morning. The Raiders averaged 335 lbs on the offensive line and the Bucs averaged 280 lbs on the defensive line. The whole game plan was to pound the smaller Bucs D-Line with Tyrone Wheatley and Zack Crockett and the big line and then on the friday, two days before the game, they all of a sudden switch it up to a pass attack. Why the fuck would you do that last second with no time to prepare?

I gotta admit for Callahan to intentionally throw the game is a little far fetched, as it would be career suicide. I just think he was a total dumb ass and set the team up for failure.

I haven't heard much of what he said other than he pretty much agrees with Brown. But Brown also had a lot to say about how bitter (my words, not his) he was about not getting to be the #1 receiver under Callahan and that his streak of 1000 yard seasons came to an end and he only needed about 50 yards to get it? That part doesn't sound like he's whining or being salty to you?

I heard it, twink. Really tired of Rome these days, but had it on in the car during that interview. Eric Allen was great, enjoyed some of his stories about the '90's Niners and Cowboys. Thought he slobbed Michael Irvin's knob a little too much though.

Am I the only one who heard this Rome interview today...it was awesome

Rome actually is a pretty good interviewer, it's just the rest of the show and the rest of his schtick that's kind of run its course for me.

I heard it, twink. Really tired of Rome these days, but had it on in the car during that interview. Eric Allen was great, enjoyed some of his stories about the '90's Niners and Cowboys. Thought he slobbed Michael Irvin's knob a little too much though.
I am tired of Rome too....he said great interview 40 times, but it really was. Dude was so candid it was great. Just no BS, I normally hate athlete interviews(even the ones people think are candid but are not)

But that was a solid interview.....and I think Rome particularly sucks at interviews and soft tosses and has WAY too many athletes on

He's not in Howard Stern's league, but I think Rome's interviews come off as the only unrehearsed part of his show. Everything else is sort of canned. Kind of depends on the guy he's interviewing. One of the best ones I've ever heard on Rome was within the last year, he had the Def Leppard guy on. And I don't even like Def Leppard, but the guy was great.

Not to hijack the Callahan scandal thread with thoughts on a radio show that I don't even like ... but another thing I'll say for Rome ... he gets good guests. I get really, really tired of the ESPN radio guys trotting out other ESPN employees as guests. I don't need Herm Edwards twice a week.

Not to hijack the Callahan scandal thread with thoughts on a radio show that I don't even like ... but another thing I'll say for Rome ... he gets good guests. I get really, really tired of the ESPN radio guys trotting out other ESPN employees as guests. I don't need Herm Edwards twice a week.
Agree. Dan Patrick to me is a great interview...he does self promote a bit much for me and sucks Tony Dungys cock. But he is good

Id much rather hear Chris Mannix than Dwight Howard. I just hate the athlete answers....that is why the dude on Rome today was so good...he just let it rip

I would trust almost anything Tim Brown says. Always been a standup guy, never really heard otherwise. Class act at ND, class act as a Heisman winner, and class act as a Raider all those years on a pathetic team. Very professional. I'm sure he has had the odd comment that didn't sit right, but nothing that undermines his credibility.

Don't know the exact number but according to the article I found it looks like in his career, Rich Gannon threw either 10 or 11 pick-6s. Doesn't it seem weird that he would have thrown 3 in just one game? Yes, it does.

if what I thought I skimmed is correct... since the raiders already disrespected callahan so much and ignored him in some instances, why not for the superbowl?

I would trust almost anything Tim Brown says. Always been a standup guy, never really heard otherwise. Class act at ND, class act as a Heisman winner, and class act as a Raider all those years on a pathetic team. Very professional. I'm sure he has had the odd comment that didn't sit right, but nothing that undermines his credibility.

Don't know the exact number but according to the article I found it looks like in his career, Rich Gannon threw either 10 or 11 pick-6s. Doesn't it seem weird that he would have thrown 3 in just one game? Yes, it does.

I always thought he was a pretty classy dude too, but why air the dirty laundry. How come this hasn't been much of a story before? Why now, after all these years is he speaking out? Is it because Callahan got the OC job with Dallas, which is pretty high profile? Seems shady for Brown to "coincidentally" mention this now... what was he waiting for? I just don't see the angle here by him.

pathetic team?

during Timmy's career

wins

[TABLE="class: stattbl, width: 662"]
<tbody>[TR="class: row0, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]
[TD="align: left"]2002[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Oakland Raiders[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]NFL[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]450[/TD]
[TD]304[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Roster, Results, Stats, Draft[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: row1, bgcolor: #F9F9F9"]
[TD="align: left"]2001[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]399[/TD]
[TD]327[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: row0, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]
[TD="align: left"]2000[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]479[/TD]
[TD]299[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1999[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]390[/TD]
[TD]329[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1998[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]288[/TD]
[TD]356[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1997[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]324[/TD]
[TD]419[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1996[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]340[/TD]
[TD]293[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1995[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]348[/TD]
[TD]332[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1994[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Los Angeles Raiders[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]303[/TD]
[TD]327[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1993[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]306[/TD]
[TD]326[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1992[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]249[/TD]
[TD]281[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1991[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]298[/TD]
[TD]297[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1990[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]337[/TD]
[TD]268[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1989[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]315[/TD]
[TD]297[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1988[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]325[/TD]
[TD]369[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

that's 3 seasons with less than 8 wins

I always thought he was a pretty classy dude too, but why air the dirty laundry. How come this hasn't been much of a story before? Why now, after all these years is he speaking out? Is it because Callahan got the OC job with Dallas, which is pretty high profile? Seems shady for Brown to "coincidentally" mention this now... what was he waiting for? I just don't see the angle here by him.

Did he come to the interview to talk about this or did that get sprung on him? I have no idea. Didn't hear it.

pathetic team?

during Timmy's career

wins

[TABLE="class: stattbl, width: 662"]
<tbody>[TR="class: row0, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]
[TD="align: left"]2002[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]450[/TD]
[TD]304[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]2001[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]399[/TD]
[TD]327[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]2000[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]479[/TD]
[TD]299[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1999[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]390[/TD]
[TD]329[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1998[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]288[/TD]
[TD]356[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1997[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]324[/TD]
[TD]419[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1996[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]340[/TD]
[TD]293[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1995[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]348[/TD]
[TD]332[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1994[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]303[/TD]
[TD]327[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1993[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]306[/TD]
[TD]326[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1992[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]249[/TD]
[TD]281[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1991[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]298[/TD]
[TD]297[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1990[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]337[/TD]
[TD]268[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1989[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]315[/TD]
[TD]297[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]1988[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]325[/TD]
[TD]369[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

that's 3 seasons with less than 8 wins

They were solid during the Gannon years, but the Raiders were a joke for most of the 90s.

the kicking the fg on the last play against OU had nothing to do with the spread. Stoops had attempted to run up the score in the last few minutes, we got the ball back, and ran on the kicker on the last play as a small (very small) bit of revenge. Thinking anyone would throw the super bowl is just asinine and I think some of you guys need to go back on your meds.

Back