How many games do you think the Yankees will win?

How Many Games will the Yanks Win?

• 110+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 105-109

• 99-104

• 93-98

• 87-92

• 81-86

• 75-80

• 74 or -

• Total voters
Would let Ransom play the kid hit last year and is RH so thats enough for me . Its the beginning of the season and the Yanks have been slow starters in the past but this is a new cast and new stadium to provide motivation. Basically the way I see who cares that he is out IF this is the worst injury we have to deal with all year . If it a sign of things to come......ugghhhhhhhh.

With ARod opting for an interim surgical procedure (6-10 wk rehab) aimed at getting him through the season...I thought I'd post some positive Yankee news:

Nothing gets past Godzilla

Roger Kahlon is Hideki Matsui’s translator. He’s a terrific guy who has a great relationship with Joe Girardi, the players and the beat writers.
With Matsui recovering from knee surgery and not playing until this past week, we had been kidding Roger about not having much to do. But that has changed in the last few days as we’ve been interviewing Matsui on a fairly regular basis.
When today’s session broke up, I asked Roger if he needed a rest from all the translation he has been doing.
“That’s right, you better give him a break,” Matsui said in perfect English as everybody laughed.
Meanwhile, Matsui went from first to third today when a low liner off the bat of Cody Ransom to right skipped past Marcus Thames. He seems to be getting his legs under him along with getting his eye back at the plate.
Matsui is probably done as an outfielder, at least on any regular basis. But if his knees allow it, he will be a presence in the middle of the lineup.
Girardi said this afternoon that he is inclined to leave Mark Teixeira hitting third even when A-Rod is out. That could mean Matsui bats cleanup.

It must be nice to have an arm like that

One of the scouts had A.J. Burnett throwing 98 today on his gun. John Harper of the Daily News mentioned that to him.
“Really?” Burnett said with a grin. “I didn’t mean to.” Meanwhile, here is what Phil Hughes has done this spring:
7.2 innings, 3 hits, 2 runs, 3 walks, 8 strikeouts. He threw three hitless innings today, walking two and fanning four.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

Say it ain't so, Captain:

UPDATE, 9:12 a.m.: The Yankees-Red Sox rivalry was pretty real in the 1970s when guys like Thurman Munson and Carlton Fisk really disliked each other. Now, it’s mostly a creation of the media and fans. The players don’t see it as Athens against Sparta.
Up in Canada, some of you will be displeased to learn that Derek Jeter and Dustin Pedroia are becoming boys.

Their friendship started at the All-Star Game last season.
“Tremendous guy and obviously a tremendous player,” Pedroia said last week when he was at Steinbrenner Field. “It has been great getting to know him.”
It’s easy to understand why Jeter would get along Pedroia. Like him, Pedroia is a guy who always plays hard and plays to win.

Good news, Yanks fans:

UPDATE, 10:33 a.m.: Mariano Rivera just threw 30 pitches in the bullpen. He had a lot more pop than he did the other day.
“Tremendous,” he said as he walked away.

UPDATE, 11:24 a.m.: Jorge Posada made a dozen throws to second base this morning. “Felt great,” he said.

* * * UPDATE, 12:50 p.m.: Dr. Marc Philippon just did a brief Q&A with the media. A-Rod came through the surgery fine. Get this, before the end of the day the rehab protocol calls for him to ride an exercise bike. He’ll do range of motion exercises through the weekend before they get to muscle-memory exercises. Dr.Philippon said there was “no doubt” they made the right choice.
He even guaranteed A-Rod would hit in the playoffs and be accepted as a true Yankee.
OK, that’s not true. But the good doctor seemed convinced that A-Rod will be fine and that the rehab will proceed quickly. So that’s good news for the Yankees.

Brett Gardner, Yanks CF in 2009:

UPDATE, 2:08 p.m.: Gritty, gutty Brett Gardner has done it again. He just lined a two-run homer over the wall in right. It was his third shot of spring training.
2-1 Yankees.
UPDATE, 2:46 p.m.: Brett Gardner, the Maury Wills of his day, just reached on a bunt single. He went to third on Melky Cabrera’s single. But when Cabrera got hung up between first and second with two outs, Gardner did the right thing and broke for the plate. Alas, he was tagged out.

Last edited:
I would like to update my prediction, which I think is fair given the fact I made this post before A-Roid was going public with his hip.

Yankees go 104-58

Here's my line ETG...

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR class=TrGameOdd><TD align=left></TD><TD align=left width="10%">Apr 05</TD><TD>22043</TD><TD align=left colSpan=2>YANKEES (RS) WINS</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right>o95½-140<INPUT type=checkbox value=2_646204_-95.5_-140 name=text_></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR class=TrGameOdd><TD align=left></TD><TD align=left>8:00 PM </TD><TD>22044</TD><TD align=left colSpan=2>YANKEES (RS) WINS</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right>u95½+110<INPUT type=checkbox value=3_646204_95.5_110 name=text_></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I think it goes over but i'm not crazy about the juice they put on it for me.

Here's my line ETG...

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR class=TrGameOdd><TD align=left></TD><TD align=left width="10%">Apr 05</TD><TD>22043</TD><TD align=left colSpan=2>YANKEES (RS) WINS</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right>o95½-140<INPUT type=checkbox value=2_646204_-95.5_-140 name=text_></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR class=TrGameOdd><TD align=left></TD><TD align=left>8:00 PM </TD><TD>22044</TD><TD align=left colSpan=2>YANKEES (RS) WINS</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right>u95½+110<INPUT type=checkbox value=3_646204_95.5_110 name=text_></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I think it goes over but i'm not crazy about the juice they put on it for me.

that juice sucks

The 2nd coming of Mo Rivera (us Yankee fans don't expect a lot, do we?):

Mark Melancon threw another scoreless inning. Here is what he has done in 5 games this spring:
5 innings, 3 hits, 1 run, 0 earned runs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts.
Every indication is that Jose Veras, Phil Coke, Edwar Ramirez and Dave Robertson are the main candidates for three spots in the bullpen. But Melancon is positioning himself to be the first reliever called up when the need arises.

Listening to Francesa and ESPN Radio today think they said Joba is going to be limited to the 150ish inning mark. So silly. This is exactly why I want him in the pen . You dont limit a guy with his experience to 150 innings . Thats something you do to a young kind who leaped at few levels and shot to the majors quickly whose arm is not used to throwing 200 innings in his 1 yr or two in pro ball ....

I just dont get it ..

Nut, Francesa refuses to accept Joba as a starting pitcher so he is always barking down the throats of everyone who says he is a starter. From everything I've read, 150innings is bullshit. They are looking to get him 30-35 starts which could be about 180-200innings. He has been a starting pitcher his whole life. He has four pitches he can throw for strikes. He still hits 97-98mph in the 6th inning, he isn't a 2inning burnout type pitcher. The whole innings thing is misleading as it is and imo, pitch count is something I would pay much more attention to.

Nut, Francesa refuses to accept Joba as a starting pitcher so he is always barking down the throats of everyone who says he is a starter. From everything I've read, 150innings is bullshit. They are looking to get him 30-35 starts which could be about 180-200innings. He has been a starting pitcher his whole life. He has four pitches he can throw for strikes. He still hits 97-98mph in the 6th inning, he isn't a 2inning burnout type pitcher. The whole innings thing is misleading as it is and imo, pitch count is something I would pay much more attention to.

:cheers:

Mo News:
UPDATE, 10:55 a.m.: Mariano Rivera just threw 40 pitches in BP to Justin Leone and Colin Curtis. I thought he looked much better than he did the other day. He threw some unhittable cutters and his ball was darting.Rivera thought he left some pitches high, which he attributed to throwing with a screen in front of him.
The important news: He was scheduled to throw 30, but he felt so good that he threw 10 more and his next step will be pitching in a game.
“Oh, yeah. Everything is good,” he said when asked about his shoulder. “No problem.”
Rivera is scheduled to face the Pirates on Tuesday here at Steinbrenner Field. He said he has plenty of time to get ready for Opening Day.

Posada on schedule to C tomorrow (Sunday)...

Brett Tomko as long reliever? Yesterday @ Boston:
The line on Tomko: 3.1 2 0 0 0 5. Impressive. He could be the long man.
Subs all around for both teams. This is Scranton vs. Pawtucket now.
UPDATE, 9:25 p.m.: Tomko has allowed two runs over 10.1 innings and stuck out 10 with one walk.

UPDATE, 11:45 a.m.: Here are some comments from Brian Cashman:
On Ian Kennedy: “I just know that he went home and processed what took place last year. It was the first time in his career that he failed. Went to winter ball, made some adjustments, came out of winter ball with the confidence, came to camp in a great frame of mind and heads over to Scranton the same way.
“He’s got some things with his secondary pitches he’s going to have to work out. But we saw some good things when he was here. The most important thing is he has a game plan he’s very comfortable with and he knows where he’s going. His development in the pro game has been very short. Because he had so much success early, he didn’t finish off some things he had to work on and now he’s back on that track. I think he’s going to have a big year, I really do. It’ll be a different Ian Kennedy for this franchise in 2009 than there was in 2008.”

On Phil Hughes: “You’re seeing that curve and his changeup more and more and to me, that’s a very good sign. He’s becoming more complete.”
On Mark Melancon: “He’s somebody we’re excited about. He’s got ability, he works hard and he wants it. That’s a good recipe right there.”

On Jorge Posada: It’s good that we got to this day. Not this specific day, but we thought we wouldn’t be ready to catch until mid-March to catch in games and here we are. So we go from this point, that’s an important first step of many more. These next few weeks, we’ll really see it.
“I guarantee — and this is just me thinking knowing how injuries are — that in the back of his mind he probably doesn’t trust it yet. Until he gets to the point where it’s instinct and it just happens and he says, ‘Wow, I didn’t think about that.’ That’s where he’ll work through the final phase of this thing.
“I need Matsui’s knees to be fine and I need Posada to be a catcher. That gives our lineup length and depth, with guys with plate discipline, with guys with the ability to give professional at-bats. Those guys know what they’re doing. If these guys aren’t available to us, it changes the lineup radically, especially 6, 7, 8, 9. I don’t want to be in that position, honestly.
“He’s feisty, he’s hungry and he wants to win. He doesn’t get enough credit for the leadership he has in that clubhouse. He is intense. Sometimes that intensity can carry into some emotional outbursts that aren’t always a bad thing. We missed him both on that field and in that clubhouse last year. Losing Wang and the way our pitching went last year was devastating. But our biggest loss was Jorge Posada.”

UPDATE, 1:33 p.m.: 1-0 Yankees. After Posada singled, Damon singled. Then Teixeira fouled out well behind first, allowing Posada to tag up. He scored when Matsui grounded into a force play. Matsui beat the throw to first to stay out of the double play.
So Posada can catch and Matsui can avoid inning-ending double plays. Good day for the Yankees so far.

UPDATE, 1:53 p.m.: That’s it for Andy and Jorge. Pettitte: 3 2 0 0 0 1. 5 groundballs.

UPDATE, 2:39 p.m.: Turns out Posada caught a fourth inning. We were down in the clubhouse talking to Pettitte when he caught Coke.
Posada didn’t have to make a throw but he was throwing to second base between innings. He said his shoulder felt strong.

Last edited:
ROTATION CLOSE AS FIVE YANKS-KETEERS

TAMPA - Andy Pettitte warmed up early yesterday afternoon and - as has been the case all spring when the Yankees are at home - he was not alone.
COMPLETE YANKEES COVERAGE
YANKEES BLOG
On a suggestion from A.J. Burnett before a Feb. 28 game at Steinbrenner Field, the members of the Yankees' projected rotation went to watch Joba Chamberlain warm up. And a habit was born.
"We have Five Musketeers," manager Joe Girardi said.
One for all, all for one.
The fraternity in the Yankees clubhouse has been noticeably stronger this spring, and no place has that been more overt than among this re-shuffled rotation. The five starters have committed to each other in a variety of ways, including going to watch each other's pre-game warm-ups.
Most days all four non-starters will attend the bullpen session of that day's starter. Only Chamberlain and CC Sabathia made it yesterday (Chien-Ming Wang continues to battle a cold and Burnett had a family issue), but this has become the in thing and about seven young pitchers, including David Robertson and Phil Coke, stood on the side to offer support. At the conclusion of the warm-up, Pettitte was surrounded by fellow pitchers giving him fist bumps. This is now routine for that day's starter: fist-bumping unity.
"It means a lot to get those knuckles," Sabathia said.
It is difficult to measure what fraternity might mean within a rotation. The act of pitching, after all, is mostly a solitary act. But it is clear that big-time weight is on this rotation for a variety of reasons, notably that a quarter of a billion dollars was invested in Sabathia and Burnett to make starting pitching the backbone of the team and without Alex Rodriguez for a while this club is going to need its rotation operating at peak efficiency. So having an internal support system, especially in New York, should be valuable.
"You have to have each other's back," Pettitte said. "This is a tough place to play, but if you know everyone is in your corner pulling for you and wants you to be successful, that does help you win. We have to have (this unity) and we are going to have it."
Pettitte and Wang are the rotation holdovers. Chamberlain, now a full-time starter, brings his Red Bull enthusiasm daily to the group. Sabathia arrived with the reputation as one of the game's best teammates and has only burnished that image. He has, for example, bought four courtside tickets to six Orlando Magic home games and has been taking a variety of teammates with him. He has become quick pals with Burnett, a mentor to Chamberlain and a guy already unafraid to good-naturedly get on a fellow pitcher he feels has gone astray.
But the surprise of the group has been Burnett. His reputation was as prickly and different. However, he has belied that, so far. He has opened up his boat on nearby Lake Tarpon to teammates for fishing jaunts, and is planning to rent a second boat this week for a full-out bass fishing competition for any Yankee who wants to participate.
As for attending other starters' bullpen sessions, Burnett said that was a habit ingrained in previous stops with the Marlins and Blue Jays. But around the Yankees this is unique. Girardi went as far as to say, "I have never seen it before." The idea is for the starters to learn from each other, pick up or share tips, and offer support. Pettitte actually went to Lakeland, Fla., last Wednesday specifically to watch Sabathia, and both thought it fortuitous because Sabathia was beaten up (five runs, 1" innings) and Pettitte was there to provide perspective and counsel.
The group also has taken to watching games from the top rail of the dugout.
"As a starting pitcher you can leave," Chamberlain said, "and to look over and see that they have not left that feeling is indescribable."
What will this mean at Fenway Park or over the long season or should Burnett, in particular, get off to a bad or injured start? We will see. But the feeling among the rotation members is buoyant now: All for one and five for all.
joel.sherman@nypost.com

I can bare about 5 minutes a month of Francesa because I cant stand his arrogant tone. This was odd because I was listening to Stephen A Smith and whoever else was sitting in for Kay on ESPN and they were talking about . Then later flipped to Francesa and he was talking about it as well. They were talking about how the Yanks were going to possible approach it Aug and Sept when his innings are near the limit and they have a 2-1 lead in the 7th aor 8th inning in the midst of a playoff race or how Joba might have a decent lead and just go 5 innings ...

Anyway , just wanted to through this out there . Need to research it more see what the real deal is .

I have no doubt that JOBA can be an elite starter . I dont worry about fatigue the guy is ox . I dont worry about his stuff because he has 4 pitches and three very good ones . All I worry is they keep toying with his arm and development and just dont let him be one or the other . My personal opinion is let him pitch in the pen this year and start next year when Pettitte is probably gone. For the simple fact he gives NY that 1-2 knockout punch at the end but also because they have 4 high quality vet starters and some intriguing youngsters especially Hughes who could fulfill the 5 hole .

He just has to be a SP or a reliever . Not some guy with inn limits or pitch limits ( who isnt on a pitch count today anyway ) .

:shake:

I can bare about 5 minutes a month of Francesa because I cant stand his arrogant tone. This was odd because I was listening to Stephen A Smith and whoever else was sitting in for Kay on ESPN and they were talking about . Then later flipped to Francesa and he was talking about it as well. They were talking about how the Yanks were going to possible approach it Aug and Sept when his innings are near the limit and they have a 2-1 lead in the 7th aor 8th inning in the midst of a playoff race or how Joba might have a decent lead and just go 5 innings ...

Anyway , just wanted to through this out there . Need to research it more see what the real deal is .

I have no doubt that JOBA can be an elite starter . I dont worry about fatigue the guy is ox . I dont worry about his stuff because he has 4 pitches and three very good ones . All I worry is they keep toying with his arm and development and just dont let him be one or the other . My personal opinion is let him pitch in the pen this year and start next year when Pettitte is probably gone. For the simple fact he gives NY that 1-2 knockout punch at the end but also because they have 4 high quality vet starters and some intriguing youngsters especially Hughes who could fulfill the 5 hole .

He just has to be a SP or a reliever . Not some guy with inn limits or pitch limits ( who isnt on a pitch count today anyway ) .

:shake:

The Yanks are being overly cautious with Joba (150-180 innings this year) because they see the same potential as you and believe he needs to "build up" to 200 innings.
He's only thrown 118, 89, 132 and 100 innings in his last four seasons (college, minors and MLB)...plus, he's only 23 for most of this season (9-23-85).....:shake:

Joba UPDATE, 2:03 p.m.: Three innings in the books for Joba. 2 hits 0 runs, 1 walk, 3 Ks, 1 HBP. Still no score.

Good news on Cano and Marte:
UPDATE, 11:42 p.m.: MRIs back on Cano and Marte. No structural damage. Bursitis for Cano. Inflammation for Marte.
UPDATE, 12:51 p.m.: Cano said he should be ready to play on Friday. He’ll DH or pinch hit until then. No word as of yet as to when Marte will pitch. … The Yankees added outfielder Edwar Gonzalez and infielder Luis Nunez to the roster for today’s game.

gallery_enlarged-0317_alex_rodriguez_details_00.jpg

:36_11_6:

i can not believe they let him take that picture. but that vein in his arm is a steroid vein

The Yanks could have gotten rid of this egomaniac POS last year...now we have him for 9 more years....:seeya:
Maybe Madonna will convince him to give up baseball in favor of acting...

As I've mentioned NUMEROUS times...the best rotation in MLB:

The rotation looking sharp

19 innings, 8 hits, 2 earned runs, 2 walks, 16 strikeouts.
That’s how A.J. Burnett, Andy Pettitte, Joba Chamberlain, CC Sabathia and Chien-Ming Wang fared over the last five games.
Yes, it’s spring training. Yes, it doesn’t count. But if those five stay healthy, the Yankees can easily survive for however many weeks it takes for A-Rod to come back. The more you watch the Yankees in spring training, the more you realize what a difference it makes to have a quality starting pitcher walk out to the mound every single day.
Meanwhile, nobody has a better No. 6 than Phil Hughes. Not the way he is pitching this spring.

CC throws 81 pitches over 5 and positive news on Posada:

UPDATE, 3:06 p.m.: Sorry for the delay but had to conduct some interviews. CC allowed a run in the fifth inning on a double and a bad-hop single.
His final line: 5 innings, 7 hits, 1 one, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts. 81 pitches / 51 strikes.
The bigger news: Four runners tried to steal second on Jorge Posada and he threw out three of them. He said his shoulder feels 100 percent now and that those throws have given him great confidence.
Posada said he needed to slow down his throwing mechanics after starting the game with a poor throw. This is obviously excellent news for the Yankees.
Posada also praised how Sabathia holds runners by using a slide step delivery and being quick to the plate. CC said he will be conscious of doing all be can to help his catcher.

damn arod, why dun u stand up to that photographer and tell him, i'm not taking that fuken picture kissing the mirror or crying in the mirror.

damn arod, why dun u stand up to that photographer and tell him, i'm not taking that fuken picture kissing the mirror or crying in the mirror.

Because he's a NARCISSISTIC idiot...and closet homo (not that there is anything wrong with that). He is banging Madonna...and she is looking more and more like a man every year....:seeya:

Meet the Yanks starting CF in 2010 - AJax

Whatever you do, don’t hit a grand slam

Jesus Montero belted a grand slam against the Pirates on March 14 and was reassigned to the minor-league camp the next day. Austin Jackson belted a grand slam today and guess what happened? He was reassigned to the minor-league camp as well. Tough team to make, those Yankees.
But if you have to get cut, Jackson found a good way. After driving a 3-2 pitch over the fence in left, he came back to the clubhouse with a big smile and did an interview with the writers. Joe Girardi then sent Reggie Jackson to get him.
Austin went into the office, got the bad news and came back still smiling. He hit .333 this spring with three homers, 10 RBI, a double and a triple. You don’t like that he struck out 12 times, but that part of his game should improve. Pitch selection is rarely a strength for 22-year-olds who grew up playing as much basketball as baseball.
Mr. October loves him and has worked with Austin for several years, visiting his minor-league teams. He also spent some time with him in the cage this spring. “He’s my man,” Reggie said. “I loved seeing that home run.”
Austin welcomes the advice. If Reggie Jackson talks, you listen.
“It’s a good thing. He works with me in the cage and gets me back zoned in to where I need to be at when I’m struggling a little bit,” Austin said. “It’s good to have a Hall of Famer working with you every day. … If I see a pitch I like, he wants me to let it fly.”
The Yankees have worked with Jackson on how he “loads” his body at the plate, which is essentially a transfer of weight forward in his swing and a shift of his body so he can better pick up pitches.
“I have a lot of things I need to accomplish before I get to the next level,” Jackson said. “I need to recognize off-speed pitches better.”
Said Joe Girardi: “I think he was night and day when compared to last year’s camp, the adjustments that he’s made. He has played heads-up baseball. … He and (Brett) Gardner can bring a lot to a club. It’s not offense, offense, offense. They can run the bases and track down balls. It’s an exciting brand of baseball.”
Jackson will likely start the season with AAA Scranton. He’s an exciting player and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him in the Bronx in September and competing for a job next season. I’ve had a chance to spend some time talking with Austin and he has a great personality. I’ll be rooting for him to succeed.

AJ Burnett as a #3 starter? SWEET...

Another solid outing for Yanks' Burnett

By Peter Abraham
The Journal News • March 25, 2009
TAMPA, Fla. - A.J. Burnett has two more starts before the regular season. But he already appears ready to go.
The Yankees' right-hander was sharp again last night, allowing one run on three hits over 5 2/3 innings against the Red Sox. He walked two and struck out four
<script language="JavaScript">OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1');</script><script language="javascript1.1" src="http://gannett.gcion.com/addyn/3.0/5111.1/133600/0/0/ADTECH;alias=ny-westchester.thejournalnews.com/sports/article.htm_ArticleFlex_1;cookie=info;loc=100;target=_blank;grp=879838;misc=1237990953307"></script>"It was good when you can work a little more," said Burnett, who threw 83 pitches. "Any time you get your arm strength and get out there and use all your pitches for a few innings, you get more out of it."

Burnett had a one-hit shutout going after four innings. But two singles, a walk and a hit batter gave Boston a run in the fifth. David Ortiz's single drove in the run.
"I felt good. That was the main thing you worry about and what you train for," Burnett said. "Each time you go out there and build up, it's a positive."
Burnett left with the score tied 1-1. Burnett has a 1.20 ERA in four spring starts, allowing two runs over 15 innings.

A few impressions of spring training

Some leftover impressions after nearly eight weeks in Tampa …
• There were empty seats at Steinbrenner Field on Wednesday and a noticeable amount of empty seats at other parks over the course of the spring. I think we’re headed for a regular season where some teams will have to get used to crowds under 15,000.
• My first spring with the Yankees was 2006. I remember George Steinbrenner marching into Joe Torre’s office while we were interviewing him, sitting on the couch and asking some questions himself. Now Steinbrenner arrives at the ballpark in a wheelchair and his friends whisper about whether it’s a good day or a bad day.
• Hal Steinbrenner did not make himself available to the media once all spring, which is too bad because he usually has some intelligent things to say. You don’t get the feeling that he loves running the team but he’s doing the best job he can for the sake of his family. That’s honorable.
If Brett Gardner stays in the lineup, he’ll steal at least 40 bases and make plays in center field Yankee fans haven’t seen in decades. If he can keep his OBP around the league average, he’ll be a benefit. That’s a big if, however. But my money is on him.
• Prediction: Phil Hughes pitches at least 80 innings in the majors this season and proves to be an important piece. One of the starters is sure to break down at some point.
• When did Ramiro Pena suddenly become a hot prospect? Baseball America didn’t have him in their Top 30 and they weren’t incorrect. He can pick it but will he hit?
• Joe Girardi made a good, honest effort to build relationships with his players, coaches and the beat writers this spring. In his own words, he had to reach out to everybody in the clubhouse, no matter what their job was. But what counts — and he knows this — is what happens now.
Those who are worried about the bullpen should be. Jose Veras and Edwar Ramirez have not yet reached the trustworthy stage. Phil Coke looks terrific but is untested as well. The same is true of Jonathan Albaladejo. Brian Bruney also had a rocky spring. But there are a lot of quality arms in the minors and Girardi and Dave Eiland have shown they can handle a bullpen very efficiently.
I couldn’t be more impressed at how seriously CC Sabathia takes being a good teammate or how fully he has invested himself in being a Yankee and being in New York. Sure, he came for the money. Everybody does. But he is committed to making the relationship work.
• Rob Thomson is a very, very good third base coach.
How Girardi manages the playing time of Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui, Xavier Nady and Nick Swisher will be his biggest challenge this season.
• The ever-pessimistic Brian Cashman says mid-May. But I keep hearing Alex Rodriguez will be back a lot earlier than that.
• Sure, Derek Jeter has declined. Now name all the AL shortstops you would rather have. Go ahead. It’s a short list.
Robinson Cano is actually a superior second baseman when he pays attention to what he is doing.
• If I were a Yankee, I’d do whatever I could to stay on Jorge Posada’s good side. Jeter may be the captain but the catcher is the enforcer. He’s Sonny to Derek’s Michael.
Mark Teixeira looks like he wants to be the MVP. He mashed all spring.
• If Mariano Rivera is the captain of the bullpen, Jose Veras is sort of his second in command. He has a way of bringing people together.
Austin Jackson is going to have a huge year at Scranton.
• The Yankees make a big deal about their spring training guest instructors. Most of them don’t much beyond standing around. But you know who actually tries to help? Reggie Jackson. He’s totally full of himself, don’t get me wrong. But he makes an effort to help guys out.
• It was a lot of fun to meet so many folks who read the blog.
• Brett Tomko got screwed. I think they’ll regret not having a long man.
• Some amateur psychology on Joba Chamberlain: There was too much, too soon for him and his DUI was hard evidence of that. He got caught up in being Joba Chamberlain instead of remembering where he came from. Chamberlain seems more humble now and more willing to listen. Having CC Sabathia in his ear instead of Roger Clemens will be helpful, too.
You know who could emerge in the bullpen? Steven Jackson.
• You know who won’t? Humberto Sanchez. He can’t stay healthy.
• At some point soon, it’ll about the team and not the new Stadium. But we’re still a ways away from that.

It is almost time...

Back