Houston Nutt to coach the Ole Piss Rebels

Blue_Chip

Money Addict
Report: Nutt agrees with Ole Miss hours after resignation

Associated Press

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->

<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --><!-- begin page tools -->Updated: November 27, 2007, 9:43 AM ET

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --><!-- template inline -->JACKSON, Miss. -- From one Southeastern Conference team to another, Houston Nutt was out of a job for about six hours.

Nutt agreed to a contract with Mississippi late Monday night, just hours after he announced his resignation at Arkansas. The hiring was confirmed by a person close to the program who didn't want to be identified because the announcement had not yet been made.

Ole Miss was searching for a proven winner after firing coach Ed Orgeron on Saturday. The Rebels finished winless in the Southeastern Conference for the first time since 1982 and appeared to take a step backward after three years under the former Southern Cal assistant.

Nutt neatly fits the description of the coach Ole Miss was looking for. He is 111-70 in 15 years as a head coach, compiling a 111-70 record at Arkansas, Boise State and Murray State.

More importantly, he's been a winner in the SEC. The Little Rock, Ark., native rebuilt the Arkansas program, going 75-48 since his hiring in 1997 to replace Danny Ford. He was 42-38 in conference with one of his biggest wins coming last week when the Razorbacks beat No. 1 LSU 50-48 triple-overtime win.

While Arkansas is likely headed to the Cotton Bowl, Nutt will be going to the homes of recruits to try to hold together the promising class Orgeron was assembling.

Nutt, 50, said Monday he left Arkansas to help mend a split among fans after off-the-field problems were compounded by a difficult season. The Razorbacks started the year ranked and were expected to contend for the SEC West title against the Tigers.

Arkansas lost its first three SEC games and dropped out of the poll in September, fueling fan discontent over last year's transfer of quarterback Mitch Mustain.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Ole Miss is excited about Nutt going 75-48 in the SEC West since 1997, yet they fail to recognize he has never won the SEC title, just the SEC West twice.

It's Ole Miss...winning the SEC title isn't really on their radar (or shouldn't be anyway), going to a bowl is...

this is a great hire for Ole Miss. I actually think Nutt is a decent coach. never figured out why Arkansas hated him so much. If theres anyone that can turn this horeshit program around Nutt might be able to do it

I think Nutt is a great motivational speaker and he has a winning percentage, but he has not been able to win the SEC and the two times over a decade he captured the SEC West crown, it was by an extremely small margin.

And now he has to deal with in-state recruiting battles. MS colleges have a hard time recruiting their in-state talent because there are three recognized programs in MS (Ole Miss, Miss St, and Southern Miss) and then the smaller programs (MIss Valley St) and then the neighboring states with reputable football programs (LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vandy, Memphis, Tulane). There wasn't much competition in Fayetteville.

I wish Killa would read this thread. It seems as though I am going against the grain here, and Killa naturally goes against the gain.

Also, I want to add this. I think Nutt is a great improvement over Ogeron for the Ole Miss football program, but I think Ole Miss could have targeted a better coach.

Mike Leach to Arkansas?

That has been mentioned; however, I find it hard to believe if LSU gives Leach consideration he would take Arkansas over LSU. LSU will have holes to fill on defense next year, and with Pelini likely leaving and Crowton staying, then LSU would be overloading on offense and not enough defense, unless of course Muschamp makes a grand return (which I would gladly welcome).

Can colleges go without an offensive coordinator? If LSU got Leach, then they could rid of Crowton and allow Muschamp to have complete control of the defense. Thereby saving money for the future basketball coach. Am I getting ahead of myself? I need to slow down and just enjoy the SEC champ game this weekend.

Houston Nutt is a huge improvement. There is talent here in Oxford, just no resepct for the previous coach and no quarterback.

Now, we'll have a coach AND a quarter back in Sneed next year.

Look for the Rebels next year guys!

Leach has had to endure serious in-state recruiting battles, never had a losing season, made the largest comeback in D1 bowl history, and taught great college QB talent. I think the fact that he has had to take the leftovers from OU and Texas has prevented him from creating a Big 12 championship team.

Texas Tech to Arkansas is a lateral move for him.

Neither school has a legitimate shot of winning a conference championship year in and year out.

Tech pays him more than Arkansas would consider. We have an offensive coordinator acting as our head coach...that's one reason holding us back from consistent outings.'an_horse'

Texas Tech to Arkansas is a lateral move for him.

Neither school has a legitimate shot of winning a conference championship year in and year out.

Tech pays him more than Arkansas would consider. We have an offensive coordinator acting as our head coach...that's one reason holding us back from consistent outings.'an_horse'

How much does Tech pay Leach?

Back