Here's a fun debate...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
You have to pick one QB today today to lead your team for the next 12 games. We are not choosing an offense, but a QB. Throw away injuries and surrounding talent and schemes. Which current QB do you pick?

You guys are forgetting the part of the question...throw away injuries, surrounding talent and schemes.

I’m going to go with a guy who I think has super talent, zero surrounding talent and HORRIFIC coaching.

Zack Wilson at BYU.

Nobody loves Burrow more than I do (I have 12 Heisman tickets on him for fucks sake). But as a junior before this offense changed he was a nobody. Lawrence has insane skills but a cast around him that is amazing and a HOF coach.

You know Scarf is being unbiased when he's praising a BYU guy

Does anyone happen to have access to tight window throw percentage? That's probably where i'd want to start: who consistently makes the most difficult throws. Then x-factor/leadership traits, general consistency (e.g. doesn't throw a great pass then look awful on the next drive i.e., isn't Lewerke lol), fewest mistakes, (lowest adjusted interception percentage) and ability to run would be a plus.

If we throwing out injury concern Tua prob deserves mention but why the hell would I not care about injury concern? That a big problem starting a team if your qb always hurt.

Nobody loves Burrow more than I do (I have 12 Heisman tickets on him for fucks sake). But as a junior before this offense changed he was a nobody. Lawrence has insane skills but a cast around him that is amazing and a HOF coach.

I still don’t trust burrow at next level and especially in the savior of a crappy franchise role he gonna be thrown into. If he was being inserted into a already solid team I think he be fine. Not a lot are truly special enough to overcome the crappy franchise drafting them so it certainly not a knock. i don’t have nearly the doubts I expressed bout Faker before his draft, just not sure on burrow.

I think Tua and Lawrence have savior type talents.

Lawrence...dude consistently was ranked the best qb in 9 cycles by all of the top analysts in high school..won a natty as a true frosh 6 months after prom...dude unreal.

He can run ANY offense. Has great zip, accuracy and running ability..plus he's a solid big guy who can take a beating on the field.

Wow, I'm surprised no one said justin fields. I feel like he's a much better running threat than Joe or trevor, and closer in the arm talent dept than most observers might think. I believe if you dropped all 3 guys on a team with average talent at the OL and skill roles, justin would do the most because of the overall dual abilities more so than the other two.

The last two #1 picks who both hail from OU, were more mobile than joe and trevor.

Wow, I'm surprised no one said justin fields. I feel like he's a much better running threat than Joe or trevor, and closer in the arm talent dept than most observers might think. I believe if you dropped all 3 guys on a team with average talent at the OL and skill roles, justin would do the most because of the overall dual abilities more so than the other two.

The last two #1 picks who both hail from OU, were more mobile than joe and trevor.

Fields is good...he's more of a pocket guy than dual threat....jmo. The threat of the run makes him dangerous, but he rarely runs for long yardage....123/471...3.8 ypr.

Lawrence...this year...77/407...5.3 ypr

Lawrence is great....and deceptively fast.

Of course kyler and jalen were more mobile...so will deriq king when you get him next.

I’m one of the biggest Zach Wilson fans here but he has no business even being in the discussion after this season. Granted he was injured and has a dumbass coach

King won't be coming to OU. OU already has two QBs better than King with the best QB in the 2021 class committed.. And will probably add Chad Morrison's son in this class unless Morrison gets an OC job somewhere. (If I were a head coach at a school, especially a new coach, I'd hire Morrison. Get a top, proven OC and a top dual threat QB).

If King is smart he stays at Houston. It's his best shot.. Perfect coach and system, strong team around him, and a conference where he can be a star. If he's dumb he'll pull a; Kelly Bryant and go to a school where he doesn't fit, never really learns the scheme, and is forgotten a day after the season ends.

As for the forum question, I go with Lawrence with Bo Nix a close second. Forget Burrow. He has no eligibility left.

Fields is good...he's more of a pocket guy than dual threat....jmo. The threat of the run makes him dangerous, but he rarely runs for long yardage....123/471...3.8 ypr.

Of course kyler and jalen were more mobile...so will deriq king when you get him next.

Lawrence is sneaky fast, a real workout warrior, coachs favorite, gritty, white, etc.

He wont run a ton on sundays, but his movement and ability to throw on the run reminds me of A A RON. Hes gonna be super elusive, and when he does see an opening hes gonna break a few a season

I dont think hes nunber one right now or even will be from all college guys rn with that man rocket down in clemson still there, but of this years draft class if hes drafted by the right team and coached up, Eason will be the best qb in the class

Burrow has always been this same stud you see today, and he would have been the ohio state qb over first rounder duane haskins if not for a freak injury that by default gave haskins the job. Not your avg transfer situation - Burrow a better leader than haskins, more moxy, accurate, etc just wasn't perceived as having the nfl first rounder arm strength and size in comparison to haskins.

Same thing in comparing him to lawrence. Lawrence has the height, the arm, the stuff that doesn't matter as much as maybe evaluators thought it did in the old days; in comparison to the tom brady factors which burrow has.

lawrence has looked kinda overrated this year imo, especially to start the year.

The question was take away injuries, coaching, scheme and surrounding talent.

Lawrence (who I love) had ALL of those advantages and still started the first 1/3 of the season looking mediocre at best.

All of these other guys getting names have all of those advantages of having all of the things that make great teams.

I interpreted the question as which QB (on a non-contender) would have the chance to do what some of these great teams’ QB’s are doing if he were in their spot.

King won't be coming to OU. OU already has two QBs better than King with the best QB in the 2021 class committed.. And will probably add Chad Morrison's son in this class unless Morrison gets an OC job somewhere. (If I were a head coach at a school, especially a new coach, I'd hire Morrison. Get a top, proven OC and a top dual threat QB).

If King is smart he stays at Houston. It's his best shot.. Perfect coach and system, strong team around him, and a conference where he can be a star. If he's dumb he'll pull a; Kelly Bryant and go to a school where he doesn't fit, never really learns the scheme, and is forgotten a day after the season ends.

As for the forum question, I go with Lawrence with Bo Nix a close second. Forget Burrow. He has no eligibility left.
You know the offense better than I do at Oklahoma, but why take the number 1 pro style guy. I know LSU is after Caleb Williams pretty hard as most are. He seems a better fit for Linc, no?

I think Trevor Lawrence is the correct answer. He's got everything you need in spades. If it's strictly talent throwing the ball, I take Tua. He makes throws that other guys just don't, and he makes it look easy. But, his injury history can't be ignored

As a side discussion, I was thinking about who I would compare some of these current QBs to. Not sure on Lawrence, he's like a QB robot that NFL GMs made in a lab. For Burrow, I think he's like Joe Montana: knows where to put the ball on near every play, unflappable, great athlete, winner. Think his game also compares well to Brees, but maybe that's because they run the same offense. Tua is Marino or Aaron Rodgers. I haven't seen Fields enough to think of one off the top of my head

You have to pick one QB today today to lead your team for the next 12 games. We are not choosing an offense, but a QB. Throw away injuries and surrounding talent and schemes. Which current QB do you pick?
Trevor Lawrence

I’m one of the biggest Zach Wilson fans here but he has no business even being in the discussion after this season. Granted he was injured and has a dumbass coach

That's the part of the question BAR asked that I think most are forgetting. Sitake is a glorified position coach. Has zero idea what to do for prep, in-game situations and such. But much like North Carolina basketball, BYU football wants to "keep it in the family"...but they even ran Bronco out of town, which is a sign of just how far that program has dropped. Take away the injuries and scheme and coaching...if you dropped the Wilson kid in a big time programs with weapons the other guys have AND a coach...he'd be right up there as one of the best in the nation.

He's smart, accurate, great arm and is TOUGH...physically and mentally. That's what I'd look for if I were "building" a QB. He's just surrounded in a program with a bunch of talentless baffoons and no clue how to get the best out of him.

Trevor Lawrence

Of all the guys in the top programs, I would probably have him as the next guy on my list if it weren't for one thing that bothers me. What the hell was going on with him the first 4 or 5 games? And he HAS all of the luxuries a top QB nationally should have. He's hands down #1 pick next year I don't argue that....I just think for the framing of this question, I'm looking at it very differently than most.

That's the part of the question BAR asked that I think most are forgetting. Sitake is a glorified position coach. Has zero idea what to do for prep, in-game situations and such. But much like North Carolina basketball, BYU football wants to "keep it in the family"...but they even ran Bronco out of town, which is a sign of just how far that program has dropped. Take away the injuries and scheme and coaching...if you dropped the Wilson kid in a big time programs with weapons the other guys have AND a coach...he'd be right up there as one of the best in the nation.

He's smart, accurate, great arm and is TOUGH...physically and mentally. That's what I'd look for if I were "building" a QB. He's just surrounded in a program with a bunch of talentless baffoons and no clue how to get the best out of him.
No doubt, he’s a great talent for a true soph. He still isn’t a great decision maker and has a lot to work on. Sure he has shown flashes of brilliance but if I needed to win 12 games starting today I couldn’t consider him. It’s a shame he may not develop with this coaching staff

I was talking about baker Mayfield and kyler being more mobile !!

As a side discussion, I was thinking about who I would compare some of these current QBs to. Not sure on Lawrence, he's like a QB robot that NFL GMs made in a lab. For Burrow, I think he's like Joe Montana: knows where to put the ball on near every play, unflappable, great athlete, winner. Think his game also compares well to Brees, but maybe that's because they run the same offense. Tua is Marino or Aaron Rodgers. I haven't seen Fields enough to think of one off the top of my head

When I see fields I think big ben / cam newton hybrid. Tall sturdy dude who can move and really sling the pill. Tough runner and slippery enough down near the goal line.

Back