Hawaii Vs Bama

NickFazekas said:
If you dont think davone bess plays in the NFL i dont know what to tell ya

Yeah, the NFL loves drafting 5-10 180lb wide receivers.
rolleyes2.gif

den...

WAC does'nt have a clue to what "D" is.....How many WAC teams have won NC's?????? Serious........

Jump--

Exactly. This all has to relate with a 17 point spread. Can Bama score and can Hawaii defend? Can Hawaii score against Bama's D (which will be a shade or two off of last year's unit)? Will Hawaii turn in a typical "off the island" performance?

I like the +17 but it ain't because Hawaii is such a great team, but because Bama will have difficulty putting points up and will not have as good a D as they had last year.

Think Bama wins by 10-14 but they could cover 17 if their O can actually play. Just too many ?s in my mind not to take Hawaii in this spot, if you had to.

NickFazekas said:
I guess we'll see but give me the WAC team with June Jones and a half a dozen first day NFL picks littering the offense.

dude, go see the principal. :spank: b/c you have been :drinking: the WAC kool-aid. embarassing.

SoonerBS said:
You want to state the post where someone said they were "blindly" betting conference vs. conference?

Nick, whenever you have two teams playing an out of conference game, you have to size up the "strength of conferences" as PART of your handicapping of a game. It's not ALL you consider in a play, but it IS part of the consideration. And while we are considering it, the SEC is DEFINITELY a TON stronger than the WAC!!!

Hey Denny. what happened when Boise and their potent offense went to Georgia last year in the first game of the season!! oih yea, thats right. thye got murdered.

let the douche keep doing his thing. He is humorous and is a great example for the lurkers to pay attention to and not act this way when they become members.

It's a heated discussion on the game - I like the interaction back and forth - as long as no cheap shots are taken... Just wait until Horn and Ohio State discussions take place - lol...

Tarheel Brn&Bred said:
Hey Denny. what happened when Boise and their potent offense went to Georgia last year in the first game of the season!! oih yea, thats right. thye got murdered.

let the douche keep doing his thing. He is humorous and is a great example for the lurkers to pay attention to and not act this way when they become members.

Huge difference between that Georgia team and this Alabama team...imo

flava,

that's just how my brain works I guess...hopefully we won't be against eachother too much this year...

You guys are funny. I guess all I have to say is have fun at your 9 to 5, I do this shit for a living.

This game is like an IQ test, you have to ignore history and actually do some analyzation of this matchup. +17 is too much.

I need more of an argument here than WAC vs SEC guys. Anyone who would have bet against hawaii laying 17 or on bama laying 17 would have gone dead broke last year. You might have won what 1 or 2 games all year? Now Hawaii has the best returning offense in the nation (statistically) while bama works in new starters on both sides of the ball (not a problem, yada yada, SEC has 3 strings of all americans)

but for bama backers, please explain how there is even value laying anything more than 7-10 points.

How do you find even a speck of value in Bama laying 17 considering this team only averaged 20 points a game last year?

Last year both teams had a common opponent Utah State, both at home. Hawaii won 50-23, Bama won 35-3

We know Hawaii is better than they were last year, you better be SURE bama is.

We know Hawaii is going to score, even on the road even at an SEC venue (with that SCARY sec crowd and 3rd stringers who can bench press 500 lbs)

68% of wagerline so far is on bama -17, and the line went to -16.5???

I just see people bashing me cause I have a WAC bias. I guess thats all you can say when there is clearly no points you can make about how bama laying -17 is a good deal huh?

Nick, let me ask you a simple question to test whether or not you have a WAC bias or not:

Do you think that IF Hawaii were in the SEC, Big12, or Big Ten conference that they would "still be the best returning offense in the nation (statistically)?"

absolutly not, man cmon quit insulting me here. The WAC is conducive to offense more than most conferences. They will score points on anybody, anywhere this year. Would they be #1 offense if they were in the SEC? no. but they would be a productive offense anywhere.

so SEC vs WAC and homefield advantage is the only argument that can be made for bama -17, just to be clear?

nick.....

So, you do this shit for a living.....Let me ask a few ??'s here....Do you not think, Vegas knows how "HIGH OCTANE" this Rainbow offense is???? Do they not know that Bama is replacing several key players on Defense?.. We are replaceing, whom everyone thinks was god, at QB.....The boy had 1,092 injuries in his HS and College career..
If the Rainbows are that "GOOD", tell my why in the hell they set this line that high??? I thought, like you, when the line came out, that it was way to high.....got second thoughts, now....Vegas knows more than you(the pro)and I ever will.....I will play the game for a small amount..There are much better lines out there....

fade.....

take a look at the early betting action

70% of it is on bama thats why the line -17.

Bama is one of the biggest public plays of week 1. I'm siding with vegas here........

NickFazekas said:
so SEC vs WAC is the only argument that can be made for bama -17, just to be clear?

Strength of conference has to always be part of good sound handicapping. Along with personnel, stats, situations, and to a lesser degree, trends.

This game is right where it it is suppose to be according to power ratings and setting lines. So, we have to ask, why is that whenever Alabama lost 7 starters off their awesome defense of a year ago, and their starting QB, that they are having to lay -17 points to a WAC team with a potent offense?

Well, for starters, they bring back 9 starters on an offense that averaged 21.9 ppg a year ago. Even though the defense lost several starters, they still have a lot of experience as 9 out of the starting 11 will be either JRs or SRs. The defense only allowed 10.7 ppg last season!! This team this year on offense and defense is a Sr. dominated team. It's very probable that they will remember losing to Hawaii at Hawaii in 2002. So, there is a revenge factor as well that no one has brought up.

Alabama's players will be stronger and faster on both sides of the line than Hawaii's players. That's because they recruit better athletes. You put those better athletes in front of the home crowd in Tuscaloosa, Alabama in a season opener against a team that is 4-11 SU & ATS on the mainland the last three years and it gives Alabama the definite edge in this game and makes one question whether the line might not be right where it belongs!

I've already layed money on the UNDER 53. I think Alabama will dominate the time of possession in the game and that their defense will be good enough to give Hawaii's offense some fits. Why do I think that? Because Shula was smart enough to limit one of the best "spread offenses" in college football to only 10 points in the Cotton Bowl to end the season last year! Now, he has had an entire Spring and Summer to work on stopping Hawaii.

NickFazekas said:
You guys gotta wake up and quit bashing me

It's not that we are bashing you, Nick, we are simply criticizing your comments and questioning your reasoning. Hell, I've gone through it for the last 4 years on these boards! You can't have thin skin if you're going to throw out an opinion.

SoonerBS said:
It's not that we are bashing you, Nick, we are simply criticizing your comments and questioning your reasoning. Hell, I've gone through it for the last 4 years on these boards! You can't have thin skin if you're going to throw out an opinion.

Well hopefully I enlightened you as to why bama is an absolute sucker bet when you add up the numbers, matchups, Shula vs Jones, and factor the public loves bama. And its a reverse line move so good luck if you go against it, in college these hit at a phenomenal rate (hmm wonder why student athletes need money?). Good luck week 1 guys:cheers:

Hawaii definitly doesn't have anywhere close the defense bama has so I will just tell everyone now I'm not saying that before you accuse me of saying that too.

And Im not telling everyone this is a lock either. Anything can happen, i just don't see any value in basically having to call a bama 20+ point win against a game opponent.

"Shula was smart enough to limit one of the best "spread offenses" in college football to only 10 points in the Cotton Bowl to end the season last year! Now, he has had an entire Spring and Summer to work on stopping Hawaii."

Thats a joke right? Maybe he has grown as a coach. That screws up my plans big time on this bet if Shula is a good coach now lol.

NickFazekas said:
"Shula was smart enough to limit one of the best "spread offenses" in college football to only 10 points in the Cotton Bowl to end the season last year! Now, he has had an entire Spring and Summer to work on stopping Hawaii."

Thats a joke right?

Final score: Alabama 13 Texas Tech 10

I think the key figure to look at there is bama 13
paint_help.gif

Sam Houston st put up 21 on Tech last year

the last i'll say for SEC vs WAC

If you count both teams leagues top to bottom, not even close to a contest obviously, wac has some pretty shitty teams at the bottom. However, Boise St, Fresno St, Nevada, and this year Hawaii are all good enough if things go right and they are completely healthy to play anybody on any given day (see USC vs Fresno st) and can also be a disastor like Boise st vs Georgia, but I also remember Boise st giving BC a hell of a battle and that was with bonehead Zabransky trying to sabotage that team at every step it seemed last year. He sure didn't give them a chance vs georgia.

I'll say thank you very much Jared Zabransky and gobble up the extra 10 points (vs the +7 boise st was getting at georgia last year in a somewhat comparable matchup)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now this is the kind of info that might make me make a play on Hawaii . . . .

Island hospitality is evident on The Flats
[SIZE=-2]Mike Knobler - Staff[/SIZE]

[FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Thursday, August 24, 2006[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Two former Falcons head coaches will be running practices next week at Georgia Tech.
No, Tech's Chan Gailey hasn't outsourced the job of preparing his team to face No. 2 Notre Dame. June Jones and Jerry Glanville have a team of their own, and they face a challenging opener, too.
Head coach Jones and defensive coordinator Glanville's Hawaii Warriors will practice on Tech's Rose Bowl Field on Wednesday night and Thursday night before busing to Birmingham on Friday for Saturday's game in Tuscaloosa against Alabama, which is ranked No. 24 in the USA Today coaches poll.
Hawaii leaves its campus at 2 p.m. Tuesday and is scheduled to arrive in Atlanta at 6:56 a.m. Wednesday. The Warriors are traveling early in the week to allow players a chance to recover from the 8 1/2-hour flight and the five-hour time difference between their campus and Alabama. There was no scheduled non-stop service to Birmingham.
"We wanted to get to a hotel and go to sleep when we land," Jones said.
So he called Tech in search of a practice facility. Jones has known Gailey since 1985, when Gailey was a Denver Broncos assistant and Jones was with the USFL's Denver Gold.
"I've known June forever," Gailey said. "I talked to June on the phone and said, 'What do you need?' And he said, 'Hey, I need some night practices, and we won't interfere with you.' And I said, 'Sure.' They've got a tough situation. I don't mind helping out people in a tough situation."
Hawaii's practices won't start until 7 p.m. Tech will be done by 6:15. The Yellow Jackets are letting the Warriors use the field for free. Maybe Jones will bring Gailey some macadamia nuts, but there won't be much socializing. "He's got Notre Dame, and he's got his hands full," Jones said. "Hopefully, I'll get a chance to say hello to him."
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Hey guys, alot of good stuff in this thread to think about!!!!! If I play this game, I'll be all over the under in this game. Hawaii does not play to well in the mainlands, and Alabama always has a good defense. I see this game being 17-10, 24-13 type of game, Bama will win at home!!!!!

GL to everyone.

:cheers:

There's a lot of good info here guys, and I honestly think there's good reasoning for either play. I wouldn't shit on any SEC defense, and Bama is a notable example (tho there seem to be questions about a young secondary). I similarly wouldn't shit on Hawaii offense.

Hawaii on the mainland (not to mention an SEC team at home) pretty much excludes for me the chance of an outright win for Hawaii. Not saying it can't happen.....just that I think it's particularly unlikely. I love playing ML dogs (my fave covers thread is Garfather's ML dog thread), and the number would have to be jackass stupid high for me to do this one.

But I see Hawaii +17 -105 at pinny right now. I am like fly on shit. Bama may win and may cover. I think Hawaii has more than a fair shot at covering.

no need to lose respect for each other guys. looks like you both know what you're talking about; it's okay to come to different conclusions.

good thread.

oh, and as for what the NFL teams will do, who foresaw Mario Williams picked before Bush AND Young?

I had a massive WTF moment.

Back