Gullit resigns as Galaxy coach; Lalas out as well

evalagoal

Pretty much a regular
Holly Damn!
But should this surprise anyone though? The Galaxy are F***d UP:hang:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Ruud Gullit has resigned as coach of the slumping Los Angeles Galaxy for personal reasons, and president/general manager Alexi Lalas also is out of a job.

"We are stepping up and doing what we need to do to straighten this thing out," Galaxy investor/operator Tim Leiweke told The Associated Press on Monday in announcing the changes.

The Galaxy, led by English star David Beckham and Landon Donovan, are on a seven-match winless streak as they play Chivas USA on Thursday night.
"There are two good people that for different reasons aren't part of this organization today, and that's a shame," Leiweke said. "The fact is, the players have to look deep inside themselves and understand they have to be responsible for some of this.
"Am I angry we find ourselves in the situation we find ourselves in? Yes. This is not a fun week. The Galaxy hasn't made the playoffs for a couple years. Punting on this season is not acceptable. It starts Thursday."
Much was expected when Beckham joined the Galaxy last season. But he was limited to five games because of injuries and the Galaxy went 9-14-7 for 34 points, and were eliminated from playoff contention on the season's final day.
The Galaxy were in pretty good shape this season before the recent winless streak left them at 6-8-5 with just 23 points.
Gullit will be succeeded on an interim basis by 37-year-old Cobi Jones, a first-year assistant who retired following last season after spending his entire pro career with the Galaxy. The 45-year-old Gullit signed a three-year contract last November, making him one of the MLS' highest-paid coaches.
"I think this was a tough move professionally and personally for Ruud," Leiweke said. "I don't think it was working out for him and his family. I have no issues with Ruud, I appreciate what he's done for us. And we move on."
Leiweke, the president and CEO of AEG, said Jones was the interim coach "for right now."
"I appreciate Cobi's stepping in," Leiweke said. "The one guy's loyalty and passion over there I don't question is his. I think we have eliminated any and all excuses now. No one can point any fingers."
<CENTER> </CENTER>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=230 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=caption></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Leiweke said no potential head coaches have been contacted.
"But we have a short list," he said. "We respect Cobi, he's stepping in and filling a void. Whether or not Cobi's comfortable being the head coach or whether or not he has the experience, we'll play that one by ear. Cobi certainly will have a voice in this."
Leiweke said he hopes Jones will remain with the team no matter how the search for a coach goes.
"Hopefully Cobi feels the same way," Leiweke said. "That said, we'll see where we go with the head coaching position."
Leiweke said he didn't know whether a permanent head coach will be named before the end of the season.
"I don't think we're going to mandate or dictate that," he said. "We certainly could make a quick decision if that's what's necessary. My guess is a lot of people will want to throw their name in the ring here."
The 37-year-old Lalas' contract runs out at the end of the season.
"I think because of the Ruud situation, it was an opportunity to once and for all look for a fresh start," Leiweke said. "Alexi's been with us a long time. I'm very appreciative of everything he's done for the Galaxy. That one is painful. We haven't made the playoffs for two years running, and we're headed for a third year. You can't blame Alexi entirely. I do think we need a fresh start."
Leiweke said Tom Payne, who has served as Lalas' assistant, will run the business side of the team. Paul Bravo, the director of soccer, will work with Jones on personnel decisions, he said. Lalas left a similar position with the New York Red Bulls to join the Galaxy on April 17, 2006, as the successor to Doug Hamilton, who died of a heart attack.

THANK YOU

And it's THIS exact reason why Soccer in the US WILL NEVER IMPROVE... From the outside it all looks good, but internally it suxz' ballz

Soccer in the US will continue to grow & the league will expand & the players will improve. Ruud was a great player. Doesn't mean hes a good coach a change was definitely needed.:smiley_abcs:

U.S soccer is still one of the fastest growing programs in the world over the last 15 years.

MLS is a big part of that and seeing the U.S take it to the Dutch at the Olympics is some recent proof.

The MLS is like the NBA D-league or Arena Football when compared to the Premiership, Serie A or La Liga.

That being said my favourite player in the world plays for the Houston Dynamo....

Last edited:
U.S soccer is still one of the fastest growing programs in the world over the last 15 years.

MLS is a big part of that and seeing the U.S take it to the Dutch at the Olympics is some recent proof.

Horn, come on man, do you seriously think the Dutch give a rats ass about the Olympics?

Sure the US have some up and coming youngsters. They have a very technical program but I have yet to see a player outside of Freddy Adu to be naturally skilled. Watching the US players is like watching Chelsea play...so stiff.

I think the Asian market is a much more faster growing program than the US. The fan base in Asia is far more superior as well. The European clubs are more inclined to set up Academies there. Only recently have we seen the big European clubs enter in the US Market for friendlies. Plus the majority of the US fan base are mainly Mexicans from what I've seen in the stands.

Horn, come on man, do you seriously think the Dutch give a rats ass about the Olympics?

Sure the US have some up and coming youngsters. They have a very technical program but I have yet to see a player outside of Freddy Adu to be naturally skilled. Watching the US players is like watching Chelsea play...so stiff.

I think the Asian market is a much more faster growing program than the US. The fan base in Asia is far more superior as well. The European clubs are more inclined to set up Academies there. Only recently have we seen the big European clubs enter in the US Market for friendlies. Plus the majority of the US fan base are mainly Mexicans from what I've seen in the stands.

Why would the Dutch players not care? It's the Olympics and a chance to win a gold medal. The Ducth are the back to back Under 21 Euro champs and always have solid youth teams. From the 25th to 85th minute they were outplayed by our under 23s. Our Under 20 team at the World Cup outplayed Brazil.

Since the 1994 World Cup soccer in this country has grown 10 times over. The number of kids playing has increased growing our talent pool. The stands might not be packing them in because the MLS isn't a top level product but it has helped identify young talent for the national squad.

In 1994 Harkes was the only guy playing in Europe (not even premier league in England) . Now tons of kids are playing all over Europe.

Our current team might not be Brazil but we've had some pretty solid kids coming through Bradenton the last couple of years.

Bradley, Adu, and Altidore are outside of Donovan probably the best players with the highest upside this country has ever produced. They are all under 20 years old.

That is what I meant by bringing up the 15 year remark. Beating Portugal, owning Mexico, etc in World Cup play is alot different then barely getting a 1-0 win over TT on the road in 1990 WC qualifying.

Why would the Dutch players not care? It's the Olympics and a chance to win a gold medal. The Ducth are the back to back Under 21 Euro champs and always have solid youth teams. From the 25th to 85th minute they were outplayed by our under 23s. Our Under 20 team at the World Cup outplayed Brazil.

Since the 1994 World Cup soccer in this country has grown 10 times over. The number of kids playing has increased growing our talent pool. The stands might not be packing them in because the MLS isn't a top level product but it has helped identify young talent for the national squad.

In 1994 Harkes was the only guy playing in Europe (not even premier league in England) . Now tons of kids are playing all over Europe.

Our current team might not be Brazil but we've had some pretty solid kids coming through Bradenton the last couple of years.

Bradley, Adu, and Altidore are outside of Donovan probably the best players with the highest upside this country has ever produced. They are all under 20 years old.

That is what I meant by bringing up the 15 year remark. Beating Portugal, owning Mexico, etc in World Cup play is alot different then barely getting a 1-0 win over TT on the road in 1990 WC qualifying.

Ok Ok so you are going gaga that the Americans drew with the Dutch? So lets see when the Americans play decent opposition for a real competition they don't show up....lets see when the last time they played a REAL team for a meaningful game.

July 5th, 2007 vs Colombia for Copa America...result 0-1 loss
July 2nd, 2007 vs Paraguay for Copa America...result 1-3 loss
June 28th, 2007 vs Argentina for Copa America...result 1-4 loss
June 24th, 2007 vs Mexica for Copa America...result 2-1 win

So as you can see, your team is stuck playing Friendlies all the time and actually no real competition and when they do face the real deal they mess up.

During the U20s, the Brasilians were struggling in general so you caught them at the right moment. But then I can say what happened vs South Korea? What happened vs Austria? Are you going to say you dominated that as well because you certainly didn't

Your player development maybe great but so are the African teams and what happens to their senior team? They barely get past the 2nd Round of World Cups.

Yes Jozy Altidore, Danny Szetela and Michael Bradley are looking good but when I saw them last year vs Austria....they still had a LONG way to go in terms of competiting with the stronger European nations. When you have a player like McBride leading with experience it calms the players down. I am just wondering who will be the next leader will be for the next generation? I just can't see Adu being a good captain, he just doesn't posses that command that a player like McBride naturally has. The players are now getting the exposure they deserve but again I say, that they are not naturally talented as other countries.

July 5th, 2007 vs Colombia for Copa America...result 0-1 loss
July 2nd, 2007 vs Paraguay for Copa America...result 1-3 loss
June 28th, 2007 vs Argentina for Copa America...result 1-4 loss
June 24th, 2007 vs Mexica for Copa America...result 2-1 win

You might want to go look at the U.S roster for that tournament.

The U.S just got done winning its regions tournament the Gold Cup with their "A" team. The Copa America was the following week so the U.S didn't bring its best players.

Check out the rosters bro. Anyone that follows U.S soccer knows that team was a "B" squad. Copa America reps were pissed and probably won't invite the U.S back because of it.

Most of us were pissed as well because it was such a high profile tournament and they brought a poor team.

I'm pretty sure Horn here can get you an autograph! If I'm not mistaken Horn did mention he has close ties with Brian Ching and DeRo

That I can do. Dero is a very good friend of mine.

I remind him all the time how bad the U.S team could've used a creative central midfielder.

Back