GT/Notre Dame game Discussion

• Thread starter Thread starter signalcaller
  • Start date Start date
S

signalcaller

I know this is going to be a big game and heavily bet so I just wanted to get everyones insight.

IMO they get an upgrade at QB with Reggie Ball leaving. I dont think any player in CFB History has cost me more money than that p.o.s. But they do lose the most dominating player in the game in CJ. He drew defensive attention to constant sometimes even triple teams. They get Tashard Choice back also who had close to 1500 yards last year and was the leading rusher in the ACC. There Defense was dominating last year and they return 8 of their starters which could be the best D in the ACC.

Notre Dame I really dont know much about. I know they lose a lot of overrated talent and im sure they will just replace it with more. I already hate Jimmy Clausen and he hasnt even played a game yet. They lose Walker and Samardzija which could turn out to be huge. They have sophomores starting at HB and both WR spots with a true frosh QB. Any word on if Clausen is even going to be healthy yet? Defense wasnt the greatest last year but they do return Crum and Zbikowski so that could be a decent start.

I would just like to get some discussion going on this game since I do plan on laying some money on Yellow Jackets but just wanted to get some people opinion on this game.

clausensmall.jpg

Just thought I would add this to show how big of a deuche ND starting QB is

I am just pasting this from my WK 1 match up thread w/ a few edits.

Georgia Tech @ Notre Dame:

I want to say that I have always hated ND and love to see them lose so I have a feeling I am really going to enjoy watching them this yr (7-5??) First things first, I think GT is going to be a dog to ND (+3?) at home and I will welcome any points I get on that side as I feel GT wins SU here.

Georgia Tech (9-5)
Offense: 7 starters back, should have their best OL under Gainley in his tenure. 8 of the top 10 OL are back this yr and the four returning starters combine for 113 career starts. Tashard Choice (1,534yds in 06') will look to exceed last years production in 07' and this is a very deep unit along with a top FB in Mike Cox (20 starts).

GT key offensive losses: Calvin Johnson
*I did not add Reggie Ball here because they are better without him, everyone who watched the bowl game knows Taylor Bennett can't do worse than Reggie Ball.

Defense: 8 starters back on this side of the ball. The defensive line returns 7 of their top 8 (lost 1st TM ACC DT Joe Anoai), this line included 5 with starting experience. This is one of the strengths of the team along with the OL. The LB position returns 5 of their top 6 with the only loss being #1 tackler KaMichael Hall. DB's also have 7 of the top 8 returning including 5 with starting experience.

GT key defensive losses: DL Joe Anoai, LB KaMichael Hall, CB Kenny Scott

The lines of this team are strong, RB Tashard Choice is more than capable of carrying the load early as they ease Bennett into the starting role. The defense will be one of the tops in the ACC and will keep them in the games as well..WR James Johnson will be looked at as the #1 guy (39rec-608yd-7td), of course Calvin always helps those numbers.

Notre Dame (10-3)
Offense: This unit returns 4 starters and currently does not have a starting QB. Will it be Demetrius Jones, Evan Sharpley, is Clausen out for the yr? As you can see there are a lot of question marks at QB here in late June. The RB postion lost Walker but will be alright with a healthy Aldridge, a highly recruited rb in Armando Allen, and Travis Thomas who started 10 games at LB last yr but has converted to offense. WR postion will be hit hard as they not only lost their two leading receivers, they lost height as well. Two of the projected starters this yr are 5'8 and 5'10 compared to the 6'5 Samardzija and 6'2 McKnight. I know all about Kamara but asking a true frosh to come in and dominate is something else. The OL is hit hard by departures as they lose three very experienced linemen, this will be a very young position which lacks chemistry and experience.

ND Key Offensive losses: QB Brady Quinn, RB Walker, WR Samardzija, McKnight, LG Dan Santucci (13 st), LT Ryan Harris (13st), RG Morton (13 st).

Defense: First there will be a change in philosophy as they move to the 3-4 defense this season. This unit will return 5 starters from a unit that didn't perform that well in 06'. The DL will have 1 less position to fill as they change from 4-3 to 3-4 and that is good for ND who lost DE Abiamiri (13st), DT Landri (13st), DE Frome (9st). Also included in this mix is a few players with a few tackles. The players who accounted for 18 of the 23.5 sacks are gone. The LB unit will have to anchor the defense as they only lose 2 lb's this season. They will have 2 starters back as this position as they move into the new defense. The DB position has been a weak link to the ND defense for a little bit now. They have had a problem with speed the past few years and do return their rock in Zbikowski. Ambrose Woodson who was a 12game starter in 05', lost his position last yr, is back as well, he will give them much needed help they ned. They also have 6 back with starting experience.

Key Defensive losses: Most of the key defensive losses happened on the DL, the LB's are the core of this defense and the DB's can't play much worse.

Other notes: GT has won their last three road openers (Auburn, Samford, BYU). GT led 10-0 late in the second quarter before eventually losing 14-10 in last yrs matchup. GT ran 28times-119yds last yr and allowed Brady Quinn to go 23-38-246yds. I am looking for these numbers this yr to change as I don't feel ND will have near the offensive fire power. I really think ND is going to have a lot of transition problems first wk as they try to get this offense going. There is no time to gel and they are running into a rock solid defense who will be light yrs ahead of their offense. Another distinct advantage GT will have is with their OL pounding the ND newly inserted defensive scheme and DL. Tashard Choice should run wild as well as the Tech OL overpowers the ND defense. I really think GT wins this game handily in South Bend by 7-10 or more. One last important note, GT lost 12 lettermen and return 49, ND lost 28 lettermen and return only 30.

way too many unkowns in this game..imo, this is one to stay very far away from.

Thats a great job ETG. Defintly started the thread off right with a great amount of insight. I can only pray that your right and GT will be catching a field goal

I won't be pulling the trigger on this game. I had a chance for some real value when the golden nugget games of the year first came out but my lazy ass didnt get down there in time and now I would be taking so much the worst of it that I won't bet it. My power ranking made GT a 1 or 1.5 pt favorite in this game. Other spots look more juicy to me. if you need more info on notre dame, lindetrain had a good write up on them. good luck in this game !!! I am like a kid in the candy store now that the lines have come out. I'm sooooo happy.

haha, I wish they would throw Clausen to the wolves in wk1. Just like I wish Clemsux would thrown Korn out there vs. FSU. It would be the worst day of their lives for both of them but their coaches will baby them along

Clausen

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I probably follow ND more closely than anyone on this board, so if you want factual info, please feel free to ask me. If you want my opinion, it will be tainted by my bias.

Clausen has offseason elbow surgery and they don't expect him to be ready until at least the Michigan game. Expect Sharpley to start vs GT.

Also, expect ND to focus on a power running game this year. The last 2 years the OL was dominated by finesse type OL that fit with Willingham's offense (sic). The running game last year was more of a fake-passing game (draws) than a a true running game. The new OL are built more for a power running game as are running backs Thomas and Aldridge. Expect ND to focus on a power game. Will it be successful?

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I probably follow ND more closely than anyone on this board, so if you want factual info, please feel free to ask me. If you want my opinion, it will be tainted by my bias.

Clausen has offseason elbow surgery and they don't expect him to be ready until at least the Michigan game. Expect Sharpley to start vs GT.

Also, expect ND to focus on a power running game this year. The last 2 years the OL was dominated by finesse type OL that fit with Willingham's offense (sic). The running game last year was more of a fake-passing game (draws) than a a true running game. The new OL are built more for a power running game as are running backs Thomas and Aldridge. Expect ND to focus on a power game. Will it be successful?

probably not against gt's defense

Back