Great ESPN Piece On SWC Football

I love some of the quotes.

Crowe:

we have a hard time beating Texas here. In the SEC there are fives Texas’. FIVE.

I was at that final Texas / A&M game in College Station where James Brown played with an ankle swollen the size of a tennis ball and all hell broke out after we won 16-6. Didn't recall that Rice / Houston purposefully scheduled their game to be the last one played. Hah.

The hatred, vitriol and toxicity that's evident in this article between schools and how that translates onto the field is what will always separate the college game from the pros

Last edited:
I was at that final Texas / A&M game in College Station where James Brown played with an ankle swollen the size of a tennis ball and all hell broke out after we won 16-6. Didn't recall that Rice / Houston purposefully scheduled their game to be the last one played. Hah.

The hatred, vitriol and toxicity that's evident in this article between schools and how that translates onto the field is what will always separate the college game from the pros
I really enjoyed that article. Great getting all those guys to speak freely.

I never knew about Baylor and the governor. That’s wild if true....

Frank, not sure of your age, were you at the '79 game?

I’m a recruiting follower too. I can’t even imagine those battles with all that money being thrown around. Crazy

Nope, I was a junior at the '95 game. '79 was a little before my time.

Was there a good fight at that one?
action was at the south end zone. Everyone was watching.
A loud bang from the north. Some fish snuck up and fired the cannon . As they ran off they were caught by upperclassmen and read the riot act right there on the sideline.
Ags 13
(6)Horns 7

A loud bang from the north. Some fish snuck up and fired the cannon . As they ran off they were caught by upperclassmen and read the riot act right there on the sideline.
Ags 13
(6)Horns 7
Hah.
By A&M upperclasssmen? If so, read the riot act or had a statue erected?

I was also at the SMU game where the cadet pulled his sabre on the SMU cheerleaders.
sigh, good times.

I have to gather my thoughts. It was the finest conference ever - just look at a map. Rivalries, brothers vs brothers, families versus families and all good natured.

Maybe the best game in SWC ever?

In 2000 I got to be business friends with James Street. Great guy. Recovered alcoholic and became very successful.

I was a sophomore in college when Earl won the Heisman. We had a perfect season and were #1 all year.

This was a sad day. I was there:

Ags 13
(6)Horns 7
Hah.
By A&M upperclasssmen? If so, read the riot act or had a statue erected?

That was my Senior year.

Guess who was in charge of guarding the cannon that day?
Guess who was mixing a scotch and water and not paying attention to his job?
Guess who was part of the fight?

I was one of these guys - decades earlier of course

1606947278260.png

Last edited:
That was my Senior year.

View attachment 52200
were you the one that grabbed the straggler by the waist?
There was 4 that snuck up, but one got caught. Since he was way behind, that's the one I remember getting dressed down.

That was my Senior year.

View attachment 52200
Wow that’s crazy man. You were drinking on the sidelines?!

were you the one that grabbed the straggler by the waist?
There was 4 that snuck up, but one got caught. Since he was way behind, that's the one I remember getting dressed down.
To be honest, I hate the memory. It was a big honor to guard the cannon at the Aggie game. The Texas Cowboys (Earl was a member, Tom Landry, Denton Cooley and on and on) voted like 5 Seniors to do the job at the Aggie game. I was one of the Senior Cowboys elected.

The "new" Aggie Corp guys lined up in the entrance to the EZ all game and would wait to see if they ever had the opportunity. They never got the opportunity until I was mixing that drink. All I remember was punches thrown, wrestling around and some chaos for a few minutes. Not my finest moment.

I have to gather my thoughts. It was the finest conference ever - just look at a map. Rivalries, brothers vs brothers, families versus families and all good natured.

In 2000 I got to be business friends with James Street. Great guy. Recovered alcoholic and became very successful.
That pass to Cotton Spier(sp). that got them down close to the goal. I kept yelling he was out.
I was a hog fan growing up in the 60's. Probably, bcuz everyone was UT fans. Called all my cousins at halftime, rubbing it in as it was 14-0 Hogs. My phone started ringing the minute the game was over. They called to give the me the business back.
That was the greatest game. Nixon even called in during the game.
Wasn't Rhodes the MLB at Arky . What a beast. Montgomery, I think Chuck Dicus was on that team also.

That pass to Cotton Spier(sp). that got them down close to the goal. I kept yelling he was out.
I was a hog fan growing up in the 60's. Probably, bcuz everyone was UT fans. Called all my cousins at halftime, rubbing it in as it was 14-0 Hogs. My phone started ringing the minute the game was over. They called to give the me the business back.
That was the greatest game. Nixon even called in during the game.
Wasn't Rhodes the MLB at Arky . What a beast. Montgomery, I think Chuck Dicus was on that team also.
Nixon was at the game

we were drinking in the stands. why shouldn't they?
I was a DKE at LSU. I’ve drank plenty in the stands. But that was expected from us lol.
I don’t know much about the protectors of the cannon....those are Silver Spurs or am I thinking of something else?

I was at Texas for Darrel Royal's last year - 1976. We went -5-5-1
DateTimeOpponentRankSiteTVResultAttendance
September 116:30 p.m.Boston College*No. 7L 13–1430,476
September 187:30 p.m.North Texas State*No. 19W 17–1460,130
October 27:30 p.m.at RiceW 42–1557,000
October 93:00 p.m.vs. No. 3 Oklahoma*No. 16ABCT 6–670,032
October 237:30 p.m.SMUNo. 13
  • Memorial Stadium
  • Austin, TX
W 13–1250,000
October 302:30 p.m.at No. 6 Texas TechNo. 15L 28–3153,124
November 63:30 p.m.No. 19 HoustonNo. 20
  • Memorial Stadium
  • Austin, TX (rivalry)
L 0–3077,809
November 132:00 p.m.at TCUW 34–716,523
November 202:00 p.m.at BaylorL 10–2045,500
November 257:30 p.m.No. 11 Texas A&M
  • Memorial Stadium
  • Austin, TX (rivalry)
ABCL 3–2775,000
December 47:00 p.m.Arkansas
  • Memorial Stadium
  • Austin, TX (rivalry)
ABCW 29–1249,341

I was a DKE at LSU. I’ve drank plenty in the stands. But that was expected from us lol.
I don’t know much about the protectors of the cannon....those are Silver Spurs or am I thinking of something else?
Spurs take care of BEVO.

Texas Cowboys is oldest men's organization at Texas.

Recently I think had to let in women then got suspended b/c of something I refuse to look up. Sure its on the internet. I'm biased, but it was a great group of guys for many many decades.

Used to brand your chest with "UT." Lot of governors and Texas Cowboy alums had the brand.

If I remember right the Hogs lost in the Sugar Bowl that year to Ole Miss.
QB was some guy named Manning
How would I remember this?
We were at my aunts house and if you wanted to watch Arkansas, there was a tv in the bedroom. Everyone else was watching the Cotton in the big room.
Either that or they just wanted me to disappear. That probably makes more sense.

I was at Texas for Darrel Royal's last year - 1976. We went -5-5-1
DateTimeOpponentRankSiteTVResultAttendance
September 116:30 p.m.Boston College*No. 7L 13–1430,476
September 187:30 p.m.North Texas State*No. 19W 17–1460,130
October 27:30 p.m.at RiceW 42–1557,000
October 93:00 p.m.vs. No. 3 Oklahoma*No. 16ABCT 6–670,032
October 237:30 p.m.SMUNo. 13
  • Memorial Stadium
  • Austin, TX
W 13–1250,000
October 302:30 p.m.at No. 6 Texas TechNo. 15L 28–3153,124
November 63:30 p.m.No. 19 HoustonNo. 20
  • Memorial Stadium
  • Austin, TX (rivalry)
L 0–3077,809
November 132:00 p.m.at TCUW 34–716,523
November 202:00 p.m.at BaylorL 10–2045,500
November 257:30 p.m.No. 11 Texas A&M
  • Memorial Stadium
  • Austin, TX (rivalry)
ABCL 3–2775,000
December 47:00 p.m.Arkansas
  • Memorial Stadium
  • Austin, TX (rivalry)
ABCW 29–1249,341
And the Ags were coached by Emory Bellard, running the Wishbone. I hated that offense.
David Shipman was our QB, from Odessa Permian High School.

Spurs take care of BEVO.

Recently I think had to let in women then got suspended b/c of something I refuse to look up. Sure its on the internet. I'm biased, but it was a great group of guys for many many decades.

Used to brand your chest with "UT." Lot of governors and Texas Cowboy alums had the brand.
I had two buddies from LA. Both Silver Spurs...always thought that was pretty good for Louisiana boys, when I’d have to bet they take Texas boys 1st

I loved the SEC. One of the great conferences of all time. I moved to Texas for a couple of years after i got out of OU and the SEC was fantastic.

Great sportswriters covering the games and many of them reached the top of the profession. Great radio announcers. Kern Tips was one of the greatest I ever heard.

Legends everywhere. I though football was big in Oklahoma. It was nothing compared to football in Texas and the SWC was the center of it. Rice, a tiny academic school with a few thousand students had a stadium that dominated the campus, one so big they held a Super Bowl there. I think Rice still holds the the biggest stadium in ratio to students.

I never attended any business meeting or any kind of business or social function that people didn't talk football. Houston was in it by then and the first black players were starting to make waves at SMU and Houston and that just raised the stakes for everyone.

Spurs take care of BEVO.

When I moved to Dallas, I worked under one of those guys. He told us about the brand, but I don't remember seeing it when we went swimming at his house. I do remember he was serving Coors since it was like three days after Coors had been declared kosher, and he was immersing his beer in the 85-degree pool water on the theory that it would stay colder longer than if he held it out in the 98-degree air. I wasn't going to tell him he was wrong.

The best and one of the best in CFB history.

Also, arguably, had the ballsiest call in the history of the sport. At least in the top 5. National championship Game on the line. 4th and 3. Final minutes of the game. A team that runs 85% of the time out of the wishbone and elects not only to throw for the first down, but to try and execute a really difficult pattern. Perfect, perfect pass. And Royal had some rather large stones.

At 2:30 if you can see through the fog. Love me some Chris Schenkel.

I’m a recruiting follower too. I can’t even imagine those battles with all that money being thrown around. Crazy
The Manila envelopes that guys must have been showing up with on recruiting trips, absolutely filled to the brim with cash

The best and one of the best in CFB history.

Also, arguably, had the ballsiest call in the history of the sport. At least in the top 5. National championship Game on the line. 4th and 3. Final minutes of the game. A team that runs 85% of the time out of the wishbone and elects not only to throw for the first down, but to try and execute a really difficult pattern. Perfect, perfect pass. And Royal had some rather large stones.

At 2:30 if you can see through the fog. Love me some Chris Schenkel.
James Street told me directly that when he went to the sidelines and Royal told him the play call, he asked Royal "Are you sure?"

Randy Peschel was the ONLY potential target, there were no safety valves in pattern period.

It was 4th and 3 and Texas ran a straight wishbone running offense.

The defensive head coach, Mike Campbell, whose son later became Texas Head Coach, heard Royal give Street the play call and he yelled:

"Defense, get ready."

Then Street said he got back in huddle and did this:

"I got in the huddle and I told the players this; "I'm looking at you Jim (I think it was the half back Jim Bertelsen) because I want them to think the ball is coming to you, but I am talking to you Randy." He then gave them the play call "53 Veer Pass." He then told the O line "Keep these guys off me now." The play had not worked all year. The rest is history.

Here is a quick 3 minutes of SWC History with hall of of fame coaches Darrel Royal and Frank Broyles commenting & showing the scoring plays. James Street is also interviewed and was his usual funny self.

Texas was down 14-0 and came back to win the game. It was then known as "The Game of the Century"

People forget our kicker with the greatest name ever in sports who had to make the extra point.

Happy Feller​

College career​

Feller played college football for the Texas Longhorns. He beat out Rob Layne, who started in 1967, for the starting kicker job before the start of the 1968 season.[2] In 1968, Feller went 8-of-16 for field goals and 30-of-32 for extra point attempts.[3] He made a 53-yarder against Oklahoma, a school record.[2]

In the season-opener in 1969 against the California Golden Bears, Feller kicked a 32-yard field goal in the third quarter and went two-for-two for extra point attempts.[4] In week two against Texas Tech, he converted all seven extra points.[5] He went seven-for-seven for extra point attempts on October 4 against Navy.[6] In the Red River Shootout against Oklahoma on October 11, Feller kicked two field goals of 27 and 21 yards and converted all three extra point attempts as the Longhorns beat the Sooners 27–17.[7] He had a 24-yard field goal and converted all four extra point attempts against Rice on October 25.[8] Feller made a 32-yard field goal and converted all six extra point attempts against SMU on November 1.[9] Against Baylor on November 8, he made all five extra point attempts.[10] He went five-for-six on extra point attempts against TCU on November 15.[11] Against the Texas A&M Aggies on November 27, Feller made a 43-yard field goal and converted four-of-seven extra point attempts.[12] He converted on his only extra point attempt to give the Longhorns the win in the "Game of the Century" against Arkansas on December 6.[13] In the Cotton Bowl Classic against Notre Dame on January 1, Feller went three-for-three for extra point attempts.[14]

NFL career​

Feller was drafted in the fourth round of the 1971 NFL Draft by the Philadelphia Eagles. He was the first kicker selected in the draft. He played in 21 total games. He attempted 20 kicks in his rookie season, making just six. His longest field goal was from 50 yards out. It was his only season with the Eagles, as he spent the other two seasons with the Saints. In his second season, he went 6-for-11 in field goals, with his longest being from 46 yards. The 1973 season was his last professional season. He went 4-for-12 on field goals, with his longest being from 18 yards out.

1607030270124.png

Texas Longhorns, Forrest Weigand (52), and Randy Peschel signal Jim Bertelsen's two yard touch down score that led to the 15-14 win over Arkansas and the National Champioship in 1969. President Nixon attended the game and presented Coach darrell Royal and the Longhorns with the champioship award. (Houston Chronicle file photo)

The Manila envelopes that guys must have been showing up with on recruiting trips, absolutely filled to the brim with cash
I was in a local Mexican Food joint in Austin in 1978 that has been there 50 years. The 1977 season was over mind you.

In any case, Earl is in there eating dinner with two guys about age 50. He was at the next table from us. I had a date. I knew Earl because we were Texas Cowboys together and had said hello (my date was impressed).

They were wrapping up dinner and one of the guys looks at his watch and says:

"Damn Earl time has gotten away from me, we have to run I'm due at (fill in blank) at 8:00. I don't have time to wait on the bill, here you take care of it."

He threw down what looked like about $400.00 on the table and the two guys left and let Earl pay the bill, which had to be all of $30.00.

A nice read about Randy Peschel who caught "the pass" in 1969

Randy Peschel was once described by The Chattanooga Times as "unselfish and proficient at blocking," but legendary Texas Football head coach Darrell Royal saw another trait, often praising Peschel for his "sure hands."

Fittingly, Peschel made a name for himself in 1969 against Arkansas when he made an over-the-shoulder catch against tight coverage.

The Longhorns had only run that particular play a few times that season, and it hadn't been successful yet. So when quarterback James Street called the play, Peschel said he didn't have a lot of time to think what if "you don't catch it, what if you drop it, what if the play does not get off? You just had time to think about what you were supposed to do."

The reception made by Peschel advanced the ball to the Arkansas 13, setting up the Longhorns for an eventual comeback win against a vaunted rival.

"It was worth the risk. Obviously it turned out to be great," Peschel said.

Reviewing the series on film now, Peschel notices something else about the remainder of the scoring drive.

"I look like a chicken with his head cut off, running around trying to block somebody, and I never hit anybody. And I think it was partly because the catch I just made was beginning to sink in and (I) realized we were down here and about to go ahead and tie the score."

But it was unselfish perseverance that allowed Peschel to be in that celebratory setting. He was a starting wingback for Texas in 1967, but the wingback position was eliminated a year later when the Longhorns shifted to the "wishbone" formation.

Peschel moved to split end and then eventually to tight end because, "I am not the fastest of foot, and my speed is not very good."
Peschel explains that an injury to starting tight end Deryl Comer moved Peschel to the top of the depth chart in 1969 "by default."

Peschel not only became a prestigious player on the football field but also in the baseball diamond. Royal granted Peschel permission to play both sports; the only requirement was he had to attend football spring training his freshman year. "So that meant I only got to play five or six games of the freshman baseball schedule and then went to spring training," Peschel said. "In years after that there was never any conflict. I was just on the baseball team, and I played baseball."

Back