Give Kobe the damn MVP already

• Thread starter Thread starter abcs
  • Start date Start date
maybe it isnt fair but i think kobe should win atleast one title where he is the main man on the team before we start with the michael comparisons.

of course you said you didnt want this to turn into that kind of debate, For his on the court activities this year he looks like the best player in the league. Unfortunately ( or fortunately ) , his being an asshule ( or alledgedly invading someone elses ) might keep him from winning it.

As a voter it might fall into the "does oj or ray lewis deserve to be in the hall of fame ? " debate.

But make no mistake ..... if they held a draft to start each season with all current players eligible every single owner would pick kobe first.

MJ won all his championships with Pippen, one of the greatest players of all time. I never understand this argument. Kobe's image is fine.

And also, who is arguing that OJ and Ray shouldn't be in the HOF? I mean, OJ wasn't found guilty criminally (yes, even though we all know he did it) and Ray got a misdemeanor. Both guys are HOFs. I wanna see someone argue no.

I disagree that every GM would pick Kobe first. That just simply is incorrect, even with me being a Kobe fan. There are a lot of stupid GMs out there, also GMs that have different views on basketball.

I disagree that every GM would pick Kobe first. That just simply is incorrect, even with me being a Kobe fan. There are a lot of stupid GMs out there, also GMs that have different views on basketball.

whoops. I would say you are probably right . i should not have said every gm.

sorry for lakers backers getting moosed but Kobe is the MVP

nba_g_paulbryant_400.jpg

M - V - P !
win.gif

29 pts, 9-17 fg's (3-7 3's), 8-10 ft's, 10 reb, 8 ast, 2 stl

Completely agree it should be Kobe. Paul should definitely get 2nd place. No one from the minor leagues should receive any major consideration.

BOO! I do think its crazy that Kobe has never won it but at the end of it all (playoffs) it will be clear that Paul was the right choice.

great read.

<DL class=wide-photo style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 10px"><DT>
nba_g_kobeduran_580.jpg
<DD>Noah Graham/NBAE via Getty Images
If Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant look serious to you, that's probably because both of them know they're stuck in some seriously tight races for MVP and rookie of the year honors, respectively.
</DD></DL><!-- END WIDE PHOTO --><!-- MODULE 1 --><!-- start subheader -->1

Stein Line's Season-Ending Award Ballots

<!-- end subheader -->
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
(Archive)

It's the final Friday of the regular season ... and you know what that means.
One by one, we dribble through the season-ending award ballots that soon will be shipped back to the league office.
Ready?

Most Valuable Player

3118.jpg

Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
I thought the standings would help me decide. But they didn't.
I thought Chris Paul having the best season of any point guard in a conference teeming with Hall of Fame-bound quarterbacks and leading his team to the best record in the West after 79 games -- while possibly saving basketball in New Orleans -- would be clinchers.
They weren't.
I thought I'd be voting for Paul after stacking all that up, but this voter simply can't deny Kobe his maiden MVP because the Lakers might finish a game or two or even three behind the Cinderella Hornets in the nine-team race of the century. I keep looking at Bryant's season and looking at Paul's, and yes, I'm still giving the edge to Kobe.
For all of Paul's undeniable brilliance -- and for all of you who can't wait to angrily dismiss this as a lifetime achievement award for the guy considered the best player to never win an MVP award -- I'm sorry. But Bryant has had to deal with and do more this season than even CP3.
Bryant has seen more double- and triple-teams and junk defenses. He's endured a far lower grade of overall team health; Andrew Bynum will end up having played less than half the season, and Pau Gasol has missed 11 games just since his Feb. 1 arrival in Los Angeles. Kobe has played through a hand injury of his own that still requires surgery and is asked by his coach and teammates to be All-NBA at both ends, all while shouldering higher expectations than those of any other player in the league.
Kobe certainly could have made this a lot easier if the Lakers hadn't suffered those unforgivable home losses to the Bobcats and Grizzlies in late March, giving New Orleans its huge opening to shock the world and secure the West's No. 1 overall seed. But I'm rescinding my previous contention that the team with the better record would decide the Kobe-versus-Paul derby because the win-total difference won't be sufficiently drastic to separate these two. The variables mentioned above, to me, are bigger.
I know, I know. Now you're going to ask how I could vote for Steve Nash two years running and not vote for Paul now. That complaint, for starters, has never made sense to me. Every season, and thus every MVP race, should be judged on its own. The specifics of every season are different, and so is the MVP field every season. Just look at this field: It's suddenly down to a two-man sprint after it seemed for so long that we had four potential MVPs (LeBron James and his Cavaliers are sputtering to the finish, and Kevin Garnett's culture-changing effect in Boston is unfairly, but unavoidably, taken for granted because of all the wildness out West).
If you insist on persisting with the Nash comparison, don't forget that the little Canadian won his back-to-back MVPs for almost single-handedly turning a 29-win team into a 62-win team that posted the league's best record in a West that wasn't too shabby ... and then by keeping Phoenix at a 54-win level after it traded away Joe Johnson and lost Amare Stoudemire for most of the following season. Dragging Nash into this, in other words, doesn't really settle anything, because Paul season's doesn't precisely correspond to either blueprint. Dragging Nash into this actually supports Garnett's campaign more than Paul's.
Clear cut for Kobe? No one would dare say that. But I finally decided that Bryant has to be my MVP when he's playing the team ball of his life, for a club everyone fears in the playoffs far more than the Hornets, while he's also playing in a stratosphere that only LeBron can presently reach. At Stein Line HQ, all that adds up to No. 24.
STEIN'S BALLOT
1. Bryant
2. Paul
3. Garnett
4. James
5. Manu Ginobili, San Antonio
October prediction: Garnett

Back