Game 6 - Round 1 - NBA Playoffs discussion thread

I played the Pacers ML. Don't give a shit about the past. From what I've read, the Pacers are tired of hearing about the losing streak, and have something to prove. True contenders don't look past a game because they "know" they can win at home. That's what losing teams do. Indy is better at every damn position than ATL. I think they put their foot on the throat and romp the inconsistent Hawks.

In Game 5 Jason Kidd was held scoreless and had 0 assists in more than 21 minutes on the floor. He's just the 4th point guard with such a game in the playoffs in the last 20 seasons.

I think this is a direct result of the Knicks getting away from playing team ball. A lack of ball movement hurts Kidd's production because he really cannot do much to create his own shot anymore. That's obvious. He needs ball movement to take open threes. Thats his role on offense. The knicks can be deadly when they pass the ball, especially against a slower than average Celtics team. But they went back to their old ways with one on one ball and that is a big problem.

I dont think the pacers are true contenders though. They turn the ball over way too much for my liking.

Home Team Friday - I Like all 4 home teams.

Knicks/Celtics
--Jason Terry has gotten it going since OT in game 4 and that has been a big boost to Celtics offense. Let's not forget, Knicks haven't exactly lit up the scoreboard in this series. Melo has gone ice cold and JR Smith was of no help either in Game 5. Melo has won ONE first round in his career, he is not a great closer. All the pressure on Knicks, yet the game is in enemy territory. I trust the Celtics will find enough offense to win the game. Only chance Knicks have is to shoot well, and I just don't see it.

Hawks/Pacers
--You would think Pacers want to close it out in 6, but they have to be thinking they got Game 7 in hand because they have dominated in this series at home. ATL has been here before, they went 7 with Celtics not too long ago, with home team winning all 7. Expect full force effort from ATL early and for them to continue to ride their home win streak of the Pacers. Hawks win at home, Home team wins all 7 games.

Grizz/Clips
--Clips have looked like dog doo doo in last 4 games as Randolph and Marc Gasol have taken over inside. At home, Memphis will ride the home crowd for emotion and should cruise, especially with Clips all banged up. Memphis won the first two home games by 12 and 21, holding the Clips to 82-83 points. I don't see much changing. I think Grizz close it out rather easily, their defense at home in this series has been suffocating and if Blake doesn't play, I don't think the Star Angle applies here because the Clips have really only had scoring from CP3/Blake/Crawford. Grizz have been tested last couple years, going 7 with Clips last year (losing at home, so nice revenge to win big tonight at home) and also knocking off Spurs a couple years ago and going toe-to-toe with Thunder. Clips got 35 from CP3 last game and still couldn't win, I don't think they have much fight left tonight.

Rockets/Thunder
--First off, lets not forget that this series completely changed with Westbrook being knocked out, yet, they still continue to make the lines as if he's there (-8 in OKC and -2 for OKC in HOU). When Westbrook was playing and Lin was playing hurt, the Rockets were making runs against Thunder. Now, we have Westbrook out, hopefully Lin out (because he was weighing down the team) and a Thunder team that is not used to playing without RW. Yes, Durant can lead his team, but these teams were already even with RW, its shifted to Rox and they have shown it winning 2 in a row and now hosting Game 6 at home. Harden has a ton of motivation to beat his former team after they wouldn't pay him and the Rox have scored seemingly at will, while playing the better defense and forcing Durant to give up the rock. OKC just isn't used to this position, they don't have a key cog (RW), and its going to be hard for them to close out the Rockets. I like the home team here.

Of the 4 game 6's tonight how many do you think are going to 7? I'm sure the NBA/Team Stern will want at least two to go to game 7's.

I am thinking NY/BOS and OKC/HOU go to game 7's. Potentially LAC/MEM, but not completely sold on that series.

have ref's assignments for tonights games been posted yet?

[TABLE="class: data, width: 800"]
<tbody>[TR="class: datarow, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]
[TD]7:00 PM ET[/TD]
[TD]New York at Boston[/TD]
[TD]E. Malloy[/TD]
[TD]K. Mauer[/TD]
[TD]B. Salvatore[/TD]
[TD]Stats[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: datarow, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]
[TD]7:00 PM ET[/TD]
[TD]Indiana at Atlanta[/TD]
[TD]T. Brothers[/TD]
[TD]R. Garretson[/TD]
[TD]Z. Zarba[/TD]
[TD]Stats[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]9:30 PM ET[/TD]
[TD]Oklahoma City at Houston[/TD]
[TD]M. Callahan[/TD]
[TD]S. Corbin[/TD]
[TD]T. Washington[/TD]
[TD]Stats[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]9:30 PM ET[/TD]
[TD]L.A. Clippers at Memphis[/TD]
[TD]J. Crawford[/TD]
[TD]R. Mott[/TD]
[TD]D. Stafford[/TD]
[TD]Stats[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Of the 4 game 6's tonight the team i think that has the least belief that it can win the series is the Clippers.

If Griffin is out I think the Clips find a way to rally and get the win.

CP3 will need to be superhuman....

even with Griff, Paul is the guy who is looked upon to do it all...create, pass and score
with no Griff havin no one step up to help on road is asking ALOT

CP3 will need to be superhuman....

even with Griff, Paul is the guy who is looked upon to do it all...create, pass and score
with no Griff havin no one step up to help on road is asking ALOT

Definitely agree with you, but usually the first game a "star" is out a team finds a way to step up and fill the void. So, if Griffin is indeed out tonight I think the Clips scratch out a win and then I'll back Memphis in Game 7 in LA.

The last time a team trailing 0-3 won a Game 5 on the road and then won Game 6 was in 2003 (Blazers beat the Mavs then lost Game 7)...

Steve Novak will be inactive for the Knicks for the first time this series, due to back spasms. Earl Barron will take his spot on the active list. With Novak out, head coach Mike Woodson said he may turn back to rookie Chris Copeland off the bench to take some of Novak’s minutes.
Amar’e Stoudemire keeps inching closer to a return to the lineup, as he continues his recovery from knee surgery. The veteran power forward underwent a procedure to clean out debris in his right knee on March 11th. He’s stepped up his workouts in recent days, but Woodson does not expect him to return to action during this series. “I don’t think he’s at that stage yet, of playing a game,” Woodson said before Game 6.
The Celtics are just the 11th team in NBA history to force a Game 6 after trailing 3-0 in a series. Of those teams, six of them played Game 6 at home, like the Celtics will tonight. Three of them managed to force a Game 7.
Doc Rivers went with a short seven-man rotation for Game 5, playing just Jason Terry and newcomer Terrence Williams off the bench. Rivers was non-committal about whether he would go deeper into his bench for Game 6. ”I think our guys are good. … We may want to use one more guy,” Rivers said.
One of the biggest factors in the Celtics’ comeback in this series has been the stellar rebounding of Kevin Garnett. The 36-year-old veteran leads the NBA this postseason on the glass, averaging 14.4 rebounds per game. He’s also posted three consecutive games with 17+ rebounds.

Back