G-Man's Thurday College Play. South Carolina / Vanderbilt

G-Man

Pretty much a regular
Looks like a good game here in this semi-prime-time game with the NFL on national TV.

I watched the Gamecocks struggle against a NCST team that was completely out of sync and at a loss for 60 minutes. I know that Spur' switched QB's and that seemed to be the trick, but they wont be facing another bad opponent in Vanderbilt.

The 'Dores bring back a very good defense and a QB that will run all over the SC defense. They have a good enough group at home to win this game.

The fact that SC played against a QB that had 4 FOUR completions here is massively misleading. I would have to say that I have NEVER seen a team starting qb complete only 4 passes and have 2 int's??? Then they bring in backups and they go 1-8!!! That will be much different here in this game by Vandy.

This is a sucker line (-10) - and unless Vandy loses their QB in this game, the Gamecocks are in for a long night.

SC backup qb Chris Smelley was picked 2 times last year at home against Vandy so he's not going to intimidate the Vols in their own playground.

With Spurrier pulling Beecher because of 4 int's in their 34-0 win last week and naming Stinky (Smelley) as the starter for this one, I think that he will be pulled - and the QB shuffle will go into effect before the night is done.

Watch Chris Nicksen run and throw all night for Vandy...

Take "The Doors" With "Light My Fire" Nicksen - plus the 10!

Vandy +10 (4 units) W

GLTA

Last edited:
I have a few problems with your write up...

The 'Dores bring back a very good defense

The Dores bring back a good secondary, not a good defense. 5 of their front 7 started their first game last week. They lost their leading tackler and best defensive player (Goff) and they do return 5 of their top 7 tacklers BUT, 4 of them are from the secondary.

This is a sucker line (-10) - and unless Vandy loses their QB in this game, the Gamecocks are in for a long night.

How is this a sucker line? A sucker line to me is a line where you have 1000 people bet $1 on one side and 10 people bet $100 on the other side the line doesn't move with the 1000 people, it moves with the 10 people and that is not the case here.

SC backup qb Chris Smelley was picked 2 times last year at home against Vandy so he's not going to intimidate the Vols in their own playground.

If I was the Vandy secondary I would have confidence too but the amount of pressure Vandy got last yr will not be duplicated again. Smelley as a RS-Frosh made poor decisions near the goal line on his 2nd pick, something I hope he has learned by now.

With Spurrier pulling Beecher because of 4 int's in their 34-0 win last week and naming Stinky (Smelley) as the starter for this one, I think that he will be pulled - and the QB shuffle will go into effect before the night is done.

Well for one, The backup in this game is Garcia so I doubt Spurrier is in any kind of hurry to pull Smelley.

Watch Chris Nicksen run and throw all night for Vandy...

The same QB who was 9/16 for 91yds versus MOH is going to throw on one of the top secondaries in the SEC with no WR's to throw to? No. The 1 man show will not finish this game if he attempts to run 20x

Last edited:
I have a few problems with your write up...

GOOD...

The Dores bring back a good secondary, not a good defense. 5 of their front 7 started their first game last week. They lost their leading tackler and best defensive player (Goff) and they do return 5 of their top 7 tacklers BUT, 4 of them are from the secondary.

Ok ETG, Who had the better defense last year? SC or Vandy? What is so bad about returning the guys they have and playing at home in this game? Also if you dont think those good 4 DB"s arent going to be effective against that passing game then how many points are they going to score?

If SC scores even 1 TD less than last week, that drops the scoring from them to 27. If they have one less Fg they are now down to 24. If Vandy scores 14 or more they push or cover... If SC cant maintain a 17 point lead and gives up a late td they wont cover.

LAST YEAR: SC ran for lesss than 30 yards and their passing yardage was falsely inflated because they had to throw while trailing and Vandy gave them short passes to preserve a win.

How is this a sucker line? A sucker line to me is a line where you have 1000 people bet $1 on one side and 10 people bet $100 on the other side the line doesn't move with the 1000 people, it moves with the 10 people and that is not the case here.

Laying double digits with a team that is at home after losing to them in your own playground and the fact that they dont have an established QB, (as in Hawaii, Tennessee last week) as they flip-flopped them already. Beside the fact that SC was favored by 13.5 in SC last year!
Now you see a line that still double-digits on the road? Thats a sucker line. If this was a 6 or less then it wouldn't be. Based on the two offenses, SC will be pressed to score over 20-24 here.

Again... If SC scores even 1 TD less than last week, that drops the scoring from them to 27. If they have one less Fg they are now down to 24. If Vandy scores 14 or more they push or cover... If SC cant maintain a 17 point lead and gives up a late td they wont cover.

If I was the Vandy secondary I would have confidence too but the amount of pressure Vandy got last yr will not be duplicated again. Smelley as a RS-Frosh made poor decisions near the goal line on his 2nd pick, something I hope he has learned by now.

The key here is the DB's not so much the pass rush. They just have to contain Stinky. There is nothing small about any of the D-line from Vandy. But watch for the blind-sided blitz. They had 7 sacks ly also.

Well for one, The backup in this game is Garcia so I doubt Spurrier is in any kind of hurry to pull Smelley.

You never know. Garcia was rated by PS as a #10. And if Stinky gets hurt, it may be all over...

The same QB who was 9/16 for 91yds versus MOH is going to throw on one of the top secondaries in the SEC with no WR's to throw to? No. The 1 man show will not finish this game if he attempts to run 20x

If you dont think a QB (Stinky) who hasnt set the world on fire isnt going to have trouble in Dore-land, against those 4 db's, then thats a point you may just want to reconsider.

I wish I shared your confidence in Nickson

GL with this one, im on the other side, but will be rooting with ya.

I wish I shared your confidence in Nickson

GL with this one, im on the other side, but will be rooting with ya.

You have them at 8.5 and that could be the difference. But more importantly you have the UNDER at 41 and that gives the home team the edge here against the 10 points. Unless SC scores one more TD then they did lw against now-show NCST, then this one should fall in favor of Vandy at the 10 points

:shake:

You have them at 8.5 and that could be the difference. But more importantly you have the UNDER at 41 and that gives the home team the edge here against the 10 points. Unless SC scores one more TD then they did lw against now-show NCST, then this one should fall in favor of Vandy at the 10 points

Also, NCST gave them short fields all night and they only capitalized in the second half. The defense scored afew of those TD's

I like the play. I think goals are set too high for this Gamecocks crew. Spurrier depends on his QB, and he still has an inferior QB. SCar's defense is good, but that can only keep them in so many games.

GL Gman

Vandy man least experienced OL in college football. Both DTs depart, 2 lbers, they are inexperienced as all get out. THIS SHOULD BE AN EASY PLAY. But it's not. Here's why.

---USC blows out an injury battled NC State team that begins the year the way the finished last season, a 37-0 loss to Maryland.

That game told nothing about USC, except they can look pretty ugly. I mean they were outplayed the first half and really just wore out NC in the 2nd, that tells you nothing except NC State isn't conditioned moreso than SC got better, NC sucked 2nd half last year.

NOW, the question is how much did we learn about Vandy. Maybe these replacements are pretty damn talented? Miami OH overrated MAC team, although I will say their defense is one of best in that conference. I think Vandy OL not even close to being as bad as that exp factor would leave you to believe, esp with their style of blocking.

Defense I would believe a dropoff front seven. But that backend is so damn good its ridiculous. They can man up and put guys in the box and what not. If NC S can hold down that SC offense Vandy can.

I mean this is going to be a low scoring game and I don't know what is going to happen but I do not think you can lay faith in either unproven team.

I mean Vandy might be one of those Steele "surprisngly, despite losing blah blah blah improved."

If Cocks showed more vs. Pack I'm on SC, but they didn't.

Please note do not call university of South Carolina USC, now that is against the law.

Vandy man least experienced OL in college football. Both DTs depart, 2 lbers, they are inexperienced as all get out. THIS SHOULD BE AN EASY PLAY. But it's not. Here's why.

---USC blows out an injury battled NC State team that begins the year the way the finished last season, a 37-0 loss to Maryland.

That game told nothing about USC, except they can look pretty ugly. I mean they were outplayed the first half and really just wore out NC in the 2nd, that tells you nothing except NC State isn't conditioned moreso than SC got better, NC sucked 2nd half last year.

NOW, the question is how much did we learn about Vandy. Maybe these replacements are pretty damn talented? Miami OH overrated MAC team, although I will say their defense is one of best in that conference. I think Vandy OL not even close to being as bad as that exp factor would leave you to believe, esp with their style of blocking.

Defense I would believe a dropoff front seven. But that backend is so damn good its ridiculous. They can man up and put guys in the box and what not. If NC S can hold down that SC offense Vandy can.

I mean this is going to be a low scoring game and I don't know what is going to happen but I do not think you can lay faith in either unproven team.

I mean Vandy might be one of those Steele "surprisngly, despite losing blah blah blah improved."

If Cocks showed more vs. Pack I'm on SC, but they didn't.

I agree. With the QB position an issue, you just dont lay 10 on the road against a team thats beaten you last time in your own yard, unless there have been wholesale changes......

Vandy can still field a 22 point defense at home and thats why they look so good to me. SC has to prove they can shut them down first and score on the Dores...

G-man, im all over this game too with Vandy, GL tonight. I expect Vandy to run all over SC and the SC offense looking like garbage

Nice pick, great minds think alike. I was strongly considering ML, but I thought I was wasting my money. Guess not.

Back