G-Man's Three Thanksgiving Day Pro Plays and the College Play. SIDES & TOTALS

G-Man

Banned
Recap/ 6-2 for the day :shake: :cheers:

Last year went 2-2 on Pro Sides & totals. (Won the College side W.Virginia)

Over the years I have played these Pro games well. Lost one time (1-3) and had one 2-2 day(last year) and have had several sweeps in pros with sides & totals going 4 -0. Usually something happens with turnovers, and I go 3-1.

This year, there are 6 plays on the Pros for me to challenge - and all of them are playable. We have a division game, an inter-conference game and a conference game.

Many of the factors for these games are somewhat more difficult to get a good read on. Formula driven systems like I use, have to be good enough to warrant a play on a side or a total. Knowing what each teams schedules are like, means a lot. Especially how tough it is.

There are a few factors that matter here, that usually don't play into a regular Sunday game, for all these games on T-Day. Short week to prepare. Large disadvantage for the road team. And the effort in the game before this one. Not necessarily who won, but who played good enough to win.

Maimi -3 over Detroit & under 40., Detroit usually plays a great game at home on T-Day. They often play the role of underdog that wins SU. Miami has played several T-Day games and won SU as well and covered the spread.
This is an AFC-NFC match-up. These two teams have trouble scoring. But only one of these teams can play defense. It really matters in a short week, and also, the level of the opponent on offense.

Kitna can move the Lions some on offense, but he is very prone to sacks and int's.

The Dolphins are just getting used to QB Harrington, and he is lookng better each week with the team. Detroit has enough offense to win any game at any time. But, when they play good defensive teams they will always get beat. They scored 6 pts on Chicago and 7 on Seattle. At that time both teams were playing better defense, then they are playing in the middle of the season. After those two, they have played low scoring teams with bad defenses. The Phins have played at least 4 teams that are better than Detroit. Pittsburgh, New England, Chicago and KC. Collectively, they have been held to an average of 17 pts per game. The Lions are nowhere near any of these teams and will be in trouble all day.
The Play. Miami and Under 40.

Tampa Bay +11 over Dallas & over 38. The same factors apply to this game. Dallas though, has barely played well for any stretch in the last 2 years. They have a 2 game winning streak after beating the Colts and Arizona. The Colts have been lucky to win 9 in a row. On average, their 9 wins came by outscoring the opponents by only7 points! Sooner or later they were going to have some bad plays and wouldn’t be able to overcome it. That was last week, at Dallas.
The Cowboys are playing better since replacing Bledsoe, but they also haven’t played a good physical team since. The eleven points here are too much.

The Buc’s are able to run the ball and they are improving in the passing game as well. They do play good one week and poorly the next, but they have the capacity to slow down opponent’s offenses. On the road Tampa has held Atlanta to 14 pts, N. Orleans to 24, the Giants to 17 pts, and Carolina to 26pts in which Tampa scored 24. Combined that averaged 21 points on defense.. If they can keep Dallas under 30 they should cover the number.
The Play. Tampa Bay and Over38.

Denver Pk over Kansas City & Under 38. The Chiefs at home are always a good play. Larry Johnson is running like a mad man. Green is back and could get this team to the playoffs.

Plummer is one of the worst QB on the road. Denver usually struggles in division games. i.e. SD last week. Denver has a great balance of offense and defense. Lately though they were exposed by the Colts and Chargers. Two teams known for offense. Denver had a big lead in that game and ended falling asleep and turned it into a loss. Also, Bell was a last minute scratch and it cost them.

The Chiefs were totally out of sync with the Raiders - BUT the Raider s have a very, very underrated defense. If Denver comes to play, they will do much more then they did in the wacky game they played earlier against the Chiefs in a 9-6 win. KC still has a way to go to be considered an even team against Denver. They’ll probably end up a 1 to 2 point favorite if they get enough action on KC which I feel they will. With both teams coming off tight games, I see Denver being able to play better defensively here. KC is going to have trouble passing against Denver. That will mean they will try to run with Larry and keep the game close. Check status on TE Gonzales.
The Play. Denver & Under 38.

College Play. Miami Hurricanes +4 over Boston College &under 37. I must be nuts!
Not really. The Canes have played well at home. Although they lost, the ONE time they were a home dog this year, - they are much better then when on the road. BC on the other hand has played 4 road games, averaging only 21 pts per game. BC is 1-3 ats and 0-3 ats when the favorite. When laying points on the road you have to have an advantage somewhere. They don’t. Miami scores 24 and only gives up 10 per game. What is more important – Miami only allows 2.2 yds, per rush. BC had already won some big games and after winning last week against Maryland, the intensity needed to win on the road against a good home defense will be to much to expect from BC in this one. The Canes after a bad loss to Virginia, will like nothing better, then to beat a team with a winning record and finish the season at 6-6. Don’t be surprised to se a one sided win here for the Canes!

Miami, Fla. & Under 37.

Happy Thanksgiving To Everyone

Last edited:
Nice write-up G-Man! Good luck with the picks. It always makes Thanksgiving better when you win a few games.

Have loved the Hurricanes since I saw the line . Could be the best play on the board week .

In the NFL ...cant say that I am enough of a believer in Miami yet. Playing very good defense but statisically speaking Miamis road defense compared to DET home defense is pretty equal. The Phins won cause they got 2 defensive TDs in a half vs Minny. They have 4 wins and that came as 13 pt dogs...The only reason why I owuld look at DET is Marinelli is not alame duck coach who will allow his team to quit. They lost KJ in Arizona and looking back the Cards are not exactly easy to beat in Arizona only DAL has handled them. Do tend think we see a 20-17 game here o I like the under as well...I guess I feel DET defense at home is a little underrated and believe Maranelli was a defensive back coach in TB...

The Dallas game is tough line is pretty sharp imo ...the situation is real tough with I believe game @ NYG on deck after 3 straight road games and a home war with Indy...I am actually thinking for TB to cover it would have to be low scoring say 20-13 or 21-14..

As tough as it is to win in KC the Broncos should be favored . What has Kc done to distinguish home field this year? They lost to Cincy in the opener , beat up SF and defeated Seattle with Wallace / Morris tandem , upset SD but as 6 pt dogs and won on a 53 yd FG after SD pulled a 4th Q comeback and struggled versus Oakland but won.....Denver won @ NE and @ pitt so how does Plummer struggle? The Oakland game which you know is like a W for the Broncos..Denevr is stout vs the run away 3.3 YPC and Green probably wont have TG. That means Eddie Kennision is locked down by Champ and where is your passing game?? Now way KC goes from 10 pt dogs to -1 pt favs IMO...Green is worth 2 pts in the spread...

Good Luck G and Happy Turkey Day...were pretty split...agree some and disagree on others....

Nut-

Marinelli was a DLine coach back in Tampa. Don't think it makes a difference in the capping, Defensive coach is Defensive coach...

As for this thread, I somewhat like Denver, and somewhat like UMiami. I promised to never bet Miami again during the ingame the other day, though, and I'll stick with it. I hate BC-that hate will be enough to fuel me

the two D's on turkey day is always a tradition....that pays

think i'm on opposite on all the games except dallas which i pick at the current spread so that one is a no play....

good luck g-man...one of us will be happy come friday

SportsNut said:
Have loved the Hurricanes since I saw the line . Could be the best play on the board week .

In the NFL ...cant say that I am enough of a believer in Miami yet. Playing very good defense but statisically speaking Miamis road defense compared to DET home defense is pretty equal. The Phins won cause they got 2 defensive TDs in a half vs Minny. They have 4 wins and that came as 13 pt dogs...The only reason why I owuld look at DET is Marinelli is not alame duck coach who will allow his team to quit. They lost KJ in Arizona and looking back the Cards are not exactly easy to beat in Arizona only DAL has handled them. Do tend think we see a 20-17 game here o I like the under as well...I guess I feel DET defense at home is a little underrated and believe Maranelli was a defensive back coach in TB...

The Dallas game is tough line is pretty sharp imo ...the situation is real tough with I believe game @ NYG on deck after 3 straight road games and a home war with Indy...I am actually thinking for TB to cover it would have to be low scoring say 20-13 or 21-14..

As tough as it is to win in KC the Broncos should be favored . What has Kc done to distinguish home field this year? They lost to Cincy in the opener , beat up SF and defeated Seattle with Wallace / Morris tandem , upset SD but as 6 pt dogs and won on a 53 yd FG after SD pulled a 4th Q comeback and struggled versus Oakland but won.....Denver won @ NE and @ pitt so how does Plummer struggle? The Oakland game which you know is like a W for the Broncos..Denevr is stout vs the run away 3.3 YPC and Green probably wont have TG. That means Eddie Kennision is locked down by Champ and where is your passing game?? Now way KC goes from 10 pt dogs to -1 pt favs IMO...Green is worth 2 pts in the spread...

Good Luck G and Happy Turkey Day...were pretty split...agree some and disagree on others....

Lions will be pressured too much by Mia defense. Detroit home defense is fair but then again, we are looking at a 3 pt line in this one. Cant see anyway the Detroit pulls out a win. Harrington will feel comfortable back in a dome.

Yes, Dallas probably wont score too much here. I said that TB could cover if Dallas is held to less than 30. If its a TD less that makes it real good for a cover. TB will get 14 no matter what. Then if they are still in it late, they could get the last score that gets inside the number..

As far as KC. L Johnson isnt Tomlinson. And Denver wont be sleeping like they were with big leads on Indy and SD.

Thanks for the input:shake:

Now way KC goes from 10 pt dogs to -1 pt favs IMO...Green is worth 2 pts in the spread...

This is WAY off in the fact that this was Huard's first game starting after the Green injury...he got battered in the quarter and a half vs Cincy and they worked KC over in that period...

Nobody, and I mean nobody, saw Huard coming in and being the second rated passer in the NFL when he played...as for judging line discrepency, this is very jaded thinking...

w/ Huard's expectations at that time, Green was worth WAY more than 2 pts...I mean way more...

You might as well throw that line out in capping this game...it's useless..

joey won't feel comfotable in a dome..trust me lol...guy has no confidence in Detroit and admitted that he gets rattled by the fans bad.

also it is confirmed that KJ is out for this one as well.

GL gman.

JumpOnBoard said:
This is WAY off in the fact that this was Huard's first game starting after the Green injury...he got battered in the quarter and a half vs Cincy and they worked KC over in that period...

Nobody, and I mean nobody, saw Huard coming in and being the second rated passer in the NFL when he played...as for judging line discrepency, this is very jaded thinking...

w/ Huard's expectations at that time, Green was worth WAY more than 2 pts...I mean way more...

You might as well throw that line out in capping this game...it's useless..

In some ways I agree my point wasnt exactly clear. Yes it was Huard 1st start in forever and even though he played well in relief he was clearly an unknown at that point. I shouldnt have included the 2 pt comment in that sentence it didnt fit that was my opinion about the general difference bewteen the two not specifically at that time. What I should have said is regardless of QB the KC team was going to be a significant dog. Why ? Cause it was game 2 of the season KC had some OL transition and the team wasnt highly regarded . It closed as something like a PK or +1 at HOME vs Cincy which is translated into something close to 8 point dog in Cincy. Was Cincy any stronger then DEN to start the season because of Palmers injury I would think they were a shade weaker. Now DEN after last years run was given high praise. While they lost the opener they were something like -4.5 pts fav in STL...thats a ton of respect( I did fade Den that day though). Your talking 11 or 12 pt favs at home...

So point is now even if Trent Green is starting that day there is no way the line is below -7. How can I say that with certainity? Well Denv was only -3 last year in the 1st meeting vs KC and destroyed KC so naturally the were going to adjust the spread when it got to KC. Unfortunately they overadjusted. If one team is -3 at home then in a rematch generally the other team should be -3. I think we would agree. Factored with the soft line from the 1st meeting combined with how both teams were playing they made DEN a fav now thats a big adjustment...from what should be +3 to laying -1.5...game probably should have been a PK as it was a see saw battle...PK translates into -7 @ Denver. So if you had atthe start of 2006 about a -8 pt fav hosting KC and the adjustments from late last year... My opinion is KC catches 7.5 probably 8 if Green starts the Broncos losing in week 1 kept the line down IMO..

I can back date a couple ways and know that in Game 2 KC would be at least -7 probably -7.5 or -8. As DEN lost the opener it might have been -13 instead of -10.5 ...if they won

KC is actually playing with about 4 or 5 key injuries now that would force someone to shade even more towards Den...

I felt the line should have been DEN -2.5 here I guess looking at -2 is maybe more fair. I feel the line opened -3 somewhat strong. Books probably thought the DEN game wasnt a big of a negative as it actually was in the publics eye( as was KC struggling with OAK). The last move from -1 Den to -1 KC IMO is based on TG status becoming clear. Not a line move but adjustment...

There is so much going on in the game its crazy with injuries and Plummer to Cutler switch rumored...bottom line is I have Den -2 and they have been favored past coupleof years in KC so its not outlandish and its not based on the game this year...its included but not based...Its all theory though cause you reading in bewteen the lines as to what linesmakers were thinking. Who knows what we would have seen ig Green played. Huard basically played as well as Green did and thats why KC had such value cause they were shading the lines. So really if they are adjustingnow with Green back it takes away some of KCs value cause they might not play any better ...

use OAk as an example...Den on a neutral field is probably -8.5 vs Oakland. While Green just played versus them and yes 1st game back but he had alot of pratice reps lately. I felt that line should have been -7 still...which means KC is 3 to 4 points better say -3.5 ...that shows Den -5 on neutral field now give KC 3.5 for home field u still get -1.5 DEN in KC...

As for Harrington he did admit to being rattled in Det. While 3 points is short. Do I think DET can win w.o Kevin Jones? Absolutely Miami has 3 FG wins and lost @ Houston. There lone road win came at a time when no one expected it. Until they defeated Minny this weekend the public didnt believe in them. Oh oo now they do...Really Miami is doing what Minny did earlier...win games they didnt deserve to win but there D was playing so well. What happens when there D falters? There literally playing perfect football ....2 defensive TDs? We all DET is a bad road team for like 5 years now but at home....they handed SF a win plus lost FG games to SEA & Buff. Whats the difference bewteen Minny and DET at this point...a few weeks ago Minny was probably -2.5 stronger...if Miami played at Minny today I owuld guess Vikes are -3 maybe -2.5...DET was what +6 a few weeks back in Mnnywhen they outplayed the Vikes but lost due to 2 defensive TDs? game should read Miami PK @ Det IMO.....Miami is beating teams the teams are beating themselves 6 turnovers for Chi??
:shake:

Last edited:
paytheline said:
the two D's on turkey day is always a tradition....that pays

think i'm on opposite on all the games except dallas which i pick at the current spread so that one is a no play....

good luck g-man...one of us will be happy come friday

Best of health to you.

I hope Im happy TODAY!!! :shake:

nice day....

1-1 in my posted selections and i played dallas -6.5 1st half

so i'll throw alittle around too....though not as much as you....

Back