Friday MLB Discussion

I feel like I don't know shit about half the MLB starting pitchers. Just skip their games lol

I feel like I don't know shit about half the MLB starting pitchers. Just skip their games lol

I don't even feel like I know about Robbie Ray and he pitches for my team, don't think it matters tonight though

Little insight about AZ, whether it's the roof open or whatever...this time of year is ridiculously dry and the ball flies. That ballpark is very dark in the background which makes it a great hitting park anyway, but couple that with the (relatively) cool dry air it's lethal to pitchers early in the year. PHX is second highest city in elevation (1000 ft but still) to Denver in MLB as well. I really think the transition from all of these great outdoor ballparks in spring training to Chase Field is ridiculous for pitchers. Now this week, it was the perfect storm by scheduling Colorado and Cubs to start the season, two great offenses, and Dbacks offense will score a ton as well this year. Sit back, relax, and enjoy...and potentially after Grienke and Miller give it up the next couple nights and the panic button is pushed, they might end up with value as well. Still think Corbin is the best, only missed maybe 4-5 pitches the other day but 3 of them went out of the yard. Bullpen stinks.

Might play every over between Dbacks/Rockies/Cubs this season especially in Denver and Phx...Wrigley will hold and see.

KJ do you prefer Cubs TT over or Zona. Or both? I feel like I might get carried away with this

I've gotten carried away tbh and I have both bet for the same amount

I really think these will end up being the two best offenses in the NL (along with Rockies but I can adjust) and this is the perfect time of year for the explosion. Robbie is my big question mark as I think he'll be really a quality starter, but this is not the spot. If he does it, kudos to him and it will say a lot.

As a situational guy, my only real concern is Cubs learning of the quick demise of the season to Schwarber and how that plays out, kinda the "not again", "this is just so Cub" bullshit that we all know exists...but I can't find anything under that I like at all.

Both bullpens can give it up if we really need something late too

I actually am supposed to go to the game but rather watch it on tv so I can turn the channel and throw shit if it all goes wrong

Roof now closed tonight in Phoenix, doesn't matter to me but that's a big deal to many

Roof now closed tonight in Phoenix, doesn't matter to me but that's a big deal to many

Any idea why they decided to close it?

I agree it's not that big of a deal. Seems like when the roof is open there is a possibility for more runs, but just because it's closed doesn't mean there will be the propensity for less runs. Especially against the Cubs...and it's not like the D'Backs don't have guys who can mash as well, they score their fair share of runs. I feel like a lot of people assume that because the roof is closed the under is worth more of a look than the over.

Roof closed because of potential rain, hard to forecast here because that shit just pops up sometimes

When it's open, it's a much better hitting park than it already is. Schilling used to request the roof be closed for his starts and when they rejected him at times, he'd whine...but this time of year is a bigger difference than the air flow in my opinion. It's dry, and while that seems cliché, this is the time of year that's the worst. Dry, chilly breeze in the evening, just a thin air. Summer comes and roof closes, fine, but this park is made for hitters and until mid May or until it's just fucking hot, I think the dry air is perfect for hitting.

Stadium can be manipulated with roof and panels around the outfield...the controlled environment is what I think concern many but the two teams in town this week plus the home team are capable all over the lineup.

One of these guys will throw a gem and the talk will be about the roof being closed, and the panels are closed as well. I'm not a buyer on that.

Roof closed because of potential rain, hard to forecast here because that shit just pops up sometimes

When it's open, it's a much better hitting park than it already is. Schilling used to request the roof be closed for his starts and when they rejected him at times, he'd whine...but this time of year is a bigger difference than the air flow in my opinion. It's dry, and while that seems cliché, this is the time of year that's the worst. Dry, chilly breeze in the evening, just a thin air. Summer comes and roof closes, fine, but this park is made for hitters and until mid May or until it's just fucking hot, I think the dry air is perfect for hitting.

Stadium can be manipulated with roof and panels around the outfield...the controlled environment is what I think concern many but the two teams in town this week plus the home team are capable all over the lineup.

Ahh, possible rain...not something you expect often in AZ.

It's not that much better of a hitting park was really my point. It is better when the roof is open though. The data I just saw (which referenced Schilling and his request) shows that about 1/2 run per game is scored when the roof is open. There is also a little less than 1/2 a HR per game more when the roof is open.

Chase Field is 2nd in MLB stadiums in elevation, behind Colorado...so it's a hitter's park regardless, but a little bit better when roof is open for the reasons you mentioned.

One of these guys will throw a gem and the talk will be about the roof being closed, and the panels are closed as well. I'm not a buyer on that.

The panels being open or closed is interesting as well. Seems that they have an effect on the runs scored as well, but not as much as when the roof is open. It's a pretty interesting factor either way.

The background has always been mentioned by hitters as a factor. Not only is the straight away CF behind the pitcher a large dark green wall, but the general lighting in left and right are dark as well and it makes for "seeing the ball" a bit easy. Throw in the less than dense air/no humidity and slight elevation and you get what you get. Runs. And the two teams that have been here this week can accommodate that at any time.

The background has always been mentioned by hitters as a factor. Not only is the straight away CF behind the pitcher a large dark green wall, but the general lighting in left and right are dark as well and it makes for "seeing the ball" a bit easy. Throw in the less than dense air/no humidity and slight elevation and you get what you get. Runs. And the two teams that have been here this week can accommodate that at any time.

Yeah, and most players who have spoken about what makes Chase a great place to hit is the weather and the consistency of that weather. It's a good hitting ballpark, whether or not the roof is open or closed.

I think the point may be that the roof being open may influence someone to bet an over, but the roof being closed shouldn't necessarily be a reason to want to bet an under. If that makes sense.

Well the roof is closed most of the season, so that has to be taken into consideration. It's fairly dry here until end of June/early July, but when monsoon season hits, the air becomes very heavy/wet and I think that's more a factor, and monsoon season can last for a couple months at least. Open roof is great for air flow, and this time of year is about all we get, so it goes hand in hand with the COOL dry air...it's still in the 50s at night and cool dry air, the ball flies. Any golfer or weekend warrior softball player can tell you how much more the ball flies when it's cool and dry...the roof thing is a correlation with the time of year imo...when we actually can have the thing open.

Well the roof is closed most of the season, so that has to be taken into consideration.

Right, that's kinda my point. The roof being open may influence someone to bet an over, but having it closed shouldn't change much. The roof, as you said, is closed most of the season..and the park sees runs scored all year long.

Back