Friday 03/15/13 NBA discussion thread

Safe to say the Grizz knew what's up when they traded half their 'offense'. Team is built for playoff basketball...

I played Bulls 1Q and full game +5 and +5.5. Am looking to take GSW for 2H, however -- not really liking what I'm seeing now.

Got the limp effort from Mempiss I feared. 1 x 20+ pt period out of 4 at a no-defense venue. I'm not amongst those loving Utah.

They still held the 'best' home team in the NBA to under 92 points. Will give the Grizz a pass being on the front end of a B2B in the 'altitude' zone...

Why is the front end the tough part? Don't just make up reasons for their failure. Tomorrow is the tough part.

The grizz are not a good team when it comes to closing out games from what I have seen. Denver is just deeper and has more weapons.

Okay -- how can the Pacers be laying just 4.5 at Philly tomorrow?

Philly is playing better basketball last two games. A little bit better team chemistry and they are no longer in the funk. The pacers would be about -11 at home vs Philly. That sounds about right

From my pov, Mempiss saved their energy for Utah. Had they really cared to win tonight's game, you'd have seen 3 if not all 4 periods resembling the 2nd period (the only time Mempiss really poured energy into offensive execution, & naturally Denver worked to match it). If you don't execute on offense, you're dead in Denver. Denver's lost 3 home games this season: those opponents scored 98, 101 & 112 pt totals. You aren't beating them there pretty much unless you break 100 pts (or the Nuggs are in such a bad scheduling spot they've got little energy for the contest, which wasn't the case tonight). Defense-first game plans for games in Denver don't fly. Even good defensive teams know this. Mempiss knew this.

FTR...
8-5 SU - Utah's record @home vs Western teams with a realistic shot at making the playoffs
15-3 SU - Utah's record @home against all other teams.

Utah's home record overall looks quite good. But then you delve into it a bit more deeply (1 of those 8 wins was vs a-Dirkless-Dallas. Take away that result and they're merely 1 reversed result from simply being a .500 home team vs playoff-possible Western teams)...

Utah also had a bunch of injuries at different times so the team has not been able to get any chemistry going. I don't think they can beat Memphis though.

BC is on the money. Team felt it was better served to conserve resources for the Mormon State game tomorrow. Pretty obvious the intensity dropped off in the final 2 quarters.

Will be interesting to see how the Nuggs translate their play into the playoffs. Works in the regular, post-season not so much.

Back