Fondybadger's 10/10 to 10/13

You only get games like that every so often... I remember the last time I won something like that was a UNC basketball 2H line in Feb or so.

At some point today I'm going to put more money on Wake Forest... Just wish I could get the 6 and not 5.5 that's out there...

$80 Wake Forest 1H +3 -115

Wisconsin Articles

Polishing young gun mettle

Freshmen called on to lead the receivers

By JEFF POTRYKUS
jpotrykus@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Oct. 8, 2007

Madison - Bret Bielema knew in preseason camp that freshmen Kyle Jefferson and David Gilreath could bolster the University of Wisconsin wide receiver corps in 2007 and beyond.
UW's second-year head coach didn't know at the time the freshmen would be forced to lead that unit during the second half of this season.
Yet that is the task Jefferson and Gilreath face with senior wide receiver Luke Swan out for the rest of the season with a torn hamstring suffered in the loss to Illinois.
"Luke is a great kid," Bielema said Monday after confirming that Swan would require surgery. "It was a hard day yesterday.
"Any time you lose somebody for a season, but especially when they're a senior and they've done so many things, it is tough for everybody."
The loss of Swan, coupled with the loss of fellow senior Paul Hubbard in Week 2 at Nevada-Las Vegas, means UW (5-1, 2-1 Big Ten Conference) will have to depend heavily on the two freshmen Saturday at Penn State, which is 13th nationally in pass defense.
Swan, a fifth-year senior from Fennimore, was second on the team in catches ( 25 for 451 yards and two touchdowns) behind tight end Travis Beckum.
Jefferson, who turned 19 on June 3, has started three games. The 6-foot-4, 180-pounder has 10 catches for 191 yards and two touchdowns.
"I'm much more comfortable with the offense," Jefferson said. "Everything has slowed down and I've played a lot. I feel a lot more comfortable because I know the plays."
Gilreath, who turns 19 on Dec. 11, was used primarily on special teams in the first month of the season. The 5-foot-11, 160-pounder recorded his first catch last week against Illinois, for 10 yards.
Senior quarterback Tyler Donovan, who had developed a tremendous amount of trust with Swan and Hubbard through several seasons of working together in practice, knows he doesn't have the luxury of time with Jefferson and Gilreath.
"I've got to grow confidence in those guys for us to be successful as an offense," Donovan said. "We need those guys to step up now. They've got to keep growing and I think they are.
"Each game they've taken one more step forward. Kyle, in my eyes, has really stepped up to the plate. He is a playmaker."
Jefferson, a legitimate deep threat, has touchdown catches of 64 and 43 yards.
"He's got an identity right now within our offense," Donovan said. "Coach Chryst is finding wrinkles in our offense to get him the ball. That speaks volumes.
"He has been reliable. He has stepped up. Now he is going to have to step up even more."
Both Jefferson and Gilreath appear confident in their individual talents. Both are more mature than typical first-year players.
"David is mature," Jefferson said. "I am mature. If they didn't think we weren't ready to play we would have redshirted. We are ready and we're going to step up."
Jefferson understands that the chemistry Donovan enjoyed with Swan and Hubbard can't be replicated in just a few weeks.
"He has been here five years," Jefferson said. "I haven't been here four months. So there is a big difference."
Thus, it is essential that the lines of communication remain open between the freshmen and Donovan.
"He is an open-minded guy," Jefferson said, "and he wants us to communicate with him and tell him what we see."
Hubbard was expected to be sidelined for six to eight weeks because of his knee injury. According to Bielema, Hubbard is just starting to work on his lateral movement.
"Last week he was running straight ahead," Bielema said. "But the biggest thing he is going to have to overcome is lateral movement . . . the stuff he is going to need to do to have success.
"He did some stuff yesterday, not anywhere close to full-go yet, but with the hope that within two weeks from now there is a possibility of playing."
Hubbard, a fifth-year senior from Colorado Springs, Colo., who had 38 catches for 625 yards and five touchdowns last season, could still help UW this season.
Swan, who saw his season end when he landed awkwardly at the end of a 17-yard catch Saturday, cannot.
With Hubbard still out and Swan done for the season, Jefferson and Gilreath face a greater burden than anyone imagined two months ago.

Freshman preparing for long haul

By JEFF POTRYKUS

Posted: Oct. 10, 2007

Madison - Slowed by a strained groin, starting tailback P.J. Hill probably will limp into Beaver Stadium this weekend.
Sidelined for the third time this season because of a university suspension, the closest No. 2 tailback Lance Smith will get to the University of Wisconsin's key Big Ten Conference game Saturday at Penn State will be via a TV or radio.
With Hill nursing the groin injury (he returned to practice Wednesday after taking Tuesday off) and Smith out, freshman Zach Brown might see his most significant playing time of the season, in arguably the most important game to date for UW.
"I think I can handle any amount of work," Brown said after practice earlier this week. "I mean, I don't have a lot of wear and tear on me.
"I think I could take anything they throw at me."
After watching Brown's impressive performance last week at Illinois, spread out over a little more than 20 plays, the UW staff appears to share Brown's confidence.
"He did a good job preparing during the week," UW offensive coordinator Paul Chryst said. "Therefore, when he got his opportunity he was confident. And when you're confident you can play.
"And I think it showed in his play. He did some good things. He is confident and we're confident that when it is his turn you don't say: 'Oh shoot. It is Zach's turn. Let's do (something else).'
"You just call the play."
Brown carried just four times in the five-point loss to the Illini, but his per-carry average of 4.3 yards was above average.
The 5-foot-11, 198-pounder doesn't display the lateral elusiveness of Smith, but his burst is impressive and he hits the hole quickly and decisively.
He had two key runs on UW's third-quarter touchdown drive. First Brown gained 7 yards over right tackle to convert a second-and-6 play. Later, he ran off left tackle for 8 yards to the Illini 17.
Brown would have scored on the second run if cornerback Dere Hicks hadn't dived to trip him up.
"I was real close," Brown said. "I had to put my foot up just a little bit higher. I still think about that one. To tell you the truth I've watched that play over and over."
Perhaps more impressive than his confidence as a runner was his ability to handle his blocking assignments.
In the first half, Brown threw a perfect cut-block against a blitzing linebacker.
Then on the play after his near touchdown run, Brown cut down a defender to allow quarterback Tyler Donovan to gain 11 yards around right end to the Illinois 6. Hill scored from 1 yard out three plays later.
"And that is usually where (young) guys struggle," Chryst said of blocking. "That impressed me."
Running backs coach John Settle was impressed when he evaluated video of the game.
"I think on John Settle's grade sheet that was as high as he had ever graded a freshman," UW coach Bret Bielema said. "You know, it was a limited number of plays, but he just got a little bounce to him.
"And it's the thing that we saw in recruiting."
Brown, who did not play against Iowa and did not get a carry against Michigan State, acknowledged he was a bit overwhelmed when he first took the field against Illinois. Memorial Stadium was packed and both teams entered the game unbeaten in league play.
"But then you think about all the hard work you put in over the summer and that week (in practice) and you feel like you belong there," he said. "It went away quick."
Next up is a Penn State defense that is No. 8 nationally in rushing defense (80.5 ypg) and fifth in total defense (253.2 ypg).
"The biggest thing was that I had confidence out there in such a hostile environment," Brown said of his overall play at Illinois. "Being a freshman and not ever being in that situation . . . To play like that was great.
"This week will be another challenge. I've just got to step up again."

Will defense be more relaxed this week?

By Jeff Potrykus

Thursday, Oct 11 2007, 06:05 PM

Madison - Several times during the winning streak that reached 14 games before the loss at Illinois, Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema was asked if his players felt pressured to keep the streak alive.
Bielema's answer: No.
Linebacker DeAndre Levy believes that some member of the defensive unit were afraid, not to see the winning streak end but because of their struggles to stop teams this season.
"We all kind of knew playing how we were playing was going to eventually catch us," Levy said after practice earlier this week. "Fortunately we got it out of the way early,"
Levy sensed a more relaxed atmosphere this week during practice.
"But we're more focused," he added. "I think there was a lot of tension going into the games. We were playing so bad, everybody was kind of tentative, kind of scared.
"That loss just kind of hit us."
The five-point loss didn't sit well with defensive coordinator Mike Hankwitz.
"We're all frustrated," he said, adding he was pleased with the work ethic the players displayed in practice this week. "You don't work 90 hours weeks as coaches and feel good when we don't play well. And they don't work hard in practice and (meetings) to not play well.
"We've just got to work smarter, harder and do things better. That's the only way things will change. We know our problems and we're working our tails off in practice trying to address it."
Home away from home: Levy, a junior is eager to return to Beaver Stadium. Although UW suffered a 35-14 loss there in Levy's freshman season (2005), he became enamored of the energy and environment.
"Outside of Camp Randall, that is probably the best place I've been," he said. "We went there my freshman year and got embarrassed.
"But it was a great atmosphere. It was amazing. The fans were into it. Walking into the stadium was amazing."
Extra-points: According to Bielema, tight end Andy Crooks (hamstring), safety Kim Royston (ankle), linebacker Elijah Hodge (knee) and safety Jay Valai (concussion) practiced all week and should play against Penn State...
Tailback P.J. Hill, who suffered a groin injury late in the first half of the loss to Illinois, and should be close to 100% by kickoff Saturday. "(He) was limited Tuesday," Bielema said, "but Wednesday he was out there full-go and today."...
Fourteen players had to leave practice 15 minutes early Thursday because of exams. "That was kind of going on last week and this week," Bielema said. "They don't take the tests during the class period. They schedule them outside and that really throws a wrench in some of the preparation."

More predictions, Beckum & BTN

By Dave Heller

Friday, Oct 12 2007, 12:17 AM

Let's get right to it:
  • ESPN.com Insider Bruce Feldman likes Penn State to beat Wisconsin by a hefty margin, 23-10. "Even with a shaky Nittany Lions offense, I think Penn State will cruise behind a stout defense and a loud home crowd. I think there will be too much pressure on P.J. Hill to have a big day."
  • Rivals.com's Olin Buchanan says UW really needs to win as "Only once in the past 16 years has a team with two conference losses won a share of the Big Ten championship." Buchanan doesn't think the Badgers will get that victory, predicting a 23-21 Penn State win.
  • Make it three-for-three in predictions in tihs edition as the Scranton Times-Tribune is calling it Penn State 24, Wisconsin 20. "With [Luke] Swan out, the Wisconsin passing game takes a huge hit. There’s no reason Penn State’s offense can’t move the ball this week."
  • Another "award" for Travis Beckum, who makes SI.com's preseason All-America team as the second-team tight end. Missouri's Martin Rucker is the site's first-team selection.
  • David Jones of the Patriot-News says Wisconsin has a history of productive walk-ons, focusing his column on Ben Strickland.
  • Finally, one more word on the Big Ten Network. This article is from the Columbus weekly called The Other Paper, but it is about BTN and Time Warner. The story says that Time Warner indicates a deal with BTN is close, but the network says the opposite. As the story notes, "consider the PR interests of the respective companies."

QB passing muster

Penn State's Morelli rewards Paterno's patience

By JEFF POTRYKUS

Posted: Oct. 8, 2007

Madison - When fans clamored for a change at quarterback, Penn State coach Joe Paterno stood his ground and stuck with senior Anthony Morelli.
When the offense struggled in losses at Michigan and Illinois in the Nittany Lions' first two Big Ten Conference games, Paterno urged patience.
His support of Morelli and his patience with his team were rewarded last week.
Morelli enjoyed his best performance of the season (233 passing yards and one touchdown) against a quality defense, and the Nittany Lions manhandled visiting Iowa, 27-7.
The timing could not have been worse for the University of Wisconsin (5-1, 2-1 Big Ten Conference). Penn State (4-2, 1-2), which hosts UW at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, appears relieved and rejuvenated after winning for the first time since Sept. 15.
"Our problem has been that we've been beaten by two good football teams that played really well against us," Paterno said after the victory over Iowa, "And we didn't make any plays and we hurt ourselves in key situations that would have given us a chance to win one or two of the games we lost."
Paterno stuck with Morelli despite two difficult weeks.
Morelli lost a critical fumble at his 14 that led to a touchdown in the loss to Michigan.
He threw three interceptions and lost a fumble, all in Illinois territory, in the loss to the Illini.
Morelli's combined numbers in those losses - 36 for 69 (52.1%) for 467 yards with one touchdown, five turnovers and six sacks - were below average.
However, he maintained his poise against Iowa in helping the Nittany Lions build a 20-0 lead.
The difference Saturday for the Nittany Lions was that they ran the ball effectively against a stout Iowa front to take pressure off Morelli.
With Austin Scott suspended, Rodney Kinlaw (28 carries, 168 yards, two TDs) and Evan Royster (16 carries, 86 yards) combined for 256 rushing yards.
"They were running it down Iowa's throat, and the offensive line did a great job," Penn State linebacker Dan Connor said.
Nevertheless, the pivotal play was a 24-yard touchdown pass from Morelli to Derrick Williams with 68 seconds left in the first half as the Lions extended their lead to 10-0. The play capped an 80-yard drive and came after an offensive penalty and a dropped pass in the end zone.
Morelli, who can get flustered in such situations, did not this time.
"I told them to keep your head about you," Morelli said. "We're good enough to bounce back."
The Nittany Lions weren't good enough to beat Michigan or Illinois, despite the fact that their defense is again giving opponents fits.
Penn State enters the weekend with a winning hand - four of a kind. The Nittany Lions are No. 2 in the Big Ten in scoring defense, passing defense, rushing defense and total defense.
If the Penn State offense can provide another solid effort against a UW defense that, to be charitable, is struggling, the Badgers could in for a long day.
"We needed this," Connor said. "We need this to just get our confidence back.
"We had two tough ones on the road against two good teams, so this was a big one we knew we had to win it."

Big Ten notes: List of wounded grows

By MARK STEWART
mstewart@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Oct. 9, 2007

When it comes to injuries, there isn't much a coach can do about them. Either a team gets them or it doesn't.
Many football teams in the Big Ten appear to be at the wrong end of that cycle. And those who have been bitten by the injury bug know it plays no favorites.
At just the midpoint of the season, some of the league's top players have been sidelined for extended periods. Michigan quarterback Chad Henne missed 2½ games because of a knee injury. Northwestern running back Tyrell Sutton, the league's second-leading active rusher, has been out since the second game of the year. Iowa linebacker Mike Klinkenborg, the conference's second-leading tackler last season, has been out the past two games because of a concussion.
Closer to home, Wisconsin receiver Luke Swan tore his hamstring last week at Illinois, the same injury that sidelined Iowa receiver Andy Brodell last month.
"It does affect your team," Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said. "You'd be a fool not to acknowledge that. Our depth chart looks a lot different than it did at the start of camp."
Although injuries have cost the Badgers their starting receivers - senior Paul Hubbard is expected to miss two to four more weeks because of a knee injury - they can look at Iowa and feel fortunate.
The Hawkeyes' list of wounded includes the team's top two receivers, a starting safety and offensive lineman Dace Richardson, who is done for the year because of a knee injury.
With the addition of the 12-game schedule and the elimination of the off week for Big Ten teams, the injuries could continue to mount.
"It's a much longer season today," Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said. "We've got fewer players so you know that you're going to have some guys nicked, you're going to have some guys who are going to miss some games."
Solid start

This may not please Badgers fans but Tim Brewster appears to be off to a solid start as Minnesota's coach. The Gophers are just 1-5 overall and 0-3 in the Big Ten but in a short time the team's offense has been overhauled, switching from a power attack to the spread without much of a dropoff. In fact, the Gophers have been more productive in 2007 then they were '06, averaging 436.5 yards per game compared with 404.5 after six games last season. The 2006 team averaged about 10 more points per game at this point last season, a gap Minnesota should eventually narrow when it starts protecting the ball better.
Perhaps the biggest surprise, though, is the play of quarterback Adam Weber, a redshirt freshman who is on pace to match the numbers posted by senior Bryan Cupito last season. Cupito completed 59.6% of his passes for 2,819 yards and 28 touchdowns. Weber is on pace to complete 58.4% of his passes for 3,086 yards 26 touchdowns.
Mike Dunbar, the architect of the offense, was the coordinator at Northwestern two years ago when the Wildcats ranked fourth in the nation with an average of 500.3 yards per game.
"This offense is very quarterback-driven and Adam Weber is doing some really nice things," Brewster said. "We'd like to cut down on the turnovers he had but I think his growth and evolution as a quarterback has been really, really good to this point."
Game to remember

Northwestern quarterback C.J. Bacher's 520-yard performance against Michigan State last week was notable not only because it set a school record and is the fifth-highest total in Big Ten history but also it was a continuation of the improvement the NU attack showed against Michigan a week earlier. Coming off a 52-point loss to Ohio State in which it gained a season-low 120 yards, Northwestern has averaged 514 yards the last two weeks.
Against Michigan State, Bacher completed passes to 10 players. Six of his throws were for big plays - 20 yards or longer - including gains of 78, 70 and 52 yards in the second half.
Also, he was 11 for 13 for 203 yards and two touchdowns on third down. Ten times his passes resulted in first downs. One of the exceptions came on a 1-yard pass that resulted in a touchdown but no first down.
Extra points

Indiana's James Hardy scored a touchdown for the seventh straight game, a school record.
Ohio State's first six opponents have combined for 43 points. That is the lowest point total allowed by the Buckeyes through six games since 1975.
Wisconsin isn't the only team that struggled to make tackles last week. Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio said his team missed 32% of its tackles in a 48-41 loss to Northwestern. Nothing more than 10% is acceptable by his standards.
Iowa has lost eight straight conference games dating to last season, its longest skid since it lost 14 straight from 1998-2000.

Big Ten preview

By MARK STEWART

Posted: Oct. 11, 2007

ILLINOIS (5-1, 3-0 Big Ten) at IOWA (2-4, 0-3)

When: 11 a.m. Saturday (ESPN2)
Player to watch: Mike Humpal, Iowa - The senior linebacker, who ranks fourth in the league with 9.2 tackles per game, must set the tone for a depleted but proud defense that has shown signs of cracking the past two weeks.
Recent history: Iowa won, 24-7, last season in a game that was closer than the score indicates. It was the Hawkeyes' fourth straight victory in the series and sixth in the last eight meetings over the last decade.
Key statistic: Iowa's once stout defense has allowed more than average of 6 yards per play in its last two games and was especially gashed on the ground last week, giving up 256 yards and 5.1 yards per carry to Penn State.
Bottom line: Illinois may eventually find life on the road to be tough, but its running game is too strong for it to fall this week.
PURDUE (5-1, 1-1) at MICHIGAN (4-2, 2-0)

When: 11 a.m. Saturday (Big Ten Network).
Player to watch: Shawn Crable, Michigan - Purdue coach Joe Tiller pointed to the ability of Ohio State's linebackers to play the pass as the key to shutting down the his team's attack last week. That will be the challenge for Crable, who is having an outstanding season, and the rest of the Wolverines' linebackers.
Recent history: Michigan won, 16-14, in 2004, on the road for its fourth straight over the Boilermakers.
Key statistic: The Wolverines have allowed opponents an average of 267.5 yards per game during their four-game winning streak, however Northwestern (417 yards) gave it the most trouble. The Wildcats, like Purdue, run a variation of the spread.
Bottom line: For the second straight week, the Boilermakers will blow a gasket against a quality opponent.
MINNESOTA (1-5, 0-3) at NORTHWESTERN (3-3, 1-2)

When: 11 a.m. Saturday (BTN).
Player to watch: C.J. Bacher, Northwestern - In an encore to his 520-yard passing performance last week, the junior quarterback faces a defense that is the worst in the nation against the pass, allowing 345 yards through the air per game.
Recent history: Minnesota beat the Wildcats, 43-17, in Minneapolis in 2004, the teams' last meeting. The two have split the last eight meetings.
Key statistic: Defense anyone? Not this week. The teams have combined to allow an average of 67 points and 908 yards per game.
Bottom line: Get ready for a shootout and a Northwestern victory, though the Wildcats will need four quarters to do it.
KENT STATE (3-3) at OHIO STATE (6-0)

When: 11 a.m. Saturday (BTN)
Player to watch: Chris Wells, Ohio State - This is one time the Buckeyes might want to see their star tailback on the bench. He is still listed atop the depth chart despite suffering an ankle injury last week but could use some rest.
Recent history: Ohio State won, 51-17, in 2002, the only meeting between the teams.
Key statistic: The Buckeyes have dominated from the start. They've outscored their opponents, 82-7, in the first half of their last three games.
Bottom line: The Buckeyes should take control of this one early.
INDIANA (5-1, 2-1) at MICHIGAN STATE (4-2, 0-2)

When: 6 p.m. Saturday (BTN)
Player to watch: Kellen Lewis, Indiana - The sophomore quarterback had six touchdowns (five passing) against the Spartans last year.
Recent history: Indiana won, 46-21, last season in Bloomington, Ind., but Michigan State has won eight of the last 10 meetings.
Key statistic: Putting pressure on the passer has been important for both defenses. Indiana leads the nation with 29 sacks. Michigan State is tied for fourth with 24.
Bottom line: The Spartans have played well enough to win the past two weeks. Saturday they will finally get over the hump.

any questions on the Uconn game Nick?

I see UVA really under-estimating Uconn and their soft schedule.

Early Adds
$100 Michigan 1H -2.5 -115
$75 Rutgers 1H -10 -110
$150 Rutgers -17 -110$50 Ohio -4 -110
$50 Minnesota +7 -110
$100 Ohio State 1H -17 -110
$50 Ohio State -30.5 -110(addition)
$50 Miami -2.5 -110
$100 Iowa +5
$120 S. Florida 1H -6.5 -115
$200 S. Florida -11.5
$50 Alabama/Mississippi under 49
$100 Nebraska -4 -105
$60 Nebraska 1H ML -135
$60 Toledo 1H ML +135
$150 Toledo ML +180
$75 Tennessee 1H -4

Have all my 1H and game plays in through the 230 eastern games... just will be adding 2H's as they appear on the board. Any questions on games, let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

Wisky/PSU

Five things to watch

Posted: Oct. 12, 2007

PLUG THE HOLES: After talking about mistakes and corrections and pride, the time has come for UW's defense to make a stand. A defensive stand, if you'll excuse the pun. No more big plays. The Badgers have surrendered 28 plays of 20 yards or longer this season. That is four more than they gave up in 12 regular-season games in 2006. Penn State has 29 plays of 20 yards or longer, with 12 coming in the last two weeks. UW needs to get defenders in the right gaps, surround the ball with multiple tacklers and force the Nittany Lions to drive the length of the field. If not, UW will lose again.
PILFER THE PIGSKIN: UW has forced four turnovers in six games. Four! The biggest reason for that low number is that, too often, players have been out of position to make a tackle, much less go for the ball. However, the Badgers have also dropped four interceptions. Today is the day to turn that number around. Penn State has a minus-4 turnover margin, with 16 turnovers (10 fumbles, six interceptions). UW needs to gang-tackle the runners and knock the ball loose and/or get after quarterback Anthony Morelli, who is prone to making bad throws under pressure.
GIVE BROWN EARLY LOOK: With tailback P.J. Hill nursing a strained groin suffered last week at Illinois and the Badgers facing a fast, aggressive front seven, UW could use a burst of speed at tailback. Hill needs to get the bulk of the carries, but freshman Zach Brown proved against the Illini that he is ready for an expanded role. He can handle the pressure and his speed will be needed today. UW must run the ball effectively and ease the pressure on quarterback Tyler Donovan, who has shown a penchant for throwing the ball into coverage.
TOUCHDOWNS, NOT FIELD GOALS: When one unit struggles, as UW's defense has, the other units must compensate. For UW's offense, that means finding a way to score touchdowns instead of settling for field goals. Three missed opportunities at Illinois contributed to the five-point loss. This game could be just as close, so every point will count.
SCORE FIRST, CONTROL TEMPO: UW fell behind at Illinois and eventually decided to rely heavily on the pass. That is a formula for disaster against Penn State. UW needs to take the lead, control Penn State's running game and pressure Morelli. If the Badgers fall behind against a stout Penn State defense, in front of more than 100,000 fans, they don't have the firepower to play catch-up.
Jeff Potrykus

Offense trying to see more red

Better red-zone scoring would help take some pressure off the defense

By JEFF POTRYKUS

University Park, Pa. - The reasons behind the lackluster play of the University of Wisconsin's defense have been debated for weeks.
In the days since the five-point loss at Illinois, fans have bonded on the Internet to share their frustrations and offer their ideas of how the depth chart should be adjusted.
Yet when offensive coordinator Paul Chryst looks back at the loss, he understands that his unit shares as much responsibility as the defense, because it failed to maximize its scoring opportunities.
A repeat of that performance when No. 19 UW (5-1, 2-1 Big Ten Conference) faces Penn State (4-2, 1-2) at 2:30 p.m. today (Milwaukee time) likely would result in the first losing streak since Bret Bielema took over the program.
"You can't miss chances," Chryst said. "It's going to catch up to you. It did Saturday."
UW enters today No. 6 in the Big Ten in scoring (31.2 ppg) and No. 6 in red-zone offense with a success rate of 81.5% (22 scores in 27 trips inside the opponent's 20-yard line). Seventeen of those scores have been touchdowns.
The missed scoring chances against the Illini included two fourth-quarter interceptions by Tyler Donovan in a span of 3 minutes 3 seconds. Overall, UW had the ball inside the Illinois 35 six times, including five times inside the 25. Those six trips resulted in two touchdowns, both in the second half; two field goals; one missed field-goal attempt and one punt.
Given that Penn State is No. 6 nationally and No. 2 in the Big Ten in scoring defense, here is a look at how UW failed to maximize three scoring chances in the first half when the Illini built a 17-6 lead.
Trip No. 1: Trailing, 7-0, in the first quarter, UW drives to the Illinois 21.
On first and 10, P.J. Hill gains nothing as Gabe Carimi misses a block on linebacker Brit Miller. On second down, Donovan tries to hit Kyle Jefferson on the right side near the goal line, but the ball sails high, well out of play.
"It was a bad decision," Chryst said. "We could have read through it better."
On third and 10, Luke Swan comes open over the middle at the 10. The pass is incomplete because Donovan is hit as he throws by blitzing linebacker Martez Wilson.
"We miss-blocked the protection," Chryst said.
Taylor Mehlhaff misses a 38-yard field-goal attempt.
Trip No. 2: Trailing, 17-0 in the second quarter, UW drives to the Illinois 25.
On first down, Hill gains just 2 yards over the right side because he is tripped up trying to squeeze between the ineffective blocks of fullback Chris Pressley and right tackle Eric Vanden Heuvel.
On second and 8, Carimi is called for holding on end Doug Pilcher.
On second and 18 from the 33, Donovan hits tight end Garrett Graham for 12 yards to the 21, but absorbs a hard hit below the knees from Pilcher, who pushes Carimi into the backfield.
On third and 6 from the 21, Donovan drops back to pass. Hill sneaks out of the backfield past linebacker J Leman and is clearing the line of scrimmage. Feeling pressure from the right, Donovan floats a pass to where he thinks Hill will be and the ball falls to the turf.
If Donovan slides to his left and holds the ball for a second or two longer, he has an easy completion to Hill for a probable first down.
UW settles for a 38-yard field goal by Mehlhaff.
Trip No. 3: Trailing, 17-3, late in the first half, UW drives to a first and goal at the 7.
On first down, Donovan drops back to throw, but is forced to scramble and gains 1 yard.
On second down, Donovan doesn't see Graham open early near the goal line. He eventually comes back to him, but the pass is broken up.
On third down, Carimi is driven back by Pilcher and into Donovan, who doesn't feel the rush. Donovan tries to move to his right, but defensive tackle Josh Brent comes off the block of guard Kraig Urbik and sacks Donovan for a 3-yard loss.
UW settles for another field goal.
"They did a good job covering a few things up but as an offense we've still got to find a way to get it in there," Donovan said.
"You better take advantage of what you have," Chryst said. "It is a lesson you keep trying to hammer and hammer and hammer."

Final UW-Penn State predictions

By Dave Heller

Friday, Oct 12 2007, 07:13 PM

Entering this post, the UW-Penn State predictions were tied at 6 apiece.
Well, once you're done reading this it won't be tied anymore. In fact, the majority of the "experts" are going with the Nittany Lions.
USA Today's Erick Smith predicts Penn State 28, Wisconsin 17. "Two weeks into the season, this looked like the decisive game in the Big Ten. Now both the Badgers and the Nittany Lions are trying to avoid completely falling off the conference map and heading to Detroit or El Paso for the holidays."
SI.com's Stewart Mandel sees it a little closer, but calls it Penn State 23, Wisconsin 17. "It wasn't a happy week in Happy Valley. Another off-field fracas. Underage alcohol citations. JoePa's scaring unsuspecting drivers. Lost in all that was a big day for Penn State's oft-maligned offense against Iowa (489 yards). Here's guessing they keep it up against a struggling Badgers D."
Finally, Scout.com's Benjamin Worgull thinks it will even tighter, but still says Penn State will win, 27-24. "Unless Wisconsin can pull a rabbit out of its hat and somehow correct half the things wrong with this defense, Penn State pulls the ‘upset’ over Wisconsin."
So, final tally this week: Penn State to win - 9; Wisconsin to win - 6.

NCAA preview

By MARK STEWART

GAME OF THE WEEK

No. 11 Missouri (5-0, 1-0) at No. 6 Oklahoma (5-1, 1-1), 5:30 p.m. today: Missouri, which owns its highest ranking since 1981, is coming off a dominating victory over Nebraska that netted 606 total yards of offense and a 35-point victory. Oklahoma, which has a four-game winning streak against Missouri, knocked off Texas last week thanks to a 35-yard, fourth-quarter touchdown from Sam Bradford to Malcolm Kelly. This could be a preview of the Big 12 Championship game.
WHO'S HOT?

Beating the nation's No. 1 team meant a lot for Stanford quarterback Tavita Pritchard. He played last week only because a seizure sidelined the Cardinal's normal starter. This week, T.C. Ostrander is healthy but coach Jim Harbaugh is sticking with Pritchard, who led the team to a 24-23 victory over Southern California. "Three drives in the last three possessions for scores was very impressive and so was the way he handled himself around this ballclub," Harbaugh said. "I feel good about that decision."
WHO'S NOT

Instead of riding the wave of his team's 5-1 start, Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione is being thrown under the bus. This week, Aggies athletic director Bill Byrne released information about Franchione's VIP Connection, a secret newsletter the coach sent to big-time donors for the nominal fee of $1,200 per month. Among the details revealed were the names of subscribers as well as 160 pages of e-mails that provided subscribers with inside information about the program. Included were details about prospective recruits, an NCAA violation, and injury reports, which could aid gamblers.
IN THE SPOTLIGHT

It's baaack! The first Bowl Championship Series rankings of the season will be released Sunday and barring an upset this weekend, Louisiana State will be ranked No. 1 and either Ohio State or California will be No. 2. California is ranked No. 2 in both the USA Today and Harris Interactive polls, which account for two-thirds of the BCS formula, but Ohio State has the edge in most of the computer polls.
BY THE NUMBERS

2 Record streaks in the Pacific 10 that were snapped in USC's loss to Stanford last week: The Trojans' home winning streak ended at 35 and their conference winning streak was stopped at 24.
16-0 Combined record of South Florida, Cincinnati and Connecticut, teams that were picked to finish fourth, fifth and seventh, respectively, in the Big East preseason media poll.

Money Line Dogs
- hit Toledo already
$50 Iowa +180
$50 Minnesota +220
$50 Louisville +320
$50 Wisconsin +230
$50 UConn +130
$50 Indiana +160
$50 Missouri +400
- Probably Colorado

I feel a lot more comfortable today then a lot of people do... hope I'm not a fool...

$200 South Florida -10 -110 (doubled down on it)

ADDING NEXT ROUND OF GAMES
$100 South Carolina 1H -4
$200 South Carolina -7
$50 Army/CMU under 54
$50 Washington State 1H +10.5
$100 Wisky 1H +3.5 -105
$50 Notre Dame 1H +7 +100
$200 LSU -10
$75 LSU 1H -5.5
$100 Texas A&M +10
$150 Missouri 1H +7
$300 Missouri +13 pumped the line went to that
$50 USC 1H -12
$75 USC -21
$50 Western Michigan -4.5

$50 Colorado State -3
$80 Georgia -7 -105
$75 Louisville 1H +5.5
$75 California 1H -120
$150 Akron 1H -7
$200 Akron -12.5
$100 UAB -2
$100 ULL +10 -115
$50 N. Texas +7
$75 Arkansas -3
$75 Southern Miss 1H -4.5
$50 Memphis -3 -120
$50 Colorado ML +170
$50 UTEP -3
$100 BYU -11

Fondy, I want to bet some of the games you say, but was wondering if you bet every game you right or just type in things you like.

Fondy, I want to bet some of the games you say, but was wondering if you bet every game you right or just type in things you like.

If you mean "if you bet ever game you write or just type in things you like," I just type in things I like. I never play any of the games. I figured doing this is a fun activity to waste 12-18 hours a week. Better hobby than something like drinking or something, wouldn't you say?

If you mean "if you bet ever game you write or just type in things you like," I just type in things I like. I never play any of the games. I figured doing this is a fun activity to waste 12-18 hours a week. Better hobby than something like drinking or something, wouldn't you say?

LOL. Good luck on the 2H's man.

lmao...good luck fondy...havent checked how you are doing yet..hows it going so far today if you dont mind me asking

I'm done for today, burned out, and just going to let things ride out. Don't really love any of the late games anyways.

lmao...good luck fondy...havent checked how you are doing yet..hows it going so far today if you dont mind me asking

Was better before the 330 games started, but I'm like 21-13 up 1100 and change on the day... and for the pissed off mood I'm in, you'd think I was down a few grand. Just in a bad mood and wisky isn't doing much to help that out...

Back