Favre DONE - F'n Quitter

you beat me to it marlo....Isn't it ironic the morning after randy moss announces his signing with the patriots, favre retires the next morning...I think it is pretty funny.

Being from Chicago I have always had a general dislike for the Packers, but I have always admired Farve as a QB. One of the best ever imo.

you beat me to it marlo....Isn't it ironic the morning after randy moss announces his signing with the patriots, favre retires the next morning...I think it is pretty funny.

I live in Minnesota and most of my boys are Die Hard Packer fans. They are all on Suicide watch right now.

I heard in a few places that he wanted Moss bad, and they didnt pursue him. When I heard Moss signed I figured it was only time B4 Farve hung up the shoes.

Haven't been following this much in offseason...didn't he say during season that he was going to come back...they have a solid defense, nice young receivers and a good all around core.

Was the NFC championship loss just too much? I dunno...he had a great year and looked really "young" out there.

I already had 4 fucking phone calls this morning waking me up with the news. I'm cranky, pissed, and confused. Think he quit and left the Packers hanging. Sick of the emotional rollercoaster he puts Packer fans on and all I have to say if FUCK HIM.

Cant believe he actually hung it up. Especially going out like he did with the final pass of his career going out with a horrible INT in the championship game. This is a horrible horrible day to be a packer fan. Im pissed off and depressed

Listening to Scott Favre on our local ABC and he's saying that this news wasn't suppose to "leak" out. Fuck him too.

Cant believe he actually hung it up. Especially going out like he did with the final pass of his career going out with a horrible INT in the championship game. This is a horrible horrible day to be a packer fan. Im pissed off and depressed

We are currently taking applications in the Minnesota Vikings Fan Club.....

Things could be worse, you could actually take the application

I would never become a Vikings fan. I think I would rather become a Bears fan and thats not happening either. I can stick with the Packers who will still win the division this year even with A-Rod at QB. That defense is a top defense in the NFC. No Super Bowl chance now but still will make the playoffs

Im fine with Rogers as our QB for the next 5 or 10 years. I think he has shown great glimpses of being a good QB. That Dallas game last year proved a lot to me. Keeping us in that game and giving us a chance to win the game. I dont think a veteran is necessary at all

if i was a packers fan, id be elated

this guy has done nothing but cost you your season the last however many times they were in the playoffs with dumbass interceptions

the 9 pick game against St Louis? The duck he threw to Dawkins after 4th and 26? The one against the Giants last year?

Might be a good thing...

wow, completely devastated. didnt see this coming at all. when i woke up to see this on tv, i thought espn was doing some sick april fool's joke... only it isnt april. i can say i was impressed with rodgers in nthe preseason last year, and then again in the dallas game. perhaps the guy can play at this level. we shall see.

"I talked to Brett this morning and I told him 'nobody forced you to make this decision to retire, but the flip side is nobody encouraged you to play,'" Cook told Mortensen. "Two years ago, Ted [Thompson, the Packers' GM] encouraged him to play, but there was nothing this time around from them offering encouragement or him to come back

if i was a packers fan, id be elated

this guy has done nothing but cost you your season the last however many times they were in the playoffs with dumbass interceptions

the 9 pick game against St Louis? The duck he threw to Dawkins after 4th and 26? The one against the Giants last year?

Might be a good thing...

Sure he has made some of those dumb plays but he has made plays that no other QB could ever think of making. This is a horrible day. Even if he played this year he would still be a Top 5 QB in the league. this is nowhere near a good thing

That quote is priceless, it seems like these players get to a certain point in there careers and they just expect everyone to bow down to them, and beg them to do there jobs....Same happened with Clemens last year when he was debating whether or not he was going to come back. Its hilarious that they need this ego trip for people to want and need them, if they were such great "competitors" they should have enough motivation on there own to come back and fight the fight. Not to mention the millions and millions of dollars they get to play a game they "love"

Im not knocking Farve, I believe he will go down as one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game, watching what he did on the field was amazing....and quite comical at times (purely as a viking fan)

Im glad to finally see him hang up the shoes, and enjoy his time with his family. I honestly dont think he is completely done with the game, I can see him coach, or do radio/tv....etc

All in all the game has lost one its better players, and I think he gave the State of Wisconsin more than enough memories.

On that note, I really hope you guys go 8-8 this year...which might be just enough to win the Central Division.

Im fine with Rogers as our QB for the next 5 or 10 years. I think he has shown great glimpses of being a good QB. That Dallas game last year proved a lot to me. Keeping us in that game and giving us a chance to win the game. I dont think a veteran is necessary at all

How drunk are you this morning?

The roster is a bit thin at QB and Rogers hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy. GB needs to draft a QB in the first 2 rounds and bring in a veteran.

From ProFootballTalk, so take it with the proverbial grain of salt, but...

FAVRE SITUATION SUDDENLY GETS WEIRD

Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2008, 11:55 a.m.

As it turns out, that dark cloud in Wisconsin could quickly become a storm.​
Brett Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, has told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that Favre wanted to play another year, but that he felt like the Packers didn’t want him.​

Uh-oh.​

“I know he wants to play one more year,” Cook said. “I do not know much conversation there was and I don’t think anyone forced him to make that decision. But I don’t know that anyone tried to talk him out of it.”​

Uh-oh.​

“I think he wanted to play,” Cook said. ” I think he’s still got it. He knows he’s still got it. I think he felt he could play one more year. I don’t know if they told him they really wanted him to play. That’s just the feeling I got.”​

Uh-oh.​

Asked whether Favre could be talked into returning, Cook said, “I don’t know.”​

Well, maybe the media speculation that the guy who brought Favre to Green Bay, former G.M. Ron Wolf, might be whispering to Bill Parcells about trying to get Favre to Miami is more accurate than we initially thought.

Because if Favre wants to play another year and if it’s not with the Packers, then maybe it will be elsewhere.​

But if Favre doesn’t play for the Packers in 2008, either because he’s playing for someone else or not playing at all, we think that there could be an enormous backlash against the team. Specifically, G.M. Ted Thompson could find himself in the crosshairs of the fans’ criticism.​

Never mind the fact that Thompson has done an excellent job; the perception that he ran off Brett Favre could be the quickest ticket out of town for Thompson.​

If, in the end, Thompson gets saddled with the brunt of the blame for Favre’s departure, the pressure on Thompson to leave, too, will be tremendous. And, as a practical matter, it will put him on an incredibly short leash if the team falters in 2008.​

This article makes Brett sound like a whiny bitch. But then over the last few years he's sounded that way a lot.

Cook: Favre wanted to play one more year

By Tom Silverstein

Tuesday, Mar 4 2008, 09:02 AM

Quarterback Brett Favre told Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy Monday night that he was going to retire.
But his agent, James (Bus) Cook, told me a few minutes ago that he believes Favre wants to play another year and didn't get the sense that the Packers wanted him back all that badly.
"That's just my opinion," Cook said of the Packers' lack of interest. "I know he wants to play one more year. I do not know much conversation there was (between Favre and the Packers) and I don't think anyone forced him to make that decision. But I don't know that anyone tried to talk him out of it."
Cook said that Favre feels physically and mentally capable of playing at least one more year.
"I think he wanted to play," Cook said. " I think he's still got it. He knows he's still got it. I think he felt he could play one more year. I don't know if they told him they really wanted him to play. That's just the feeling I got."
Cook was asked whether he thought Favre could be talked into returning: "I don't know," he said.
McCarthy said recently that he and general manager Ted Thompson sat down during the bye week of the playoffs and evaluated tape of Favre to determine whether he could still play. McCarthy said that they came to the conclusion that he was still able to play the game at a high level.
During the off-season, there were reports that Thompson had not done much to encourage Favre to return and that Favre's feeling was that the Packers weren't fired up about bringing him back. After reports surfaced of Favre's uneasiness about Thompson's lack of communication, Thompson told reporters at the combine that he called Favre to talk about the future.

This is someone else's quote from the JSonline article that Signal posted... think it does a pretty good job of summing up my feelings...

"
This is not a good day. Most of all, I hate how this is going down. First, the talk of Favre holding the team hostage. I never minded it that much in the past because he always came back. Taking this long to make a decision and then not coming back is pretty messed up. Not that there was a great free agent available, but maybe there was a trade to be made. Now the Packers are scrambling -- assuming Rodgers isn't the answer.
Second, making the announcement the day after Moss is signed reeks of overreaction on his part. If they had signed Moss, sure, that would have been fantastic. But they really didn't need Moss. They have one of the deepest receiving corps in the game. By resting his future on Moss (even if he didn't, it sure looks like he did based on timing), it says that he doubts his own talent and needs a ridiculous amount of talent around him to cover up his weaknesses. It would seem he committed to needing Moss and once that fell through he lost hope.
Finally, the team didn't want him back? Seriously? If so, that's messed up. Say what you will about Favre, but the team was an OT away from the Super Bowl last year. First, I have a hard time believing they didn't want Favre back. Second, I think it's silly that Favre essentially wanted the Packers to talk him out of retirement. You're a big boy, buddy.
Anyway, tough day."

i dont understand how one can say favre's been a whiny bitch about his retirement. i mean this is obviously tough for us fans to take, but im sure its much harder on favre. he prob did want to play another year, especially after the year the team had last year. but if thompson didnt seem confident in having him back next year, and said the jobs up in the air between brett and aaron, then i (as favre) wouldnt be to thrilled about the situation. favre could've taken that to heart and probably figured maybe he was "taking the team hostage" like every media member has been saying the last 3 years. ( which i think is the dumbest fucking thing i've ever heard). i mean how the hell has he taken the team hostage? wasting a 1st round pick on a qb, who now people are saying they need to go out and get a veteran qb AND draft a qb within the first two rounds? i personally think rodgers could be good for x amount of years, and maybe they do need to pick up a veteran for a backup. but say for instance favre decided to retire 2 years ago when the team was horrible. you think it would've been good to throw aaron rodgers into the mix THEN? i think favre should be fucking commended for taking the bullet over the last few years with a shitbag for a team, and then when the team is finally doing the right things and turning it around, he decides to hand it over to rodgers who was dubbed to be his successor. i think we should be celebrating this guys accomplishments and what he brought to the organization these last 17 years when the packers have long been departed from their glory days. go pack

Why are Packers fans saying "fuck him" to Favre when he gave the Packers a hell of a ride the last decade or so? Two Superbowls, numerous passing records, a staple in the playoffs, ...

I understand being upset by his retirement, but I have to think this is frustration by GB fans rather than disgust with Favre... at least I hope so.

...they have a solid defense, nice young receivers and a good all around core.

Good points, but I wonder about a team that was calling pass:run plays at a rate of 2.5:1 last season. Can a first-year starter step in and carry on that offense? I know Grant emerged in the 2nd half of the season, but this is a concern for GB success, IMO.

Why are Packers fans saying "fuck him" to Favre when he gave the Packers a hell of a ride the last decade or so? Two Superbowls, numerous passing records, a staple in the playoffs, ...

I understand being upset by his retirement, but I have to think this is frustration by GB fans rather than disgust with Favre... at least I hope so.

Good points, but I wonder about a team that was calling pass:run plays at a rate of 2.5:1 last season. Can a first-year starter step in and carry on that offense? I know Grant emerged in the 2nd half of the season, but this is a concern for GB success, IMO.

Basically its just a bunch of moron fans being greedy. I cant see how you can be anything but thankful that he has stuck around this long.

Fondy how can you be against Favre in this thing. Calling him greedy for not grooming Rogers is a bunch of bullshit. Why is it his job to teach him how to do it.

And what has Rogers shown you to to prove that he cant be the guy in Green Bay. Besides the fact that he gets hurt frequently he has great accuracy and showed in the Dallas game he can lead a team down the field(and no I am not basing my opinion of him off that one half of football)

Smoke would you take Favre right now over McNabb? I would just seeing if people agree he can still be a top 5 QB in the league

Basically its just a bunch of moron fans being greedy. I cant see how you can be anything but thankful that he has stuck around this long.

Fondy how can you be against Favre in this thing. Calling him greedy for not grooming Rogers is a bunch of bullshit. Why is it his job to teach him how to do it.

And what has Rogers shown you to to prove that he cant be the guy in Green Bay. Besides the fact that he gets hurt frequently he has great accuracy and showed in the Dallas game he can lead a team down the field(and no I am not basing my opinion of him off that one half of football)

I'm 100% against Favre in how he's handled his retirement. He's kept Packer fans walking on eggshells the last few years. It's like having a girl friend and thinking she's always one little thing from walking away. How Favre has handled his retirement saga, his failure to help future Packers (I'm a Packer fan not a Favre fan), and his "me first" attitude really has me down on him. Some of these comments about why he's retiring now are just asinine as well.

I'm thankful we had Brett through the years, hell except for a brief memory of Don Majkowski, as a Packer fan I haven't had another QB in my life. I've supported him and gave him the benefit of the doubt, but all that good will he's built up through the years has really diminished and I'm looking at him as more of a Terrel Owens or Randy Moss "Me First" than anything else right now.

As for saying Rodgers isn't the answer (shrug) I don't know if he is. But I tell you I don't want to go into the start of the season with him as my sure fire #1 QB. If he struggles or gets injured, the team is good enough to still make hte playoffs if there is a veteran signal caller who won't screw things up. Getting a QB in GB should be a priority for the team, and I think there's going to be a few QB's in round 2 or 3 that will look really nice at some point in the future. Why not take a flier on a guy, when your only QB on the roster is Aaron Rodgers.

I don't know if Favre is a top 5 QB right now... Top 10, yes, top 5... eh...

its debatable no doubt but I think he still is with all the weapons he has now a top 5 QB. Not to make this into this kind of topic but Its really a toss up after the 2.

1.Brady
2.Manning

3.Roethlisberger
4.Favre
5.Palmer
6.McNabb
7.Romo
8.Eli

Smoke would you take Favre right now over McNabb? I would just seeing if people agree he can still be a top 5 QB in the league

Let me preface this by saying I like Green bay fans and I dont want to piss you guys off on what Im sure must be an emotional day, but I think Brett Favre is so overrated its not even funny....

I think this last year (28 TDs, 15 Ints, 95.7 QB rating) was much more of a fluke than the previous two years (18 Tds, 18 Ints, 72.7 QB rating and 20 TDs, 29 Ints, 70.9 QB rating)

Hes old, he forces too many balls and takes inexplicable chances with the football when there are other options to be had...

If you look at his stats, in the last 10 years, Id say he was only an elite level QB in 3 or maybe 4 of them...

The thing that would get me though if I was a Packers fan is how the seasons have ended when they did get to the playoffs. Id have a hard time not blaming him for them losing...

2001 vs St. Louis he throws 6 picks...

2002 vs Atlanta he barely puts up a fight vs a weak dome team in the vaunted frozen tundra in a night game if i remember correctly...

2003 at Philly he basically punts the ball to Dawkins in OT after the 4th and 26 letdown...

2004 vs Minnesota he throws another 4 picks as they lose another home playoff game on the frozen tundra to another dome team...

2007 vs the Giants he pretty much throws the ball right to Webster in OT after looking like he didnt want to be out there all game...

Its like he won that Super Bowl however many years ago and hes been an unquestioned football legend ever since. Why? Because he has fun when he plays? Because hes a nice guy? Because he smiles alot? Because he plays every game? Because every now and then he escapes a sack and flips a ball underhanded to his tight end for a five yard gain as hes falling down?

I just dont get it...but then maybe that my East Coast personality coming out...I mean if he killed the Eagles or Patriots or Giants seasons like that, hed be run outta town (well maybe not if he won a Super Bowl for the Eagles since Im pretty sure whoever does that will get a lifetime pass to do whatever the hell he wants afterwards!!)

Last edited:
Agreed with the above - its like he is a superhuman that can't be questioned. It always was a bit ridiculous if you ask me.

Now, I can't take away from his career stats/achievements, but he absolutely terrible decisions/plays that any other QB would be crucified for. However, when he did it, "it's just Brett trying to make something happen."

I can't count how many times I saw the play where he flips the ball to someone (I think it was Grant) as he is stumbling over. A nice play? Sure. But it was made out to be one of the greatest plays of the season and for some reason people make it out to be like he was the only QB that could possibly pull something like that off.

I'm glad he retired. Not because I dislike him, but because I wouldn't want to see him end his career due to an injury. As far as I'm concerned, this guy was a class act. One of the most humble celebrities and player ever to play this game. Always stayed down to earth but most importantly always stayed faithful to his team and fans. Not one game did he ever play without emotion for this team. Truly one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. Good for you Brett !!! Enjoy your retiremnet and your family bud. You only go around once. THANKS FOR THE MEMMORIES :cheers:

we may never see another athlete like him again.... class, skill and most of all heart of a lion

To be a starting qb in the nfl and never miss a start for almost 20 years is amazing.

Green Bay fans should be kissing his feet for his years of service not bad mouthing him

favre is one of the best qbs i've seen. really admire the guy. not yet past his prime imo but def not as good as he was during the packers championship run.

been the face of the packers team in the last few years so he will be missed.

If he still wants to play another year, but he doesnt feel like the Packers want him, I'm sure the Raiders will be most welcoming

Back