Fall Camp Injuries/Suspensions/Transfers

Transfers to USF D making an impact in camp:

TAMPA ― While he’s not about to draw any firm conclusions from his team’s initial scrimmage of preseason camp, Bulls coach Charlie Strong does seem to have one concrete takeaway.

His defensive transfers ― at least those who are eligible in 2019 ― are going to play. A lot.
Safety Devin Studstill (Notre Dame) and cornerback KJ Sails (North Carolina) each had an interception, while rush end Darius Slade (Arizona State) appeared to be in on a forced fumble during USF’s mostly closed scrimmage Saturday morning on campus.

“We’ve got a lot of (defensive) transfers making some big-time plays,” quarterback Blake Barnett said afterward.
Advertisement

Those three, and graduate-transfer linebacker Patrick Macon (Oklahoma State), appear to have established themselves as immediate-impact guys following a summer of conditioning and nine days of fall camp.

Sails, still awaiting word on the hardship-waiver he has filed with the NCAA, is the only one whose status for ’19 remains uncertain.

Duke CB Mark Gilbert still out indefinitely after second hip surgery. Promising WR Jake Bobo out indefinitely with fractured clavicle.

I learned something. I was not familiar with that story. That's the kind of tweet that says this guy will never be a winner anywhere.
oh bro, this kid is up there with the worst recruits of all time

ZERO chest

Did you see this:

After reports surfaced that Fields was interested in transferring to Ohio State, Martell tweeted (then deleted): “word of advice: don’t swing and miss… especially not your second time.”
this is Aggie Board Legend stuff cub

right up there with LSU guys rubbin on their 247 insider who thinks TAMU gets every recruit that walked planet Earth lol.....his name escapes me....Hank maybe or somethin

Not sure where to put this...a little Tulsa Defense love:

Bill Haisten: The next step for an already good TU defense – striving to become special

• 3 min to read

People who really know University of Tulsa football have said it for months: “This defense has a chance to be really good.”

This collection of Golden Hurricane defenders and their new coordinator, Joseph Gillespie, should strive to be better than “really good.”

A 3-9 record didn’t reflect it, but TU’s defense was “really good” last season.

The goal now should be to take a big next step and become special — like the 2012 Hurricane defense.

With personnel like linebacker Zaven Collins (who should develop into Tulsa’s best defender since Shawn Jackson in 2013) and end Trevis Gipson (who should get TU’s first double-digit sack total since 2012), this defense could be among the better units in program history.

“They’ve got the talent, and what we’re doing schematically fits our talent,” coach Philip Montgomery said during TU media day Thursday. “They’ve got great length. They can run. They’re physical.

“They’ve still got huge jumps to make, but in a year with so many of them coming back, yes, I think we have a chance to be special. The opportunity is there.”

Former TU coordinator Bill Young rolled into retirement after having presided over an unexpectedly tremendous 2018 season for the defense. After having allowed 529 yards per game in 2017, TU in 2018 allowed 408.

That 121-yard improvement ranked among the best such figures in all of college football. There was a 90-yard improvement in passing yards allowed. Tulsa was No. 8 nationally in pass defense.

A reasonable goal this year: To achieve a nice reduction in rushing yards allowed. To go from last year’s 233 per game to something along the lines of 180.

As nine starters and several key backups have returned, Montgomery justifiably expects his defense to be among the four best in the American Athletic Conference.

There are talented veterans at each of the three levels of the defense. Having evolved from a 205-pound recruit to a 260-pound force, Gipson totaled four sacks last season. He’ll get at least 10 this year.

“I think he’s fixing to have a great season,” Montgomery said. “We can’t block him.”

Gipson lines up next to tackle Shemarr Robinson, a former Central star who at TU has been on the field for 35 games.

At linebacker, there are Collins and the relentlessly reliable Cooper Edmiston. Check the Edmiston numbers: In 2017, 106 tackles. Last year, 113 tackles and seven takeaways (four interceptions and three fumble recoveries).

“It’s pretty phenomenal,” Montgomery said. “I’ll put his middle-linebacker stats against anybody’s.”

There are big cornerbacks like 6-foot-2 Akayleb Evans, 6-1 Reggie Robinson II and 6-3 Allie Green IV. There are seniors — Manny Bunch and Brandon Johnson — at each of the safety positions.

In 2020, Montgomery will preside over an extensive rebuilding of the Tulsa defense. Because seven of this year’s returning starters are seniors, it’s critically essential to capitalize now on their presence.

If TU avoids the type of injury plague that cursed the program in 2017, the 2019 defense will be among the league’s four best.
http://cappingthegame.com/forum/javascript:void(0)
It has to be.

No one can predict with any certainty whether the offense is a lot better, a little better or no better at all.

This is a safer prediction: Collins is destined to be an NFL draft pick. He would be Tulsa’s first drafted defensive player since Chris Chamberlain in 2008.

Collins certainly looks the part. He can outrun 99% of the other 6-4, 260-pound people on the planet. While he was a quarterback-safety superstar at Hominy High School, and while he’s still in the learning process as an outside linebacker, he looks like an NFL athlete who sneaked onto a college practice field.

“Zaven wasn’t a starter at the beginning of the (2018) season, but look at how he progressed after that,” Montgomery said. “Now, with a year of experience, what’s he going to look like?”

Collins and TU quarterbacks Zach Smith and Seth Boomer played golf on several occasions this summer. When Collins learned the value of keeping the ball in the fairway, instead of attempting to rock a 400-yard drive that would slice a mile to the right, his game improved dramatically.

It was a memorable day, he says, when he shot an 83 on LaFortune Park’s championship course and beat both QBs.

“Zach and Seth got me into golf,” Collins said. “They told me at the beginning of the summer that I would never beat them. When I beat them, I talked a lot of smack. I’d been practicing.

“Golf gets pushed to the side during the season, but I do enjoy it a lot. I’ll play for the rest of my life.”

Now, the pursuit of golf excellence is supplanted by the pursuit of all-conference distinction.

“Zaven has a lot of hype around him,” Montgomery said. “People are attracted to his personality, but he handles it all pretty well.”

When Collins was a Hominy quarterback, he would drive to Tulsa for sessions with longtime QB instructor Larry Miller.

“He gave me some great advice: ‘Don’t let the ink get in your eyes,’” Collins recalled. “Basically, don’t let what’s written in the newspaper — good or bad — control how you feel about yourself.”

TU’s competition in Conference USA (2005-13) doesn’t measure up to the competition provided within the AAC today, but the 2012 Hurricane defense was fantastic. The combination of that 53-sack defense and a 3,440-yard run game resulted in a league title, a bowl win over Iowa State and an 11-3 finish.

When the 2012 coaches and players reflect on that season, they should be at least a little miffed that they weren’t 14-0.

A mostly dismal passing game gets most of the blame for a 2-10 record in 2017 and last year’s 3-9 finish. In 2012, Tulsa won 11 times in spite of an average passing game. The defense was the program MVP that season.

This 2019 season has a chance to resemble 2012. If Tulsa is more efficient offensively, its defense gives it a chance to score a bowl trip.

If the defense is special, the season could be also.

Bill Haisten: The next step for an already good TU defense – striving to become special

Navy's Coach Ken "I've learned more about the passing game from this guy in 8 months than I have in 34 years" :O

I can definitely see how what they are trying to do can and should help them. Elsewhere teams have taken the zone read from just reading the DE or LB to decide whether to keep or give/pitch, but now teams are using the same thing, keying off other defenders to decide whether to run or throw. It is good for Navy to do this too, rather than just scripting a play-action pass as their primary pass attempts. The problem will come down to the accuracy of the guy throwing it.

Article exceeds 10000 characters to post here, link below:

Navy installing run-and-shoot passing schemes

Navy installing run-and-shoot passing schemes

Navy's Coach Ken "I've learned more about the passing game from this guy in 8 months than I have in 34 years" :O

I can definitely see how what they are trying to do can and should help them. Elsewhere teams have taken the zone read from just reading the DE or LB to decide whether to keep or give/pitch, but now teams are using the same thing, keying off other defenders to decide whether to run or throw. It is good for Navy to do this too, rather than just scripting a play-action pass as their primary pass attempts. The problem will come down to the accuracy of the guy throwing it.

Article exceeds 10000 characters to post here, link below:

i'll be surprised if perry can throw well enough for this to really work.

WKU RB Quinton Baker is kicked off the team, again. Phil Steele book says he "was their top playmaker in the spring". Reserve OL Preston Mixon is also gone.

They look fairly deep at WR, Arnold was a bigger part of the receiver group last year than he may've been this year, but sucks for him.

Arnold Undergoes Season-Ending Surgery

Charlotte 49ers sophomore wide receiver Rico Arnold (Athens, Ga. / Clarke Central) underwent season-ending foot surgery, this week.

Arnold, a 2018 Conference USA all-Freshman team selection, played in 11 games with two starts as a true freshman. He was the 49ers third-leading receiver with 22 catches and 302 receiving yards. He had his first career 100-yard receiving game vs. UAB (6 catches; 101 yards) and a 28-yard touchdown reception in the 49ers homecoming win over WKU.

He had four games with at least 40 receiving yards, including a 55-yard outing vs. Tennessee. He was second on the team with seven catches of 15 or more yards.

Some serious smoke coming out of Starkville about suspensions. Rumor is 8 players will be out for 10 games. Notables are defensive starters Willie Yag and Lee Autry.

Joshua Fields is back at UTEP after leaving for GaSouthern. He never practiced or played for GaSouthern, could be eligible for Miners in 2019. With Wadley out and a recent injury to Ronald Awatt, they need all the health at RB they can get.

Also Miners add, DB Ykili Ross grad transfer from USC, WR DeVaughn Cooper from Arizona and TE Jess Trussell from Purdue all whom will start or immediately contribute.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. --- North Carolina redshirt freshman quarterback Cade Fortin will enter the NCAA transfer portal, according to multiple sources. Fortin's decision comes after UNC head coach Mack Brown named true freshman Sam Howell the Tar Heels' first-team quarterback on Sunday.

Tried and failed to send you a PM.
Message keeps saying I need a recipient.
I have used B. A. R. just like that, with no spaces, with no periods.
Keep getting same message. — need recipient

You have me stumped again with your avatar . Please pm bull with your answer. Thanks.

Tried and failed to send you a PM.
Message keeps saying I need a recipient.
I have used B. A. R. just like that, with no spaces, with no periods.
Keep getting same message. — need recipient

You have me stumped again with your avatar . Please pm bull with your answer. Thanks.
I just saw this bud.

I know we have touched base since.

Wish someone could suspend this helmet. Somehow, some way, in some manner, we went to a color of orange already claimed by a team in the SEC.

No one knows why. But it's a travesty.

EC6UoT9WsAEozPF

Back