ESPN Handicappers' Scores Week 1

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
Bear had the best week of any of them, 2-0 on picks, 3-0 on bank picks (Texas St was on both lists). SVP was 4-1. Stanford Steve was 3-2, won his Best Bet. McElroy was 2-1. Phil Steele and Trocci were both one game below .500.

2daBank was not quite as hot as Week 1 last year, but was 5-2 and his Maryland bet was ML

The Bear—Week 1 (2-0) Season (2-0) Bank Picks (3-0) 2020 Season (25-21)
Iowa -3 Win
Texas State +13x Win
Bank Picks

Maryland +3 Win
UCLA +2x Win
Texas State +14 Win

Stanford Steve— Week 1 (3-2) Season (3-2)
Best Bet (1-0) 2020 Season (32-27),
Fresno St +20x Win
San Jose State +14 Lose
Kansas State -3 Win
Cal Bears -3 Lose
K St/Stanford Under Win Best Bet

Bill Trocci— Week 1 (1-2) Season (1-2)
2020 Season (42-31)
Louisiana +8x Lose
UCLA +3x Win
S Jose State +14 Lose

Phil Steele-- Week 1 (3-4) Season (3-4)
2020 Season (27-40)
UTEP -21 Lose
Cincinnati -22x Win
W Virginia -3 Lose
La Tech +23 Win
Troy -26x Win
William & Mary +33.5 Lose
Duke -6 Lose

Scott Van Pelt— Week 1 (4-1) Season (4-1)
2020 Season (42-39)
Fla State +7x Win
UTSA +5 Win
Louisiana +9 Lose
Penn State +5x Win
V Tech +5x Win

Joey and Jesse Virtual Locks
Joey Week 1 (-2) Season (0-2)
2020 Season (14-12)
OU -31x Lose
W Virg/Md over Lose
Matt Week 1 (0-2) Season (0-2)
No 2020 Season
Clemson Lose
Wisc/Penn St over Lose

Colin Cowherd Blazing Five— Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0)
2020 Season (35-37)

Greg McElroy Week 1 (2-1) Season (2-1)
Clemson -3 Lose
Ohio ST/Minn over 62x Win
Mich St +3 Win

My Picks— Week 1 (2-1) Season (2-1)
2020 Season (48-31)
Kansas St -2 Win
Iowa -3 Win
Clemson -2x Lose

Last edited:
Good to see ya back!!

per usual I kept falling asleep while listening to the stanford Steve and bear podcast last night, heard pieces of it. Lol.

I’m with Steve in San Jose st +14, love that one. Don’t agree with Cal so much as I’m leaning Nevada.

have a great season bro!!

I like Fresno also but not as high on them as I am sjst. I do think these teams who played week 0 def have a advantage, then ya see ducks have that huge game with buckeyes on deck and ya can def see Fresno hanging around.

Gotta lean k-st if Steve is fading stanford. I didn’t know he was on them, I heard him on some show the other day and he was talking more about the under than k-st side.

Good to hear from you, 2daBank. I won a ton of money last year when you showed me how much money could be won on betting Bama first half. Hope you have more good advice this year!

I checked Steve's picks again and he picked K State AND the under, so I added that to his picks

i cant really take credit for the bama 1st halves, other guys around here put me on to that!!! once again making this site the best around!! so many guys with intelligent opinions!!

i like Hunt's idea of playing the canes team total under in this one. i have no clue what we gonna see out of bama offense this season as they break in a new qb and have so many weapons to replace on the offense,, obviously bama just reloads but man they lost a lot to the draft in a season where so many teams bringing everyone back!!!! By all accounts i have heard from ppl i respect Bama defense is gonna be nasty, feels like this team might be more similar to vintage Saban teams who hang their hat on defense instead of simply outscoring everyone!! We know that what saban prefers so the 50-30 type games might be a thing of the past..

i actually think bama 2nd half might give us a better opportunity in this one far as spread goes. they have monsters all across the oline and canes are pretty light on the defensive line, think i heard they only average around 250 lbs up front!! gotta think bama will bludgeon them to the point they have no ability to stop the run game in the second half!!!

Rutgers game moved to Saturday because of the remnants of Ida. Time is not set yet. I hope they keep it a night game and not an 11am kickoff

Good to hear from you, 2daBank. I won a ton of money last year when you showed me how much money could be won on betting Bama first half. Hope you have more good advice this year!

I checked Steve's picks again and he picked K State AND the under, so I added that to his picks

apparently in recent years k-st coaching staff had been to stanford to get tips on how they run their offense.. that should obviously give them a pretty big edge when it comes to slowing them down... also heard steve mention that it was a really bad sign the highly touted qb they have couldnt win the job this camp..

apparently in recent years k-st coaching staff had been to stanford to get tips on how they run their offense.. that should obviously give them a pretty big edge when it comes to slowing them down... also heard steve mention that it was a really bad sign the highly touted qb they have couldnt win the job this camp..
Yeah Tanner McGee I think his name is? That would concern too, but maybe West is a little better than we think it just grasps the offense better? I believe Stanford could end up surprising in a few games this year, this game however appears like a tough spot for them to open. The 9am body clock kick. Not a great feel for the QB position. A few other roster issues don't help (best WR out as are 2 DBs who could've or would've started). I think they would beat K St later in the year but maybe not week 1. Sounds like there are new players on their roster who fans will know come season end, just having them all show up week 1 to impact the game isn't as likely.

Best Bets of the Weekend from various pickers.

Not adding them to the main picker’s list because all of them have proved to me they cannot win money over the long term. Some of their poor records can be attributed to having to post picks every day whether they really like them or not, but they say these are their absolute best. We'll see

Joe Fortenbaugh
Rutgers -14
Ohio St/Minn U 63.5 Lose
Kansas State -3
UCLA +3
Florida State +7.5

Doug Kezirian
Jacksonville St Lose
ECU +10.5 Lose
UMass +38
Syracuse -1.5
Ole Miss -10

David M. Hale
Duke -6.5
Penn State +5.5
UMass +38 (Hale’s the only guy on the planet dumb enough to take UConn last week)
Louisville +10

Bill Connelly
W Mich/Mich U 67 points
Maryland +3
USC -14
Baylor -13.5
SDSU -31

Tyler Fulghum
Western Michigan +17.0
Indiana/Iowa U 45

Last edited:
Added Greg McElroy this year since he's going to make three picks weekly on Daily Wager. If I come across any others I'll add them.

Anyone on the board who has access to proven public handicappers feel free to add them to the thread

The Bear—Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (25-21) Bank Picks (20-20)
Iowa -3
Texas State +13x

Stanford Steve— Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (32-27), Best Bet (8-5)
Fresno St +20x
San Jose State +14
Kansas State -3
Cal Bears -3
K St/Stanford U 53

Bill Trocci— Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (42-31)

Phil Steele-- Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (27-40)

Scott Van Pelt— Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (42-39)

Joey Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0)
2020 Season (14-12)

Jesse Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (14-11)

Colin Cowherd Blazing Five— Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (35-37)

Greg McElroy Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (0-0)
Clemson -3
Ohio ST/Minn over 62x
Mich St +3

My Picks— Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (48-31)
Kansas St -2
Iowa -3
Going to bet Clemson, but waiting on line moves. I think most money coming in on Georgia, and I see -2x a lot of places, but so far it’s not at any of the places I can bet it. Strong lean to Rutgers, but waiting on weather updates. Like a few more, I'll list when I have time, but only bet two so far
ESPN's Doug Kerizian

UMass +38
Syracuse -1
Mississippi -10

Doug kerizian that dude from that espn gambling show correct? I’d bet my left nut you could make money fading that guy :)

Doug kerizian that dude from that espn gambling show correct? I’d bet my left nut you could make money fading that guy :)
He must have had some good years at some point, and he does a good job as host of Daily Wager, but in the times I've watched him you are correct. You would win money going against his picks. He's off to an 0-2 start this week and of the four FBS teams he bet this week all were losers ATS last year and won 0, 1, 3, and 5 games last year SU, and his FCS team was going on the road against a good FBS team that is an in-state rival. Very strange handicapping strategy

Last edited:
He must have had some good years at some point, but in the times I've watched him you are correct. You would win money going against his picks. He's off to an 0-2 start this week

I don’t watch that show very often but the times I have he seems pretty terrible! I guess good for these dudes who have managed to get tv shows talking this stuff but sure seems like most are pretty crappy cappers! Lol.

I saw SVP picks on sports center last night, trying to remember what they were? I know he has Vtech, utsa, ull, pen st, there was one more but can’t remember what it was. I rarely agree with SVP and his total contrarian approach but he is entertaining!

Seems like all the tv “sharps” are all over utsa vs illinios. I get it, the line stinks to high heaven, Illinios coming off the upset win over corn and laying less than a td to a team most ppl know nothing about. I just dunno if I’m ready to fade the good ju ju Bielema seems to have going. Utsa has a pretty good rushing attack but I’m not sure they can win on the ground against a big10 defense. Certainly not looking to back illinios, just dunno im wanting to fade this week.

I'm tempted by Colorado State -2. I know S Dakota St reached the FCS finals last year, but Addazio has a good team this year, especially on D and it's a home game for the Rams.

Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

Added Greg McElroy this year since he's going to make three picks weekly on Daily Wager. If I come across any others I'll add them.

Anyone on the board who has access to proven public handicappers feel free to add them to the thread

The Bear—Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (25-21) Bank Picks (20-20)
Iowa -3
Texas State +13x

Stanford Steve— Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (32-27), Best Bet (8-5)
Fresno St +20x
San Jose State +14
Kansas State -3
Cal Bears -3
K St/Stanford U 53

Bill Trocci— Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (42-31)

Phil Steele-- Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (27-40)

Scott Van Pelt— Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (42-39)

Joey Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0)
2020 Season (14-12)

Jesse Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (14-11)

Colin Cowherd Blazing Five— Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (35-37)

Greg McElroy Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (0-0)
Clemson -3
Ohio ST/Minn over 62x Win
Mich St +3

My Picks— Week 1 (0-0) Season (0-0) 2020 Season (48-31)
Kansas St -2
Iowa -3
Going to bet Clemson, but waiting on line moves. I think most money coming in on Georgia, and I see -2x a lot of places, but so far it’s not at any of the places I can bet it. Strong lean to Rutgers, but waiting on weather updates. Like a few more, I'll list when I have time, but only bet two so far
Thank you

I'm tempted by Colorado State -2. I know S Dakota St reached the FCS finals last year, but Addazio has a good team this year, especially on D and it's a home game for the Rams.

Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

i dont know enough about the fcs schools to say,, i do think Addazio has csu heading in the right direction so you would think they can beat a fcs squad.. along with their d i expect his oline to be much improved as i think that a strength of his so he should get the run game working,, no idea what they gonna get far as qb play tho? i know the kid starting only completed like 38% his passes last year but think he only played one or 2 games? he did complete 68% at temple in limited action so surely he better than last year showing.. really just comes down to me not knowing enough bout fcs schools for it to have made my card.

what does south dakota st look like on offense? rushing team/passing team, more pro style or hurry up? next thing is how do they do against the run? if csu can have success on the ground think they have a pretty good shot,, if south dakota can force them to be a passing team im not so sure?

i just realized that game tonight so i would love to come up with a play on it as all i got so far is my super square play on unc!!! that game scares the shit out of me but im a big buyer into mac browns squad this year,, they are replacing all the skill positions other than te and qb tho and doing so in a incredibly hostile environment so that a concern, along with the high ranking and all the hype, i hate being on the hype train but i cant help it here,, howell is a stud, they returning entire oline which i think more important than the skill spots,, i think the defense is gonna be much better this year as they have some studs at every level. i think heels are for real but this a big test considering the location and stand alone prime time. i dont think Vtech themselves are really close to heels level, it just a matter of unc coming in and not being overwhelmed by the crowd and the expectations..

i was surprised to see SVP on laffy taffy (ull),, initially i liked them also but i dont love they ranked and seem to be a pretty trendy pick which not really his style.. i liked them better last year vs isu when they were still relatively unknown!!

pretty sure ill be joining you on k-st, even tho looks like i might have to lay -3 by time i bet it.. does rutgers moving to saturday change anything for you? im beginning to think they gonna wax temple.

pretty sure ill be joining you on k-st, even tho looks like i might have to lay -3 by time i bet it.. does rutgers moving to saturday change anything for you
It does. It goes from a Thursday night game with the crowd fired up and already partying to a Saturday morning at 11am game. I hate to lay points on those Saturday morning games. I think Rutgers will wax them too, but I'm not as hot to bet them as I was. Especially now that I can't get the -14. Every place I can bet with has -14x now

I watched S Dakota State last year. Reminded me a lot of Boise State or N Dakota State (who they beat in the playoff, albeit without Lance who didn't play in the spring), big, fast, tough guys guys, well coached, smart. I still like CSU, but pulled off that game. I'm sure CSU will be a lot better this year, but I haven't seen proof, and, as you point out, a question mark at QB

Who are you on this week?

Last edited:
Added Stanford Steve's Best Bet this week--Kansas State/Stanford under 53. He must be the only one who likes the under I see the total has gone up to 54x now

It does. It goes from a Thursday night game with the crowd fired up and already partying to a Saturday morning at 11am game. I hate to lay points on those Saturday morning games. I think Rutgers will wax them too, but I'm not as hot to bet them as I was. Especially now that I can't get the -14. Every place I can bet with has -14x now

I watched S Dakota State last year. Reminded me a lot of Boise State or N Dakota State (who they beat in the playoff, albeit without Lance who didn't play in the spring), big, fast, tough guys guys, well coached, smart. I still like CSU, but pulled off that game. I'm sure CSU will be a lot better this year, but I haven't seen proof, and, as you point out, a question mark at QB

Who are you on this week?

I hear ya, def agree those early sat starts are trickier to lay big numbers cause get lot of sluggish starts. I don’t think Schiano will let them be too flat but can’t fake the atmosphere. I only see 14.5 also, yea that blows. I’m getting yelled at to give woman my dinner order I’ll come back in few min and give ya my card as of now.

As of now I’m on:

sjst +14
Fresno +20.5
Rice +20
Maryland ml
K-st-3
Lsu/ucla un65

I’ll prob have 1-2 more and few more totals, lol. Def looking at Nevada, I really like them but just kinda torn on what I expect from Cal?

Jesus, just realized how many of mine line up w stanford Steve, I might have to play Nevada just to be against him on 1! Lol

Virtual Locks

Joey Galloway
Oklahoma -31.5
WVU/Maryland o57 (he is 9-2 betting overs)

Matt Barrie - "the people's picks" (public plays)
Clemson -3
Penn St/Wisconsin o50

Last edited:
I dunno if you still doing Joey Galloway? Wasn’t it him and another guy last year? Anyways he was on halftime of unc game and it was just his 2 picks and then they showed 2 picks I guess voted on by the ppl. Anyways galloway was on sooners-31.5 and wvu/Maryland over 57, If I recall he was pretty good picking them big favs in past. Only problem I see w Oklahoma is getting a way inflated line now, feel like I saw it in the 20s last week! Not a fan of betting into inflated numbers.

As good as Joey Galloway's picks have been, he's an "auto-tail", in my opinion..... 36-17 lifetime record (and 9-2 when he takes an over).

2021-Week-1-Virtual-Locks-1.png

Added Virtual Locks. They've changed the format this year. Joey is still picking the same way he did. A guy I don't know named Matt Barrie replaced Jesse and is taking the two picks that are getting the biggest action from the public.

Added Bill Trocci's picks

Trocci beat all the public handicappers last year, but this year is confining his picks to what he thinks are the best dogs for the week

Added Virtual Locks. They've changed the format this year. Joey is still picking the same way he did. A guy I don't know named Matt Barrie replaced Jesse and is taking the two picks that are getting the biggest action from the public.

oh I thought he was just naming 2 games public picked on Twitter poll or something. Clearly wasn’t listening. Lol.

Back