ESPN Handicappers make Week 10 Picks

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
Chris Fallica (Season 27-19-2) Week 9 (5-1-1)

• Oklahoma at Oklahoma St. – Oklahoma (+2.5)
  • Clemson at NC State – Clemson (-8)
  • Wisconsin at Indiana – Indiana (+12.5)
  • Southern Miss. at Tennessee – Southern Miss. (+6.5)
  • Maryland at Rutgers – Rutgers (+3)

Stanford Steve (Season 24-15-1) Week 9 (4-1) (3-4 on best picks)

• Oklahoma at Oklahoma St. – Oklahoma (+2.5)
  • Clemson at NC State – NC State (+8)
  • Stanford at Washington St. – Washington St. (-2)
  • Virginia Tech at Miami (FL) – Miami (FL) (+2.5)
  • Arizona at Southern California – Southern California (-7)

Phil Steele (Season 30-34-1) Week 9 (4-8-1)

• Central Mich. at Western Mich. – Western Mich. (-3.5)
  • Marshall at Fla. Atlantic – Marshall (+7.5)
  • Florida at Missouri – Florida (+3.5)
  • Georgia St. at Ga. Southern – Georgia St. (-4)
  • LSU at Alabama – Alabama (-21)
  • Minnesota at Michigan – Michigan (-15.5)
  • Ohio St. at Iowa – Ohio St. (-21)
  • Oklahoma at Oklahoma St. – Oklahoma (+3)
  • Oregon St. at California – Oregon St. (+7.5)
  • Penn St. at Michigan St. – Penn St. (-8.5)
  • South Carolina at Georgia – South Carolina (+24)
  • Virginia Tech at Miami (FL) – Miami (FL) (+2.5)
  • Wake Forest at Notre Dame – Notre Dame (-14)

My Picks (Season 27-22-2) Week 9 (4-4)
Only one bet so far. I prefer to wait to bet until the game comes on and the sideline reporter gives the weather and says for sure who is out and who is playing. I miss getting down now and then, but that’s the best information you can find on any game.

Oklahoma +3 (You can go crazy trying to make a case on this one. Stats are virtually identical on D. On O, OU is 1 in total offense, 5 in scoring, Ok State, 3 total offense, 4 scoring. Okla State has a more proven coach. OU has the better college QB. Ok State has the best receivers, OU the best O-line. Neither team has a good kicking game. Oklahoma has the most talent overall. No one outside the locker room knows if Rudolph is over his shoulder problem. I’ll take talent, the best QB, and the 3 points).
Utah - 6
Texas +7
Virg Tech +1x (
I must be the only one playing VT. They were -2x on Tuesday)
N Dame -14
Two late picks I'm adding on tonight;
Syracuse +7 (Taking a chance I have the most motivated team and for some reason FSU D has not been as bullet-proof as predicted)
Florida/Mo under 61x (I said I would never bet an under again, but can't resist this one. I'm gambling Shannon will have the D playing even better and the O will still be almost non-existent)

Still leaning to I State and may add Penn St/MSU under 48, but I'll wait till kickoff to get a better idea of the weather.

Last edited:
Oklahoma +3 (You can go crazy trying to make a case on this one. Stats are virtually identical on D. On O, OU is 1 in total offense, 5 in scoring, Ok State, 3 total offense, 4 scoring. Okla State has a more proven coach. OU has the better college QB. Ok State has the best receivers, OU the best O-line. Neither team has a good kicking game. Oklahoma has the most talent overall. No one outside the locker room knows if Rudolph is over his shoulder problem. I’ll take talent, the best QB, and the 3 points).

Rudolph's delivery / accuracy / willingness to go deep is nothing like it was early in the season. Something's up. You're likely to see increased workloads for both OSU RBs in this game. More than anything, this is the type game where Mayfield simply thrives - big stage, rivalry game, his final Bedlam and as an underdog? The latter especially seems to bring out the best in him. I think OU wins here.

I was interested to see Phil Steele's picks as I got a free power sweep in email this week. So I can see now that whatever determines the PSweep picks and Phil's picks are totally detached now. PSweep had 4* Colorado St, 3* Michigan, 3* Arizona St, 2* Stanford, 2* Florida and Underdog POW Kansas State. Phil only has one of those games in his weekly picks.

Love my Sooners but how anyone can back this D especially on the road is a big surprise to me.

They seem capable of playing defense in spurts - last 3 qtrs. vs. Tech but of course looking like a sieve in the 1Q. I just can't get past how Okie State has played in this game when both teams were ranked (lost 14 of last 15 in Bedlam) and Mayfield just feels like he puts a team on his back in these games, regardless of whether he also has to carry a defense. I love Gundy and would like to see OSU win but don't see that happening.

They seem capable of playing defense in spurts - last 3 qtrs. vs. Tech but of course looking like a sieve in the 1Q. I just can't get past how Okie State has played in this game when both teams were ranked (lost 14 of last 15 in Bedlam) and Mayfield just feels like he puts a team on his back in these games, regardless of whether he also has to carry a defense. I love Gundy and would like to see OSU win but don't see that happening.

FC I hope you are right. I live and die during the Fall w/ my Sooners but the offense we are facing in stoolwater tomorrow is more explosive and consistent IMO than TexTech, Baylor, Iowa State, Texas, and K-State, who combined to avg 33 pts against us the last 5 games.

The only 3 games OUr D has really shown up were the first three which included hapless UTEP and Tulane, sandwiched by tOSU where we were skyhigh and wanted revenge.

The truth is OUr D is below avg and Mike Stoops NEEDS TO GO

If my life depended on it I pick okie lite to beat us in stoolwater tomorrow, effectively ending our CFP run for the year and I get severely depressed for the next several days.

I hope to God I am wrong.

Stanford Steve said he went 12-2-1 his last 15 the other night I saw. He must be on a roll

Mayfield's team went 2-1 in the three road games they were getting points. In the other 12 games his team was favored to win by an average spread of 13 points per game.

Well, since Mayfield was not at Oklahoma in 2013 I'm not sure how what he did in 2013 factors into handicapping Oklahoma,.

Adding a couple of picks to my earlier ones

Syracuse +7 (Taking a chance I have the most motivated team and for some reason FSU D has not been as bullet-proof as predicted)
F.orida/Mo under 61x (I said I would never bet an under again, but can't resist this one. I'm gambling Shannon will have the D playing even better and the O will still be almost non-existent)

Still leaning to I State and may add Penn St/MSU under 48, but I'll wait till kickoff to get a better idea of the weather.

Good luck to all.

I'll never bet against Mayfield.

And I'll never come to grips that he grew up 20 minutes from our campus and that his dad begged Mack Brown to give him a shot. Obviously Texas wasn't the only one to bypass Mayfield but doesn't make me feel any better about it (or Brown).

Back