EPL Sep 29th to 30th Plays from North of the Border

Toronto_Mike

Scent of a Woman
English Premier League:
Record: 43-38-7 +$591.25
Totals 9-10-2
Big Plays: 3-1

Last 4 rounds have been great managed to get back into positives up over $3100 in the run, lets see if I can continue.

Manchester City vs Newcastle United Kickoff 7:45am EST
Manchester City 2.25
Draw 3.25
Newcastle United 3.30

Great game to kickoff the weekend. Two classy clubs with high aspirations this season meet up in Manchester. Man City are coming off a late 1-0 victory over Norwich in the Carling Cup midweek while Newcastle suffered a 2-0 defeat to Arsenal. Newcastle are still trying to find some sort of consistency this season. Having lost to Derby not too long ago, they go back home to handle West Ham 3-1. Bad news for Newcastle is that Michael Owen is injured....again. Can't seem to really keep both feet on the ground for more than 2 months. This means Obafemi Martins will partner up with Mark Viduka, who shut me up last week bagging a brace. I wonder if he can do something special again today. Manchester City have been extremely impressive especially at home. They have kept a clean sheet in all 3 home games played this season and 1 Carling Cup tie as well. Since the start of the season, many wondered whether Kasper Schmeichel was ready to get the starting role. He has answered his critics quite nicely. However, he isn't the main reason why City's defense has been tremendous. Players such as Micah Richards and Richard Dunne have proven to be a solid backbone to manager Sven Goran Eriksson's plans. After all the spending, it is clear that Eriksson has gotten some good buys. Elano and Martin Petrov have been on form this season and have really settled the midfield after the loss of Joey Barton. Questions still surround their forwards. Valeri Bojinov will be out of action for an extended period of time and now another striker Rolando Bianchi will be forced to sit out after picking up a groin injury midweek. We should see Man City play a much mor open midfield with a lone striker, Mpenza. Thus the low scoring affairs. Newcastle are still not impressive away from St. James' Park. After starting the first two road games scoring 5 in total, they have now gone 2 road games, including the Carling Cup, without a goal. Now the face a very superior Man City defense and I expect more hardships for Newcastle. They still lack creativity in the midfield and its unfortunate Joey Barton is still sideline to make a return to his former club. Both managers are well respected and know how to make their changes. However, I'm still more impressed with the way Man City plays at home than how Newcastle handles their road games. Look for a slim Man City win.
Bet: Man City ML @ 2.25 $300 to win $375
Prediciton: Man City 2-0 Newcastle
Goal Scorers: Man City, Martin Petrov, Elano

Portsmouth vs Reading Kickoff 10:00am EST
Portsmouth 1.72
Draw 3.40
Reading 5.50

Portsmouth finally won an away game in the EPL for the first time since Boxing Day. Could this finally be a start of a great run? Reading need some last minute heroics to steal a win vs Wigan. Still not very impressive. They've been playing poor football the over the last 6 games. Reading will be without Bobby Convey who scored that dramatic winner last week, he has sustained a leg injury during a training session and will surely be missed. Manager Steve Coppell will have a selection of Lita, Kitson and Doyle upfront but still has not found a steady partnership between the three. Reading are coming off a horrific Carling Cup loss to Liverpool, losing 4-2 and letting Fernando Torres run riot on the defense. Portsmouth have a strong attacking prescence. David Nugent scored the winner midweek in the Carling Cup but it is still not known whether or not he will see a lot of EPL action anytime soon. Kanu picked up a slight knock during the week but should be fit in time for the match to continue his fine display this season. Playing at Fratton Park is never easy. Just ask Liverpool and Man Utd who both succumb to draws. Portsmouth also will be happy to note they have played the big 4 already this early in the season and now will be solely focus to get back into a consistent form. The win at Blackburn is a morale booster for the club, it also displayed a some great defensive plays after recent matches that resulted in manager Harry Redknapp questioning his defenders commitment. I expect Portsmouth to go on a run here, after this match, they play Wigan and Fulham on the road. There is 9 points up for the taking. It should start today.
Bet: Portsmouth -0.5 @ 1.775 $300 to win $232.50
Prediction: Portsmouth 2-0 Reading
Goal Scorers: Portsmouth, John Utaka, Benjani

Chelsea vs Fulham Kickoff 10:00am EST
Chelsea 1.28
Draw 5.00
Fulham 13.00

One of two London Derby's this weekend, though it is still not as extravagant there is still a little something to play for here. Chelsea have been the talk of the town this season, not for positive things but for both on and off the pitch encounters. On the pitch they have looked horrendous, they don't have the same defensive instinct they use to have and their offense looks awful without Lampard. Off the field, Mourinho's sacking came as a shock for most of the managers around the league, they all feel it is just terrible timing to let go of a manager midway through the season. Now Avram Grant is the manager and he is barely qualified to manage a team. Chelsea will be delighted to note that Didier Drogba has made himself available for this match, his arrival is a lot sooner than most expected and he definitely is needed. Chelsea finally won a match midweek during the Carling Cup tie after going 4 games without a win, one of their worse runs in recent memories. Fulham are still trying to figure out how to win on the road. Dating back to 2005-2006, the Cottagers have managed only 2 road victories! That is the worse road record out of all the current EPL clubs. It is funny how a club with a smaller stadium plays well at home but then gets really intimidated playing infront of a larger crowd. This will be Avram Grants first EPL match managing the club since Mourinho's sacking and it will be closely monitored by many pundits and of course the owner Roman Abramovich. Chelsea are still not 100% fit, no Carvalho at the back so it looks like either Ben Haim or Alex will partner with John Terry. John Obi Mikel is suspended following his red card last week vs Man Utd. However, if there is a bright spot for Chelsea this season, it will be their wingers. Both Florent Malouda and Shaun Wright Phillips have played superbly. Their pace has been quite a delight to watch and a menace to opposing defenders. Fulham suffered a defeat midweek at the hands of Bolton. Not a result they wanted coming into a big match like this. Chelsea are unbeaten at home during EPL for 66 matches and now play the worse road team. I think people have already written Chelsea off but careful careful, its still early in the season and anything can happen. I think Chelsea will win this one convincingly infront of their fans and most importantly the owner.
Bet: Chelsea -1.5 @ 2.025 $300 to win $307.50
Prediction:
Chelsea 3-0 Fulham
Goal Scorers: Chelsea, Didier Drogba, Florent Malouda, Andriy Shevchenko

MIKE!! Chelsea vs Fulham!
it made me recall last season 2-2.
i lost much money for that match,i mean too much!!
but good luck mike

West Ham vs Arsenal Kickoff 10:00am EST
West Ham 5.00
Draw 3.60
Arsenal 1.72

Another London derby which will be a little bit more competitive then the Chelsea/Fulham match. Arsenal are off to a flying start this season, having yet to face defeat, they should of been 100% if not for that silly mistake by Jens Lehman. Since then, Arsenal have won 7 straight games and have held a cleansheet in the last 3. During the midweek, Arsene Wenger tweaked his squad by letting in the youngsters play and it paid off with a 2-0 victory over Newcastle. Arsenal have a tough CL encounter when they travel to Romania to face Steaua. Alexander Hleb and Tomas Rosicky are both out of this match due to injuries. That could be crucial. Although there is significant cover, those two players have been significant figures in surging form of the team this year. West Ham have started out brightly as well although last week's loss to Newcastle was clearly their worse display of the season. Nevertheless, the squad is starting to click. The Hammers are one team that Arsenal do not like to play. They have managed 3 straight victories over the Gunners and will look to continue that streak of fortune. Dean Ashton and Craig Bellamy look like they have turned up the notch and are starting to look comfortable upfront together. I expect the combination of pace and power to cause some problems for Toure and Senderos. There should be a hostile reception for Arsenal at Upton Park, this West Ham's biggest match to date and I expect them to perform well. Manager Alan Curbishley is known to put together a team that just causes problems for the big 4 clubs. He beat Manchester Utd twice last season and Arsenal at the Emirates. Look for him to be a mastermind again. West Ham will provide a shock or at least a positive result. I think Arsenal is the biggest sucker bet this weekend.
Bet: West Ham +0.5 @ 2.175 $500 to win $587.50
Prediction:
West Ham 1-1 Arsenal
Goal Scorers: West Ham, Craig Bellamy Arsenal, Robin van Persie

Sunderland vs Blackburn Kickoff 10:00am EST
Sunderland 2.75
Draw 3.25
Blackburn 2.62

Two former Manchester United teammates meet not on the pitch but on the sidelines. Managers Roy Keane and Mark Hughes test their tactical and coaching talents against one another in their first meeting as managers. This should be interesting to see how both sides play out each managers characteristics. Blackburn suffered a rare defeat last week against Portsmouth at Ewood Park but rebounded very nicely during the Carling Cup with a 3-0 win over Birmingham. Sunderland are starting to maintain consis tency the past few games and will look to go 3 games unbeaten at the Stadium of Light. However, that task will be very difficult considering the amount of injuries manager Roy Keane will have to deal with. He's had to go into his reserves to pick up some players. Blackburn are still without captain Ryan Nelsen. They also have an important UEFA Cup tie come Thursday when they have to battle back from being 2 goals down to Larisa. Blackburn's ability to score has been in question. Benni McCarthy has looked like a ghost of last season and it seems they really require on the midfield to do majority of the work. Roque Santa Cruz has been a positive buy for Mark Hughes but it was though that the partnership of Cruz and McCarthy would be bagging in goals at a consistent rate. Blackburn have scored only 5 goals in 6 EPL matches. That is a concerning rate if they wish to strive for Europe. However, they have great quality on the defensive end that keeps them in close range. They are also a very physical squad, Arsenal can attest to that. Sunderland are a very determined squad other Roy Keane. Though they do not boast tremendous quality, they do have very good discipline and determination. I think that defeat from Larisa and Portsmouth really shook the Rovers and they may still be feeling the effects of how it feels like to lose. I'm looking at Sunderland to take the advantage infront of their home fans.
Bet: Sunderland (0) @ 2.075 $300 to win $322.50
Draw @ 3.25 $100 to win $225
Prediction:
Sunderland 0-0 Blackburn

Derby vs Bolton Kickoff 10:00am EST
Derby 2.70
Draw 3.25
Bolton 2.62

Bottom two squads face off in an important match that will help either club get a better edge over the other in the relegation battle. Both clubs are desperate for any result as it has become apparent that it will be a long season. Bolton have yet to score a point on the road this season however they did manage a road victory in the Carling Cup so there is potential there to win....i think. Bolton have quality players problem is Sammy Lee doesn't know how to manage them. He will be extremely happy that Kevin Davies is back in the light up so that should spark some energy. Not too many injury notes. No recent hits to cause any concern for Derby. They must be able to take the points at home. They did well against Newcastle and Portsmouth so they must try and prevail at Pride Park. All 4 goals scored for Derby this season have been at home so i expect them to put at least a goal against a weak Bolton defense. In return, Bolton should do the same, they must play to win rather than settle for a draw. If they are too cautious they may get hit with a suprise attack. I think Derby is worth a shot here. I enjoy playing relegation contenders playing at home as their main source of points. Traditionally, Derby have not lost in 4 EPL encounters vs Bolton but that has been awhile back. There is always something about traveling to Derby that gives teams some problems. I think we may see a problem here again.
Bet: Both teams to score @ 1.80 $300 to win $240
Derby (0) @ 2.05 $300 to win $315
Prediction:
Derby 2-1 Bolton
Goal Scorers: Derby, Kenny Miller, Matt Oakley Bolton, Nicolas Anelka

Awesome plays bro.

I really wish Fulham would pick it up. Being that there are four Americans that play consistently for them now, it's obvious that they are my favorite team to root for in the EPL - too bad they are so awful that all they can do is avoid relegation each season - hahaha...

GL this weekend brother...

W/you on Portsmouth and Derby, buddy. Good luck!

And oh, yeah, I had lost a few with that Chelsea 2-2 last year myself, paris!

thanks for the support fellas.

Anyways i'm running out of time for the last two games but

Wigan/Liverpool: NO BET
Birmingham/Manchester Utd: Under 2.5 @ 1.90 $150 to win $135

Tottenham vs Aston Villa Kickoff 3:00pm EST:
Don't have time for the write up, but was looking at the under but got some opinions over from the Tottenham side. I don't think Villa will win this, the most they can get is a draw but i believe Tottenham have a lot more to play for and Villa will want to just score. Villans are playing without Carew so the offense might take awhile to adjust but the pace might be enough to disturb Kaboul and Dawson.
Over 2.5 @ 1.95 $300 to win $285
Both teams to score @ 1.75 $300 to win $225

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=331 bgColor=#666666 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#cfcfcf><TD width=45 height=18>42'</TD><TD align=right width=118>Tottenham H.</TD><TD align=middle width=50>1 - 3</TD><TD width=118>Aston Villa</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

may be this is the last game for Martin Jol!!

Hehe, what a freakin' game! I stopped watching at 1-4, then turmed it back on and watched Spurs celebrating the equalizer! Wow!

Great calls, Mike but I'm sure this has left you a sour taste, hasn't it.

small profit but i will take it, thank god for the scoring fest, lol.

6-4-1 +$292.50

Record: 49-42-8 +$883.75
Totals 11-10-2
Big Plays: 3-2

Back