"emergency Alert" Team In Deep Trouble!

Line Exploiter

Pretty much a regular
I very rarely post unless I see an incredible opportunity that I don't think anyone else knows about or I strongly agree or disagree with an opinion! Having said this, I see a team losing out and never covering another spread the rest of the year!

I have to say I am a lifelong Maryland fan and I attend all home footbal and basketball home games for the most part. I did not go to last Saturdays game because I knew what was going to happen and I instead stayed at the bar and made my largest wager of the season on Clemson -3.5! They throttled a injury ravaged UM team on Saturday night and Clemson wasn't even close to full strength.

Let me say I know this Maryland team inside and out and they fight their hearts out every game. They now have lost 5 starting offensive lineman and have 2 backups are injured. They have lost 2 starting defensive lineman and 2 starting linebackers. This all happens to a team without much depth and with their starting quarterback out the last 4 weeks.

The Terps are finished and the worst part of this is that they found a good quarterback in sophmore Chris Turner who is probably going to be benched for Jordan Steffy (returning from concussion) because the latter is more mobile to scramble in front of an all freshmen O-LINE. Coach Fridge is scared to death to open up the offense because of the O-Line and therefore teams are stacking the line and then blitzing on long yardage.

The terps play UNC this week and I bet UNC-2 even though they were blown out last week by W.F. their home record has been good (even with a W over Miami). The schedule and point spread get tougher after that with a probable undefeated B.C. team followed by tough road games at FSU and an improving N.C. State team. I think the terps lose out and never cover a spread again, I might as well make money while my team gets destroyed! Good luck to everyone and I hope you make some money from this advice!

L.E. ~ I rarely post, but I have to say that I totally agree with every one of your points.I heard Ralph interviewed on the radio and he pretty much said,"We aren't gonna' get much better until we get well".The problem is they're not getting "well' anytime soon and not only is the O line thin but most of them are playing out of position.

Couldnt agree more. Terps are not in a good spot here what so ever. They also managed to not get one completion to their top receiver heyward bey. I think fridge has lost his team

Just to keep the balance...UNC has their own injuries on their hands:

Coach Butch Davis says it is getting harder to find enough players to fill special teams with injuries and attrition taking a toll on a team already thin in experienced linebackers and defensive backs.

A dismal performance by the special teams left Coach Butch Davis and his staff scrambling for answers after the 37-10 loss to Wake Forest on Saturday.

UNC had 184 yards on eight kickoff returns. Wake Forest had 181 yards, one touchdown and set up another, on two kickoff returns. The other UNC kickoff went into the end zone for a touchback.

<!--Start Wake Forest KO return 200x267 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/941/558599.jpg', '558599.jpg', 0, 267, 200, 1, 'Wake Forest returned a kickoff for a touchdown and another set up an easy score.', 'Associated Press', 1193609823000, 'Wake Forest KO return 200x267', 941, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=202>
558599.jpg
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Associated Press</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Wake Forest returned a kickoff for a touchdown and another set up an easy score.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- End Wake Forest KO return 200x267 Image-->To compound matters, Carolina turned the ball over on two interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown, and had a punt bounce off the foot of a player. That was recovered by Wake Forest for a third turnover.

"We were extraordinarily accommodating to them," Davis said, "turning the ball over three times. The two interceptions … the punt that hit Richie Rich in the foot led to 13 points. On kickoff returns, we did a very, very poor job, and that led to another 14 points. So those five plays cost us [27] points. That is way too many points, way too many negative plays, and they turned out to be big plays."

Coaches naturally seek solutions when there are such problems. The issue for this team is there are limited answers at this point for special teams.

"The area we are really struggling is with the talent from a depth standpoint," Davis said. "We're probably three to four linebackers short on this football team, two safeties and two corners short of being able to have enough depth and talent to augment and help our special teams.

"A lot of these freshmen have to play on defense and they also have to play on special teams," Davis said. "Before the end of the day, your coverage units really get taxed. We have to use Brooks Foster and other receivers to do double duty on kickoff and punt returns. It's an issue; the only way to resolve that is through recruiting. We just have to build the depth of this football team this next off-season to where we have enough guys.

"We had to move Richie Rich from running back to cornerback," Davis said. "He's had about two to two-and-a-half weeks. The first week was an experimentation to look and see if he could help us. On Saturday, low and behold, he ended up having to play in some of our nickel situations. Charles Brown started at corner. When Charlie goes back inside in nickel, Richie had to go into the ball game. That tells you a little bit about the state of things."

The areas in which the Tar Heels lack the most depth is at linebacker and cornerback. That just happens to be where many of the special teams players usually come from.

"I would venture to say that most 4-3 defenses, where they have three linebackers, probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 as a minimum and as many as 11 to 13 linebackers on your team," Davis said. "We have no where near that. We only have six or seven who are available right now.

"When you look at who covers kickoffs and who covers punts, it's usually safeties, corners, a lot of times it's your linebackers. That makes up the core of your special teams."

Davis said this why the staff is planning to find a way to bring in a large recruiting class, despite not having many obvious scholarships available back at the start of the season.

"We'll have a good recruiting class this year, and we'll have pretty good numbers," Davis said.

As far as getting prepared for Saturday's 3:30 p.m. homecoming game against Maryland at Kenan Stadium, Davis said the Tar Heels must focus on what they can fix and not worry so much about the Terrapins.

"The message I try to share with the team is a lot of times redundant in that it's the same message," Davis said. "I'm trying to get our players to understand that it is more about us than the opponents: our effort, our execution, our intensity, our preparation, our practices. You can't control the other team.

"You don't know how hard they are going to play. You don't know how they are going to execute. You can't control any of that stuff. But you can control our own efficiency, making mistakes, making plays. [Saturday], we didn't cover kickoffs very well at all. We have to eliminate those kinds of things. It's more about our football team and less about the other teams."

<!-- no ad here-->NOTE: UNC turns the ball over more frequently. I am still undecided on the game. Will probably hold off, lose the UM line favor.

Thanks guys, I didn't know how injured the tar heels were and I think I will back off a little bit on the bet. The next 3 games are going to be the big moneymakers and especially the B.C. game if they stay undefeated!

I will get back to you guys when I know what Friedgen is going to do at quarterback. Excellent info Jimmy Hoffa on the injuries to UNC!

Guys, looks like the Fridge is going to start Turner but said he will probably play Steffy as well because of his mobility. I am recommending a small play on UNC and it would be a big play if they weren't so banged up all the way around!

The UNC-UM total is being hit up to as high as 46.5 and now the line is starting to drop to 2. I am sticking with small play on UNC, but the real big bet will be next week when B.C. comes to Maryland!

Back