Early playoff thoughts ...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Talk to me. What's the feelings?

I have Phillies, Rays and Jays futures left.

Obviously ATL the favorite.

What we thinking in the AL?

Pretty refreshing to see new teams for once.

Rays have won 98 games going into today. Obviously anything can happen in a short series but they have been consistently good right along the best teams in the league. Tough break for them if the have to play Houston in the Wildcard. I think they’re worth a shot to win the ALCS.

Crushing blow to the Orioles after deciding to give in and have their stud closer Bautista get TJ surgery done now. They'd been holding on to hope that they could delay and somehow have him pitch in the postseason but realized yesterday that it wouldn't be an option. Nice of them to give him a two year $2 million extension as well considering he'll miss all of next season.

The last 6 years, the team clinching first has been bounced 1st round. Braves haven't had a meaningful game in awhile. Fried and Morton aren't healthy. Bullpen has been leaking oil. I just don't see how this year is any different when Philly beat them last year.

Too much bad juju this year for that team..but I hope you're right.
Just feel it’s a team who plays baseball the way it should be played. Bullpen has good depth for each inning if the starters can get them into the 5th. Worth a shot considering the rest of the AL is beatable. Could be wrong, just looking outside of Baltimore and Houston. GL!

Last edited:
The Rays absolutely astound me. Just look at the team. on offense they have no real super stars, save the child predator. Arozarena is pretty good. Bethencourt a journeyman who didn't get 300 PA's in the majors until he was 30. Yandy Diaz and Harold Ramirez are just other guys really. Siri and Brandon Lowe decent enough, but surely not stars (1 all star game combined between the two). Paredes is a guy that couldn't break through with the tigers ffs.
But then look at their pitching. Springs goes down what the second week of the season? McClanahan gives them 21 starts before he breaks down. Glasnow just got 21 starts as well, these are Cy Young caliber pitchers and they pickup guys like Elfin, and Littell and like who are these guys. But they win like 100 games every year.

Braves certainly the favorites with just no holes on that team on offense (every single fantasy baseball league I did had Acuna on the winning team, so annoying). And their pitching after Strider could be spotty, but the bullpen is great.

I like the Dodgers to win it all but it's cool to see the young guys on the O's and Snakes in the playoffs.

Baseball just tries to FAIL as often as possible?

Why are the games at 3 and 4 and 7 and 8? They could have easily done a 1, 330, 6, 830...
I feel like this is new this year?

They've been spaced out well in the last several years, haven't they?

The Rays absolutely astound me. Just look at the team. on offense they have no real super stars, save the child predator. Arozarena is pretty good. Bethencourt a journeyman who didn't get 300 PA's in the majors until he was 30. Yandy Diaz and Harold Ramirez are just other guys really. Siri and Brandon Lowe decent enough, but surely not stars (1 all star game combined between the two). Paredes is a guy that couldn't break through with the tigers ffs.
But then look at their pitching. Springs goes down what the second week of the season? McClanahan gives them 21 starts before he breaks down. Glasnow just got 21 starts as well, these are Cy Young caliber pitchers and they pickup guys like Elfin, and Littell and like who are these guys. But they win like 100 games every year.

Braves certainly the favorites with just no holes on that team on offense (every single fantasy baseball league I did had Acuna on the winning team, so annoying). And their pitching after Strider could be spotty, but the bullpen is great.

I like the Dodgers to win it all but it's cool to see the young guys on the O's and Snakes in the playoffs.
The Rays amaze year in year out

I feel like this is new this year?

They've been spaced out well in the last several years, haven't they?
They always started the 4 game slates at 10am west coast. I take those days off from work every year and was surprised by the new times. All about ratings and with these times they might not get any regardless.

Brewers lost Brandon Woodruff for the playoffs so the one thing they had going for them which is pitching is taking a huge hit. With a AAA caliber lineup it was going to be an uphill climb to win a championship but without one of their three aces they will probably be done in the next two or three days and even if they get through round one they won't be a threat against the Dodgers anyway. Sad that its probably the end of the road for this team with Counsell who will be named the Mets manager a few days after the season ends.

Just feel it’s a team who plays baseball the way it should be played. Bullpen has good depth for each inning if the starters can get them into the 5th. Worth a shot considering the rest of the AL is beatable. Could be wrong, just looking outside of Baltimore and Houston. GL!

Hope you're right. I am a RAYS and PHILLIES fan hardcore this month.

Admittedly @twinkie13 , there was a lot of bad bets too.

Pads
CWS
STL

Those were made around same time.

I did make the Olson bet the eve of opening day though. That HR prop, and Ohtani HR prop his rookie year two of my all-time favorite prop bets.

Back to those other futures... good golly those were bad,

There was no value in ATL at that point, otherwise that was autobet.

As far as my personal futures...

Nice thing with the AL -- we have a wide-open race perhaps. Admittedly, I have not followed bases the last 45 days or so that much since Olson got past the 35.5 I was pretty bummed with the Rays injuries and whatnot. Philly had come back from the bad start -- I felt the playoffs were no issue. Jays were added August 15th, and that is about the time I tuned out on MLB to be honest.

I did watch a lot this week, with it being the final week at Copa for Miggy. They handled things wonderfully, and he had some fun moments.

I thought I was gonna cash my ticket when the Rays started 19-1. Was ready to book my flight to the Maldives.

Now, not so much.

Imma be honest, I have no business winning a MLB WS future again for awhile.

2020 with Dodgers
2021 with Braves

2019 I had Houston, but totally flipped that "live" in GM 7 on the Nationals for a nice piece.
2017 Astros, albeit a bit later to the game
2015 Royals (waited and waited on this one, fired at a much smaller # than I would have if I would listed to Hunt in the off-season) (Always remember, Hunt was the FIRST one anywhere on the Royals that off-season IFYKYK)

So, get me one of these teams in the WS and I'll find profit. All gravy baby.

Snakes +130 and I assume we get Gallen then Kelly in ganes 2&3. Milw has obvious edge game 1 but there a ton of pressure on them to win this game cause they lose this pitching matchup this series over in 2!

I don’t love the price but I don’t think any chance in hell fish beat Philly. I’ll lay it.

No clue wtf gonna happen in AL. I want to like twins but I bet them 35–1 at beginning the season, not going against them against a jays offense I don’t think is all that scary but not adding either, mostly cause Lopez been hugely disappointing to me.

I havnt been able to figure out Texas the entire 2nd half. I will say Semien has had some great at bats vs glastnow. Rays lost so much starting pitching I think it had a negative effect on their pen. Nothing would surprise me this series but Montgomery bring the gm1 starter doesn’t give me a good feeling for rangers, just gonna depend if they decide to hit this series or they have a stretch where they can’t bring in runners to save their life?? Rays experience prob wins out but I’m not ready to bet them cause I think rangers are dangerous.

I thought I was gonna cash my ticket when the Rays started 19-1. Was ready to book my flight to the Maldives.

Now, not so much.
I can attest to this.

You all know Hunt for football betting, but baseball is really his first love (I believe). He was popping the champagne through that first 40 games.

I forgot I took Orioles as well, but nothing like I have on Phils/Rays. Maybe to win half of what i would on those 2.

Snakes +130 and I assume we get Gallen then Kelly in ganes 2&3. Milw has obvious edge game 1 but there a ton of pressure on them to win this game cause they lose this pitching matchup this series over in 2!

I don’t love the price but I don’t think any chance in hell fish beat Philly. I’ll lay it.

No clue wtf gonna happen in AL. I want to like twins but I bet them 35–1 at beginning the season, not going against them against a jays offense I don’t think is all that scary but not adding either, mostly cause Lopez been hugely disappointing to me.

I havnt been able to figure out Texas the entire 2nd half. I will say Semien has had some great at bats vs glastnow. Rays lost so much starting pitching I think it had a negative effect on their pen. Nothing would surprise me this series but Montgomery bring the gm1 starter doesn’t give me a good feeling for rangers, just gonna depend if they decide to hit this series or they have a stretch where they can’t bring in runners to save their life?? Rays experience prob wins out but I’m not ready to bet them cause I think rangers are dangerous.

I like AZ, but if you get to that pen, they lose.

I like AZ, but if you get to that pen, they lose.

Brewers offense doesn’t worry me. Losing woodruff a blow to them, can’t remember last time they actually won in playoffs. I hear ya but +130 when I get 2 pitchers I think can mow them down for 7+ innings. Burnes has been much better in the 2nd half but he has had some clunkers. I don’t expect snakes to win gm1 but if they steal it somehow it lights out. For me the price is right for I think the better team.

Good stuff.

Having said all that...WS prediction:

Twins/Braves

I don’t think anyone beating Braves in NL, didn’t even bother with any long shot nl futures this year. Twins making it music fo my ears as I played them at beginning the year. Dunno I buy them, it was just a great price for a team w easy path to playoffs. They have actually been hitting a bit lately so it wouldn’t totally shock me. I be hedging out like crazy if they make it, prob think bout it in ALCS depending who they face.

If Lopez would become the ace I been waiting for him to be I’d feel way better bout twinks but he seems to always have a blow up inning.

And if ya seen me around Mlb forum last 3 years ya know I like the fish, bet the fish a lot. I just don’t think they ready for the battle tested Phillies

Just noticed Tex-Rays head to head was 5-5 with both teams wining their 5 games at home.

I proclaimed rays dead months ago (lol), I can’t believe they managed to stay in this position losing all those pitchers. Rangers have been baffling to me most the 2nd half, they had a month where I think they failed with bases loaded no outs more than any team In history! Hyperbole but it was crazy how often I saw them load bases w no outs and get nothing! That offense could steal a series, I think rays pen is a bit gassed from all the scrambling they had to do. Of course rangers pen is just bad. I really have no clue here but I think im gonna play a Semien prop agaibst glastnow.

I don’t think anyone beating Braves in NL, didn’t even bother with any long shot nl futures this year. Twins making it music fo my ears as I played them at beginning the year. Dunno I buy them, it was just a great price for a team w easy path to playoffs. They have actually been hitting a bit lately so it wouldn’t totally shock me. I be hedging out like crazy if they make it, prob think bout it in ALCS depending who they face.

Minnesota is a really good late inning team. Insane record when leading after 7/8. Rarely blow it.

Semien ov 1.5 total bases is +135. He sporting a ops well above .900 in day games, 1,000 ops in playoffs. And he has a double, triple and 2 jacks in 9 at bats vs glastnow

Minnesota is a really good late inning team. Insane record when leading after 7/8. Rarely blow it.

Yea their pen is nails which wins a lot this time of year these days and I like their staff. They loaded w like 4 #2s!! Most the year I didn’t think they were hitting enough but the offense ain’t been half bad this past month or so. Im all for it. If they make it to WS IT be the 3rd time in 4 years I had a 30-1 or better ticket on a team in WS, won wit nats at asb in ‘19, took Phillies at asb last year. Took twins at beginning this year (posted in the beginning season thread).

There are too many playoff teams. No reason why there should be 3 wild cards in each league. The three division winners should all get a bye with the 4 and 5 teams playing 2 of 3 to get to the next round.

The Brewers are going to win this series. Despite losing Woodruff the Brewers pitching staff is still the best in the league. Burnes and Freddy are a very solid 1/2 and the bullpen is the best in baseball.

Another factor which is never mentioned is just how good the Brewers are defensively. Its going to be a low scoring series but the difference will be the Brewers vastly superior bullpen.

Losing Woodruff is devastating no doubt and winning it all is most likely not going to happen but the Brewers are the superior team in this series. Its a joke that its only best 2 of 3 but at least we will have the games at home.

The Rays are the best run team in the sport and I would really like their chances of winning it all if they didn't have all the picthing injuries. McClanahan and Rasmussen are both top of the rotation guys who are irreplaceable.

The Rangers have the better starting pitching with the lineups relatively even. The Rangers bullpen is disgustingly bad so I lean slightly to Tampa in 3 games.

Minnesota has lost I think 18 straight playoff games and won a joke of a division but Toronto is hard to trust. I'll go with Minnesota finally figuring things out to win in 3 games.

I don't think anyone will be picking Miami over Philadelphia and neither will I. The Phillies offense is great and the pitching is decent enough against a terrible Miami lineup. Its way too chalky and I hate being on the obvious side but Philles in 2 games.

Back