Eagles vs. Buccaneers Discussion Thread

I'll add a tiny bit here as a Birds fan.

I hate this matchup for the Eagles. About midway through yesterday it looked like Philly was going to LA and I was perfectly fine with that. The Rams have looked unable to string together more than two good quarters for months. Then, of course, they fell apart and now here we are.

While I realize commentators and the like will tell you this is bad for TB because the Birds can run the ball—and that's true—Tampa can throw it. And the problem with this Eagles defense is that you can throw on it. Yes, they were missing a bunch of guys vs. Dallas. But in both Dallas games, the Cowboys lit them up through the air. And the problem with a good running game vs. a good passing game is that a good running game takes time. A good passing game doesn't.

So all you need is one drive to stall and suddenly you're down by a score or two and the running game gets harder to stay committed to.

I think this line is right. I do think the Birds can get inside it if they can hang around the back door in the second half. But I hate this matchup. This game feels like 31+ to like 17.

My only hesitation there is that I've seen teams like Atlanta put decent numbers up on TB. They still lost, but with a big spread, if you can score ... that's why I feel like the back door might be open here. And, of course, if Brady melts down or Hurts has the game of his young NFL career, you never know.

My suggestion is to look at the Bucs' TT over. Maybe tease TB or lean on the over.

I hate this matchup for the Eagles. About midway through yesterday it looked like Philly was going to LA and I was perfectly fine with that. The Rams have looked unable to string together more than two good quarters for months. Then, of course, they fell apart and now here we are.

While I realize commentators and the like will tell you this is bad for TB because the Birds can run the ball—and that's true—Tampa can throw it. And the problem with this Eagles defense is that you can throw on it. Yes, they were missing a bunch of guys vs. Dallas. But in both Dallas games, the Cowboys lit them up through the air. And the problem with a good running game vs. a good passing game is that a good running game takes time. A good passing game doesn't.

So all you need is one drive to stall and suddenly you're down by a score or two and the running game gets harder to stay committed to.

I think this line is right. I do think the Birds can get inside it if they can hang around the back door in the second half. But I hate this matchup. This game feels like 31+ to like 17.

My only hesitation there is that I've seen teams like Atlanta put decent numbers up on TB. They still lost, but with a big spread, if you can score ... that's why I feel like the back door might be open here. And, of course, if Brady melts down or Hurts has the game of his young NFL career, you never know.

My suggestion is to look at the Bucs' TT over. Maybe tease TB or lean on the over.
My first reaction was that this is a horrible matchup for Philly too

Philly fan here and I completely agree. I see a TB 10 pt or so win

Was bout ready to say philly turned a corner defensively since vegas but then you see the last passing qb they faced herbert went 32/38

That said Philly improved as a team maybe more than any team from front half to back half of season. First game vs buccs philly didnt even know they should run it every down

Buccs been playing very poorly since bills game. Their run defense isnt like last year either. Id take the points

If it gets back to 10 I'll play Philly. Not much ideally at this point but TB shouldn't be giving 10 points to anyone even if the QB's name is Brady. They can be scored on at will with just a tad bit of competence from the coaching staff.

My 1st reaction was this awful matchup for Philly cause it really hard to run on bucs, I have seen some teams lately have some success on ground tho. Panthers ran anytime veta was out and then they would go no huddle and run again; if Philly was paying attention there might be a way to get the ground game going against bucs but matchup does suck for them.

Eagles really need sanders in this game. They need his speed on the edge, which is much more attack able than up the middle on runs. I think he and hurts can do damage on that d in rpo. They gotta figure out how to cover gronk tho. Slay should be ok w evans

Eagles really need sanders in this game. They need his speed on the edge, which is much more attack able than up the middle on runs. I think he and hurts can do damage on that d in rpo. They gotta figure out how to cover gronk tho. Slay should be ok w evans

Agree bout sanders, that why I was asking. Think it imperative for their chances, just can’t see them able to be incredibly effective between the tackles with Howard/Scott. Forget what I was watching the other day that showed how panthers had success going no huddle and running anytime veta was off the field. I havnt watched Philly enough to know but I would think the zone read stuff would be easy to run no huddle with.

not that we need any encouragement to think bucs gonna waste these guys but according to power picks posted by markmoneymakers, all 9 of philly wins vs non playoff teams! 1-7 vs winning teams with a 2-6 ats number in those games.

is playoff lenny gonna be a full go? i wanted to take his td prop but wasnt sure how healthy he is.

Philly lined pretty sharp imo. Bucs did sneak up on teams playoffs last season, not same this year. Bucs 2dary has been vulnerable for 2 years now and run D has declined down the stretch imo. Philly has run game that could keep Brady on sidelines taking away a couple possessions for TB on O and when Tommy and tb O is on field there are 3 Philly CB’s that could disrupt things for him and not make it easy. AB may be a distraction but he is an immense talent that Tommy trusts and loves throwing to so his absence is also a factor for this TB playoff run imo.

Reactions: KJ
Philly lined pretty sharp imo. Bucs did sneak up on teams playoffs last season, not same this year. Bucs 2dary has been vulnerable for 2 years now and run D has declined down the stretch imo. Philly has run game that could keep Brady on sidelines taking away a couple possessions for TB on O and when Tommy and tb O is on field there are 3 Philly CB’s that could disrupt things for him and not make it easy. AB may be a distraction but he is an immense talent that Tommy trusts and loves throwing to so his absence is also a factor for this TB playoff run imo.
Watch the weather in this one, it could get dirty

i think losing AB cost them a chance to repeat but not so sure it matters a ton here. it just really tough to buy into philly when you look at their season and see all 9 wins came against teams with losing records. they havnt beat a playoff team and only 2-6 ats i believe against them. one of the covers being against bucs who basically handed them the cover after jumping all over them in 1st half and putting it in cruise control in 2nd half.

Initial work and now this puts me on strong under lean
Most weather people are holding off on predicting this storm but Tampa could well get hit by it, so much wait and see for me

Gonna just say that Buffalo playing Sat night looks like it's pretty fortunate

Starting to think y’all are right and this is a bad match for Philly.

Philly can beat the Saints and those types weekly. Run the ball, wear the clock.

TB if anything can score and Brady in the playoffs vs Hurts….

Gotta think the teasers gonna be this and KC. Any getting blown up?!

Philly can beat the Saints and those types weekly. Run the ball, wear the clock.

Teasing all the dogs makes a ton of sense to me outside of Buffalo....even Cinci who I'm high on, I'd prefer to tease Raiders

I’m def teasing bucs under -3 a few times, won’t be with kc tho, prob one with niners and one with cards. Nothing against kc just rather have points if I can’t get under a fg.

Philly is a dominant rushing team vs. a team that you can't run against. Jalen can make big throws but he can't move the chain by chain. If Todd can't shut the Eagles down then TB has no chance. Bucs win this game by 30 if they had Godwin. They're easier to defend right now but should win easily.

Hill is not 100%. Chiefs basically lost to a Broncos team missing their entire secondary.

Brady Has Shown Games This Season Where He Is NOT On His Game...

Yea but you really wanna count on that in the playoffs? His track record kinda strong, lol. I have no idea with the potential for nasty weather here, that could kinda change things a lot, I’d say it has to favor eagles.

Philly is a dominant rushing team vs. a team that you can't run against. Jalen can make big throws but he can't move the chain by chain. If Todd can't shut the Eagles down then TB has no chance. Bucs win this game by 30 if they had Godwin. They're easier to defend right now but should win easily.

So what you're saying is, Birds by 10? I LIKE IT.

Sometimes you just have to say it out loud.

Tom Brady vs Jalen Hurts

In all seriousness, I think it has to be Bucs or pass in this game, not just for this reason but in part for this reason. There are two teams in the playoffs who are totally playing with house money and the Birds are one of them (I'd argue Pitt is the other). This was slated to be like a six win team and here they are in the post season. All of this, particularly playoff experience for Siriani, Hurts, and Smith, is gravy.

If your TB, you load up and make Hurts beat you. If he does, you tip your hat to him and expect that the Birds are going to get pretty good, pretty quick going forward. But what's more likely is that he makes some rookie mistakes, looks lost at times, and has the learning curve experience that the NFL playoffs are just different. Which will frustrate Eagles fans, but it's the way life is.

I come back to the same thing I've thought since I saw this was the matchup. Brady is going to be able to throw. That means he's going to put up points. And if you're a team that runs the ball better than you throw, I don't really see how you keep pace with that.

I disagree with the premise you can’t run on the Bucs. Their ypc against this year nothing too brag about. for the most part teams didn’t try to run on them, think they lived off reputation more than reality quite a bit this year.

The jets actually tried and ran for 150 few weeks ago, and it not like they had a potent run game this year! 26 attempts for a 5.76 average! Allen ran for over 100 which I’d think is significant considering what Hurts brings to the table. Singletary straight up gashed them on the 4 carries he got, lol. I don’t believe they anywhere close to the stone wall they were last season. I dunno if teams been scared to test them or they just saw the glaring weakness in the secondary and decided passing was the path of least resistance? Either way I think Philly gonna make them prove it and I’m not convinced bucs will shut it down.

All that said I’m certainly not saying I’m wanting to bet Philly, as I been saying bucs teasers feel golden, I just can’t see Brady losing. the weather does kinda change things tho, I’m holding out long as possible hoping the time line is wrong and storms are past and wind calms down a bit before kick. If they play in middle of heavy rain and wind that makes me lean eagles more so than I ever thought I would. Truth is Philly hasn’t beaten anyone good, only win they have vs team with winning record was saints and saints were decimated by covid that week!

I say a lot of conflicting points in my post! Birds have a great future with picks and cap space.

That the problem with most these WC games, I think most of us are smart enough to make a decent case for either side. I hate games that are so easy to do that!!!

Video above just amazes me how quick Brady processes shit in his mind

I mean it’s second nature to him but still

Anyone know which way this crazy wind gonna be blowing in relation to the stadium? Endzone to endzone or across the field? If it the latter I dunno if Brady be throwing anything but short, obviously that be easy to defend with no concern of anything over top!! No playoff Lenny and eagles run d is solid enough to hold a not great rushing attack in check. . I dunno bout this, could be bad for bucs: there no way Philly is sad bout it that for sure!!

Anyone know which way this crazy wind gonna be blowing in relation to the stadium? Endzone to endzone or across the field? If it the latter I dunno if Brady be throwing anything but short, obviously that be easy to defend with no concern of anything over top!! No playoff Lenny and eagles run d is solid enough to hold a not great rushing attack in check. . I dunno bout this, could be bad for bucs: there no way Philly is sad bout it that for sure!!

End zones are North/South; forecast is calling for west wind, so across the field.

End zones are North/South; forecast is calling for west wind, so across the field.

Wow. That a problem I would think., Brady under 272.5, wanna play hurts under also but shit his always low anyways. 192ish I think. Evans under 54.5 I think, he don’t run many short routes really. Prob gotta go Gronk over yards and Brate only 15.5, think he gets involved. Especially if throwing down field a issue is suspect we see lot of 2 te sets, old school Brady! Lol. Watkins usually don’t get much short other than a wr screen, him under 27.5 seems good. Gotta think bout under on smith.

I don’t play a lot of under props. Of course that cause I have more options, I have played a few on the stand alone prime time: I just don’t see any other way to play these?? Wish they had some receiving numbers up for Vaughn and I guess bell the other Bucs back? No Lenny or ROJO (I forgot he hurt too).

Back