Dunk Contest

SF_capper

CTG addict
701 Dwight Howard -120
702 Nate Robinson +500
703 Rudy Fernandez +300
704 Rudy Yag +500

really think there's value in Rudy Yag

Only dunker in the contest with the prototypical dunker's body (6'8ish, 220).
There's is only so much Nate/Dwight can do with their extreme's of body types- things they probably have already shown in their previous wins. Fernandez, no offense, but doesn't come across to me as a high flier fancy dunker. Only dunks I see him do are Sergio rodriguez lobs, and these aren't even spectacular. His jam over Dwight in olympics was nice, but again it wasn't fancy and was probably (correct me with link if I'm wrong) the best dunk of his life

Yag is the only one in the contest with something to prove as he lost last year (Dwight and Nate already have won it) (fernandez should be happy to get in)

getting +500 in value imo, but I'm gonna wait and hope for even more

thoughts?

dwight wont win b2b titles and nate had already done all his potential dunks. Yag got eliminated bad last year, he has smth to prove

what happened to rudy Yag?

i think dwight horward is gonna win this year with ease.

fernandez is a damn good player, but he can't really fly like these other guys. jr smith can do some nasty things, but he's not that smart, is a last minute addition and is not that popular. and nate has a lot of enemies after the last competition when he stole the title from igoudala, and took half an hour to complete that dunk.

Lets do this Dunk contest for big money...

And get the stars in it....

Take away the VC one back in day and its been about 21 years since we had a true dunk contest.

never a good idea to put too much cash on these type of events, but i'll definitely put a small-medium size bet on d-ho.

and ya he can win it 2 years in a row, this guy can do so many crazy dunks that we've never seen before and is the type of dude who actually takes the time to practice and co-ordinate this type of shit.

Lets do this Dunk contest for big money...

And get the stars in it....

Take away the VC one back in day and its been about 21 years since we had a true dunk contest.

The dunk comp was bullshit for a few years with the likes of nate and birdman anderson embarassing themselves and the league. but last years comp was damn good, thanks to dwight howard.

he'll put on another good show this year.

I think he's talking about big money for the players, to motivate them to compete. Not a big unit play on Howard to win.

Bron has to have close to a five foot vertical off his left leg. i don't see how that would be fair to the league or fun for LeBron. Maybe if they made him do it without his nikes?

There would be huge value in JR smith at now +650, HOWEVER

Just remember this shit in the finals is voted by the fans. Dwight Howard imo could just do backboarrd alley-oops like he does in games for his last 2 dunks and he'd still win over any of the 3. I'd imagine the second voting begins, even before the dunkers start, people aorund the world will be texting dwight howard. I would've laid the -125, but not at the -200 my book now has

Just remember this shit in the finals is voted by the fans. Dwight Howard imo could just do backboarrd alley-oops like he does in games for his last 2 dunks and he'd still win over any of the 3. I'd imagine the second voting begins, even before the dunkers start, people aorund the world will be texting dwight howard. I would've laid the -125, but not at the -200 my book now has

Wait, the judges don't decide the final round anymore?

isn't it the overall consensus that Jordan's battle was the best performance in dunk contest history?

Mamba's right. MJ was a revolutionary but Vince is the greatest.

If VC had half the heart of Kobe, he would have been on of the best to ever step foot on the court.

Still remember the reports out of the Sydney olympics that the US team had a 1:1 competitio, that was won convincingly by VC. Then he goes out and pulls the sickest dunk Ive ever seen in a game Over a 7ft frenchman.

If either one of the two cats in your avatar had Mamba's heart, they would have been all-time greats.

Still -125 at thegreek.

I bet it a few days ago at -120.

Unfortunately they aint nothing but a couple of selfish pussywholes.
I've never seen 2 more fragiles guys then them. VC can't take contact. And i'll never forget how T-mac took a week or 2 off when he was having emotional problems with his gf.

If either one of the two cats in your avatar had Mamba's heart, they would have been all-time greats.

Its funny seeing T-mac called out for his defense by Artest last week. McGrady was a helluva defender early in his career. His was so Pippen-esque it was scary.

The contest currently uses fan voting, via text-messaging, to determine the winner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slam_Dunk_Contest

interesting line movement on this one. JR started at +650 now +250 which is probably due to my theory of the "proper body" which the other contestants don't have. "smart money"/ big money pribably came down on JR. However, I'm going with my reasoning that if Dwight gets to the final round he wins because of the fan voting. LOL im gonna enjoy telling all my friends to text in dwight. CTG please text in Dwight as a winner. I got in to win a full unit on this one. so about 4/3 of a unit to win 1.
I think JR Smith will have the best dunk performance, but value is gone with him.

went with Bibby in the 3 pt contest. Unlike the dunk contest, there's no bias. I think kapono will win, but at even money thats ridiculous. Even if Kapono is a 70% shooter vs bibby's 50% shooter at +700 thats value cuz shooting percentages is a toss up. here is a "anything can happen" type of thing. So Bibby has edge on a value standpoint

fundamental standpoint, bibby has that one guy coachin him on proper 3 pt shootout form and thinking so eh. youtube it. Of course not as big. risking 1/6 of a unit for 1 1/6 unit

I'd like to see JR vs Rudy in final. I don't wanna watch a 7' center dunk on a 10 foot rim. Move it up to 11 for him than different story.

on JR Smith here, had Rose in the skills challenge, and sadly had Kapono in the 3 point, but if JR can pull it out, pick up a 1/2 unit of degenerate action!

Fuck these Phoenix Suns judges, giving Howard a 50 on that first dunk. Looks like the fix is in here. What a joke!

Hit Nate in the dunk contest and Cook in the 3 pt contest ...Howard being so graceful is his own worst enemy and you know the public loves an underdog like lil Nate ...entertaining though...

People are disappointed all around the forums but I liked it.

Rudy showed tribute to Fernando Martin, nice behind back pass off the board and a diagonal slam.

Rudy had a good idea with Pau but they kinda choked and took 10 tries to nail it, but when they did IMO it was a phenomenal dunk.

Howard was good as always.

JR Smith is explosive as fuck, love his energy and how he goes off, loved the double bounce, you need perfect timing for something like that, he did it first try I think.

Nate was good, deserved it IMO, although Dwight was fair for letting him jump over him.

All in all people are overdramatizing this I think, I enjoyed it, yeah there were better years but I liked it.

Love that Rudy showed skill

I still maintain that Nate Robinson has single-handedly ruined the dunk contest. They ROBBED I forget who in 2006 and gave it to Nate- remember all that judge collusion and bullshit- but that was one thing, fine, give him a token win bc he's so short, just like Webb. But he is now a two-time dunk champion? We went from MJ, and Dominique, and Vince, to Nate Robinson? A two-time champion?

This is a bad joke.

I should add that there's a light at the end of the tunnel though, because if LBJ does indeed compete next year, that will really revive it in a huge way.

I still maintain that Nate Robinson has single-handedly ruined the dunk contest. They ROBBED I forget who in 2006 and gave it to Nate- remember all that judge collusion and bullshit- but that was one thing, fine, give him a token win bc he's so short, just like Webb. But he is now a two-time dunk champion? We went from MJ, and Dominique, and Vince, to Nate Robinson? A two-time champion?

This is a bad joke.
Yeah your right. And the guy who got robbed not exactly sure but I believe it was Andre Ingudala.

ya it was igoudala.

and lebron said he will most likely compete next year.

that shit was funny when rudy pulled out the Martin jersey and the commentators that he was doing a tribute to ricky martin.

:36_11_6:

im still pissed i lost that bet in Iggy

he got so screwed

he was the first guy to do off the back of the backboard and underneath

and then nate robinson takes like 35 tries to do a simple dunk and they still give it to him

bullshit

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eKkVzaM-L_k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eKkVzaM-L_k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xWcrR7OcRRA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xWcrR7OcRRA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

it wasnt even close...and thats before you factor in that Iggy missed no dunks and Robinson took about 45 tries to do his

Nate wins on his stature alone because it looks sort of freakish to the casual observer . Guys like us understand how hard Howard's dunk was on a 12 foot rim. I dont have a problem with it because they made a high school popularity type contest and thats what it comes off IMO . Which to Stern's credit keeps the All Star weekend theme clean cut and it is a good message to send when the NBA was known for it thugs and baby's daddy (where Shawn Kemp at ?) not to long ago . I dont think anyone who watches hoops thinks Nate is the best dunker or leaper in the NBA...I loved Rudy Fernandez's dunk and thought it was the best and thought Howard's off the side of the glass dunk was a tad overrated considering it was him . The judging sucks though as guys just throw numbers up and its prettys insane you can bet on the dunk contest since there is no scoring criteria if you think about it ..

It's unlike the 3 pt contest which has a criteria that is equal for evryone which makes the slam dunk contest kinda of who gets the largest reaction in the final round ...

The best dunk would be seeing what JR Smith tried the behind the back no look slam BUT doing it on 2 hoops at once ......

Also rather then the SKILLS competition I would like to say a bunch of NBA PG's play 1 on 1 in some sort of contest ..

Back