Dunk Contest

Duds and KJ are way off on this one. I didn't watch it but know people that did, and unlike what usual happens, they didnt regret it at all. Saw the highlights on SC last night and looked like a great one

I have. It's boring. Even with great fucking dunks. And can't believe I'm wasting my energy even debating it.

In lehman's terms, to me it's more like a pageant than a competition, and I don't enjoy pageants

In terms of all star weekend I enjoy the the Saturday festivities more than anything the rest of the weekend. Hell I enjoy it more than the whole nba season sans the playoffs

What was wild about the final round was each dunk was being made on the first try. No misses, just fire.
and the fact that it went past the first two dunks forced those guys to get creative. I heard LaVine's last dunk between the legs from the FT line was the first time he had tried it. just sick.

In lehman's terms, to me it's more like a pageant than a competition, and I don't enjoy pageants

Well yes obviously. It's supposed to be entertainment. It's gotten more "friendly" over the years because sports have just become that way. All these athletes are 100% exposed now and you can see all their buddy buddy relationships and see how the collude to join each other on teams. Times change. It doesn't mean the product is disappointing. Yesterday was the first time I was actually excited for the complete 3 hours. They've tinkered with the rules of each contest and hit gold yesterday.

Fine, but don't you see the value in actually making an unsuccessful attempt actually detract from the score? Bring the competition back...it will always be judging and up for debate as to the winner, but the risk/reward aspect is sorely missed, maybe just by me and my circle of friends. But it's missed.

I don't think NBAFan or anyone was saying improvements can't be made. I would have no problem with making the highest possible score a 9 if you miss your first 2 attempts

Fine, but don't you see the value in actually making an unsuccessful attempt actually detract from the score? Bring the competition back...it will always be judging and up for debate as to the winner, but the risk/reward aspect is sorely missed, maybe just by me and my circle of friends. But it's missed.

Shaq deducted a point if the dunk wasn't done on the first try. He even said that's the reason he gave a 9. Every judge is different and yesterday's group was the most "modern" group I've seen.

I already said what I think they should do. Get rid of the 1-10 scale in the final round. It serves ZERO purpose. Two guys left. Let them do two-three dunks. One after the other. Then repeat twice. Let the judges vote on who was better. The numbers are pointless. Last night the judges were just forced to keep giving 50s because the guys kept one upping each other by incorporating something different.

The problems with this are what if the judges can't decide, what do they do?.... And this takes away the possibility of a dunk off.

The league has made slight adjustments every year and I think they're doing a good job.

Another issue is that since its on Saturday night, a lot of people are out and about as long as it's not 0 degrees outside like it was in the tri state area. This has an impact on whos watching or who's interested.

Here's Gordon and Levine's dunks. A lot of people like the over the mascot dunk by Gordon, which was crazy, but I liked the one with the mascot going around because of how Gordon handled the ball. At the 1:38 mark of the replay so many people would fumble that ball grabbing it with one hand.

[video=youtube;ifHc9fTXvTo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifHc9fTXvTo[/video]

Just saw it, thanks cogenman!

How the hell did Gordon not win?? Both guys dunks were great, no doubt, but Gordon was robbed if he did not win!!

The best part of these contests are the guys/players sitting on the front row, stand up/holding each other back after ever move. Anyone know why they do this?

Top 3 dunk contest of all time, those dunks were amazing and I usually dont love the dunk contest. I thought theres no way it can compare to '88, those MJ ones I watched as a kid are what I alwys compare others to, and it easily compares. Might even beat it. Levines "behind the back while in the air then one handed reverse dunks it" was so damn sick, and don't see anyone talk about that one. So many amazing dunks in one contest, you don't get to see that too often.

I think they need to change the scoring system though...

Just saw it, thanks cogenman!

How the hell did Gordon not win?? Both guys dunks were great, no doubt, but Gordon was robbed if he did not win!!

The best part of these contests are the guys/players sitting on the front row, stand up/holding each other back after ever move. Anyone know why they do this?

Lol, when we get an answer to that question, maybe we can tackle why black people talk in movie theaters during movies too.

:cigarguy:

Gordon made the mistake of not closing with his best dunk.

What strikes me is the off the charts athleticism on display. In 88 MJ and Dominique were probably the 2 most athletic players in the league but they can't touch LaVine and Gordon.

Back