Donaghy tells Feds Game 6 was fixed by league

Thing is, you're going to have to really look for info on this and have reporters that actually want to do the work, because ESPN has a vested interest in sweeping this thing under the rug.

Gotta wonder how much interest reporters have in this when the writer of the story didn't even take the time to pinpoint the right 2002 series.

I feel Congress has no business going as far as they are on the steroid issue. I mean after spending millions and millions of TAXPAYERS dollars, what did we really find out??? That Barry Bonds did roids, that Roger Clemens did roids and liked cheating on his wife??? Please. We could have payed Jose Canseco 100 bucks and a Value Meal and gotten the same information. Hell I bet we could have payed his far less talented younger brother half that and got the same information. This whole thing is nothing more than Congress and the Govt. getting involved in a hot button issue that could get their names in the spotlight and bring down some big names in the process.

As far the NFL and NBA, I think they are different animals. As Joe stated with the NFL having the exemption status it makes more sense for the Govt. to intervene to me than with MLB. I mean they wouldn't let McDonald's or Apple get away with something as relatively serious in their corporations, so I wouldn't expect the Govt. to let the NFL get away with it.

I don't know why the NBA is not getting more press than it has. When the story broke last summer, I thought for sure this would be THE TOPIC for a long time. However they have locked Donaghy up and Stern gave us usual lame statement and it just seems like everybody shook their head and said "good enough for me Mr. Stern."This thing stinks something awful and I feel that if Congress,News media, whom ever would really wrap their arms around this one as they have steroids in MLB the general public would probably never look at sports the same way again.

But at the end of the day at least we know Roger Clemens liked laying pipe to 15 year old girls, so taxpayers money well spent if you ask me:tiphat:

Gotta wonder how much interest reporters have in this when the writer of the story didn't even take the time to pinpoint the right 2002 series.

That's the other problem. I mean, what the hell is Stephen A. Smith really going to say, "holy f**k, this league is co-rupt with a capital K." Of course not. You've got beat writers who would basically be out of a job if the NBA lost its luster, and news organizations who've cut back to the point where the money isn't there to follow the story like it needs to be so . . .

and people continue to argue the point that large conspiracies can't exist because if so many people were in on something, it'd somehow have to come out.

well, guess what, 100s of people are in on this NBA conspiracy, 1 came out, and what's happening to the conspirators and their ongoing fraudulent sporting activities? n-o-t-h-i-n-g

Another great example which just underscores that the reason more people don't talk is because the golden goose can be taken away--at least from them--so quickly.

Jeff Van Gundy, who I really like. ESPN throws it to him and says, 'hey, Jeff, so Donoghe (sp?) confirms that in a Mavs/Rockets playoff series, the NBA called the officials and told them to clamp down on Yao after you guys were up 2-0 in the series because the Mavs were complaining. In that series, you were fined $100,000 by the league for complaining about the officiating and saying that a ref told you they were targeting Yao, now how do you feel?'

Again, I like Van Gundy, but what can the guy really say? He's sitting there broadcasting an NBA game--hell, he's broadcasting the NBA Finals for f**k's sake.

Is he really going to say, 'see, you see, I was right, we were f**ked, I was told so, and not only was I called a liar, I was fined more than many people in this country will make in a year. I'd like an apology from the league and I'd like my $100,000 back, preferably with interest.'

Yeah, it'd be nice, but not a f**king chance, because you and I both know the guy'd never sniff announcing another NBA Playoff or Finals game, nor would he ever coach in the league again.

So, what's he say?

He makes sure to really distance himself from Donowhatever, then argue for more transparency on the part of the league. A noble argument to be sure, but the truth is, here is another person who can prove that this went on, and he not only doesn't comment on it, there's not even a follow up about it.

It's funny--in a sad way--because just tonight I saw a Constitutional scholar on TV tonight talking about Dennis Kuchinich's Articles of Impeachment that were brought to Congress yesterday. And this guy was saying, look, at this point, you actually have to work to avoid talking about the numerous illegal things this administration has done to the Constitution and what worries him almost as much as the acts themselves is that nobody seems to care. Nobody is speaking out, nobody is being held accountable, and we're all just sort of sticking our heads in the sand.

Sad, isn't it, how things like that just trickle down. Because it's basically the same argument only, for whatever reason, it's like far too many people, just refuse to even discuss it.

Another great example which just underscores that the reason more people don't talk is because the golden goose can be taken away--at least from them--so quickly.

Jeff Van Gundy, who I really like. ESPN throws it to him and says, 'hey, Jeff, so Donoghe (sp?) confirms that in a Mavs/Rockets playoff series, the NBA called the officials and told them to clamp down on Yao after you guys were up 2-0 in the series because the Mavs were complaining. In that series, you were fined $100,000 by the league for complaining about the officiating and saying that a ref told you they were targeting Yao, now how do you feel?'

Again, I like Van Gundy, but what can the guy really say? He's sitting there broadcasting an NBA game--hell, he's broadcasting the NBA Finals for f**k's sake.

Is he really going to say, 'see, you see, I was right, we were f**ked, I was told so, and not only was I called a liar, I was fined more than many people in this country will make in a year. I'd like an apology from the league and I'd like my $100,000 back, preferably with interest.'

Yeah, it'd be nice, but not a f**king chance, because you and I both know the guy'd never sniff announcing another NBA Playoff or Finals game, nor would he ever coach in the league again.

So, what's he say?

He makes sure to really distance himself from Donowhatever, then argue for more transparency on the part of the league. A noble argument to be sure, but the truth is, here is another person who can prove that this went on, and he not only doesn't comment on it, there's not even a follow up about it.

It's funny--in a sad way--because just tonight I saw a Constitutional scholar on TV tonight talking about Dennis Kuchinich's Articles of Impeachment that were brought to Congress yesterday. And this guy was saying, look, at this point, you actually have to work to avoid talking about the numerous illegal things this administration has done to the Constitution and what worries him almost as much as the acts themselves is that nobody seems to care. Nobody is speaking out, nobody is being held accountable, and we're all just sort of sticking our heads in the sand.

Sad, isn't it, how things like that just trickle down. Because it's basically the same argument only, for whatever reason, it's like far too many people, just refuse to even discuss it.

Oh for fucksake, joe. You can't be that dense. Name one, just one fucking unconstitutional/illegal thing this president has done. Something, anything, that rises to the level of high crimes and misdemeanors. You'd make a better case charging Kookcinich or Nancy Pelosi with lending aid and comfort to the enemy on charges of treason. Again, good fucking grief.

And, under the Commerce Clause, Congress has every right to investigate the NBA.

So, what's he say?

ummmmm really reaching with the GW part of that post. lets keep it to baskets in here , or kobe bryant rape charges.

ummmmm really reaching with the GW part of that post. lets keep it to baskets in here , or kobe bryant rape charges.

No, you're right, I'm not trying to open it up to a much larger thing, just remarking that it was interesting that a very similar thing happened just today.

The truth in this thing (with the NBA) is that not only is this thing bigger than they want us to believe--proven by the simple fact that every time this ref opens his mouth we get another one of these stories--but that, as Brewer says, the party line is that there's nothing to see here and that we should go immediately back to buying $200 jerseys and $12 arena beers.

Funny, that was the exact same f**king argument used by the NFL.

No, you're right, I'm not trying to open it up to a much larger thing, just remarking that it was interesting that a very similar thing happened just today.

The truth in this thing (with the NBA) is that not only is this thing bigger than they want us to believe--proven by the simple fact that every time this ref opens his mouth we get another one of these stories--but that, as Brewer says, the party line is that there's nothing to see here and that we should go immediately back to buying $200 jerseys and $12 arena beers.

Funny, that was the exact same f**king argument used by the NFL.

Unreal. It's going to be tough to take you seriously after that.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but it's just an observation that it's unreal how EVERY FUCKING SECTION SEEMS TO END UP WITH SOMEONE MAKING A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN SOMEONE HAVING TO COME IN AND MAKE AN OPPOSITE POLITICAL STATEMENT.

DO ALL OF US THAT DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO READ ABOUT FUCKING OBAMA OR BUSH OR MCLAIN OR WHO THE FUCK EVER A FAVOR AND KEEP THIS SHIT IN THE GD, PLEASE...

FUCK.

:shake:

I bet on the Lakers ML tonight because I knew that Stern would not allow the Celtics to go up 3-0.

The Celtics are a much better team than the Lakers and thus were able to cover the large 9 point spread but that was ok for Stern. The only directive to the referees tonight was to make sure that Boston lost!

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but it's just an observation that it's unreal how EVERY FUCKING SECTION SEEMS TO END UP WITH SOMEONE MAKING A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN SOMEONE HAVING TO COME IN AND MAKE AN OPPOSITE POLITICAL STATEMENT.

DO ALL OF US THAT DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO READ ABOUT FUCKING OBAMA OR BUSH OR MCLAIN OR WHO THE FUCK EVER A FAVOR AND KEEP THIS SHIT IN THE GD, PLEASE...

FUCK.

:shake:

They are infiltrating the NBA Forum now. :seeya:

EVERY FUCKING SECTION SEEMS TO END UP WITH SOMEONE MAKING A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN SOMEONE HAVING TO COME IN AND MAKE AN OPPOSITE POLITICAL STATEMENT.

Yeah, I apologize for that one, this one was my fault. Sorry guys.

the glossing over of this shit by ESPN is sickening

they have zero credibility if they dont do some due dilligence on this

they just completely brushed it off on the postgame show

i knew donaghy a little bit...he was an asshole and an egomaniac, but i dont think hes lying about these accusations...he really doesnt have much to gain and is in no position to go spouting off lies

I agree, Smokedawg. He's not getting himself any better a deal, and he is putting himself in potential harms way once he gets out.

My guess is in his egotism he's pissed and he's determined he's not going down alone. The sour-grapes kind of egotist, loyal-less to those who he was in cahoots with.

they have zero credibility if they dont do some due dilligence on this

Well, did they do any due diligence on the Pats' cheating thing?

You know, I just don't want you to get your hopes up too much.

For the record, I'm not sure what he gets out of singing like this either other than, as Bet says, the ability to maybe not go down alone.

Because right now they're making this guy the lone gunman.

Which, of course, it always is.

Thing is, you're going to have to really look for info on this and have reporters that actually want to do the work, because ESPN has a vested interest in sweeping this thing under the rug.

YES!!!!!! The mainstream media is also making money off the success of the NBA so they will not rock the boat with an investigation!

This is a real opportunity for a journalist not affiliated with the NBA to investigate and become famous! It will take years of painstaking interviews and gathering data but it would make a person's career!

holy crap I just watched a sports show showing replays of the infamous Sac-LA series..dammit!! Kobe elbowed Mike Bibby in the mouth infront of the ref while trying to get the ball at the baseline!!! The ref literally swallowed his whistle!!!

holy crap I just watched a sports show showing replays of the infamous Sac-LA series..dammit!! Kobe elbowed Mike Bibby in the mouth infront of the ref while trying to get the ball at the baseline!!! The ref literally swallowed his whistle!!!

yup one of , if not THE ( raiders-patriots ? ) worst officiated game that i can remember.

Really good article, apolus. Thanks for posting it.

This guy sounds like a complete hybrid of about three people on the board, too. His hatred for the Suns & Shaq trade (Red), his disgust at clock management (Vanzack), and his bewilderment at how Doc Rivers is considered a good coach (um, pretty much all of us).

Oh, and for the record, not that this writer or interviewee will ever see this, but things to not "jive" together. They "jibe" together.

Host of the Fox radio show brings up the ECF in 2001.

Steve Czaban (I belive he's known in Milw for being on the bob and bryan show), lead Host of the First Team on Fox's national daily radio show in the morning claiimed there was a bigger fix than the Kings/Lakers fix. In my head I'm thinking, 2001 ECF, but there's no way that's what he's talking about.

He goes on to say, the Bucks/Sixers 2001 ECF was a huge fix. Goes on to point to all the stats.

48 more personal fouls called on Bucks during the series

11 technicals for Bucks, 2 technicals for Sixers

5 flagrant fouls on Bucks, none on Sixers

Scott Williams getting removed from game 7 for questionable flagrant fould call

Bucks shot only 3 free throws in one of the games

Dikembe Mutombo, who avearaged something like 6 free throws/game through six games got 19 free throws in game 7

Philly 6th biggest tv market, bucks 30th (or 39th)

Ray Allens take
"I think there's no question about that. The league, as a marketing machine, the bottom line is about making money," Allen said. "It behooves everybody for the league to make more money, and the league knows that Philadelphia is going to make more money with L.A. than we would with L.A."

That Bucks series was the 2nd worst one I have ever watched besides the Lakers/Kings one

Stern: NBA referees don’t manipulate games

By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP)—Not perfect, but not crooked. NBA referees are honest, and so are their mistakes.
And just to prove it, the league will go back and re-interview every single official about Tim Donaghy’s latest allegations of rigged playoff series in 2002 and 2005.

That was the message from NBA commissioner David Stern, who came to the defense of his beleaguered referees again Thursday, saying they don’t manipulate games or engage in other criminal activity.

“Our officials try very hard with complete integrity and honesty to referee perfect games,” Stern said. “That they fail in, that makes them human, but not objects of the kind of ridicule and scorn to which they have been unfairly subjected for the last three days.”

Speaking to the media at an NBA finals that has been increasingly overshadowed by the Donaghy scandal, the commissioner said Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference finals might have been officiated poorly, but honestly and not illegally.

<SCRIPT language=javascript>if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['BkdnD9GDJH0-']='&U=13eqsjfj9%2fN%3dBkdnD9GDJH0-%2fC%3d663052.12687250.12999907.1323516%2fD%3dSKY%2fB%3d5357110%2fV%3d1';</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>
b
</NOSCRIPT>
“On behalf of my officials, I’d like to tell you that they don’t engage in the criminal conduct of which Mr. Donaghy has accused them of,” Stern said.
Donaghy claimed this week in a court filing that two “company men” worked that game, in which the Los Angeles Lakers used a huge free-throw advantage in the fourth quarter to avoid elimination against Sacramento.

“The allegations about that are incorrect,” Stern said. “Not true.”
He said he felt “disconcerted” for Boston and Los Angeles players in the finals, and especially the officials—usually prevented from speaking on their own behalf because of league rules—who have to “defend themselves against allegations by one of their fallen brethren.”

So Stern took up the defense for them, calling a press conference that began a half hour before Game 4. He has spoken to the media before the last three games—the last two specifically to respond to Donaghy’s allegations.

Stern acknowledged the FBI investigation into Donaghy’s claims did include questions about Dick Bavetta, one of the officials who worked the ‘02 Game 6, but reiterated the message he has repeated for a year, saying, “the only person now being sentenced for a crime is Mr. Donaghy.”
The 41-year-old Donaghy has admitted to betting on games he officiated, taking cash payments from associates and providing them information to win their bets.

Scheduled to be sentenced next month, Donaghy’s making the league very uncomfortable in the meantime.

His latest accusations—that the league gave special treatment to star players and sought to extend series for better ratings, and that some officials enjoyed special relationships with players—have reignited suspicions of league conspiracies.

Because of that, Stern said referees, already interviewed as part of a separate investigation Stern had conducted by former federal prosecutor Lawrence Pedowitz, will be talked to again so their defense can be clear.
“In light of the media coverage here, we will go back and prospectively ask the questions of officials in effect again with respect to specific acts,” Stern said, “even though they’ve all been interviewed, so that I could sit here in front of you, really on behalf of our officials, who don’t engage with you on a regular basis, to say, ‘No, no, no, a thousand times no.”’

Though the Pedowitz interviews were completed months ago, the league won’t release the report until Donaghy is sentenced, with hopes he would agree to meet with the investigators.

Besides the 2002 game, Donaghy raised allegations of a 2005 series between Dallas and Houston, when then-Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said he heard referees were instructed to closely watch his center, Yao Ming, after the Rockets had won the first two games. The Mavericks rebounded to win the series.

This postseason has included its own share of controversial moments. The league acknowledged a foul should have been called on the final play of Game 4 of the West finals, which would have given San Antonio two free throws and a chance to tie the game, and perhaps the series, with the Lakers.

In Game 2 of the finals, the Celtics enjoyed a 38-10 advantage in free throw attempts. Lakers coach Phil Jackson later pushed the idea that a separate entity, rather than the league office, oversee the referees.
Stern rejected that idea, saying officials in all major leagues report to their commissioner. He said referees get about 90 percent of the calls right— and none of the ones that are missed are done for any illegal reason.
“I think it’s important to sit here and say to you that the accusations that we manipulate games that then get reported on … the facts underlying those, they’re false,” Stern said. “We don’t. And if you’d like me to repeat it again, I will tell you that we don’t.”

Because of that, Stern said referees, ... will be talked to again so their defense can be clear.

Yeah, because these new allegations have come out, we'll go back to our refs to make sure they have their defense stories absolutely fucking clear, so everyone is on the same page without a doubt:36_11_6:

Video footage from 2002's Lakers vs. Kings Game 6 mysteriously disappeared from YouTube on Thursday.

David Stern said Thursday night that there is no truth to Tim Donaghy's claims that the fix was in for that game. "We could go back and look at it," he said. "My guess is it won't be pretty, but it won't be dishonest and it won't be illegal." According to a New York Daily News poll, 91% of fans believe Donaghy's accusations. And now that the video evidence from Game 6 has vanished from the web, conspiracy theories will probably only gain more steam. "We do not comment on individual videos or video sets," a YouTube spokesperson said.

http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/1010694.html

Video footage from 2002's Lakers vs. Kings Game 6 mysteriously disappeared from YouTube on Thursday.

David Stern said Thursday night that there is no truth to Tim Donaghy's claims that the fix was in for that game. "We could go back and look at it," he said. "My guess is it won't be pretty, but it won't be dishonest and it won't be illegal." According to a New York Daily News poll, 91% of fans believe Donaghy's accusations. And now that the video evidence from Game 6 has vanished from the web, conspiracy theories will probably only gain more steam. "We do not comment on individual videos or video sets," a YouTube spokesperson said.

[URL="http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/1010694.html"]http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/1010694.html[/URL]

R U fucking kidding me?

The video disapearred from youtube? How powerful is Mr. Stern, jeebus.

I was a Kings fan then...cuz of Webber obviously. That game there was soooo obvious....come on...unreal

Back