Do the Rams want to lose?

vegasvice

The Rams are tied with the Saints (and possibly the Panthers). They currently are the #3 seed but have to win on Sunday to keep that seed if Saints or Panthers win. They are only favored over SF by 4. Their first round opponent will likely be Atlanta or Seattle if they stay #3, but in the next round, they would have to go to Minnesota. If they are the #4 seed, they go to Philadelphia. Right now, I would rather face Philadelphia with Foles than Minnesota in their home stadium. Anyone have any thoughts on whether the Rams would rather lose and face Philly if they get by the first round?

NFL does re-seed so in that scenario if the 6 beats the 3, the 4 would still go to Minnesota...not sure if the divisional round is where teams are looking...can understand looking to the WC round a bit

Good question because Rams have more advantages vs Eagles. They struggled nightly vs Vikings.
The only thing I can guarantee is this. It's not in McVays nature to let up. He does not want to lose to a divisional opponent at home either. I expect they will sit key veterans to heal up but does that mean they come out in the 3rd qrtr or are they inactive? I expect they come out to knock out SF early so they can get them out.

They don't control who they play in the next round if they finish 4th, they would only hope to play Philly if they actually beat the 5 seed

It's really that simple.

They don't control who they play in the next round if they finish 4th, they would only hope to play Philly if they actually beat the 5 seed

It's really that simple.
Actually, they do control who they play. If they beat the fifth seed they play Philadelphia. It is really that simple.

If Philly or Minny get beat, then the Rams will need to play a team that is going well enough to beat Philly or Minny at home. Either way, 3 or 4, they will still need to beat teams better then them on the road. If they worry about who they are playing they don't deserve to be there

Actually, they do control who they play. If they beat the fifth seed they play Philadelphia. It is really that simple.
They re-seed in the NFL. If the 6 seed beats the 3 seed, the 6 seed plays Philadelphia. That's how they do it.

If Philly or Minny get beat, then the Rams will need to play a team that is going well enough to beat Philly or Minny at home. Either way, 3 or 4, they will still need to beat teams better then them on the road. If they worry about who they are playing they don't deserve to be there
Let's not be too naive

if the rams want to lose to get philly, I say bring it. Obviously any team can beat us with Foles playing qb, but if the Rams are so sure they are going to roll, they are obviously not considering that they are a warm weather team traveling to a very hostile environment in what will likely be 20 degree freezing weather. Philly has a good run d and will stack 8 in the box and dare goff to beat them. If he does, great for him, but as an eagles fan, I would be completely fine with this matchup

You would seriously feel ok with letting Goff beat you? Eagles totally beatable at home even vs a warm-weather team. I mean guys from Cali aren't aliens they've all played in the cold before

News is out. The Rams are sitting Goff, Gurley, Aaron Donald Andrew Whitworth and John Sullivan.

Manion will be starting at QB and Malcolm Brown will be the running back

You would seriously feel ok with letting Goff beat you? Eagles totally beatable at home even vs a warm-weather team. I mean guys from Cali aren't aliens they've all played in the cold before

I mean, it is never easy winning a playoff game for either side, especially on the road. So if, as an Eagles fan, I got to pick whether we play the QB of the NFC super bowl team last year, the qb of the NFC super bowl team the year before that, a future HOF'er, or a 2nd year player who is in the first year he has looked decent, has played most of his college and pro games in warm weather, and has never played in an environment half as hostile as Philly will be that day....yeah its a no-brainer

Back