Diamondbacks vs Cardinals Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Cards Have the Antidote for Diamondback Bite in ESPN Finale

Arizona and St. Louis close a three-game series at 10 ET on ESPN. Arizona looks like a false favorite at home.

St. Louis Cardinals (43-41) vs Arizona Diamondbacks (48-38)

MLB Pick: St. Louis ML +135

Miles Mikolas (8-3, 2.61 ERA) is enjoying strong form for St. Louis, allowing three runs or fewer in five of his last six starts. He has yet to lose a decision away from home, where he’s 4-0. St. Louis is 6-2 (+3.9 units) in his road starts.

Mikolas’ fastball and sinker average 94-95 mph. He tends to start batters off with either pitch, elevating both in the strike zone. He keeps their release points similar to mask which pitch is approaching batters. This deception is useful because he keeps both pitches sufficiently unique thanks to his sinker’s stronger arm-side movement. The other half of his arsenal features a slider and curveball, which are effective because they create a change of pace and because he concentrates them in the lowest region of the zone. His curveball creates a 16 mph velocity differential with his fastball, in addition to the change of eye level by its location. Opponents bat .182 against the slider and .209 against the curve.

His sinker and slider evince betting significance because in his worst games, the opponent slugged them well. The Diamondbacks rank in the bottom half (19th) in slugging against the sinker and slider from righties, 23rd overall, and 19th in the past month at home. The two teams against which Mikolas struggled in every outing, Philadelphia and San Diego, rank in the top 10 in average exit velocity against those two pitches. The D’backs rank 27th.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Patrick Corbin (6-3, 3.14 ERA) counters for Arizona. The southpaw has lost three consecutive home decisions. The betting market doesn’t adjust for form. So he is still heavily favored despite not winning a home start since April 22.

Corbin relies primarily on a slider-sinker combo and emphasizes a fastball or curveball more or less often depending on his opponent. He likes to vary his fastball location, which induces a mixture of ground and fly balls. Conversely, he tends to keep his sinker and slider low to induce grounders. The slider is generally a put-away pitch. But Corbin features his with over 40% frequency against left-handed hitters when the count is even, the batter ahead or as a first pitch. He is confident enough in his sinker and slider to emphasize them against right-handed batters, who have mustered four doubles against 492 sinkers and sliders. They're a combined 4-for-63 against the sinker and slider in the two most bottom-left spots of the zone, but only an eighth of his sinkers and sliders land there.

In the past six weeks, Corbin was hit hard by the Mets and Reds. Both rank in the top 10 in slugging against his three most frequent pitches, the sinker, slider, and fastball, thrown by lefties. The Cards rank 5th. According to metrics, the Cards are strongly underachieving against Corbin’s top two pitches. They are enjoying progression, ranking rank fourth against the sinker and slider from lefties in the past month and eighth away from home.

St. Louis righties rank 9th in slugging and first in average exit velocity against the sinker and slider from lefties away. Corbin, despite his limited fastball usage and usage instead of pitches rather correlated with soft contact, has been allowing a high rate of hard contact lately, which is bad news against a Cards lineup that is relatively dependent on hitting homers. Look out for Jose Martinez and Yadier Molina, who are slugging over .500 in their past seven days. Marcell Ozuna bats .302 against lefties.

The Cards’ pen enjoys new life, boasting the fourth-best FIP in the past 14 days. Greg Holland hasn’t allowed an earned run in seven post-DL outings. Its top two relievers, Jordan Hicks and Bud Norris, are fresh, whereas Arizona will likely have to do without Archie Bradley.

Arizona has lost six of seven at home. St. Louis will make it seven of eight.

Was initially tempted by the under but upon deeper look I see much greater value with the dog. I like finding value with teams who do better on the road at a struggling home team and I like the match-up.

Also in play is a late game and Cards have to play in SF tomorrow night so gotta hit the airport late night, I'd expect a quickish game

Mikolas, 29, has been perhaps the most pleasant surprise in the major leagues this season, signing with the Cardinals over the winter after three strong seasons for the Yomiuri Giants in the Japanese Central League. He was 3-13 with a 2.18 ERA in 62 starts in Japan after being released by Texas in November 2014.Mikolas has made 11 quality starts, tied for fourth in the league. After starting the season 6-0, he has lost three of his five decisions in June despite posting five quality starts and giving up one earned run in two of his losses.
Mikolas and Corbin are tied for second in the league in WHIP (0.99). Mikolas is sixth and Corbin ninth in ERA and innings pitched, and Mikolas is seventh and Corbin ninth in WAR.
Each has one of the five shutouts thrown in the NL this season. Washington's Max Scherzer, Pittsburgh's Jameson Taillon and Atlanta's Mike Foltynewicz have the others.
Corbin, 6-3 with a 3.14 ERA, has made two straight quality starts, giving up only one run and in 13 innings, but did not receive a decision in either game. He had extra rest the last time through the rotation after pitching seven scoreless innings while striking out 12 in a no-decision at Pittsburgh, when he threw a season-high 102 pitches. He gave up one run in six innings against San Francisco on Friday, pitching on six days' rest.
Corbin has received 3.65 runs per start, tied for the third fewest in the league. He is 1-1 with a 4.50 ERA in four career starts against St. Louis and is 4-3 with a 3.69 ERA in 10 starts at home this sesaon.
Mikolas, who spent previous major league seasons with San Diego and Texas, has never started against Arizona and has given one run in 4 1/3 innings in two career relief appearances, a Justin Upton homer in 2012. This will be his first appearance at Chase Field.

If I have the energy I like to write about the play I like that I don‘t think people are as likely to think of. Nobody needs me to think of the under, they‘ll just look at each pitcher‘s ERA and think of it

It's 56/44 on Dbacks and line has moved accordingly up, I wouldn't simply just try to fade your perception of what people are thinking. That's a recipe for disaster. Wouldn't say many bet on ERA lol....gonna guess over will be wagered but who fukkkn cares about that, especially this time of year? It's the dog days

Hell I don't even know the ump and I'd be on under....that said haven't touched a bb game in a while. Just my thoughts.

Not fading the under at all. I just meant that I coulda easily written an article on the under in a jiffy but felt like looking deeper and found a play I like more.

Ok, you want positive feedback. That's what I'm offering....you go in depth (way to much for me but I'm situational, not black n white stats that tell past tales, more prefer to predict the future) as I never think the past predicts today. Ever.

You seem to try so hard to fade the public (in this case that's not even really true) in an effort to be on the unpopular side, that's just not healthy imo. Sure the Cards could win, but the line has moved (actually more than it should given fairly level betting) in AZ favor....just a difference I will always have with stats geeks. The goal is to predict today, not analyze yesterday or other idiots. ME. It's done ok at times, not so much other times.

And blame the UMPS when it goes south

I appreciate criticism as well. I just meant that I didn‘t not choose under because I wanted to be more contrarian, as you said. I had just meant that the under woulda made for the simplest article

I don‘t hold much stock in line movement unless its sharp steam from pinnacle.

I generally think outside the box, a big reason why not many people like me in life, but i‘ve gone with the „obvious“ play often enough. I just want to provide interesting and intelligent content.

Personally I am situational as well. My biggest play this year I think was fading Oregon in the bowl game with players pissed about Taggart leaving and last year fading Indiana when it passed up a home game and so had to play at sold out G Tech.

I disagree about the past. If you can find a logical reason explaining certain tendiencies and statistics, then they have predictive value. A big example of this that I see others do is fade pitchers whose spin rate suddenly drops. The value-heavy thing would be to keep fading that pitcher until you lose doing so. And you will lose eventually because you can‘t see him train in between starts and see if he‘s worked out his mechanics or whatever. But ultimately you‘ll have profited.

I kinda hope they try to pitch Archie a third time. But Cards pen been so much better lately, I disagree that Dbacks have an advantsge there

Hicks can kinda implode but he usually has some starts in between doing so and hes probs our top guy. Then Holland an inning whos been solid after DL and Norris for the save

Top 5 can be risky too what if Corbin breaks down in the 6th when he gets taken out or Mikolas has a bad second inning

I mean home runs are correlated with hard contact. In Corbin's games where he's allowing homers he got hit harder, which has been happening to him lately. The Cards are very dependent on power and I think they can lead with eventually one or even two dingers against him and hold the fort with bullpen.

If I see both total and spread being close, i‘m gonna go with the big + instead of chalk.

My solution has been to sell a half or full run on the total. My buddy BiffT (he post here some but keeps a thread on sbr) kinda gave me the idea for this selling runs on totals idea this year and I have had a ton of success with it! Used to be I would often pass on a total cause I won’t pay over 15 cents on one but this strategy has brought a lot more totals into play for me and honestly hasn’t really cost me much if any losses, a couple pushes that would have cashed on the posted total but I’m sure the plus money I’m getting has more than made up for those!!!

I been seriously considering selling this one down to u7 but also agree with you on cards side. Really don’t understand why we still rank so low hitting lefties as this lineup appears tailor made to have success vs southpaws. Freaking ozuna needs to get back going, mfer had that one stretch where it appeared he was finally putting it together but since mid June he been back to stinking up the joint with lack of power numbers. He missed a absolute meatball from greinke yesterday, I mean I could have given that pitch a ride and he hit a lazy fly ball!!! Kinda waiting on lineup to decide if I go cards or under.

I mean home runs are correlated with hard contact. In Corbin's games where he's allowing homers he got hit harder, which has been happening to him lately. The Cards are very dependent on power and I think they can lead with eventually one or even two dingers against him and hold the fort with bullpen.

Everything you saying points rather strongly to the under.

Would like to see O’Neal back in the lineup. We really need dejung to get his ass back up here! We could desperately use his bat in the middle of this lineup!! I hear he very close.

I can imagine this being like a 2-1 Dbacks lead thru 5 then we pop Corbin (more power from Yadi?) and get the swing and win like 4-2

And yes KJ i do blame the umps. My German professor made me aware of this that I never accept responsibility for my actions. One of my many faults. Probably inherited this one in Germany lol

And yes KJ i do blame the umps. My German professor made me aware of this that I never accept responsibility for my actions. One of my many faults. Probably inherited this one in Germany lol
Women love men who accept responsibility for poor choices and remediate them. And a good railing.

Blaming you if it loses lmao

Lol. I guess that’s fair??

Really like the 1st 5 under in the stros/rangers game. Cole been lights out at Arlington and with this ump. Think Minor can hold up for 5 innings vs stros, after that the wheels might fall off but pretty confident this a pitchers duel early on.

Uh oh. The ole public underdoggie
What's funny is when you call a woman a cunt, she wants to throw everything at you

When you call out a contrarian for being "public", they want to murder you

Priorities, we still love the cunts at the end of the day

And I really hope Darwinism will solve this issue

Some women really are cunts! But just because they get defensive doesn‘t prove your case any more

Back