Demarco Murray out for the National Title Game

booksbestfriend

On Johnny's Shitlist
Where does this take you on your National Title game decision? I for one was looking for a middle, but without Murray, this just does not seem very attractive. Sure Brown is a good back, and the 3rd string is decent. But the dropoff is too significant.

Other running backs are very very good and OU always recruits well at the position.

But not having Murray out there and 100% is very bad for OU.

Ohter backs are capable but he's the home run threat.

I think wants Madu gets mroe time he will be a good home run thread though.

Murray also returns kicks I believe.

It's a loss.

Definitely a loss with kickoffs, but I would be more concerned if any of the 5 olinemen were hurt..

Definitely a loss with kickoffs, but I would be more concerned if any of the 5 olinemen were hurt..
Agreed. Skill position players make the most headlines but they aren't the most important (sans QB)

Just like line moves in Niffel based off a RB being out, but it's really a pretty interchangeable position on that level. This is similar to that in that OU is loaded at back.

Agreed.

I lean Homo in this game...just worried about their kickoff coverage.

Much of what I have seen from OK has the back running routes from the backfield or lining up in the 5 wide sets, so blocking should not be a concern unless FL. starts racking up sacks. Any concern with Madu's hands or blocking ability?

Brown is a better blocker imo...he should start as well.

I like Brown as a runner as well. The guy is physical, but I cannot see him playing every snap of the game. Times he is not on the field is my concern, or if he goes down, which is always a chance. Can Madu fill the void for those situations. Madu played his heart out against Mizzou, but I think their pschy was shot after having the OK offense march down the field every drive from the 2nd quarter to the end of the game. The only other real playing time he has had was in mop up duty. How much playing time did he get against Texas?

Thats the least of their worries. They better come up with some kind of defense against these Gators. CHOMP CHOMP

Agreed Shark. I bet locally here in the southeast and I can see this game picking up 2-5 points before game time. Locals cannot take one sided action like Vegas. Oh, and love the new avatar.

Good article in RJ's thread #176 on this topic

Its being rumored DT Demarcus Granger is going to be out as well. Ouch.

It really sucks that all this unfair stuff is happening to OU right before this game.

Its being rumored DT Demarcus Granger is going to be out as well. Ouch.

It really sucks that all this unfair stuff is happening to OU right before this game.

Yeah, I'm heartbroken.

:ousucks:

:ousucksnana:

:hookem:

:texas:

:bevo:

not having Murray is huge...interesting that Horn is noting that Granger may not play either...

guys...I am an avid sooner fan....very familar with the program....

The Granger injury hurts a bit in terms of depth at tackle....definitley means a few more reps for Gerald McCoy...especially on 3rd down.

The Murray injury isnt quite as significant as you might think for a couple of reasons. In the special teams aspect, Ryan Broyles and Dominique Franks should be more than suitable for Kickoff returns....

Kevin Wilson is very innovative. Look for him to go towards their strengths....more double TE formations with Gresham and Eldridge, with Brown offset for play action....look for more I formation sets with Clapp and Madu, who is very efficient off tackle. This also sets up nicely up the middle for Gresham...who had 26 catches for 350 yards with 5 TDs in I formation sets this season.....

While DeMarco is an outstanding player, OU definitely has the offensive depth to counter his loss.

Back