De La Hoya Vs. Pacquiao

bjorks

Secretary of Fondy Fanclub
Sounds like Dec. 6, ODLH will face off against Pac Man. Both are old, but I'm betting the bank on Pac Man as soon as the line comes out.

ODLH doesn't have the punching power to KO Pac Man, who's speed and body assault will overwhelm ODLH.

Sources: De La Hoya, Pacquiao agree to Dec. 6 fight in Vegas

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: August 27, 2008, 3:30 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
De La Hoya To Announce Fight With Pacquiao
Oscar De La Hoya, boxing's biggest star, will announce Thursday that he will meet pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao on Dec. 6, two sources close to the fight told ESPN.com.

Top Rank's Bob Arum, whose company promotes Pacquiao, would not confirm a deal was in place for what would be the year's biggest fight, but he did tell ESPN.com that De La Hoya would host a media teleconference at 2 p.m. ET on Thursday to announce his opponent.

"We'll know who is he is fighting tomorrow," Arum said Wednesday from Youngstown, Ohio, where he was attending a promotional event for the Kelly Pavlik-Bernard Hopkins fight that he is co-promoting with De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions. "I made a commitment that I wouldn't say anything and that tomorrow there would be an announcement. I'm not allowed to make any comments. Everything will be clear on Thursday."

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer would not confirm the deal, either, but sounded positive when asked about it.

"Last week the deal was 90 percent dead, but we were able to revive it. The fact that it has been so quiet is a good sign," Schaefer said from Mexico, where he was traveling on business with De La Hoya. "It's been a lot of back and forth and skillful negotiating and to try to get each side to soften their stance. If the fight was Arum vs. Schaefer, it would have been made awhile ago."

Schaefer dismissed reports this week that welterweight titleholder Paul Williams was under serious consideration to meet De La Hoya. Schaefer said that although Williams' name was thrown out during an internal meeting, it was quickly dismissed, and no contact was ever made between the De La Hoya and Williams camps. Williams promoter Dan Goossen confirmed that as well.

De La Hoya (39-5, 30 KOs), who has repeatedly said the December fight would be the last bout of his storied career in which he's won world titles in six weight divisions, has been in talks with Pacquiao (47-3-2, 35 KOs) for weeks. But negotiations got bogged down when the sides could not come to an agreement on how to split the revenue, which is expected to exceed more than $100 million.

De La Hoya stood firm for weeks on a 70-30 split in his favor; Pacquiao was demanding a 40 percent slice of the pie.

The rest of the major issues, from the maximum weight to the size of the gloves, were agreed upon, with Pacquiao getting his way on a 147-pound weight limit and 8-ounce gloves.

The percentage split that De La Hoya and Pacquiao have apparently agreed to is unclear.

Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer and one of De La Hoya's former trainers, has been an outspoken advocate of the fight, going so far as to say he would train Pacquiao for free because he was so confident he would win.

Roach told ESPN.com on Wednesday that Pacquiao, whom he hadn't spoken to much recently, left him two voice mails about 7 a.m. ET.

"He left me the messages and at the end of one of them, he said, 'Thanks for all your help.' I read that as the fight is done," Roach said.

Pacquiao, a lightweight titleholder who has won belts in five weight classes and is the national icon of the Philippines, would move up to welterweight for the showdown with De La Hoya.

The fight is expected to take place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, where De La Hoya has fought five of his past six bouts and seven of his past 10.

haha I found it on here. I forget who posted it but it was posted in a GD thread.

My favorite part is the toy gun tucked under his arm right by the beer. :36_11_6:

You guys think Pacquia moving up another weight class is gonna happer him? He's done it before and he's succeeded but that last fight against Diaz was weak. How Diaz was ever a champ is beyond me, he sucked soooo bad.

Also, Dela hoya is fighting for Mexican pride. Pacquiao has whipped all the great Mexican fighters and it's starting to piss off everybody that they call Pacquiao "the Mexicutioner". I can almost guarantee you Oscar won't get knocked out, he's got a strong jaw. I think it's going to go the distance and come down to a decision unless a cut or something stops the fight.

Last edited:
ODLH struggles against guys who can move and slip. Manny isn't exactly a stationary target and although he's 6 inches shorter, I think it'll help his body attack.

Manny throws from a lot of different angles, I don't see how ODLH will be able to simulate Manny's style sparring. It would be surprising of Manny KO'd him, but Manny throws so many more punches than the average fighter, if they get a legit judge crew in there he may be just able to out point him. Technically speaking, the cleaner, faster punches should favor Manny.

The line is right and begs for Manny action. ODLA rolls this fool.

First off, Manny won't be comfortable at this weight. You have a small man going up, and a larger man comming down. This usually always benefits the larger fighter. Manny cannot knock out Oscar. ODLA will knock Manny back all night with his jab and really work his body.

His conditioning looks top notch... Oscar lost a split decision to a fighter in Floyd who has twice Manny's speed and 10 times more evasive skills. If Manny tries to walk through Oscar's power all fight to try to get inside he will be in bad shape early.

I think Manny will be fine. He'll be at the minimum weight anyway, he's not trying to bulk all the way up.

As for ODLH jabbing, it's going to be interesting to see how he adjusts. Ya, you can jab guys your size, but jabbing at a target that bounces back-and-forth and is 6" shorter than you is different.

I'm interested to see which fighter will be louder. Both these guys grunt like there's no tomorrow on their punches.

I've got upper level tickets and it's my first boxing match ever. I'm excited.

The biggest problem for me in this fight is the weight.

How much is Manny going up versus How much is De La Hoya coming down

Damn. Very nice. How much they run?

I'm in the club seats, which don't mean shit. It's basically the floor, level 1, club 1, club 2, uppers. I'm in club 1 and the face was $1500 a piece, but I got 2 for that price from a guy in Vegas that owes me money.

Getting arguably the best pound for pound fighter in the world still in his prime against a washed up, part time boxer at +180 odds is too good to pass up on for me.

I think Manny will be fine. He'll be at the minimum weight anyway, he's not trying to bulk all the way up.

As for ODLH jabbing, it's going to be interesting to see how he adjusts. Ya, you can jab guys your size, but jabbing at a target that bounces back-and-forth and is 6" shorter than you is different.

I'm interested to see which fighter will be louder. Both these guys grunt like there's no tomorrow on their punches.

I've got upper level tickets and it's my first boxing match ever. I'm excited.

No one has touched on the fact that Roach trained Oscar for his fight with Mayweather and knows his weaknesses...even though I'm a HUGE Oscar fan you have to like an "in his prime" Pacquiao at a SWEET +180...:tiphat:
Have a great time....:shake:

Mully :cheers:

Manny started his carreer out at 106 pounds. The highest weight he's fought at is 135, and he's had what, one fight there? I think you guys are putting WAY too much stock into how much speed Manny's going to be able to carry up with him. He'll be slower, and he'll be more sluggish, and it will show. Oscar should be able to keep him at bay with the jab, up until the point he decides to finish him off. I'd love nothing more than to see Manny win this fight, I'm a huge fan. But I just don't see it happening. Anything short of a KO for ODLH and he should be ashamed of himself. Really, he should be ashamed of himself anyway, for even taking this fight. He's too money hungry, and there was a perfectly able Antonio Margarito licking his chops at the thought of fighting DLH. Just my 2 cents. GL.

Roach is a quality trainer and the fact that he worked with Oscar in the past can only help Manny going into this fight. You can make a decent case for both fighters, but at the end of the day the real Pac-man has more going for him heading into this fight.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how Amir Khan does on the same nite. There was a lot of hype surrounding this kid after his performance at the Olympics but he got knocked back to reality in his last fight and it should be interesting to see how he bounces back.

Also the Margarito-Mosley fight has been officially signed for the new year. Should be a good one as well.

• history of Pacq
  • Hoya's age/training
  • size disparity in this fight

If Hoya cannot KO Pacq, he will tire, Pacq will last the fight, but I don't see Pacq KO Hoya in the late rounds.

Hoya win by KO/TKO/DQ +160
Pacq win by decision +350

Manny started his carreer out at 106 pounds. The highest weight he's fought at is 135, and he's had what, one fight there? I think you guys are putting WAY too much stock into how much speed Manny's going to be able to carry up with him. He'll be slower, and he'll be more sluggish, and it will show. Oscar should be able to keep him at bay with the jab, up until the point he decides to finish him off. I'd love nothing more than to see Manny win this fight, I'm a huge fan. But I just don't see it happening. Anything short of a KO for ODLH and he should be ashamed of himself. Really, he should be ashamed of himself anyway, for even taking this fight. He's too money hungry, and there was a perfectly able Antonio Margarito licking his chops at the thought of fighting DLH. Just my 2 cents. GL.

From what I've heard is Manny will weight in at the minimum and he'll be way under for the fight night. could be just rumors, but i don't believe in Manny's going to be too bulky for this fight, I think he's coming in way under to maintain his speed.

Speed kills, fellas. You can't hit what you can't see or touch. Ask Pretty Boy Floyd about speed or Roy Jones 10 years ago how much speed helped them.

DLH wins EZ too much reach & too much power only question is how losing the weight will effect Oscar which iIMO will not be a problem come fight night. He will be at least 10lbs over the weight Pac will be a lot smaller, Oscar wins it in less than 4 rds....TKO

DLH wins EZ too much reach & too much power only question is how losing the weight will effect Oscar which iIMO will not be a problem come fight night. He will be at least 10lbs over the weight Pac will be a lot smaller, Oscar wins it in less than 4 rds....TKO

Manny is a tough ass n*gga and will not be knocked by a 35 year old De la hoya in less than 4 rounds.

Manny has a current streak of eight straight wins over Mexicano's hence the nickname "the Mexican Killer".

But I also understand why a lot of people like Oscar in the spot. Manny takes a ton of risks in the ring and against a bigger fighter he might be a bit vulnerable, but he will definitely dish out some serious punishment which is something Oscar hasnt seen in awhile.

Cinderfella, when's the last time ODLH scored a KO of a strong willed, strong chinned opponent?

A decision over Stevie Forbes in 2008
A TKO in the 6th of a waaaaay past his prime of Ricardo Mayorga in 2006
A decision over Felix Sturm in 2004
A TKO in the 7th over Luis Ramon Campas in 2003
A TKO in the 11th over Fernando Vargas in 2002
A TKO over Arturo Gatti in the 5th in 2001.

It's been over 5 years since ODLH has knocked out anyone of significance.

Manny is a great fighter in his weight class he is going to find out real fast that his fast punches are not gonna reach him or hurt Oscar. DLH has proven that he can take a punch, & hes also gonna be faster at this lighter weight, at -185 I believe this great value he should be at least at -350. After a coupla jabs & left hook Pac Man will be running its his only chance is to try & tire him out. If he decides to fight tis will end fast.

Cinderfella, when's the last time ODLH scored a KO of a strong willed, strong chinned opponent?

A decision over Stevie Forbes in 2008
A TKO in the 6th of a waaaaay past his prime of Ricardo Mayorga in 2006
A decision over Felix Sturm in 2004
A TKO in the 7th over Luis Ramon Campas in 2003
A TKO in the 11th over Fernando Vargas in 2002
A TKO over Arturo Gatti in the 5th in 2001.

It's been over 5 years since ODLH has knocked out anyone of significance.

Your right DLH is not the same figher he once was, which is why he is taking this fight. After he TKO's Pac, he will retire (possibly fight with Hatton) & sign on Pac to Golden Boy....money;

Last edited:
Manny has a current streak of eight straight wins over Mexicano's hence the nickname "the Mexican Killer".

But I also understand why a lot of people like Oscar in the spot. Manny takes a ton of risks in the ring and against a bigger fighter he might be a bit vulnerable, but he will definitely dish out some serious punishment which is something Oscar hasnt seen in awhile.

Are there any other boxers in his weight that are not Mexican? lol, I hope its a good fight, hes gonna outweigh Pac by 5-10 lbs by fight nite & a huge reach advantage, cant see how Pac is gonna get close enough to hurt him, although DLH seems to find a way to blow his big fights my money is on the old guy. lol

Last edited:
I really want to watch this fight but my friend's 21st birthday party is tomorrow night so we got a limo and are goin out to the bar which 99% chance won't have the fight. weak.

this is the only picture I needed to see.
http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2/headlines//EkklFuZpkudyqjliLF.html

Look at the size of DLH's hands compared to Pac mans. And I heard they are using 8 oz gloves. And is Pacs chin really that strong. Didn't he get knocked down 3 times in one rd to a small fighter? Granted he came back and won but I think Oscar gets to him and the Mexican killer thing will make oscar fight harder. He's a very pridefull fighter. Plus if it does go to the cards who takes advantage of judges favortism more than DLH. DLH to win 4 units for me

They also call him "The Mexicutioner".

Rumor in Vegas today is Manny will be around 147 for this fight or a little higher.

Cinder, Manny is not going to run. I've watched his last 20 fights and that's not his style nor would he ever put that into a game plan. Roach and Manny both think he can out point ODLH and it's their believe they can out slug him too.

I question where you think ODLH has this great punching power and knockout power and 2 jabs and a hook is all it'll take.

Best of luck on your play, but the sharp money is on Manny tonight.

I really want to watch this fight but my friend's 21st birthday party is tomorrow night so we got a limo and are goin out to the bar which 99% chance won't have the fight. weak.

same situation here. gonna show up to the pre-juice but then duck out at around 10:30 to the local sports bar to catch the fight.

Back