Countdown to destiny, a history lesson, and a misery lesson

• Thread starter Thread starter tipyerbartender1
  • Start date Start date
dont' worry Tip it's a win-win for you....Steph wins Akron gets a title, Lebron wins Akron gets a title :shake:

Thank you. Considered Ted for the list. An owner so inept, the league had to change the rules. So much misery, so little time for documentation. And the Browns/Tribe misery sort of took precedence. It's gone on so long.

MORE

I could read this and be entertained every year the rest of my life tip :cheers3:

If it weren't for that '95 World Series you wouldn't have written this and I might have had to write one for Atlanta

I sat 8 rows back behind the Marlins' dugout for Game 6 and 7 in south Florida back in 1997. Got tickets through a buddy and was amazed, just like you, as to all the decisions being made. While it made for one of the greatest endings to a Game 7 in any sport, I felt bad for the Cleveland guys.

Growing up in Houston, you could almost write the exact same stories until John Starks went 2-for-48,000 in game 6 of the 93-94 Finals. From then on, Houston actually won some more titles (NBA, WNBA and MLS), so we had that going for us, which is nice.

Good stuff, my brother ... good stuff.

The updated version of this adds a couple more disappointments since we last visited Cleveland's heartbreak. The Cleveland chapter of the Johnny Manziel saga crescendoed and came to a close over the past year. More trainwreck than heartbreak, and another blown 1st rounder. And while it's impossible to say how David Blatt's Cavs would have fared in the finals last season if fully healthy, it was a valiant effort by the six or so guys he had left, Delly playing 40 minutes, Shump with one arm, JR MIA, Lebron trying to do it all. This edition is so much different in both style and supporting personnel, we'll just never know how it might have played out last year.

The 2007 ALCS doesn't get quite the run of the previous two on the list, probably because of the round, but it was a pretty epic and painful collapse by the Tribe. A decade after the great offensive teams of the nineties, the 2007 Tribe pitched its way to the ALCS and seemed poised to pitch its way to glory, up 3-1 on the Boston Red Sox with their ace and 2007 CY Young, C.C. Sabathia, lined up for a closeout game five in Cleveland. But Josh Beckett was better that night, sending the series back to Boston. Now the Tribe turned to the 19-game winner formerly known as Fausto Carmona, fresh off a recent steely performance in the famous "bug game" against the Yankees in the ALDS. Fausto's knees were knocking from the outset, the Sox clobbered the Tribe to set up game seven in Boston. Jake Westbrook v. Dice-K. You wouldn't remember it from the 11-2 score, but Westbrook pitched his heart out that night, much better than the Tribe's pair of aces had in the series. But the Tribe's rally from 3-0 to 3-2 fell short, and the wheels came off in the late innings. The Red Sox would, of course, go on to sweep the overmatched Colorado Rockies in four games. Couldn't help but feel, again, what could have been.

Think this undersells how close that Tribe team was.

Game 7: down 2-3 but with runners on the corners, 1 out top of the 7th.
Up to bat Casey Blake, who in his other 3 AB in this game managed 2 hits. But could he manage a hit in this spot, where even an out could tie the game? No, he hit into a double-play. Salt poured into the wound, Boston scored a 2-run shot in the bottom half of that inning: the baserunner for that HR getting on due to an error, should only have been a solo shot.:rofl: That sequence decided the WS winner, because Colorado wasn't matching any AL representative that season.

I honestly believe that Cleveland deserves a title, but LeBron doesn't. I never liked him and while I had to root for him, while Blatt was in Cleveland, I will gladly see him fail. He doesn't deserve to be the one to bring the title to Cleveland.
Golden State is the better team and Bron won't even be the best player on the court. Kyrie is amazing player and was missed in last year's series. Love... not so much... Blatt had amazing strategy in last year's Finals, but also had very little choice, with two injuries, so he brought great defensive unit, slowed the pace as much as he could and hoped Bron will be enough and it almost was. This time... Lue will have to make a choice between good offense and good defense every time he makes a sub and be correct in almost all of the times, for Cavs to keep it close. Doubt he has what it takes. Toronto series proves that when his plan A doesn't work, he doesn't have plan B and it's a very bad against the Warriors.
Also... Kawhi and Iggy really frustrate Bron and he sure was rooting for the Thunder to be in the Finals, instead of Spurs or Dubs and was very close to that.

Think this undersells how close that Tribe team was.

Game 7: down 2-3 but with runners on the corners, 1 out top of the 7th.
Up to bat Casey Blake, who in his other 3 AB in this game managed 2 hits. But could he manage a hit in this spot, where even an out could tie the game? No, he hit into a double-play. Salt poured into the wound, Boston scored a 2-run shot in the bottom half of that inning: the baserunner for that HR getting on due to an error, should only have been a solo shot.:rofl: That sequence decided the WS winner, because Colorado wasn't matching any AL representative that season.

Also left on the cutting room floor of the account of this game was Tribe 3B coach Joel Skinner putting a stop sign on Kenny Lofton rounding third on a ball bouncing around Fenway's goofy LF corner. He would have scored had he been waved around. I believe this was in the comeback inning and would have tied the game at 3, would have to double check.

I honestly believe that Cleveland deserves a title, but LeBron doesn't. I never liked him and while I had to root for him, while Blatt was in Cleveland, I will gladly see him fail. He doesn't deserve to be the one to bring the title to Cleveland.
Golden State is the better team and Bron won't even be the best player on the court. Kyrie is amazing player and was missed in last year's series. Love... not so much... Blatt had amazing strategy in last year's Finals, but also had very little choice, with two injuries, so he brought great defensive unit, slowed the pace as much as he could and hoped Bron will be enough and it almost was. This time... Lue will have to make a choice between good offense and good defense every time he makes a sub and be correct in almost all of the times, for Cavs to keep it close. Doubt he has what it takes. Toronto series proves that when his plan A doesn't work, he doesn't have plan B and it's a very bad against the Warriors.
Also... Kawhi and Iggy really frustrate Bron and he sure was rooting for the Thunder to be in the Finals, instead of Spurs or Dubs and was very close to that.

You may be right, except I'm pretty sure Bron wanted to play the Warriors. That's my read. We'll see what happens!

If he wanted to play the Warriors, then he sure doesn't deserve to win it. To hope to get revenge, against rival that has much better match ups, instead of a rival that Bron has great record against and has terrible match ups against... means that he cares much more about himself, that the ultimate goal - to bring Cleveland the title...

I honestly believe that Cleveland would have won against the Thunder and really doubt they will win against the Warriors.

Anyway, if they will manage to do so, will be happy for you and other Cavs fans...

Also left on the cutting room floor of the account of this game was Tribe 3B coach Joel Skinner putting a stop sign on Kenny Lofton rounding third on a ball bouncing around Fenway's goofy LF corner. He would have scored had he been waved around. I believe this was in the comeback inning and would have tied the game at 3, would have to double check.

Yeah, I believe it was Lofton on 3rd when Blake hit into the DP.

----

[TABLE="class: mod-data, width: 100%"]
<thead style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;">[TR]
[TH]HIDEKI OKAJIMA PITCHING FOR BOSTON[/TH]
[TH="align: center"]CLE[/TH]
[TH="align: center"]BOS[/TH]
[/TR]
</thead><tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;">[TR="class: odd"]
[TD]J Peralta flied out to right.[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: even"]
[TD]K Lofton safe at second on error by shortstop J Lugo.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: odd"]
[TD]F Gutierrez singled to left, K Lofton to third.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: even"]
[TD]C Blake grounded into double play, third to second to first, F Gutierrez out at second.[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Well it's ashame your not here tonight to put this thread to rest.

So to the honorable man from Cleveland I say congrats and hope you get to see the Indians win a World Series soon as well.

Take Care Tip, gonna miss you around here.

:shake:

Well it's ashame your not here tonight to put this thread to rest.

So to the honorable man from Cleveland I say congrats and hope you get to see the Indians win a World Series soon as well.

Take Care Tip, gonna miss you around here.

:shake:

:shake2:

Back