Could really use a profitable Monday night

• Thread starter Thread starter Detox
  • Start date Start date
D

Detox

8:40 PM ET inside the Superdome

Dolphins (3-0) / Saints (3-0)

Current lines for the game 7, 48.5

What are you guys thinking? I hope I get some free time at work to go over the game a little.

Opening line in NO was 3.5, 47

Pretty big jump, any other reason besides all the money came in on NO? Injury or something?

The Dolphins head to the Superdome undefeated, but at significantly less than 100% health. Star LE Cameron Wake (MCL sprain) may only be available for passing downs, and NT Paul Soliai (knee) is week to week. Slot CB Dimitri Patterson (groin) suffered a setback last week and didn't play against Atlanta, allowing Julio Jones (9-115) to light up RCB Nolan Carroll. Drew Brees is catching fire again following a slightly slow start, and has a plus matchup on Monday night. The Dolphins currently rank 20th in passing yards allowed. ... Playing 59% of his snaps split outside or in the slot, Jimmy Graham leads all tight ends in targets (by seven), receptions (by three), yards (by 89), and standard league fantasy points (by nine). The Dolphins get heated up frequently by tight ends because coordinator Kevin Coyle is a believer in blitzing, and tight ends are often the quarterback's hot read. Coyle may blitz Brees even more than usual in an attempt to compensate for a banged-up Wake. As usual, Graham is the No. 1 fantasy tight end play in Week 4. ... Brees' target distribution through three weeks: Graham 38, Marques Colston 21, Darren Sproles 20, Pierre Thomas 15, Lance Moore 11, Kenny Stills 8, Ben Watson 5, Robert Meachem 3. ... Graham has hogged early receiving production, but it's only a matter of time before double teams begin benefiting Colston. Colston also started slow last season (4-71, 3-49, 3-40 in Weeks 1-3), only to finish as the No. 12 fantasy receiver. He's probably the best buy-low wideout in fantasy.

Brees has eight straight 300-yard games, the second longest streak in NFL history and one short of his own record. He's set up for a lot of yards Monday night. After Graham and Colston, Sproles is the favorite for targets, catches and yards in New Orleans. Like Colston, Sproles is off to a slow start, but is a recommended RB2/flex against Miami and should be on all buy-low radars. ... Though effective real-life players, Moore and Stills are canceling each other out of weekly box scores. Moore hasn't cleared 25 yards in any game yet. Stills' yardage totals have dropped in back-to-back weeks, and he went catch-less against the Falcons. They're both fantasy WR5s. ... Normally one of the league's stoutest defenses, Miami is shelling out 4.72 yards per carry to enemy ball carriers, the sixth highest average in the league. Soliai's absence is hurting here, and Wake's limited role won't help. With Mark Ingram (toe) not expected to play Monday, Thomas is squarely in the flex mix. Thomas racked up 17 touches in last Sunday's win over Arizona, his highest touch total in any game since December of 2010. I noticed Thomas' Week 4 pricetag on FanDuel is only $5,400, 37th among running backs. He's a nice, cheap gamble in daily leagues.

Friday Update: Moore (wrist) missed practice on Thursday and Friday and may not play Monday night against the Dolphins. If he doesn't, rookie Stills could be a deep Week 4 sleeper.

Until they begin springing leaks, it's time to take Saints DC Rob Ryan's defense seriously as a tough fantasy matchup for enemy skill-position players. Ryan has built a unit with which to be reckoned. The Saints rank fourth in total defense, and only four clubs have allowed fewer points. New Orleans is No. 4 versus the pass. Ryan Tannehill has carried the Dolphins' offense through offensive-line talent shortages and run-game inconsistency, but is likely to face a lot of pressure on Monday night. The Saints are a top-seven team in Pro Football Focus' pass-rushing metrics, blitzing in an efficient and responsible manner. Tannehill only ranks 23rd in fantasy QB scoring. He could still pay off as a two-quarterback-league start if this game turns into a shootout. ... Miami is more likely to have rushing success at the Superdome, as Ryan's defense ranks 20th versus the run and second to last in yards-per-carry allowed (5.30). Unfortunately, the Dolphins' coaching staff has refused to commit to a feature back. Starter Lamar Miller has played 94 snaps on the season, but is struggling in pass protection and averaging 12 touches for 50 yards a game. He had a bad drop in last week's win over Atlanta, costing the Fins a long gain. Daniel Thomas has played 93 snaps and is averaging eight touches per game. In pass pro, Thomas has allowed a sack in back-to-back games. He got Tannehill hit repeatedly last week.

Tannehill's target distribution: Brian Hartline 28, Mike Wallace 21, Brandon Gibson 20, Charles Clay 19, Miller 6, Rishard Matthews 4, Thomas 3. ... Resistant to bracket coverage as a press-man believer, Ryan's defense has shown some vulnerability to opposing No. 1 receivers. Julio Jones touched up the Saints for a 7-76-1 line in Week 1. In Week 2, Vincent Jackson registered a 5-77 spot that would've been much larger had a 73-yard TD not been called back. Coming off a debilitating hamstring injury last week, Larry Fitzgerald caught 5-of-6 targets for 64 yards against New Orleans. Wallace dropped 95 yards on Ryan's Dallas defense last December. He's a strong WR2 on Monday night. ... Hartline has been the beneficiary of Wallace's attention-commanding presence, leading Miami in targets and ranking 14th in fantasy receiver scoring through three games. I'm very skeptical Hartline keeps up those numbers, but he's worth a WR3 start in a potentially pass-happy affair. ... H-back Clay is a chain-moving possession receiver underneath and gets random goal-line carries. Clay's upside is minimal, but you could do worse in a crunch. Clay is playing 85% of Miami's offensive snaps and does far more route running than blocking.

Score Prediction: Saints 30, Dolphins 24

previous1234

think this shapes up well for a Saints rout. dolphins are not a complete fraud, but i do think they get a wake up call on the road in NOLA.

WHO DAT BITCHES.....I took the over. Don't like laying 7 with the way the offense has been "normal" this year and Brees seems a little off so far this year. I expect points.

Anyone see any parallels between this MNF game and the MNF from 2 years ago vs the Giants? That game vs the Giants was after bye but final was 49-24 Saints. Feeling something like that tonight.

It will be interesting to see NO defense after going against shitty Tampa and Arizona offenses. I lean under but its the saints, home, monday night, nfl, etc, etc.

Miami did beat Indy away and held to 20 points but gave up 448 yds 5.1 rpg and 315 in air. Hard to see Saints losing here.

Not sure how I'm playing this one yet. The Saints should win, the fins are hurt. This will not be a good test for the Fins as to whether they are legit or not, but rather a test for the Saints as to by how much they win by. Immagine if Miami beats them. Would that make the Saints a bad team or Miami a contender, playing hurt and all? Its going to be interesting tonight. Hopefully ill have a bet in soon.

I really dont believe in conspiracy theories but man,I dont think Ive read or seen anyone on the Dolphins.Every man and his dogs on saints,saints TT
Im just gonna look at the score in the morning without leaving a bet,I wouldnt be suprised to see a Miami SU victory,these huge one sided bet games on primetime dont always end well.

I agree ManU, opened at 3.5 ... so everyone originally pushed it up and then the majority like the -.6.5, 7, 7.5 .... Vegas is going to get steam rolled on a MNF game?? Probably not, right?

I agree ManU, opened at 3.5 ... so everyone originally pushed it up and then the majority like the -.6.5, 7, 7.5 .... Vegas is going to get steam rolled on a MNF game?? Probably not, right?

that's happened before

Rob Ryan's defense ranks 20th versus the run and second to last in yards-per-carry allowed (5.30)

Rays (Price) vs Rangers (Perez)

Rays -111, Rangers +101

o/u 7.5

There's this game too. Leaning over.

Have the Saints played during primetime yet? snf, mnf... ?

For some reason I think that matters with S Peyton back after all of that bounty gate shit. They could be really fucking ready for this game. Fuck! Can't make up my mind.

primetime nfl games that have line moves like this with the public continuing to pound the favorite...seems they win around 30% of the time. waiting to see if fade friend is also on the aint's...that would probably make the dullphins the best investment of the season so far tonight

lol ManU, my week ends on Monday with one guy and I don't particularly like my current figure.

he'll (dumb bookie) be scared of the saints and bump it too i'm thinking. if it gets to 7.5 or 8 I'm taking the dolphins. (i think that's where i stand at the moment)

I'm thinking he'll send out 7.5/49

VIA INSIDER

This week's "Monday Night Football" matchup has two surprising 3-0 teams facing off against each other as the Miami Dolphins (3-0 ATS) visit the New Orleans Saints (2-1 ATS). Second-year quarterback Ryan Tannehill seems to have taken the next step in his development for Miami, playing efficient football and leading his team to two fourth-quarter comeback victories. But one big problem for Miami is its offensive line.
<!-- END INLINE MODULE --><!-- end inline 1 -->
The Dolphins knew the O-line could be a problem after they let Jake Long sign in the offseason with St. Louis, but they probably hoped it would perform better than this. According to Football Outsiders, Miami's line is dead last in the NFL with an adjusted sack rate of 11.8 percent (one of only seven teams above 9.0 percent). Tannehill has fumbled five times already this season, losing four, and he has the worst expected points added from sacks in the NFL with minus-10.9.

For the Saints, the big story is the defense. Everyone thought that Drew Brees and this offense would be back to its high-powered self -- and it has been, with Brees ranked No. 5 in Total QBR at 73.2 entering Week 4 -- but not many people probably expected the defense to play this well, especially with all the injuries. The Saints are giving up under 13 points per game and only allowing opponents 184.3 yards through the air (fourth-best in the NFL entering Week 4); last season they were dead last with 292.6 yards allowed a contest.
This line opened at Saints minus-5.5 and a total of 47.5 at the Las Vegas Hotel and has climbed throughout the week to Saints minus-7, with both the sharps and public liking the Saints. According to ESPN Insider's PickCenter, 73 percent of the public bets are on the Saints. And remember, the Saints are 16-4 ATS at home the last two-plus seasons, including 2-0 SU and ATS in 2013.
Let's turn to analysis on the line and total from Jay Kornegay of the LVH and ATS picks from four handicappers.

<CENTER>[h=3]Matchup: Miami Dolphins at New Orleans Saints[/h]
Spread: Opened Saints minus-5.5; now Saints minus-7
Total: Opened 47.5; now 48.5
</CENTER>
Jay Kornegay says: "The Saints opened up at minus-5.5 and a total of 47.5. Miami comes in undefeated and we do believe they are a much improved team. The opening number of minus-5.5 might have been a touch low as the money has shown up on New Orleans throughout the whole week and we expect more Monday. The bookmakers underrated the lack of respect Miami still has out there. Moving forward, when will Dolphin money show up? I don't think we see it unless we go to minus-7.5. The books got hurt last Monday as the Broncos/Raiders game ran from minus-14.5 to minus-17 before settling in at minus-16.5. The game finished with a 16-point Broncos win and most books got middled. The books will wait as long as they can on minus-7.

"I think the number will stay at minus-7 as the books will not want to go on the high side of this number. The total moved to 48.5 in the middle of the week and has held steady. I think it will continue to hover around 48 and it has a small chance to drop down to the original opening number of 47.5."
Prediction: Line will likely stay at minus-7; total could dip to 47.5.

[h=3]ATS picks[/h]
Dave Tuley says: "I think I learned my lesson last week with the Cardinals: Don't fade the Saints at home unless you have a team that can really keep up offensively (like the Falcons, who should have covered at New Orleans in Week 1). Otherwise I think I'll have to sit this one out, though I believe the Dolphins are the right side."
ATS pick: Pass
Sports Boss says: "I hate taking three favorites in the prime-time games in one week, but I will this week and I like the Saints to take care of the Dolphins on MNF. Give credit to Miami for their 3-0 start, but when we examine their statistics a little closer, especially versus the Saints, there could be problems for Miami in the Superdome on Monday. All of my models favor the Saints in this game, but what's more is the Saints defense ranks third versus the pass, third in my miscellaneous category (any stat that cannot be attributed directly to rushing or passing such as first downs or time of possession) and sixth overall. On the flip side is a Miami offense that doesn't rate in the top half of the NFL in rushing, passing or miscellaneous. Add in the fact Miami is playing in the ultra-loud Superdome, they currently allow the most sacks per pass attempt in the NFL and it is Tannehill versus Brees, and I am taking the Saints to win this game by at least a TD."
ATS pick: Saints

Sal Selvaggio says: "I bet New Orleans minus-6 earlier this week and that is the side I would recommend at less than 7. Last week was another game in the books for Miami and another game were they were outgained -- Miami is 3-0 on the season yet they haven't outgained an opponent.

"The Saints haven't exactly impressed me either as the offense hasn't been as explosive or efficient as in years past. The defense is much improved and if the offense can get anywhere close to where it has been, this team is a Super Bowl contender. This feels like a good matchup for Miami if the Dolphins play it smart, run the ball and control the clock, but if they get down early (like I believe they will) it will play right into the Saints' hands and I expect them to win by enough to cover.
Wunderdog says: "It might be tempting to back this upstart Miami team that is 3-0, getting nearly a TD here. But this team isn't without issues. For one, the Dolphins haven't protected their quarterback very well, as Tannehill has been sacked an NFL-high 14 times through three games. One reason for that is that the Dolphins simply do not have a running game, generating just 3.2 yards per carry. That has left them in bad spots in terms of down and distance, and opponents are pinning their ears back and going after the quarterback. New Orleans was a horrific defense last season but the Saints have made great strides this season. The Saints' offense finally got on track last week, putting up 31 points against Arizona. After that win, New Orleans is 18-5 ATS in its last 23 games in this building. Over the past three seasons, the Saints are 11-2 ATS against teams like Miami that allow 235-plus passing yards per game. They are also 19-9 ATS over that span as a favorite, including 14-3 ATS as home chalk. Lay the points with New Orleans here."

I'm in the same boat Detox. Rough weekend. I'm looking hard at the under. Saints defense is pretty good, and I expect them to really stifle Miami tonight.

Saints clearly look like the play here - but I don't like being on the side that is overloaded on Monday nights. Its hard to tell how good NO is because they've played some shit teams. Same can be said about MIA, although the win @Indy is impressive. If Miami had a better rushing offense, I would jump on them - but they don't. Saints defense will be able to stop their run. So how good is Tannehill? Tough to say, but I don't see him throwing all over this defense...

he'll (dumb bookie) be scared of the saints and bump it too i'm thinking. if it gets to 7.5 or 8 I'm taking the dolphins. (i think that's where i stand at the moment)

I'm thinking he'll send out 7.5/49

That's probably exactly where my guy will have it. No value at all in playing faves with him but his lines are great for teasing dogs. Ties lose in his teasers though which fucking blows.

Brees has won 8 straight games on MNF (longest active streak in NFL). In those 8 games he's thrown 24TD's, 5 INTs, avg 308 yards and completed over 71% of his passes. As much as I want to take Miami, I'm not betting against some shit like that, especially when the Dolphins corners are banged up...

That's probably exactly where my guy will have it. No value at all in playing faves with him but his lines are great for teasing dogs. Ties lose in his teasers though which fucking blows.

First name Sean? :thinking:

lol, i swear i hit so many big dogs this year because i said fuck that line and took the dog. happened the other night, the game marlins beat detroit in extras.

I'm in the same boat Detox. Rough weekend. I'm looking hard at the under. Saints defense is pretty good, and I expect them to really stifle Miami tonight.

Saints clearly look like the play here - but I don't like being on the side that is overloaded on Monday nights. Its hard to tell how good NO is because they've played some shit teams. Same can be said about MIA, although the win @Indy is impressive. If Miami had a better rushing offense, I would jump on them - but they don't. Saints defense will be able to stop their run. So how good is Tannehill? Tough to say, but I don't see him throwing all over this defense...

:shake:

I agree with everything. I'll probably get a good number for the under too. I would jump on Mia too if I trusted their running game.

Good shit Detox. My only worry is if both run games get stuffed and this turns into a shootout. I haven't seen Miami play this year - they don't typically go hurry up on offense do they?

If we both lose maybe we can help each other find a good price for a kidney on Craigs List.

[TABLE="class: data, width: 100%"]
<tbody>[TR="class: team odd"]
[TD="class: name, bgcolor: #FAFAF0"]225 MIAMI DOLPHINS[/TD]
[TD="class: line, bgcolor: #FAFAF0, align: center"]47o05[/TD]
[TD="class: line, bgcolor: #FAFAF0, align: center"]49 / 49.5 / 49[/TD]
[TD="class: currentline, bgcolor: #FAFAF0, align: center"]49.5[/TD]
[TD="class: line, bgcolor: #FAFAF0, align: center"]+280[/TD]
[TD="class: halftime, bgcolor: #FAFAF0, align: center"][/TD]
[TD="class: score, bgcolor: #FAFAF0"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: team even"]
[TD="class: name, bgcolor: #FAFAF0"]226 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS[/TD]
[TD="class: line, bgcolor: #FAFAF0, align: center"]-5 -09[/TD]
[TD="class: line, bgcolor: #FAFAF0, align: center"]-7 / -7 -15 / -7 -20[/TD]
[TD="class: currentline, bgcolor: #FAFAF0, align: center"]-7.5[/TD]
[TD="class: line, bgcolor: #FAFAF0, align: center"]-360[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Good shit Detox. My only worry is if both run games get stuffed and this turns into a shootout. I haven't seen Miami play this year - they don't typically go hurry up on offense do they?

If we both lose maybe we can help each other find a good price for a kidney on Craigs List.

Haha, i always make sure the guy im betting big with has no serious backing. Just in case we get to the kidney situation lol.

I would like to see how many plays per game they're averaging. Looking now, tough one to find.

Already at 7.5/49.5 on the site he uses. He might give out 8 and 50. Curious to see how he plays it but he always tries to manipulate it as if he knows what he's doing.

AFC is 15-5 SU against the NFC so far this season.

Everything screams New Orleans except for the line.

Em - what do you mean "except for the line". You think they would have made the Saints higher? ON paper this is still two 3-0 teams, and the public took a beating last week betting on ATL vs. the fish....

Detox - Miami runs 62 plays per game. Ranked 28th in the league in the NFL.... me gusta..

Wouldn't have guessed this one - Saints lead the NFL in time of possession in 2013...

A stat I don't like if backing the under - Third down conversion percentage offense. Miami 3rd, Saints 6th in NFL....

nice scdoggy, i like the under.

even my normal book is up to -7.5 -115 ... o/u 49

Going on the 'opening' line of 5.5, Doggy. Saints have beastly numbers at home as a TD or less fave and I still don't believe many have bought into the Fins, 'public' has bet accordingly.

That being said I'm still looking for reasons not to take the Saints, Tannehill will be put on his ass a lot tonight.

HOw's this Em - Miami Scores TD's 87.5% of the time when they get inside the 20. This is by far the best in the NFL. Denver is second at 81%.

I figured NO would be right behind them - not even close. They are last in the NFL. Tied with Jax at 33.3%.

I may talk myself into a Fins bet before we're done here....

Mia +8, under 50, Rays -120, over 7.5

:prayer
Like them all. Saints haven't beat anyone except Arizona by more than 6. And Arizona was held scoreless into the 4th quarter by the Bucs. So yes, I like Miami and all the points tonight :)

Back