Could Ohio State beat the Browns?

Are we talking about the same Ohio state here?

Their next few games are a murderers row

Home to Hawaii
Home to northern Illinois
Home to THE western Michigan
@ Indiana

I cheer for tOSU, but my head isn't in the sand. Coop never winning one was a national joke with those schedules. Under Tress, the schedules became even more of a joke. I'm sure most NCAAF coaches fighting for their jobs would trade their last 10 and next 10 non-conference schedules for Ohio State's.

Home to Hawaii
@ Indiana

Tougher than most years. Usually, they get the Ohio MAC in September, or mix in Buffalo, just a few years removed from 1AA.

I think we can agree that you're the worst arguer in the history of the internets.

You've been factually proven wrong at every level by Arizonakid yet you still can't tip your cap and move along. This is generally what separates smart people from dumb people. But maybe you're the exception.

OSU defeated the flagship program of the SEC in Louisi-fucking-ana with a 3rd stringer at QB and you're still on some SEC RULEZ insanity. That propaganda machine ended when the SEC West crapped itself last bowl season. Over. Done.

OSU has a home and home scheduled with ND in 2022 and 23. But judging from your previous replies I assume you will reply to my post with a complaint about how OSU refuses to schedule ND. Again, maybe you're the exception and you really really are a smart person in some walk of life. I sure hope so.

If you think tOSU non-conference hasn't been the stuff of pussies for decades, I don't know what to tell you.

Can we agree to this? All sports have their hairy warts, and major college football, where they only play a dozen games or so, their hairy warts are avoidable mismatches.

This year's early season slate is god awful.

They'll be exposed in November-January if they don't belong.

Home to Hawaii
@ Indiana

I think we can agree that you're the worst arguer in the history of the internets.

You've been factually proven wrong at every level by Arizonakid yet you still can't tip your cap and move along. This is generally what separates smart people from dumb people. But maybe you're the exception.

OSU defeated the flagship program of the SEC in Louisi-fucking-ana with a 3rd stringer at QB and you're still on some SEC RULEZ insanity. That propaganda machine ended when the SEC West crapped itself last bowl season. Over. Done.

OSU has a home and home scheduled with ND in 2022 and 23. But judging from your previous replies I assume you will reply to my post with a complaint about how OSU refuses to schedule ND. Again, maybe you're the exception and you really really are a smart person in some walk of life. I sure hope so.

I think the SEC is a little overrated, but I was talking about Ohio State's weak schedule.

I'm not looking it up, but Notre Dame has played Ohio State like four times in 65-75 years, and one of them was a bowl game, despite ND's best efforts. Notice how Notre Dame developed traditional rivalries with Michigan, Penn St., Michigan St., Purdue (they were good once upon a time). Notre Dame's MO has always been that they'll play anyone, anywhere. How do you think the USC rivalry got started? It wasn't about gate money. Ohio State ducking Notre Dame so as not to expose the high profile Catholic HS powerhouses in the state to Notre Dame wasn't a very guarded secret. Never helped much under Cooper, the high school coaches hated that fucker.

You can count their "good" home-and-homes on one hand. How about playing a ranked team, or traveling west of the Mississippi? Oops, that crazy advanced scheduling worked in their favor again. It's the Buckeyes' dirty little secret. They play nobody pretty much on purpose.

Advanced scheduling like Texas and getting Vince Young in return? Scheduling USC and still cop Pete Carroll? They scheduled VT when they were the dominant ACC team

Next couple of years they have Oklahoma. Down the track they get both Texas and Notre Dame in the same years. Critcise their schedule, but the fault lies with the piss weak Big 10

Everyone always points to Texas and USC, which, as I said, was a while ago. And hardly a tradition, like say Michigan-ND.

Let's talk about VT, Cal, Vandy, Cincy, Hawaii, Florida A&M, the annual MAC gauntlet, UCF, UAB, Marshall (no home-and-home), Colorado, Troy, YOUNGSTOWN STATE! at least twice.

Shameful.

Has a preseason #1 in reasonably modern history had a schedule with just one ranked team on it?

And I don't blame Urban Meyer, although I doubt he's complaining. I don't blame him because it's been going on in Columbus since the beginning of time.

This year's early season slate is god awful.

They'll be exposed in November-January if they don't belong.

Yes. If they're not good, we'll find out when they play a good team.

This site has such a boner for college football, not sure why I'm the one most irritated that the #1 team doesn't play another meaningful game until the weekend before Thanksgiving. (And yes, alan, I realize that's on the Big 10, not necessarily OSU. Especially when the B10 spices it up with a little Rutgers and Maryland.)

LMAO. You're seriously complaining about OSU not scheduling a has been team that's done fuck-all in the last however many years? I'm sure Meyer is pissing in his pants at the idea of playing ND, lolz. Not to mention OSU has soundly defeated ND the last 3 times the teams have played.

This reminds me of the 2002 NC year where you had people crying that OSU didn't play IOWA! Unfortunately, you can't schedule all 110+ FBS teams so there will always be a gripe. That's the nice thing about the current playoff system. You have to win your conference and then 2 neutral site games against top 4 teams. You win it, you earn it. But again, there will always be *that* drunken guy in the bar with a gripe. Such is life.

And it's terrific that you're privy to the inner workings of ND's athletic/scheduling department. I'm no expert on the matter but I was always under the impression that the Big 10 has desperately wanted ND to join the conference but ND doesn't want part ways with their lucrative status as an independent. Given ND's situation, they have 13 or so openings to fill and therefore go out on their own and schedule teams and create some non-geographical rivalries. Life as a conference member is a bit different.

I think the SEC is a little overrated, but I was talking about Ohio State's weak schedule.

I'm not looking it up, but Notre Dame has played Ohio State like four times in 65-75 years, and one of them was a bowl game, despite ND's best efforts. Notice how Notre Dame developed traditional rivalries with Michigan, Penn St., Michigan St., Purdue (they were good once upon a time). Notre Dame's MO has always been that they'll play anyone, anywhere. How do you think the USC rivalry got started? It wasn't about gate money. Ohio State ducking Notre Dame so as not to expose the high profile Catholic HS powerhouses in the state to Notre Dame wasn't a very guarded secret. Never helped much under Cooper, the high school coaches hated that fucker.

LMAO. You're seriously complaining about OSU not scheduling a has been team that's done fuck-all in the last however many years? I'm sure Meyer is pissing in his pants at the idea of playing ND, lolz. Not to mention OSU has soundly defeated ND the last 3 times the teams have played.

This reminds me of the 2002 NC year where you had people crying that OSU didn't play IOWA! Unfortunately, you can't schedule all 110+ FBS teams so there will always be a gripe. That's the nice thing about the current playoff system. You have to win your conference and then 2 neutral site games against top 4 teams. You win it, you earn it. But again, there will always be *that* drunken guy in the bar with a gripe. Such is life.

And it's terrific that you're privy to the inner workings of ND's athletic/scheduling department. I'm no expert on the matter but I was always under the impression that the Big 10 has desperately wanted ND to join the conference but ND doesn't want part ways with their lucrative status as an independent. Given ND's situation, they have 13 or so openings to fill and therefore go out on their own and schedule teams and create some non-geographical rivalries. Life as a conference member is a bit different.

I was using ND as an example that crossed several generations. When were you born, 1990? Ohio State's place on college football's map is Rhode Island to Notre Dame's Texas. OSU wouldn't schedule Penn St. when they were good either. They left the interesting non-conference games up to the big boys and played Bowling Green instead.

Yes, teams should schedule yearly out of conference games with Texas and Michigan which will allow them to play an elite team on a yearly basis. WHOOPS:rofl:

Everyone always points to Texas and USC, which, as I said, was a while ago. And hardly a tradition, like say Michigan-ND.

I was using ND as an example that crossed several generations. When were you born, 1990?

I live in the modern era of college football.

The successfulness of programs has a funny way of changing nearly overnight. This works out perfectly for those who want to gripe.

Why ?

They had a loss last season and were down to their 3rd string QB and beat Bama and Oregon for the Title.

When will Auburn and Bama stop scheduling FCS bye weeks before playing each other ?

When it keeps one of them out of the playoffs.

This conversation should center around out-of-conference scheduling only.

I don't think anyone disputes that the B1G hasn't been good and OSU doesn't have much of a choice but to play a B1G schedule.

Looking at the last five years, they had home-and-homes with Miami (FL), Cal (scheduled during Tedford years when Cal was consistently competent), and Va Tech. In '16 and '17 and '18 and '19, they've scheduled home-and-homes with Oklahoma and TCU respectively. Should we attribute fault or credit for this scheduling?

Beyond that, OSU regularly plays a couple of MAC opponents each year. Is that worth getting hung up on? Do we believe that because the B1G has been weak, OSU has an obligation to schedule additional power 5 non-conf opponents each year? Do we fault Tennessee for playing Bowling Green, or credit them for playing Oklahoma the following week?

Finally, in the last 5 years OSU has played the likes of Marshall (perennial Conf. USA contender), Cincinnati (perennial AAC contender), Navy (pain in the ass prep-wise), Colorado, UCF, and San Diego St. among others. Hardly world-beaters, but not quite cupcakes either.

And that seems to be the formula ... one seemingly strong power-5 opponent, a couple of MAC opponents, and one competent mid-level FBS/low level power 5 opponent. Unless you impute a duty to anticipate the B1G will be poor and schedule especially difficult out-of-conference, I don't know how you find fault in this. Certainly the same could be said of the ACC, the SEC East, and other power 5 programs.

they've scheduled home-and-homes with Oklahoma and TCU respectively. Should we attribute fault or credit for this scheduling?

And Texas, ND, and Oregon. In 2023 the play BC, ND, and Texas in the same season.

And you mention TCU. 2 years ago TCU was 7-6 and would've been considered the equivalent of beating VT. Maybe even less since VT actually has a better pedigree than TCU. Bottom line, people will ALWAYS gripe.

phife is pinning his argument on the 2023 schedule.

Look, I know Ohio State is not alone, I concede it's a college football problem. It's a joke. They're just the joke in my state, so it's the loudest one to me. And the Big Ten isn't doing 'em any favors by bolstering an already teetering conference with heavyweights like Rutgers and Maryland. There must be a better way to schedule than a couple hit-and-miss programs five years in advance, the occasional Texas, USC, Notre Dame, and a couple home games against the MAC in September attended by all the season-ticket-holders' least favorite in-laws.

Could Ohio State beat the Browns is the best rebirth of this thread so far. My head says no, but ... the Bucks looked pretty good last night.

You guys care way too much about Ohio State's schedule. My only concern is whether they are going to cover from week to week or not

I'm the 'Donald Trump' of deporting low intellect illegals here.

When elected, I'm deporting tipyerbartender from Ohio back to Michigan.

LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
phife is pinning his argument on the 2023 schedule.

Wait, OSU plays USC, Texas, VT, TCU, ND, Oregon, Oklahoma, and then Texas again...in 2023 alone?!?! Wow that's some schedule!

Reading just isn't your thing and I don't know how to fix that. Again, your argument has been factually refuted at every turn. Don't know what else to tell ya except keep cryin' about it since that's probably an activity you enjoy.

Just feel like college football always gets left out. Every year we get"how many NBA teams could Kentucky beat?".

Good discussion guys, but I think with Meyers relentless film study sessions this is a 9-7 squad
Don't think it's a fair analogy as football is obviously the more physical sport of the two. Fully developed grown men vs. still developing physically young men... Don't see how it would be any different than when Alabama and FSU schedule cream puffs like Savannah State.

Dumbest argument ever, hate when people bring it up... No college team would ever beat a pro team, ever!!!! they would absolutely get smoked.... I don't know the numbers of how many players from the Ohio State team will turn in the pros... On top of that how many of them will actually be a factor in the pros ?? A pro team from the top to the bottom of the roster is a pro team... They are all pros.. They already were the best college players at one point.. Entire roster was .. Just like players like Johnny Football... There Is a reason he beat Alabama(the best at the time) a couple times and succeeded in college... Don't want you common actually play against pro rosters a little bit different ... They would get dominated on both sides of the ball

hate him but good points but Cowherd

I think tOSU would do pretty well in the SEC and would be the favorite to win it this season, but it wouldn't be near as easy as Cowherd makes it seem. He is right about the rules favoring offense significantly more than defense.

Nice hair change for Colin. Guess his ESPN 'do wasn't hip/young enough for FOX

I think tOSU would do pretty well in the SEC and would be the favorite to win it this season, but it wouldn't be near as easy as Cowherd makes it seem. He is right about the rules favoring offense significantly more than defense.

Nice hair change for Colin. Guess his ESPN 'do wasn't hip/young enough for FOX

that is my point as well.

yeah I meant good points regarding the rules favoring Urban. I don't think tOSU would route the SEC but I still think they would be in the playoff if they played in the SEC West this season

tOSU is legit to say the least and I will try not to miss a game because of that explosive offense but the SEC isn't bad. Who needs good QB's when you have silly offensive lines that make holes the size of grocery store aisles for their RB's? Look at Alabama. Ingram, Richardson, Lacy and the list goes on. Saban's line made those guys look like gods. They are good, obviously but look at that line!

tOSU is legit to say the least and I will try not to miss a game because of that explosive offense but the SEC isn't bad. Who needs good QB's when you have silly offensive lines that make holes the size of grocery store aisles for their RB's? Look at Alabama. Ingram, Richardson, Lacy and the list goes on. Saban's line made those guys look like gods. They are good, obviously but look at that line!

We lost 3 games with them as our 3 deep in 2010

Back