College Football week 1 w/writeups.......

YesSir

Brian Windhorst
2005 Season

69-42-2 (62%)

What is going on everybody? Just thought I would look at some of these early games since I am taking a little break from the bases. Here are some thoughts and leans for week 1:

SEASON TOTALS-

OHIO STATE OVER 10 - This one kind of has me baffled. OSU over 10 is at a + 105 now! I figured this line would be about 10.5. Ohio State is pre-season number one and has a lot of hype surrounding this team. Looking through their schedule, I see 4 games that can potentially cause the Buckeyes trouble. They must travel to Austin to face the Longhorns early in the season. They play a night game at Iowa City towards the end of September. They take on an under-rated Spartan team in East Lansing and of course they play Michigan (at home). The first potential loss will be an exciting game that can go either way IMO. I think OSU is more talented but it will be tough to win this early game on the road. Lets not forget that OSU would have won that game last year if it was not for a dropped TD pass, a coaching mistake that would have set up a 2 possession game (run to get in FG position), and if Troy Smith would have played the whole game. That is another story soooo scratch that lol. The next game is against Iowa (probably a top 10 team by then). This game will be scary but I think the OSU offense is to powerful for this Hawkeye D. The Buckeyes have MSU sandwiched between Bowling Green and Indiana. This will give OSU plenty of time to prepare for the Spartans. Finally, Michigan comes to the shoe to end the season. This UM team has the potential to sneak up on teams like the 97 national championship team. Like always this game will be a toss up, no matter where each team is ranked. I like the Tressal factor to lead OSU past Michigan. Yes OSU has a tough schedule BUT I think at worse they go 10-2!

West Virginia OVER 10 OK you tell me where they could slip up?!? Marshall, East Washington, Maryland, East Carolina, Miss. State, Syracuse, UCONN, Louisville, Cinci, Pitt, South Florida, Rutgers? The first thought could/would be Maryland. Well they play Maryland at night in WV. You know how crazy these hillbillies get at night? The next game that troubles me is Louisville. This is a away game that I think will be closely contested and could go either way. They go to Pitt to play a team that has been beaten up but should start to get order restored. They get South Florida at home this year.... They also play rutgers at home this year. Rutgers scares me just because their offense should be good this year IMO. This team only has 5 games on the road (ECU, MSU, UCONN included).

WEEK 1

Northwestern -3(buy the hook) ...This game is a game of questions. Miami has many questions to fill regarding every aspect of their team. They do have a lot of talent that should help this team have a successful season. With that being said, I do not think they will become a good team until Mid-September/October. I think this will become a game where Miami fans will look back on as "Man we could/ should have won that game". NW is by no means that much further than Miami. CJ Bacher will likely be the starting QB for this team. He had a great spring game throwing for 2 TDs (8-11 121 yards). Though they have been hit hard at WR by graduation, Shaun Herbert will be back. I believe he was honorable mention all Big 10 last year (think of all the great WRs this conference has). Sophomore to be Tyrell Sutton is a top 10 back in the nation INO. This kid went to school in Akron (where I am from) and about shattered every high school record that this state has. He is unbelievable and had a great freshman season. I really expect him to be the difference in this game. On the line NW loses all American Zach Strief but returns the other monsters and should be fine. The bottom line in this game is Tyrell Sutton! I expect him to get upwards around 200 yards. I also will look at the over in this game because I expect a lack of defense both ways.

Kent State + 17 - I know many of you will be fading this pick BUT I like Kent in this spot. This is one of the biggest home games in KSU history. (Kent is about 15 minutes from my place). They have been advertising for this game all summer and have set up many pre-game festivities (which include beer pits at the game). Now to the teams: Michael Machen is Kent's starting QB. He returns after an up and down year. He has talent (was at Alabama for a year before he decided to play minor league baseball) and can be a viable QB. He is athletic and has size (6'6" 235). The Golden Flashes have two sub 4.4 backs (Sophomore Tony Howard and Freshman Eugene Jarvis). These speedy backs, along with 4 returning WRs should cause all types of problems for this Minnesota defense. Minnesota has a bad d-line that does not get any pressure on QBs (15 sacks in 12 games last year). With time, Machen could and will rip apart these Gopher DBs. And I already know people will be saying, "Well KSUs OL is terrible...." Yes they were not that good last year but word around here is that this will be one of their strengths this year. Augustus Parrish is a legitimate NFL prospect (Sophomore) that will anchor this line. Minny's OL is beaten up and bad and they still do not have a legitimate replacement for Gary Russel. BOTTOM LINE: These teams are heading in different directions. KSU can only go one way after a 1-10 season last year. Minnesota will suffer because of the loss of Russel and the loss of many of their key defensive players IMO. Kent has potential to have a good offense. I expect Kent to keep this close and have a chance to win it at the end.

Eastern Michigan + 4.5 As I have looked over a couple of boards I have noticed that Ball State seems to be a very popular pick- Why? Please tell me what is the big advantage for Ball State in this game? Is it because they beat NIU and Akron at the end of last year? Yes Ball State gets back QB Joey Lynch this year. He played well last year but is nothing spectacular. Ball State has 10 players back on offense this year. The man they are missing is at RB. I hear people talk about these receivers like they are TO and Randy Moss. These guys are bums- I think the guy with the most yards only had about 500 last year. Someone correct me if I am wrong there. Ball State has a terrible OL. I do not care if these guys are all back for the next 30 years they are bad. They gave up 43 sacks last year! On defense this team must replace 6 starters. Their DL only got 16 sacks all of last year. At LB, Ball State appeared to be strong until Brad Seiss went out with a knee injury. Last I heard his status for the season was questionable? Any updates? In the secondary they are very small (5'10 or 11" across the board). With a small and young secondary, and a lack of pass rush, I expect Tyler Jones to put up stats. Jones, who will replace Matt Bohnet has a lot of upside. RB is up for grabs with many contenders....I do not think it really matters, as I can run for 100 on this Ball State team lol. The X-factor is this game is Eric Deslauriers. He is a huge reciever (6-4 205) that has put up big numbers throughout his career. His numbers earned himself a first round draft choic in the CFL. He thinks he can play in the NFL, so he came back to college. He should cause all types of problems for this tiny secondary. A buddy of mine who I grew up with Trumaine Riley will be returning kicks/punts for EMU. He has the ability to take kicks and punts to the house. ESPN.com has a quote from his coach that says he has the ability to play at the next level. Bottom Line: We are looking at two 4-7 teams that both believe they can have successful 2006 campaigns. Both teams have many questions and weaknesses. The question I ask is, can each offense score on the other defense? Eastern Michigan will be able to score on Ball State. I am not very sure about Ball State.

Will be back with more later......Comments are welcomed and watend

Hey nice to see you around buddy and great writeups. However, I am on the other side of two plays and have taken Miami (OH) and Ball State. Good luck this year buddy.

"As I have looked over a couple of boards I have noticed that Ball State seems to be a very popular pick- Why? Please tell me what is the big advantage for Ball State in this game?"

First of all, nice reasoning on all plays. I agree with you on them all except the Ball State play. I think the fact that Ball State was able to finish their season 3-1 shows improvement, especially since 2 of those wins were against the top two teams in this conference. They now bring back 18 starters off this team and start their season AT HOME playing one of the teams they beat in theri 3-1 ending season of last. Pretty remarkable for a team that started and played most of their season with half the team suspended or injured. The momentum factor is a big factor in college football. This team is excited about the way the season ended and they believe they can be even better. This should provide enough motivation and confidence to get the job done on their home turf against a team that cannot be proven as "better" than Ball St.

Mista- Thanks bro! BOL to you:wacka wacka:

Soonerbs- Thanks...Yes, Ball State did win 3 out of 4 to end last year... I think this is the only aspect that favors Ball State. And the fact that one of those teams was EMU that they beat...if I remember correctly? A lot of people say because they have so much returning....Well the question I propose is "Is all returners a good thing?" I say no for the fact of all the trouble that these kids have caused. You can blame last years bad season on the fact that these kids were suspended. I look at these kids as more of a cancer to the team than help....Great info and BOL to you this season:wacka wacka:

Aztec- Yes I believe they will answer the "questions" before this Miami team...BOL to you this season :wacka wacka:

More Leans:

Tennessee - 2 over Cal- I will start with Cal... They have the potential to be one of the top teams in the country this year and have a good chance to win the Pac 10. Since his take over 5 years ago, Jeff Tedford has completely turned to Cal program around. With this being the first year where only his players are here, Cal backers expect big things. The top scoring defense in the Pac 10 from a year ago returns 8 starters and looks to have another good year. Offensively they lost 3 lineman to the draft. A Duke transfer, Tyler Krieg should help solidify this line. Andrew Cameron, if he can stay healthy, will also help this OL. Cal is loaded in the skilled positions (WR, TE, and RB). At QB it looks more and more like Nate Longshore will be the man. He originally was the starter last year before breaking his ankle. He put up decent stats in one game BUT it was against Sacramento State! This passing attack finished last in the Pac 10 a year ago. Tennessee is coming off one of their worse years in the modern era. This usually great football power, went from pre-season Top 5 to losing to Vanderbilt and not making a bowl. 3 of their 6 losses could be pointed to the fact of missed opportunities. They needed 1 first down against Vanderbilt to seal the game and could not. Against Bama they fumbled a sure TD run and against SC missed opps gave them a 1 pt. loss I believe. Defensively this team is absolutely stacked. The DL lost players from a year ago but have tons of talent to step in. Jason Herril is a big kid that will anchor this DL. Scouting reports say that he had a great spring and is ready to produce this Fall. Along with this Volunteer LB crew the secondary has a lot of talent. Offensively, this team has many questions. The RB slot is not one of them. THey have a 3 headed monster if you will; with Arian Foster(100+ yards in all 5 starts a year ago), Montario Hardesty (originally ahead of Foster but blew out his knee), and LaMarcus Coker ( a third back that underwent off-season surgery). At WR there are many upper-class-man fighting for the jobs. My favorite out of these is junior Cutcliffe ( he coached here before going to Miss for awhile; correct me if I am wrong). The coaches are pleased with his progression. BOTTOM LINE: Cal is a good team that ultimately will be ranked higher than Tennessee IMO. I do not think Cal is ready to win a game of this magnitude this early in the season. They are traveling 2500 miles to play before one of the toughest crowds in the nation. With an unproven OL and a question at QB I expect CAL to struggle. Couple these things with the talent on the defensive side of the ball for Tenn. and I expect a low scoring victory for Tenn

NORTHWESTERN. :cheers:

A VERY CLOSE FRIEND HAS BEEN TO 4 PRACTICES OF TENN'S. RIGHT NOW THEY HAVE NO OFFENSE,AINGE IS STINKING UP THE PLACE.SAID HE IS AFRAID OF GETTING HIT,SLIDES DOWN AND THROWS THE BALL AWAY OFF HIS BACK FOOT.RUNNING GAME IS NOT HELPING,O-LINE IS JUST NOT GETTING IT DONE.HE TOLD ME THAT THE NEXT RUNNING BACK STAR FOR TENN IS NOT IN KNOXVILLE RIGHT NOW.SAYS TENN WILL HAVE PROBLEM SCORING POINTS AGAINST ABOVE AVERAGE DEFENSES.

GL YES

Im about to be on the Tenn game, not sure if you saw my writeup on it, just waitin for the line to drop a little more,

UTSUX said:
NORTHWESTERN. :cheers:

A VERY CLOSE FRIEND HAS BEEN TO 4 PRACTICES OF TENN'S. RIGHT NOW THEY HAVE NO OFFENSE,AINGE IS STINKING UP THE PLACE.SAID HE IS AFRAID OF GETTING HIT,SLIDES DOWN AND THROWS THE BALL AWAY OFF HIS BACK FOOT.RUNNING GAME IS NOT HELPING,O-LINE IS JUST NOT GETTING IT DONE.HE TOLD ME THAT THE NEXT RUNNING BACK STAR FOR TENN IS NOT IN KNOXVILLE RIGHT NOW.SAYS TENN WILL HAVE PROBLEM SCORING POINTS AGAINST ABOVE AVERAGE DEFENSES.

GL YES

That's what I have been reading as well. But, I've also been reading some negatives on Cal. It will be a "no play" for me.

SOONER I AGREE. I'M ON THE FENCE RIGHT NOW BUT CAL'S OFFENSE SHOULD THROW ME OVER.THEY MIGHT HAVE TENN ON THIER HEELS THE WHOLE GAME WITH THIER RUN AND PASS OPTIONS.
WAITING TILL GAME TIME.I'LL GIVE MORE UPDATES WHEN I GET THEM. :wacka wacka:

SHSUHorn- Thanks bro....looking forward to my Buckeyes vs. your Horns:down: :spank: ....It will be a great game......also looking forward to reading your thouhgts/picks as the season goes on:shake:

UTSux- Can you please ask your friend about Arian Foster? I do not see any reason why this kid will not be a star? He only started the last 5 games of the year....148 yards against South Carolina, 125 yards at Notre Dame, 132 yards against Memphis, 223 yards against Vanderbilt, and 114 yards against Kentucky. He also became part of the passing game the last 2 games (9 catches for 99 yards). As far as Ainge, I have read that he has mastered this offense. I originally posted it but somehow it got deleted(I think I messed up some how). Cutliffe (the new O coordinator) has spent all summer with Ainge. The whole thing about him sliding....I am sure the coaches are telling him to slide- I do not think they really want him getting hit, let alone in practice. And just wondering why is your name UTsux?? Is that for Texas or Tennessee??? Thanks for the post and BOL to you:cheers: :shake:

TheLegend- No I have not seen your writeup BUT I will definately check it out...in this forum?:wacka wacka: :bow:

Sooner- If you have a link about this can you please post it? Someone else told me some of the same info but did not have a link for it. I often read stuff and do remember where I get it because of the 1000s of things I read, so if not no big deal if you do not remember. :cheers: :shake:

YesSir, no, sir. LOL Every day I read all the "site news" on ESPN Insider (about 500 daily reports), as well as a plethora of other media sources. BUT, if I read some more, I'll post them for you.
beerchug.gif

Like I said, I've read negative on both side and it's got me off either side.

I have to think Ball St. is a better team than EMU. Both teams weren't great but you take a home team week 1, a low spread and an offense basically in-tact... it shouldn't be a large play either way. But I'm with Sooner and leanin Ball.

Your posts has made me drop my lean on Minny... without their trio of RB stars this is just too big a spread even if it is against a pathetic program.

NW like everyone else thinks looks and feels good... maybe a lil too good but I'll ride there.

GL

Sooner- No problem. I, like you, also read numerous things and do not always remember where I read them. thanks:cheers:

Inspekdah- Thanks bro! Hopefully you taking Minny off the board will save ya some money!....BOL to you in week 1:cheers:

added leans:

Central Michigan + 14 - First I want to let you all know that I think Central Michigan will have a great year. Lets first look at BC though: The Eagles return this year with about half their starters from a year before (return 6 on both sides). Matt Ryan(undefeated as a starter 5-0) is back and ready to roll at QB for the Eagles. Though he is yet to be tested for a full season, where teams have time and tape to prepare with. Ryan's passing game could take a major hit due to the fact that both starting receivers and the number 1 TE graduated. BC is once again strong in the secondary with 3 returners. Also they have the 1-2 punch at RB that amassed over 1500 yards last season. BC has a big O-line that will help keep rushers off Ryan. Graduation and the NFL will put a big dent in the BCs DL. They will look to the HUGE B.J. Raji to anchor this line. Brian Toal (played some FB last year I believe?)becomes the main man at LB with the other starters graduating. Biggest concerns I have for BC is their lack of receivers and weak DL. As far as Central Michigan: Most people think of this team as the team that got their asses handed to them game after game a few years ago. In fact last year they had a winning season(6-5) that could have been a lot better. Believe it or not guys, this team is a decent team that will be better this year. In fact they were on top of the MAC for the majority of the season, before losing 2 outta 3 to close out the year. They beat Toledo, Miami (OH), and MAC champs Akron. Now I am not comparing these teams to BC but those are solid programs CMU would not contend with a few years ago. What I find most compelling about this team is the fact that they were disappointed in last year (because the way they closed it out) instead of rejoicing in the school's 2nd winning season in a decade. Coach Brian Kelley said. "Last year we were still pretenders," he said, "we got there and we couldn't finish at the end." found on ESPN.com Kelley, the players, and the school have high hopes for this team this year. And they should with 7 returning starters on both sides of the ball. Sophomore sensation Ontario Sneed (over 1000 yards 4.8 per carry) is back at RB. Damien Linson leads a WR core that lost one player and is very experienced. Who is going to get them the ball though? That is the question that many people do not have an answer for. Last I heard, Brian Brunner is the favorite to take this spot. Scouting report says that this kid does not have the most talent but is a smart QB that makes the right decision. From what I have read I picture a Craig Krentzel type QB. 4 starters return on the OL, for a team that put up over 400 yards a game. On the defensive side of the ball the Chips return a lot of talent. MAC defensive player of the year Dan Bazuin returns just 13 sacks away from the conference record. Also they have strong LBs with two second team ALL MAC players. The DBs will have new players for the fact that Kelley wanted more size in the secondary. BOTTOM LINE: I think this line is big because of the perception of Central Michigan. This is a game that should have this home team/fans fired up. The Chips really think they can win this game. One of the hardest things to beat in college football is confidence IMO. Also, BCs second game is a big conference game against Clemson. College kids tend to look over teams they "are supposed to crush" to focus on the big game. I think CMU is ready for the spotlight and can compete in this game. This game has the feel of BC vs Ball State a couple of years ago when Ball State almost pulled the upset off to start the season...

Thanks Matt and KyaThu :cheers:

added leans:

Utah State + 13 OK here is a little info about both teams first: Wyoming has 12 returning starts ( 6 on both side of the ball). This team had a bowl win in 2004 and started off last year with a 4-1 record. From what I remember and have read, they started having many TOs. They lost their last 6 games of the year. I think they had 7 or 8 turnovers in one of those games! Defensively they are switching to a new defense (3-4). They made the switch because they feel they recruit quality LBs. They do expect many growing pains in this switch. They have no experience at QB but 1 and 2 both had huge high school careers. There are problems within the RBs. Not sure if they have settled it but i know the freshman that set some school records was pissed about not being named the number 1 back in the Spring. Instead he was slated as a "co starter". They have one returning receiver but no major yards coming back. They have a highly touted freshmen in Derrick Levy that they will probably throw into the tank. Their OL is strong and should help this inexperienced offense. Defensively they are strong at DL and with the LB core. Secondary is hit up by Derrick Martin(late rd. pick by BAL i think) going pro instead of playing his senior year. They also have one of the top return men in the MW coming back. Utah State was 3-8 last year. They return 14 starters (8 on offense 6 on defense). Their coach came in last year and did what a high school coach would do. He dumped the seniors and started all of the freshman. Utah State returns 6 defenders from a team that finished 4th in the WAC in defense. They have 3 LBs returning along with both DT and one man in the secondary. FS Terrence Washington appears to be the best player on this defense. He is an NFL talent if he remains healthy. Surrounding him will be a youth movement like last year. Offensively Leon Jackson will return as the starter. Throughout the season I would watch this guy to make sure he is healthy....he is not that durable because of his runners mentality. His athletic ability should cause problems for Wyoming. Last year this teams back combined for less than 600 yards. Newcomer JUCO) who rushed for over 1100 yards and 14 TDs last year, will help this team. The WR core is deadly and will compete as one of the top groups in the WAC. BOTTOM LINE: I think 13 is way too many points in this game. Both teams have many questions and are not that good. Honestly, right now I think Utah State is the better team and think they could win this game SU.

has anyone seriously seen Utah St. play lately?...I have, about 4 times as they are in the WAC and I get a lot of WAC games out here...they flat out suck...not that Wyoming's that great, but I wouldn't trust this team with my money...

If I'm correct Utah St's ONLY wins came over the bottom barrel of the league teams. They have to be one of the worst programs in the nation and just because they return more starters I can't give them the nod over Wyoming. Wyoming should have went to a bowl game last year. They might have been the best 4-7 team in the country. They played tough in the Swamp week 1 and then got off to a terrific start before honestly just being cursed.

I agree Pags it would be hard to trust Utah St. until they prove a turnaround is on the horizon. I never saw them play... but I sure as hell faded them last season all the way to the bank in key scenarios.

Pags and inspekdah _ Thanks for the posts! Yes, Wyoming might have been the best 4-7 team last year- but was does that mean? I do not think this team has any business given anybody more than a TD. Yes they were 7-5 in 2004 and started off good last year. They had potential but were failures. They did not exactly lose to powerhouses last year. I think that Utah state could be a .500 team this year. Yes I have seen this team play ( I know how pathetic they were/are). But if you give me 13 against Wyoming, 9 out of 10 times I will take it. I will take it especially if my team has a returning athletic QB and a duo of good receivers. BOL this year:cheers:

OSU/N ILL OVER 50 - NIU returns 7 starters from a team that ranked 2nd in scoring defense last year. With that being said, they have lost their two best players. One anchored the line and the other held the secondary together. With no true star or proven "leader" on this defense, I look for Ohio State to have a field day. Even last year with a better defense, this team surrendered many points to the high-profile offenses (Michigan 33 pts., NW 38, Akron 48, Miami OH 27, Akron 31). Their stats came from the likes of WMU (7 pts), Kent State (3 pts), Eastern Michigan (8 pts), and Tennessee Tech (3pts). Ohio State on the defensive side of the ball is untested. After 4 players on the defensive side of the ball decided to leave school early, OSU only returns 2 starters. Both of these guys are monsters, but both are on the DL. Ohio State has tons of track stars and 5 star prospects that they will be throwing into the mix so I would not worry about this defense too much. At the same time, this defense has the makings of a big play defense. They will give up yards and points but will have sacks and INTs throughout the year IMO. NIU returns the nations leading running back in Garrett Wolfe (1580 yards 16 TDs). Also they have a good QB in Phil Horvath. This team led the MAC in offense last year, and has many weapons returning. Everyone knows about OSUs offense so I will not go into much detail about that. One thing that worries me in this game is if OSU gets a big lead early- they might completely close down the playbook so they do not show Texas anything. BOTTOM LINE: This game has all the makings of a track meet. 2 powerful offenses vs. 2 inexperienced defenses. I can see Ohio State covering this mark by themselves.

Tennessee/ Cal UNDER 43.5 - Cal had the best scoring defense in the Pac 10 last year. They return 8 starters from that team. Tennessee returns one of the better defenses in the nation from a year ago. CAL has an unproven line and a QB that not much is known about. Couple these, with some other reasons already stated in this thread and I look for a 21-17 OR 17-14 type game.

Helluva discussion thread. Excellent thoughts by all.

YesSir, your thoughts are great. Excellent opposing viewpoint to the Minny/Kent game. I too like EMU and have already played them.

UTSUX- thanks bro:cheers:

TroyStacks:cheers:

PlutoBrown- I like the over for the reasons I stated in my writeup. Many people seem to be taking NIU and I cannot really blame them. Tressal has traditionally taken an easy on the smaller schools. He will get the early lead and the play field position the rest of the game. With that being said, it is not Craig Krenzal or Justin Zwick QBing for the Bucks this year. Troy Smith, a new look spread offense and world class speed on the outside(Ginn, Hartline, Gonzalez) might convince Tressal to let the Buckeyes ball. With a lead you might see a lot of runs though (this is what scares my over play). Pittman had the second best year (yard-wise) as any Sophomore back in OSU history. OSU fans want to see this back along with freshman sensation Chris Wells (number one recruit in the nation last year IMO)....The info was jumbled but I meant well with it....lol:cheers:

B.A.R.- Thanks man...everyone is doing a great job with valid points and opposing views.... What did you get that game at? :cheers:

Fondybagger- thanks bro:cheers:
ADDED THOUGHT

North Texas + 41 OVER 54- Now before anyone jumps all over me in this game, let me explain. Throughout the year I always look for these types of games. There is SOOOO much value in playing both of these it is insane. Do I think North Texas will cover the 41 point spread? I think they can BUT I am not too positive of it. The reason I played these 2 plays is simple. There is a VERY Good chance that I will not lose money here. To guarantee at least a split, NT must just score one TD. If they score 7 points, Texas must score 49 to cover the spread. With a final score of 49-7 Texas covers the spread BUT the total hits. There are only a number of instances where I would lose both bets. If Texas wins 42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51,52,53, or 53-0. And there are a couple of other scenarios if North Texas scores less than a TD. The main question we must consider is will North Texas score a TD? I say yes they will. NT had some bad offensive numbers last year. Most of that was due in part to the beginning of the season. The final 6 games they played like a differnt team on the offensive side of the ball. They were never shut out last year and scored 28,24,19, and 23 points in their last 4 games (yes they were shitty teams). They get 9 starters back on offense and should be a decent unit this year. Texas lost 2 all americans on defense. Yes, like Ohio State, they have stars waiting to emerge but they may be shaky on day 1. BOTTOM LINE: these are just two great value plays IMO

Yes Sir - always need to look for these type of plays. I'm a fan of playing them as well. Good luck with the latest one, I"ll be on that myself.

YesSir said:
Fondybagger- thanks bro:cheers:
ADDED THOUGHT

North Texas + 41 OVER 54- Now before anyone jumps all over me in this game, let me explain. Throughout the year I always look for these types of games. There is SOOOO much value in playing both of these it is insane. Do I think North Texas will cover the 41 point spread? I think they can BUT I am not too positive of it. The reason I played these 2 plays is simple. There is a VERY Good chance that I will not lose money here. To guarantee at least a split, NT must just score one TD. If they score 7 points, Texas must score 49 to cover the spread. With a final score of 49-7 Texas covers the spread BUT the total hits. There are only a number of instances where I would lose both bets. If Texas wins 42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51,52,53, or 53-0. And there are a couple of other scenarios if North Texas scores less than a TD. The main question we must consider is will North Texas score a TD? I say yes they will. NT had some bad offensive numbers last year. Most of that was due in part to the beginning of the season. The final 6 games they played like a differnt team on the offensive side of the ball. They were never shut out last year and scored 28,24,19, and 23 points in their last 4 games (yes they were shitty teams). They get 9 starters back on offense and should be a decent unit this year. Texas lost 2 all americans on defense. Yes, like Ohio State, they have stars waiting to emerge but they may be shaky on day 1. BOTTOM LINE: these are just two great value plays IMO

Don't do it. Texas is going to kill UNT. The question is just by how much. The only way UNT will cover is through the backdoor.

YesSir said:
UTSUX- thanks bro:cheers:

TroyStacks:cheers:

PlutoBrown- I like the over for the reasons I stated in my writeup. Many people seem to be taking NIU and I cannot really blame them. Tressal has traditionally taken an easy on the smaller schools. He will get the early lead and the play field position the rest of the game. With that being said, it is not Craig Krenzal or Justin Zwick QBing for the Bucks this year. Troy Smith, a new look spread offense and world class speed on the outside(Ginn, Hartline, Gonzalez) might convince Tressal to let the Buckeyes ball. With a lead you might see a lot of runs though (this is what scares my over play). Pittman had the second best year (yard-wise) as any Sophomore back in OSU history. OSU fans want to see this back along with freshman sensation Chris Wells (number one recruit in the nation last year IMO)....The info was jumbled but I meant well with it....lol:cheers:

B.A.R.- Thanks man...everyone is doing a great job with valid points and opposing views.... What did you get that game at? :cheers:

hey bro...I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, and I'll look em up, but our numbers vs small schools have been favorable ATS under Tressel I believe, esp week one..

Thanks everyone

Here is what i have locked in for tomorrow..will post more if I see something:

Northwestern - 3.5 (hook)

Central Michigan + 14

Kent State + 16.5

Eastern Michigan + 4.5

Thanks all

FINAL CARD FOR THURSDAY

Northwestern - 3.5 (hook)

Central Michigan + 14

Kent State + 16.5

Eastern Michigan + 4.5