Coaching Changes

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Southern Miss - new HBC Larry Fedora repoted in USA Today</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<HR color=#cccccc noShade>
Southern Mississippi hired Oklahoma State assistant Larry Fedora as its new coach Wednesday, the Associated Press has learned.
A person close to the Southern Miss program, who spoke on condition of anonymity because an official announcement had not been made, confirmed Fedora has been chosen to replace Jeff Bower, who resigned last month after 17 years.

A news conference was scheduled later Wednesday to officially announce Fedora's hiring.

Fedora visited the Southern Miss campus late last week, and had been considered the front-runner in athletic director Richard Giannini's search.

Fedora just completed his third season as the Cowboys' offensive coordinator and has 16 years of collegiate coaching experience. This will be his first job as head coach, however.

The latest from Gamecock dream land

-They called SC and requested the job.
-Spurrier desperately wants this person.
-The BOT has already met, and the details of the contract have been worked out.
-The contract is said to be worth somewhere in the $400,000 range (consider that we were paying Nix $195,000).
-Everything is finalized, but the coach (who initiated the contact) has to officially accept the offer.

However, if the B.O.T met and they ironed out the money details, this thing should settle today or early 2morrow.

no way jump

i put foster at +1000

i honestly have NO CLUE, its being kept a good secret.

I don't even know where to start but no way would foster come to SC

I say that and than I read this:

"I'm hearing from an extremely good source that the new DC will be named Friday. I was told it is Bud Foster. All I can tell you is that this source has never steered me worng with Gamecock insider info. There is always a first time for everything, but he is ususally dead on. I hope he is right! I will also tell you that Kevin Steel wants the job and has relayed that to SOS through several sources. One being the same agent that they both share. Either guy would be a huge pick up for our program. I'm also trying to confirm the Robbie Caldwell rumor. He is a great OL coach and an even better recruiter. I'd love to see that happen. I know him personally and i've got a call into him now. I'll let you guys & gals know what I find out."

I honestly don't think so though unless they promised him a hard look at the HC job when Spurrier is done but who knows, that is what, maybe 5-6 years down the road. I don't know why he would go from VT to SC though as DC and not get a HC job somewhere in the country. I still say no its not Foster

Seems everyone on that forum has an "inside source" I just don't see this one happening though

Only thing I can think of is he wants to make a mark w/ a defense in the SEC as a stepping stone to a HC job whereas the ACC is so down that anything he does there won't be respected...

esp after the LSU debacle.

Anyone know what Foster makes at VT? I am seeing multiple people pull out their "my inside information says Foster and 400k"

From 05:

Sources said Sexton and Virginia Tech officials have agreed on Beamer's salary and contract length, but were still apart on the compensation packages for his nine assistant coaches. Three of Beamer's assistants -- associate head coach-running backs coach Billy Hite, defensive coordinator-inside linebackers coach Bud Foster and offensive coordinator-offensive line coach Bryan Stinespring -- have guaranteed five-year appointments, which are believed to be the longest contracts of any assistants in the country. The other six Tech aides have two-year contracts. Foster was the highest-paid Hokies assistant last year, earning $184,149.

link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/22/AR2005082201412.html

Its 100% not Tenuta though.

Someone stated in another thread that you said Tenuta was going to LSU? Is that true?

- I think he's either going to stay at GT or end up at LSU. That's just my guess based on some things I've heard.

This would be a great friggen hire but I am not getting my panties wet. I didn't know he made less than 200k but damn I just can't see him moving to SC,

Its 100% not Tenuta though.

Someone stated in another thread that you said Tenuta was going to LSU? Is that true?

- I think he's either going to stay at GT or end up at LSU. That's just my guess based on some things I've heard.
I said i've read multiple places he lands where Miles lands at as DC...that's from reliable tOSU insider..but who knows.

The other side of the coin is.. Say it is Foster and the decision won't be announced until Friday, that gives VT ample time to come in and make him an offer he can't refuse which he could be using SC as a whore

after doing some more research, I still stick with "NO" on Foster, just can't see it being more than an internet rumor

Norm Chow is going to interview for the UCLA job.

if he doesn't get it, all signs point to DC DeWayne Walker getting the job.

after doing some more research, I still stick with "NO" on Foster, just can't see it being more than an internet rumor

and the moderator on hokie net assures me that i am right.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Re: Anyone with a subscription to Hokie Haven?</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
He wrote: "Again, Bud Foster is not leaving Virginia Tech. This is just a rumor."

----------------At this point, today has been a circus and I am tired of sifting through the bullshit. Everyone has a source who told them who the coach is yet no one has confirmed 1 name. BF would of been an amazing hire but gota be realistic. I have NO CLUE who it might be, just that they will be making around 400k , I'll refrain from filling this thread with garbage and wait until I have something concrete

No way Foster leaves VT. Alot more bigger programs have gone after this guy and he said no. He wants to be the head coach at VT.

If SC lands him I'll be frickin shocked.

Rumors on the Texas board is they want Steele as well for DC. The only thing is Mack is waiting till after the bowl to make changes which gives other teams a headstart.

I wouldn't mind stealing another Auburn DC again.

I was def never sold on Foster leaving VT to come to SC, I didn't understand that move really.

The latest from the most reliable gamecock insider there is:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Defensive coordinator search Wednesday afternoon update....</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I am not optimistic about things working out with the candidate I referred to in last night's update. I'm not completely ruling it out yet, but I don't think it looks good based on what I've heard this afternoon.

Assuming it doesn't work out, I don't yet know who Spurrier will turn to. I can tell you he's committed to hiring a "home run." He is NOT going to settle for a lesser candidate. He wants someone that he can completely turn the reigns of the defense over to, which will allow him (Spurrier) to do what he does best on offense.

Once I know more, I'll pass it on.

I know it's old news... but Bobby Petrino to Arkansas

no no , good add, Don't know how I forgot.

UPDATED LIST:

Nutt to Ole Miss
Sherman to TAMU
Briles to Baylor
Pelini to Nebraska
P. Johnson to GT
Petrino to Arky
Larry Fedora to SoMiss

UPDATED LIST:

Nutt to Ole Miss
Sherman to TAMU
Briles to Baylor
Pelini to Nebraska
P. Johnson to GT
Petrino to Arky
Larry Fedora to SoMiss
Kevin Sumlin to Houston

Spurrier Says DC Hiring Might Be Near

Phil Kornblut

Published: Friday, December 14, 2007

USC football coach Steve Spurrier said Friday his search for a new defensive coordinator could end within a week. "It's coming along pretty good I guess," Spurrier said after speaking at the annual Shrine Bowl Luncheon in Spartanburg. "When we have a guy we'll let everybody know. There's been a lot of interest. I'm going to try my best to hire a proven guy that has an excellent track record for coaching defense. Hopefully do that within a week or so." Spurrier said the job has not been officially offered at this point. "There's a lot of guys that I've sort of indirectly been in touch with," Spurrier said. As to whether the university is willing to up the annual salary to the 300-400 thousand neighborhood for a defensive coordinator, Spurrier said the administration has told him it would. "Yea, our athletic director and our board, our trustees, they all want to play football at South Carolina," Spurrier said. "So, yea, if we hire a proven guy, certainly it is the going rate, we'll pay. Sure. Three to four is what they are all getting now. Our university knows that."

Cutcliffe to Duke

BC-FBC--Cutcliffe-Duke, 4th Ld-Writethru,0693
URGENT
Source: Duke hires Cutcliffe as football coach
Eds: UPDATES.
AP Photo NY174
By JOEDY McCREARY
AP Sports Writer
DURHAM, N.C. (AP) - David Cutcliffe, the former Mississippi
coach who spent the last two seasons as Tennessee's offensive
coordinator, was hired by Duke on Friday, The Associated Press has
learned.
Cutcliffe will be introduced as Duke's head coach during a news
conference Saturday, a person familiar with the decision said on
condition of anonymity because the announcement hadn't yet been
made.
At Duke, he'll have the difficult task of building the Blue
Devils into winners after the team won just 22 games during the
past 13 seasons.
The decision to hire Cutcliffe apparently was reached during an
evening meeting of Duke's search committee. The 53-year-old coach
said earlier in the day he had interviewed for the position, but
denied receiving an offer.
With the hiring, Duke turned to the mentor of the Manning family
of quarterbacks to shed its well-documented struggles. Cutcliffe
worked with Peyton Manning during the coach's first stint at
Tennessee, and later coached Eli Manning at Mississippi.
The Blue Devils have endured three losing streaks of 15 or more
games during the last 13 seasons, have lost at least 10 games in
three straight seasons and fired Ted Roof last month after a 1-11
finish and a 6-45 overall mark during four-plus seasons.
Earlier Friday night, Duke athletic director Joe Alleva declined
to say whether anyone had been offered the job, but as he left his
office at Cameron Indoor Stadium at about 7:30 p.m. he expressed
confidence that a hire was coming soon.
"By the end of the weekend, we'll be done," Alleva said.
Cutcliffe, one of six coaches known to have interviewed for the
job, met both main criteria laid out nearly three weeks ago by
Alleva, who wanted to replace Roof with an experienced head coach
from the Bowl Subdivision who has an offense-minded reputation.
Cutcliffe has been on Phillip Fulmer's Tennessee staff for the
past two seasons, orchestrating the offense and working with the
Volunteers' quarterbacks, but has longed to become a head coach
again.
"We all kind of have a desire to run a program - that's kind of
why I got into it," Cutcliffe said at Tennessee's media day in
advance of the Vols' Outback Bowl appearance. "That really hasn't
changed. I'm still fairly young ... but I just feel like there's a
lot left out there to be done."
It was not immediately clear if Cutcliffe would remain for the
bowl game.
Cutcliffe was 44-29 in six seasons at Mississippi, but in less
than a year went from Cotton Bowl champion to the unemployment
line.
The only coach in Ole Miss history to win at least seven games
in each of his first five seasons, Cutcliffe guided the Rebels to
four bowl berths, and clearly, his Eli Manning-led 2003 team was
his best.
Ole Miss won 10 games, claimed a share of the SEC West title and
beat Oklahoma State in the Cotton Bowl that season. But the
following season, the Rebels had trouble replacing the first-round
draft pick, and they slipped to a 4-7 finish. Days after the season
ended, Ole Miss administrators urged him to make changes to his
staff, and when he refused, he was fired.
He joined Charlie Weis' first staff at Notre Dame in 2005, but
resigned before the season started because he was taking longer
than expected to recover from triple bypass surgery.
Coincidentally, he was replaced by Peter Vaas, who left South Bend
before this season to run the Duke offense.
In 2006, Cutcliffe rejoined Fulmer, his longtime friend and
mentor, at Tennessee, and orchestrated the Vols' offense for the
past two seasons while hoping for another chance at a head coaching
job. Now, he has that opportunity at Duke.
---
Associated Press Writer Beth Rucker in Knoxville, Tenn.,
contributed to this report.

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

AP-NY-12-14-07 2136EST

UPDATED LIST

Nutt to Ole Miss
Sherman to TAMU
Briles to Baylor
Pelini to Nebraska
P. Johnson to GT
Petrino to Arky
Larry Fedora to SoMiss
Kevin Sumlin to Houston
Cutcliffe to Duke

Other news:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Sunday afternoon defensive coordinator update....</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
By now, you all have probably heard that Virginia Tech Bud Foster officially declined the USC defensive coordinator's job.

While I have not been able to officially confirm who Spurrier's next target is, I'm still hearing that the hire could come quickly. Again, not earth shattering information, but I do understand it's someone with a lot of coordinator experience.

Once I know more, I'll pass it on.

<SCRIPT language=javascript>if (getCookie("HideSigs") != 1) {document.writeln('');} </SCRIPT>

---------Rumor is Ellis Johnson from Miss St or VanGorder

Guys, I'm sorta out of the loop and need an answer to a simple question. Is Rodriguez coaching West Virginia in the Bowl game and is Carr doing the same for Michigan?

Guys, I'm sorta out of the loop and need an answer to a simple question. Is Rodriguez coaching West Virginia in the Bowl game and is Carr doing the same for Michigan?

Rod will not coach WVU

I think Carr is coaching Mich

Update from the Circus

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Tuesday afternoon defensive coordinator update (12:56)</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Here is the latest I have picked up:

Coach Spurrier is treating this search much like a school would a head coaching search. He is doing his due diligence by interviewing multiple candidates in an effort to find the right fit.

The only coach who has received an offer so far is Bud Foster, and you all know by now how that played out.

The other coaches I can confirm he has had contact with are:

Jon Hoke
Reggie Herring
Brian VanGorder
Ellis Johnson

He has not had any contact with:

Ed Orgeron
Jon Tenuta

I hear his interviews are expected to be wrapped up by tomorrow, if not by the end of the day today. Once they are complete, he is expected to move into the negotiation process with another candidate and try to get the deal done.

At this point, I can’t even guess who the top candidate is.

I’m not sure Hoke wants to leave the NFL, but I think he would be Spurrier’s choice out of this group if he could make it happen. That’s just an educated guess, though.

I hear VanGorder does want to get back into the college ranks for the right opportunity but would he stay at South Carolina long term? His track record says probably not.

The Ellis Johnson situation has played out a bit too publicly, and I think that has hurt his chances of getting the offer he covets, but he’s still in the mix.

The Texas A&M DC job is Reggie Herring’s to turn down, but I hear he wants to get back to the East Coast. I think he would take the USC job if offered. He’s also expected to be in the mix for the Georgia Tech job.

That’s about all I have right now. As always, once I know more, I’ll post it.

FINALLY AN END TO ALL OF THIS

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Wednesday afternoon Defensive Coordinator update....</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
According to multiple sources, all signs currently point to former Georgia defensive coordinator and current Atlanta Falcon linebacker coach Brian VanGorder being named defensive coordinator at USC.

According to the same sources, he and Spurrier met yesterday in Atlanta, and VanGorder has apparently verbally agreed to the terms of the contract.

Once I get the word that it's 100% done, I'll pass it on.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=headbar>Team</TD><TD id=headbar>Old coach</TD><TD id=headbar>New coach</TD><TD id=headbar>The buzz</TD><!--END LABELS--></TR><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
Arkansas_statslogo.gif

Arkansas </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Houston Nutt
Why: Resigned
When: Nov. 26
Record: 75-48 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Bobby Petrino
When: Dec. 11 </TD><TD id=buzz>On Dec. 10, the Falcons lost to New Orleans 34-14, and hours later Petrino left the team with a 3-10 record to return to the college ranks. Petrino went 41-9 in four years at Louisville, coaching some of the highest-scoring teams in the country before leaving in January to join the Falcons.
Complete coverage: HawgSports.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
baylor_statslogo.gif

Baylor </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Guy Morriss
Why: Fired
When: Nov. 18
Record: 18-40 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Art Briles
When: Nov. 28 </TD><TD id=buzz>Briles is reported to receive a seven-year $1.8 million contract to try to turnaround the Baylor program. Bilres had only one losing season in five years at Houston.
Complete coverage: SicEmSports.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
Duke_statslogo.gif

Duke </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Ted Roof
Why: Fired; Hired as Louisville LB coach
Record: 6-45 </TD><TD id=newcoach>David Cutcliffe
When: Dec. 14 </TD><TD id=buzz>Cutcliffe boasted a 44-29 overall record while at Ole Miss, and has guided one of the nation's top offensive teams while at Tennessee. This year's Tennessee squad featured a 3,000-yard passer, 1,000-rusher and 1,000-yard passer.
Complete coverage: DevilsIllustrated.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
georgiatech_statslogo.gif

Georgia Tech </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Chan Gailey
Why: Fired; Hired as Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator
Record: 44-32 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Paul Johnson
When: Dec. 7 </TD><TD id=buzz>Johnson said he will not coach Navy in its bowl game and also will not interfere with Jon Tenuta's preparation for Georgia Tech's bowl. Still, Johnson said he might watch the team practice.
Complete coverage: JacketsOnLine.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
michigan_statslogo.gif

Michigan </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Lloyd Carr
Why: Retired
When: Nov. 18
Record: 121-40 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Rich Rodriguez
When: Dec. 16 </TD><TD id=buzz>Michigan's month-long coaching search ended with Rich Rodriguez, who went 60-26 with four Big East titles in five seasons. Rodriguez brings his innovative spread offense with him to the traditional Michigan.
Complete coverage: TheWolverine.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
olemiss_statslogo.gif

Ole Miss </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Ed Orgeron
When: Nov. 24
Record: 10-25 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Houston Nutt
When: Nov. 27 </TD><TD id=buzz>Nutt led Arkansas to eight bowl games in 10 years and now will face the Razorbacks every year in the SEC Western Division.
Complete coverage: RebelSports.net </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
nebraska_statslogo.gif

Nebraska </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Bill Callahan
When: Nov. 24
Record: 27-22 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Bo Pelini
When: Dec. 2 </TD><TD id=buzz>Pelini was interim coach after Frank Solich was fired following the 2003 regular season, coaching the Huskers to an Alamo Bowl victory over Michigan State.
Complete coverage: HuskersIllustrated.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
tamu_statslogo.gif

Texas A&M </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Dennis Franchione
When: Nov. 23
Record: 32-28 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Mike Sherman
When: Nov. 26 </TD><TD id=buzz>Sherman was an assistant at Texas A&M in the 1990s before moving on to the NFL. First substantial move included bringing back Tim Cassidy, a long-time Aggie with essential football operations and recruiting acumen, who had bolted for Nebraska during the Fran regime.
Complete coverage: AggieYell.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
ucla_statslogo.gif

UCLA </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Karl Dorrell
When: Dec. 3
Record: 35-27 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Rick Neuheisel
When: Dec. 29 </TD><TD id=buzz>Neuheisel, a quarterback who was the MVP in UCLA's 1984 Rose Bowl victory and later served as a Bruins assistant under Terry Donahue, was hired Dec. 29 as his alma mater's 16th coach. His five-year contract is for $1.25 million annually, plus incentives.
Complete coverage: BruinBlitz.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
washingtonstate_statslogo.gif

Washington State </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Bill Doba
Record: 30-29 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Paul Wulff
When: Dec. 11 </TD><TD id=buzz>The Washington State alum was named Big Sky Coach of the Year three times in eight seasons at Eastern Washington.
Complete coverage: CougZone.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
westvirginia_statslogo.gif

West Virginia </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Rich Rodriguez
Why: Hired at Michigan
When: Dec. 16
Record: 60-26 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Bill Stewart
From: Promoted (associate head coach, interim head coach)
When: Jan. 3 </TD><TD id=buzz>West Virginia announced that the interim tag would be dropped from Stewart's title after the Mountaineers routed Oklahoma, 48-28, in the Fiesta Bowl.
Complete coverage: WVSports.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--NON-BCS JOBS--><!--NON-BCS JOBS--><!--NON-BCS JOBS--><!--NON-BCS JOBS--><!--NON-BCS JOBS--><!--NON-BCS JOBS--><TR><TD id=bluebar colSpan=4>NON-BCS JOBS</TD></TR><!--LABELS--><TR><TD id=headbar>Team</TD><TD id=headbar>Old coach</TD><TD id=headbar>New coach</TD><TD id=headbar>The buzz</TD><!--END LABELS--></TR><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
coloradostate_statslogo.gif

Colorado State </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Sonny Lubick
Why: Will not return
When: Nov. 27
Record: 108-74 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Steve Fairchild
When: Dec. 12 </TD><TD id=buzz>Fairchild played his college ball for the Rams and served as offensive coordinator under Lubick from 1997-2000.
Complete coverage: GoldandGreenNews.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
hawaii_statslogo.gif

Hawaii </TD><TD id=oldcoach>June Jones
Why: Hired at SMU
When: Jan. 7
Record: 76–41 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Greg McMackin
When: Jan. 16 </TD><TD id=buzz>The former NFL assistant says Hawaii will not change its wide-open offense even though June Jones is gone. McMackin last served as a head coach at Oregon Tech from 1986-89 </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
houston_statslogo.gif

Houston </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Art Briles
Why: Hired at Baylor
When: Nov. 28
Record: 34-28 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Kevin Sumlin
When: Dec. 13 </TD><TD id=buzz>Worked with Oklahoma's receivers and recruited the Houston area for the Sooners.
Complete coverage: CougarsDen.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
navy_statslogo.gif

Navy </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Paul Johnson
Why: Hired at Georgia Tech
When: Dec. 7
Record: 45-29 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Ken Niumatalolo
When: Dec. 8 </TD><TD id=buzz>The 42-year-old Niumatalolo, who's of Samoan descent but was born and raised in Hawaii, is believed to be the first Polynesian head coach in NCAA history. </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
northernillinois_statslogo.gif

Northern Illinois </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Joe Novak
Record: 63-75 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Jerry Kill
When: Dec. 13 </TD><TD id=buzz>Kill was 56-32 in seven seasons at Southern Illinois. </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
southernmiss_statslogo.gif

Southern Miss </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Jeff Bower
Record: 119-82-1 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Larry Fedora
When: Dec. 12 </TD><TD id=buzz>Fedora directed the nation's ninth-ranked offense at Oklahoma State this season.
Complete coverage: EagleTalk.net </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
smu_statslogo.gif

SMU </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Phil Bennett
When: Oct. 28
Record: 18-48 </TD><TD id=newcoach>June Jones
When: Jan. 7 </TD><TD id=buzz>Jones took Hawaii to the Sugar Bowl after an unbeaten regular season and now seeks to take SMU back to a bowl game.
Complete coverage: MustangManiacs.com </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=bluebar colSpan=4>COORDINATOR OPENINGS - BCS JOBS</TD></TR><!--LABELS--><TR><TD id=headbar>Team</TD><TD id=headbar>Old coach</TD><TD id=headbar>New coach</TD><TD id=headbar>The buzz</TD><!--END LABELS--></TR><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
arkansas_statslogo.gif

Arkansas
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>David Lee
Why: Not retained; Hired as Miami Dolphins QB coach
When: Dec. 14 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Paul Petrino
When: Dec. 14 </TD><TD id=buzz>Petrino was offensive coordinator and receivers coach under his brother at Louisville for four years before the two went to the Falcons.
Complete coverage: HawgSports.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
arkansas_statslogo.gif

Arkansas
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Reggie Herring
Why: Not retained; Hired at Texas A&M
When: Dec. 31 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Ellis Johnson
When: Dec. 31 </TD><TD id=buzz>A former head coach at The Citadel, Johnson will be defensive coordinator for a third SEC team. He was previously the coordinator at Alabama in addition to Mississippi State.
auburn_statslogo.gif

Auburn
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Al Borges
When: Dec. 11 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Tony Franklin
When: Dec. 13 </TD><TD id=buzz>Franklin brought a spread offense to Auburn for the Chick-fil-A Bowl win over Clemson.
Complete coverage: AuburnSports.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
baylor_statslogo.gif

Baylor
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Lee Hays
Why: Not retained
When: Nov. 18 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Randy Clements and Phillip Montgomery
When: Dec. 19 </TD><TD id=buzz>Both followed Briles from Houston and Stephenville (Texas) High and will serve as co-offensive coordinators
Complete coverage: SicEmSports.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
baylor_statslogo.gif

Baylor
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Larry Hoefer
Why: Moved to linebackers coach
When: Dec. 19 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Brian Norwood
When: Dec. 7 </TD><TD id=buzz>Spent the last seven seasons under Joe Paterno
cal_statslogo.gif

Cal
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Jim Michalczik
Why: Moved to offensive line coach/assistant offensive coordinator
When: Jan. 6 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Frank Cignetti
When: Jan. 6 </TD><TD id=buzz>Cignetti was added to an offensive staff that underwent major changes following a 7-6 season.
Complete coverage: BearTerritory.net </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
duke_statslogo.gif

Duke
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Peter Vaas
When: Nov. 26 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Kurt Roper
When: Jan. 4 </TD><TD id=buzz>Roper previously served as quarterbacks coach under Cutcliffe at Ole Miss when Eli Manning starred for the Rebels.
Complete coverage: DevilsIllustrated.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
duke_statslogo.gif

Duke
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Ted Roof
Why: Fired; Hired as Louisville linebackers coach
When: Nov. 26 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Mike MacIntyre
When: Jan. 2 </TD><TD id=buzz>MacIntyre served on Cutcliffe's coaching staff at Ole Miss before coaching with Bill Parcells with the Dallas Cowboys.
georgiatech_statslogo.gif

Georgia Tech
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Jon Tenuta
When: Jan. 2 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Dave Wommack
When: Jan. 2 </TD><TD id=buzz>Wommack has served as defensive coordinator at Arkansas, Southern Miss and UNLV.
Complete coverage: JacketsOnline.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
kansasstate_statslogo.gif

Kansas State
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>James Franklin
Why: Hired at Maryland
When: Dec. 23 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Dave Brock
When: Dec. 26 </TD><TD id=buzz>Coached Rivals.com first-team All-American Jordy Nelson in his first season as wide receivers
Complete coverage: GoPowercat.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
louisville_statslogo.gif

Louisville
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Charlie Stubbs
When: Dec. 2 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Jeff Brohm
When: Dec. 2 </TD><TD id=buzz>Former Louisville quarterback also coached under Bobby Petrino
Complete coverage: CardinalSports.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
louisville_statslogo.gif

Louisville
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Mike Cassity
When: Dec. 2 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Ron English
When: Jan. 2 </TD><TD id=buzz>English was Rivals.com's Defensive Coordinator of the Year following the 2006 season.
Complete coverage: CardinalSports.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><!--<tr><td id="logos">
lsu_statslogo.gif

LSU
Defensive coordinator</td><td id="oldcoach">Bo Pelini
Why: Hired as Nebraska head coach
When: Dec. 2</td><td id="newcoach">XXXXXXXXXX
When: XXXXXX</td><td id="buzz">Pelini was interim coach at Nebraska after Frank Solich was fired following the 2003 regular season, coaching the Huskers to an Alamo Bowl victory over Michigan State..
Complete coverage: TigerBait.com</td></tr>--><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
maryland_statslogo.gif

Maryland
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Ralph Friedgen
Why: Relinquished coordinator duties
When: Dec. 23 </TD><TD id=newcoach>James Franklin
When: Dec. 23 </TD><TD id=buzz>Friedgen cedes coordinator duties to Franklin, who spent two seasons at Kansas State.
Complete coverage: TerrapinTimes.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
michigan_statslogo.gif

Michigan
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Mike DeBord
When: Dec. 20 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Calvin Magee
When: Jan. 4 </TD><TD id=buzz>Magee has been a Rodriguez assistant since 2001, last as offensive coordinator/running backs coach.
Complete coverage: TheWolverine.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
michigan_statslogo.gif

Michigan
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Ron English
Why: Not retained, Hired at Louisville
When: Jan. 2 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Scott Shafer
When: Jan. 11 </TD><TD id=buzz>Built ties to the Midwest as an assistant at Western Michigan, Indiana and Illinois.
mississippistate_statslogo.gif

Mississippi State
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Ellis Johnson
Why: Hired at Arkansas
When: Dec. 31 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Charlie Harbison
When: Jan. 4 </TD><TD id=buzz>Mississippi State's pass defense ranked fourth in the SEC and safety Derek Pegues was an All-SEC performer.
Complete coverage: BulldogBlitz.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
nebraska_statslogo.gif

Nebraska
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Kevin Cosgrove
When: Nov. 24 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Carl Pelini
When: Dec. 17 </TD><TD id=buzz>Bo Pelini's brother served under former Nebraska coach Frank Solich at Ohio and served as a graduate assistant with the Cornhuskers
Complete coverage: HuskersIllustrated.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
northwestern_statslogo.gif

Northwestern
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Garrick McGee
Why: Hired at Arkansas (quarterbacks coach)
When: Jan. 4 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Mick McCall
When: Jan. 16 </TD><TD id=buzz>Northwestern keeps the spread offense intact by hiring Bowling Green's offensive coordinator.
Complete coverage: WildcatReport.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
northwestern_statslogo.gif

Northwestern
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Greg Colby
When: Dec. 3 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Mike Hankwitz
When: Jan. 16 </TD><TD id=buzz>Hankwitz's first defense at Wisconsin was second in the nation in scoring defense in 2006.
Complete coverage: WildcatReport.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
oklahoma_statslogo.gif

Oklahoma
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Kevin Sumlin
Why: Hired as head coach at Houston
When: Dec. 13 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Jay Norvell
When: Jan. 17 </TD><TD id=buzz>Norvell, who was previously Bill Callahan's offensive coordinator at Nebraska, returns to the Big 12 as Oklahoma's co-offensive coordinator and receivers coach. Kevin Wilson remains offensive coordinator.
Complete coverage: SoonerScoop.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
oklahomastate_statslogo.gif

Oklahoma State
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Larry Fedora
Why: Hired as head coach at Southern Miss
When: Dec. 12 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Trooper Taylor
When: Dec. 19 </TD><TD id=buzz>Tennessee's ace recruiter and wide receivers coach Trooper Taylor will be the co-offensive coordinator with the Cowboys.
Complete coverage: OState.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
olemiss_statslogo.gif

Ole Miss
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Dan Werner
When: Nov. 24 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Kent Austin
When: Jan. 16 </TD><TD id=buzz>The Ole Miss alum spent his entire coaching career in the Canadian Football League.
Complete coverage: RebelSports.net </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
olemiss_statslogo.gif

Ole Miss
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>John Thompson
When: Nov. 24 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Tyrone Nix
When: Dec. 11 </TD><TD id=buzz>Nix spurned head coaching job at alma mater Southern Miss for job at Ole Miss
southcarolina_statslogo.gif

South Carolina
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Tyrone Nix
Why: Named defensive coordinator at Ole Miss
When: Dec. 11 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Brian VanGorder
When: Dec. 19 </TD><TD id=buzz>Van Gorder last coached in the SEC for Georgia from 2001-04 before two stints as an NFL assistant and one as head coach of Georgia Southern.
Complete coverage: GamecockCentral.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
syracuse_statslogo.gif

Syracuse
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Brian White
When: Dec. 5 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Mitch Browning
When: Dec. 7 </TD><TD id=buzz>The longtime Glen Mason aide was a finalist for the 2003 Broyles Award while at Minnesota.
Complete coverage: CuseConfidential.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
tennessee_statslogo.gif

Tennessee
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>David Cutcliffe
Why: Duke (head coach)
When: Dec. 14 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Dave Clawson
When: Jan. 11 </TD><TD id=buzz>A two-time Division I-AA Coach of the Year gets his first job in the Football Bowl Subdivision.
Complete coverage: VolQuest.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
texas_statslogo.gif

Texas
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Larry MacDuff
When: Jan. 3 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Will Muschamp
When: Jan. 4 </TD><TD id=buzz>Muschamp will join Duane Akina on the staff as co-defensive coordinator. Muschamp is expected to be the defensive play caller and design defensive schemes.
Complete coverage: Orangebloods.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
tamu_statslogo.gif

Texas A&M
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Les Koenning
When: Dec. 29 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Nolan Cromwell
When: Jan. 5 </TD><TD id=buzz>Has been Mike Holmgren's receivers coach in Seattle since 1999, and he served with Sherman under Holmgren in Green Bay.
Complete coverage:
AggieYell.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
tamu_statslogo.gif

Texas A&M
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Gary Darnell
When: Dec. 29 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Reggie Herring
When: Jan. 4 </TD><TD id=buzz>Herring was a Broyles Award finalist in 2006 at Arkansas.
Complete coverage:
AggieYell.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>

Washington State
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Mike Levenseller
Why: Moved to wide receivers coach
When: Jan. 7 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Todd Sturdy
When: Jan. 7 </TD><TD id=buzz>The former St. Ambrose head coach served as Paul Wulff's offensive coordinator last season at Eastern Washington.
Complete coverage:
CougZone.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>

Washington State
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Bill Doba
When: Dec. 26 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Jody Sears
Chris Ball
When: Jan. 7 </TD><TD id=buzz>Sears and Ball will serve as co-defensive coordinators. Sears is a Washington State grad while Ball served on Mike Price's coaching staff.
Complete coverage:
CougZone.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><TR><TD id=bluebar colSpan=4>COORDINATOR OPENINGS - NON-BCS JOBS</TD></TR><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
byu_statslogo.gif

BYU
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Bronco Mendenhall
Why: Relinquished defensive coordinator duties
When: Jan. 10 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Jaime Hill
When: Jan. 10 </TD><TD id=buzz>Entering his third season as a BYU assistant, Hill has served as defensive coordinator in Division I-AA, the Canadian Football League and the defunct XFL. </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
coloradostate_statslogo.gif

Colorado State
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Steve Stanard
When: Dec. 12 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Larry Kerr
When: Dec. 12 </TD><TD id=buzz>Was a member of Sonny Lubick's original staff at Colorado State. </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
memphis_statslogo.gif

Memphis
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Rick Kravitz
When: Jan. 2 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Tim Walton
When: Jan. 7 </TD><TD id=buzz>Memphis coach Tommy West brings Walton back to the Tigers after he spent four seasons at Miami. </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
navy_statslogo.gif

Navy
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Paul Johnson
Why: Hired at Georgia Tech (head coach)
When: Dec. 7 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Ivin Jasper
When: Dec. 7 </TD><TD id=buzz>Jasper has been instrumental in the development of quarterbacks Brian Hampton and Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada. </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>

Northern Illinois
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Roy Wittke
When: Nov. 26 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Matt Limegrover
When: Jan. 7 </TD><TD id=buzz>Limegrover joins Jerry Kill's staff from Southern Illinois </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>

Northern Illinois
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Denny Doornbos
When: Nov. 26 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Tracy Claeys
When: Jan. 7 </TD><TD id=buzz>Claeys has served on Jerry Kill's coaching staffs since 1994. </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
newmexicostate_statslogo.gif

New Mexico State
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Woody Widenhofer
When: Nov. 27 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Joe Lee Dunn
When: Dec. 11 </TD><TD id=buzz>The former New Mexico coach (1983-87) returns to the college ranks.
Complete coverage: CrimsonIllustrated.com </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>

Southern Miss
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Jay Johnson
When: Jan. 2 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Darrell Wyatt
When: Jan. 2 </TD><TD id=buzz>Under Wyatt's tutelage, Mike Thomas was a 1,000-yard receiver with 11 touchdowns at Arizona.
Complete Coverage:
EagleTalk.net </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>

Southern Miss
Defensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Jay Hopson
When: Jan. 2 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Todd Bradford
When: Jan. 4 </TD><TD id=buzz>Bradford coached with new head coach Larry Fedora at Oklahoma State.
Complete Coverage:
EagleTalk.net </TD></TR><!--END TEAM--><!--BEGIN TEAM--><TR><TD id=logos>
troy_statslogo.gif

Troy
Offensive coordinator </TD><TD id=oldcoach>Tony Franklin
Why: Hired at Auburn (offensive coordinator)
When: Dec. 13 </TD><TD id=newcoach>Neal Brown
When: Jan. 7 </TD><TD id=buzz>At 28, Brown will be the youngest coordinator in college football.
Complete coverage: TroyReport.com </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

January 21, 2008

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]FSU loses assistant coach[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "FSU loses assistant coach "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "FSU loses assistant coach"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><OBJECT id=rvflash codeBase=http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=60 width=620 classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>

<EMBED SRC=http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf?h1=FSU+loses+assistant+coach+&h2=&lwidth=620&lheight=60&lshadow=1&sFontColor=000000&sLink= WIDTH=620 HEIGHT=60 SALIGN=lt QUALITY=best SCALE=noborder wmode=transparent ID=rvflash NAME=rvflash BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF TYPE=application/x-shockwave-flash PLUGINSPAGE=http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash></EMBED></OBJECT><NOSCRIPT>FSU loses assistant coach

</NOSCRIPT></P>Gene Williams
Warchant.com Publisher
<SCRIPT language=javascript> if ((bIEWindowBrowser) && (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.") != -1)) document.write("<div id=outercontainer style='height:220px;'>"); else document.write("<div id=outercontainer>"); document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Related Links:
Exclusive: Lee breaks the silence on the NFL, FSUFor Bradham, the future is nowPre-Order Now: Warchant Recruiting DVD & 40-Page Review
Talk about it in The Tribal Council

The Florida State football program took a hit on Monday but it wasn't another underclassman declaring for the NFL or a recruit decommitting, it was the loss of an important assistant coach.

According to multiple sources within the both the Florida State and Georgia football programs, tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator John Lilly has accepted an offer from Georgia head coach Mark Richt to become the Bulldogs new tight ends coach.

Lilly has been a part of Florida State's staff for 13 years and has been the tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator for the past 10 years. Four of FSU's last six recruiting classes have been ranked in the top four in the nation under Lilly, and the 2001 and 2005 recruiting classes were generally considered to be the nation's best.

Lilly will take the position at Georgia vacated by David Johnson, who served as the Bulldogs' tight end coach since Mark Richt took over in Athens in 2001.

When contacted by Warchant.com, Lilly did not want to comment on the situation.

Lilly was the primary recruiter for Georgia commitment Dwayne Allen, a four-star tight end prospect. Allen had made comments that his primary interest in Florida State was a result of Lilly being on staff. With him headed to Athens, it is likely that Allen, a Fayetteville, North Carolina native, will stick with his commitment to Georgia.

Everyone's saying not a big deal, besides losing a tight end recruit; who was committed to UGA, then FSU, and now back to UGA. Tight ends can go from a few periods with Trickett to a few more with Dawsey and be fine. Let's see who Bowden (Jimbo) hires...if anything it might free up a coaching position for the defensive side of the ball.

MOTHERFUCKER

Scott Hood
GamecockCentral.com Staff Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript> if ((bIEWindowBrowser) && (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.") != -1)) document.write("<div id=outercontainer style='height:220px;'>"); else document.write("<div id=outercontainer>"); document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

Brian Van Gorder, South Carolina's newly minted defensive coordinator, is leaving the Gamecocks.

Sources close to the USC football program have confirmed to Gamecock Central that VanGorder will be named the new defensive coordinator for the NFL's Atlanta Falcons.

His close fried, Mike Smith, formerly the defensive coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguars, was named head coach of the Falcons on Wednesday.

VanGorder served as linebackers coach for the Falcons this past season under Bobby Petrino, who resigned abruptly after 13 games and accepted the head coaching job with Arkansas.

VanGorder was part of the Jaguars defensive staff under Smith for one season in 2005. VanGorder left that job to take the head coaching position at Georgia Southern.

Sources told Gamecock Central that VanGorder was offered both the defensive coordinator's job with the Falcons and the Jaguars. He chose Atlanta primarily because his family still resides there.

VanGorder was officially named USC's new defensive coordinator on Dec. 19, replacing Tyrone Nix, who left to take the same job with Ole Miss under new head coach Houston Nutt.

However, VanGorder completed the 2007 season with the Falcons before joining USC. He, along with new special teams coordinator Ray Rychleski, were introduced to the media on Jan. 8.

The 48-year old VanGorder made his name on the national scene as the highly energetic defensive coordinator for Georgia from 2001-2004.

VanGorder relocated to Jacksonville, where he was an assistant coach under Smith and head coach Jack del Rio for one year.

He resigned from Georgia Southern after just one season to join Petrino in Atlanta. He told reporters on Jan. 8 that he viewed the move as a step towards fulfilling his career goal of becoming a defensive coordinator in the NFL.

Who will replace VanGorder on the USC staff? Prior to his hiring in mid-December, speculation focused on names like former Georgia Tech defensive coordinator Jon Tenuta, current Arkansas defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson and Virginia Tech's Bud Foster.

Johnson was reportedly offered the USC job when he was at Mississippi State. Shortly after VanGorder was named defensive coordinator at USC, Johnson left Starkville to join Petrino's staff in Fayteeville.

Spurrier confirmed at the Jan. 8 press conference that Foster initiated contact with him regarding the position. But his loyalty to Virginia Tech hesd coach Frank Beamer eventually won out.

Foster applied for the head coaching position at West Virginia but assistant coach Bill Stewart got that job after the Fiesta Bowl victory over Oklahoma.

Its 1 thing to be a total piece of shit, its another to be a piece of shit and have no character or integrity. This asshole is out shopping for recruits 2 weeks before signing day and jumps for a different job. I wish the falcons defense hell. He used SC as a security blanket until something in the NFL popped up again.

Last edited:
Petrino up and leaves the Falcons and heads to Arkansas. Van Gorder fearing his job security takes the DC at South Carolina. Ellis Johnson feels Arkansas is an upgrade and a chance to make some more money so he leaves Miss St. Then Van Gorder bounces back to the Falcons and the same day Spurrier brings Ellis Johnson to SC. Petrino is left w/out a DC. What a fucken circus.

Spurrier to announce Ellis Johnson as DC
By Joseph Person
The State
Published: January 24, 2008
Updated: 3:43 p.m.
Steve Spurrier has called a press conference for 4 p.m. today to announce Arkansas defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson as USC's new defensive coordinator, The State has confirmed.

Spurrier would not confirm his choice of Johnson. But a source close to Johnson said Spurrier has picked Johnson to succeed Brian VanGorder, who has left to take the coordinator's post with the Atlanta Falcons.

Spurrier spoke with Johnson, who was then at Mississippi State, and reportedly offered him the job before hiring VanGorder, according to sources.

Johnson received a three-year deal from new Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino, but has not signed the contract, according to another source close to Johnson.

Johnson is a South Carolina and former head coach of The Citadel. He has long expressed an interest in returning to the state, where he has a lot of friends and family.

As for VanGorder, his USC stint turned out to be the shortest of the jobs held by the well-traveled Michigan native over the past three years.

VanGorder, hired by Spurrier on Dec. 19, has left USC to take the same post with new Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith.

VanGorder worked with Smith with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2005, one of five jobs VanGorder has held since January 2005. VanGorder was the Falcons' linebackers coach this past season under Petrino, who bolted for Arkansas with three games remaining in the NFL season. Smith was hired by the Falcons on Wednesday.

VanGorder agreed to a three-year deal at USC last month, but had not yet signed a contract, USC spokesman Russ McKinney said.

Attempts to reach VanGorder for comment today were unsuccessful.

VanGorder's wife and school-age children had remained at the family's home near the Falcons' complex in Flowery Branch, Ga. VanGorder said previously he did not plan on selling his house on Lake Lanier.

Looks like Petrino taught Van Gorder and Ellis Johnson all about commitment to a team/program

Back