Coaching changes for 2015

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
Coaching is one of my main factors in handicapping. One of the few ways the books are usually behind the bettors is in evaluating—or in many cases even paying attention to—coaching changes.

If you watch this closely you can sometimes win so much money it is like stealing. My favorite example is Gus Malzahn. The books paid no attention to this guy when he left high school to become an assistant at Arkansas. All he did was bring the Wildcat back to football, both college and NFL.

Nutt fired him and Tulsa hired him as OC and became the highest scoring team in the country and went 9-3 ATS. Then he went to Auburn as OC and they won the national title and went 10-4 ATS. He didn’t get along with Chizik so he left for Arkansas State. Arkansas State went 9-3 ATS, Auburn collapsed.

They fired Chizik, brought Malzahn back as HC. Sports books and touts were so clueless they thought—despite all the proof to the contrary—the guy couldn’t coach so I actually got extra points all year. Auburn went 12-2 ATS.

The most discussed coaching change this year is Harbaugh to Michigan. This is one the books and touts ARE watching. Harbaugh will make Michigan a powerhouse again, but I doubt you will win much money with him because the books believe the same thing. I believe they will give Harbaugh too much respect to make any easy money on his games.

I see three situations this year where I might get extra value. Not as much as I did with Malzahn, but enough to win some money:

1. Chad Morris to SMU. He is another guy who came from Texas high school to college and was hired by Todd Graham (also direct from Texas high school to college) to replace Malzahn at Tulsa, was so successful he became the highest paid assistant in college football as OC at Clemson. The one drawback is that SMU has so little talent, but I think I’ll find value in Morris as the season goes on.

2. Muchamp to Auburn as DC. If the books pay less attention than they should to changes at head coach, they pay no attention to assistants. A guy like Muschamp failed as a head coach, but has been dynamite as an assistant. He will make big improvements to a weak Auburn defense.

3. Chavis from DC at LSU to DC at Texas A&M. Chavis has been building great defenses in the SEC for more than 20 years and his move will improve the aTm defense which was almost non-existent the last few years. It may hurt LSU as well.

Those are the ones where I see hidden value for now. Here is how I see some of the other big changes:

Riley to Nebraska. Riley is getting a lot of love based on his performance at Oregon State. I won on him now and then at Oregon State, but I was not a fan of his because his team led the conference—and sometimes the nation—almost every year in penalties and turnovers. I don’t see any hidden value.

Chryst to Wisconsin. Not impressed so far with Chryst, but Pitt wasn’t that great a job (he was 4[SUP]th[/SUP] HC in 3 years) so he may work out. I don’t see any hidden value.

Anderson to Oregon State. I like Andersen and he has proved he can win at a program like Oregon State, but I don’t see hidden value.

Montgomery to Tulsa. He has been with Briles since Briles went directly from high school to head coach at Houston. Briles had great offenses at every stop and Montgomery was OC for many of them. Problem is, he has never been a head coach at any level and Blankenship let the talent level slip at Tulsa. Might be hidden value, but it’s a guess right now.

McElwain to Florida. McElwain proved he can build a program and do it fast at Colo St. It’s a different story in the SEC. Florida has a ton more talent than CSU did when he arrived there, but it’s murderer’s row in the SEC. I think he—like Harbaugh—is sure to bring Florida back, but the books love Florida and it is hard to find value with a new coach.

Lincoln Riley to Oklahoma as OC. Riley is a Mike Leach guy, had great offenses at E Carolina and I expect him to do well at OU. But offense was not OU’s problem. In fact they scored more over the last five years than Riley did at E Carolina. This coaching change was part of Bob Stoops housecleaning to keep from having to fire his half wit brother—who produced one of the worst defenses in Oklahoma history—by firing or changing assignments of almost every coach on the staff. I see no hidden value.

And there is the always reliable proposition that first time head coaches lose their first game--and first road game--at close to a 60% rate ATS every year. Even an experience coach moving to a new job is below 50% ATS in their first game at a new school. Part of that is because the talent level is almost always low when a school changes coaches, but part of it is that it is so difficult to get 85 players, 20 or so coaches and GA's, and another 30 or so trainers and support staff to operate efficiently in their first attempt. Doing it on the road just adds another level of difficulty.

I’m always looking for information so if anyone has any coaching info—or corrections—to add, feel free.

Forgot one change I like. Pat Narduzzi to Pitt. I have a preference for seeing a DC take over a team instead of an OC and Narduzzi has been one of the best DC's in the country. I expect a lot of success for him at Pitt, but I don't see much value this year.

For one, it is his first head coaching job ever at any level. And he makes the 7th HC at Pitt in five years. And there is a schedule quirk at Pitt. They open at home against Youngstown State, then play 5 of their next 6 on the road.

He has talent at Pitt and it fits the way he likes to coach. I think they will be an improved team and a tougher team, but playing on the road that much to begin the season is a challenging way to begin.

I don't bet many road teams so I will take a look at them again in October.

the problem with defensive guys is they appear to be absolute fucking morons when it comes to game/clock mgmt. Hire a 12 year old with a Playstation to call timeouts.

Was the DC at Houston the last 2 years. The turnaround he did defensively there was impressive. He's been around hurry up offenses a lot, and has a philosophy to slowing them down and forcing them into mistakes. Turnovers are often looked at as luck, but what he's been able to do deserves some consideration. Pretty sure Houston lead the nation in Turnovers forced the last 2 years combined w/ like 73 or something like that. One of TT's biggest problems the last couple years has been being negative in the TO margin in a big way.....so this hire points most signs to them possibly being able to flip that a little.....which should lead to more competitive games and more wins.
However, techs biggest problem was run defense last year....so he's going to need to shore that up, if not then a big part of his turnover philosophy will be in jeopardy. But he did do a great job of turning Houstons rush defense around in his 1st year.

I don't think that TT will have a top defense nationally or will be a Big12 title contender this year, but I do think OVER 5.5 wins is one of my favorite RSW's this year.

You can google David Gibbs Defensive Philosophy and it has some interesting reads. Also, Bill Connelly did a podcast last week and the last 15 minutes they discuss Gibbs, which was a good listen. Especially since Connelly thinks turnovers are mainly luck and Gibbs bares to differ.

Great thread, and really helpful analysis, Tahoe.

Also hard not to like the Tom Herman hire at Houston. The loss of O'Korn at QB will be mitigated by the fact that a guy like Herman is inheriting a dual-threat quarterback (Ward) and excellent back. Even though Herman has been critical of his WRs, it seems the personnel is in place to deploy the spread/power run that worked so well for Herman at Ohio St. even before last season's run.

If nothing else, Houston should be a live dog week 2 at Louisville. Louisville will be coming off Auburn, preparing for Clemson, and teams that run the ball well/control the clock are always a better play to cover.

One hire that isn't getting any pub is Alabama hiring Mel Tucker to coach DBs. Tucker has been a Def Coordinator in the NFL for several years, and now he's a position coach. His stint at the Bears wasn't very impressive, but that's a lot of coaching ability as a position coach in an area where we needed some help. Similar to having Mario Cristobal as our OL coach

Good thread Tahoe.

DC at Utah is now John Pease, an NFL lifer. People think the defense will suffer with loss of Sitake but he wasn't the brains behind that defense, it's Whittingham. Players love John Pease, he's like your 72 year old uncle that says inappropriate things at family functions and these guys will run through walls for him. Utah is always known for defense, this could be one of their best ever.

Anderson has his work cut out for him at OSU, if he struggles this year look for more added value next year as he gets a few recruits in the program.

I am no X's and O's guy .. shouldn't comment on coaches being moronic ... but find me the HC in this situation who is not being moronic. Luckily this was just a high school game where you expect stupid people to be coaching ... oh wait ...

http://<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U7rPIg7ZNQ8" frameBorder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="<a href=" target="_blank" U7rPIg7ZNQ8?="" embed="" www.youtube.com="">https://www.youtube.com/embed/U7rPIg7ZNQ8</a>" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The last minute of the most important game in American sport and both coaches do incredibly stupid things. You cannot make this stuff up, even if you tried.

Want to see another dandy of incredibly bad coaching by both coaches at once? Watson Brown punted to knees down a score. And the opposing coach had a punt returner field it. Again .... two coaches making incredibly stupid plays.

Anyone have any insights on Wyoming?

If Bohl can build a powerhouse at North Dakota State--that QB he found and recruited for ND St is going to be a first round draft choice this year--he can do it at Wyoming, but I rarely see any stories about them.

A great subject and very good info. Good post!

IM not so sure that Michigan isn't a good play in week one. Utah was solid for most of the year but laying 5.5 is big as I don't think they have walk away potential. Mich will have to play mistake free at QB, but Harbaugh has a way of getting good production with his defensive schemes. If Mich gets a lead they might be able to hold on.

I may take the Big Blue, but will do a little more study on both teams first.

GL on the season.

Wow, terrific thread.

One aspect of the UM staff to render more meaningful will be special teams. I mean, I love the whole staff put together but Michigan has rarely had great special teams my whole time watching since '88. The PK might be shaky but everything else should be soooo much better. Just a mental note for all...

I forgot to add Gene Chizik hire as DC at N Carolina.

Chizik was a failure as a head coach (no one at Auburn gives him credit for that national championship, that was Malzahn was proved immediately when Malzahn left for Arkansas State and Auburn wasted no time firing Chizik and getting Malzahn back) but appeared to be at least moderately good as DC in various stops.

N Carolina can't get any worse on D, and maybe he can add a little toughness. NC has the offense to score on anyone so if he can improve the D they might do something in the ACC.

Thread of the year thus far. I've for the most part ignored the coaching aspect of handicapping and that has been a mistake.
HC is major. But I forget about it. I think Auburn vs Maryland a couple of years ago proved that.

Back