CKR's First Round World Cup...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
Hi gents, with this being a World Cup year, no vacation time for me. The usual slow season starting in mid-May through the Phil Steele release (5 weeks or so) has gotten filled in with trying to prep for 32 teams and 64 games that will all draw tremendous worldwide volume. Add in the friendlies that involve countries that aren't participating, and I will have watched the national teams of about 57 countries play soccer this summer at least once. It's been a grueling prep, but just like the first Saturday of college football, once you've done all your work, the easy part starts - the games. This is like being near the top of a big rollercoaster, and you're about to freefall.

Last year, when I had some money and wasn't getting mauled, I bet seven games at Pinnacle's opening line. I'm talking December 6th, the day of the freakin draw. I was ready then with my own prices as soon as I saw the first fixtures and bet these on impulse. Here are those plays. The limit at the time was a dime each, which I bet on all of these at that time.

Cameroon +0.5 -111 and OVER 2.25 +102.

This was an impulse play AGAINST Mexico on all fronts. Beating New Zealand 9-3 didn't fool me. This Mexican team is a very flawed one and really did not deserve to make this trip. Anyone who watched the Hexagonal even half as closely as I did would agree. I obviously got the best of the number on the side. This Cameroon side is not considered a strong one but they should be able to generate some offense against a suspect Mexico backline. I am not sure what happened on the total, it's astonishingly been bet down and I will consider going for more on the OVER, as I think each side is good for at least one goal at the very least. Would love to hear any input for those who follow these teams and can give me a bit of strategic insight.

Holland/Spain UNDER 2.5 -126.

I did very good here, even before I knew the Dutch coach was going to implement some sort of a variation of a 5-3-2. Spain wins all their games in these sorts of competitions 1-0, and Holland will be content to let them kick it around with no purpose for a half before getting impatient and going on the attack. A 0-0 halftime score with no action might lend itself for me to getting involved in a live OVER 1 bet at even money or better when it pops (might not til 48th or 49th minute).

Japan PICK +109 vs. Ivory Coast.

Didn't do so well here; it's moved against me 5-6 cents. I still like the play, as I think the teams are fairly even but Honda and Kagawa are two studs with great technical quality in the midfield and that should sway things in their favor. I like Zaccheroni and the Italian's ability to adjust on the fly will give them a big advantage at halftime, as well. Won't go any deeper than the dime I've already invested but I don't feel bad about the play at all.

Honduras +1.5 -101 vs. France.

Got the best of the number, which is always the goal. Now just have to win the game. Never know what you'll get from the Frogs at these sorts of events but they seemed to be a bit more cohesive in their last friendly and could be improving at the right time. Still think they can struggle with the physicality of Honduras, as this is an awfully large number. The Hondos struggled in their friendlies with the Turks and the Onthespot before battling the English to a 0-0 draw in Miami. The game featured a straight red on Beckeles and a total of seven separate yellow cards. They sit deep, are organized, and though they're not favored to score, will be hard pressed to concede twice.

Bosnia & Herzegovina +1.25 +113 vs. Argentina.

Consider me one of the few folks I know that doesn't have an Argentine cock sticking out of my mouth in this event. I'm far from sold on them being one of the best two or three teams and see little chance of them even reaching the semis, let alone the final. Another game where I got way the best of the number and would love a much bigger bet than I currently have (yes, I will consider going for more). I am a bit concerned about this play, however, because of Bosnia's tactical change that happened within just the last couple of months. They were playing an ultra-aggressive 4-1-3-2 but Safet Susic has now made an adjustment, inserting holding midfielder Besic for second striker Vedad Ibisevic. Because Besic could play center back, he literally swapped a defender for an attacker. Dzeko and Pjanic are as good of a No. 9 and No. 10 as you'll see in this event. On defense, they will battle, even if they lack for certain skills. The goaltender is excellent, and will need to be be because Argentina will create chances.

Germany -0.5 -109 vs. Portugal.

Got the best of this one for awhile, but the Germans went into a funk and didn't snap out of it until 20 minutes remained in their very last friendly. They played a scoreless draw with the Poles and struggled to a 2-2 draw with Cameroon. They were tied with Armenia 1-1 after a 69th minute penalty, then unleashed a blitzkrieg on their guests, scoring 5 times in 18 minutes to end up with a 6-1 win. Let's hope this is what snaps them to life, because they have free-fallen the most in my mind since the draw was announced. I had them as best threats to Brazil as recently as a few months ago. This is one play I'd like to have back, especially looking at the Portuguese last night. Alas, it stands, so maybe I can still get lucky and win it.

I will be adding to this thread as more plays pop up. I will also be betting live quite frequently, and will try to post when time allows it, especially if I make halftime plays. It's a real exciting time, and good luck to all the lads with your plays. Looking forward to any insight anyone wants to share in here with me, as well. Let's do it!

:goal:

:shake:

I'm all chalky; Brazil to beat Spain in the final with Germany and Belgium in the semis. The upset/cinderella type shit will happen in June but not in July.

thanks Rex, didn't have a clue about B-H but the above was helpful. I have fond memories of Honda and like the Asian countries to play disciplined and frustrate some better teams

Croatia +1.5 up to -115 is a bet against Brazil today. I'm trying to, in line with my other plays so far, win 1000. I have a slight hesistation about betting the Croats without Manduzic, but the midfield trio they'll trot out today is as creative as anyone else in the tournament, and they are clearly the second best team in the event. Spain, favored to win (and then doing so) four years ago, struggled in their opening match. With Brazil playing at home, the same thing could easily happen today. Vukojevic is a natural holding player and should see the pitch today, with Kovacic potentially playing the No. 10 role he was so familiar with at Dinamo Zagreb. Although it's not like they lack for a No. 10 if Kovacic plays his deep-lying role like he was accustomed to at Inter Milan. I can see the Croats creating one scoring opportunity and cashing it in on Brazil's backline and suspect goaltender. It will be tough for me to see Brazil scoring more than twice in this one, so I'll call for the Brazilians to score late and win 2-1. Value on the goal and a half here is enough to put this play in. 1150 to win 1000 on Croatia +1.5.

GL!

Croatia +1.5 up to -115 is a bet against Brazil today. I'm trying to, in line with my other plays so far, win 1000. I have a slight hesistation about betting the Croats without Manduzic, but the midfield trio they'll trot out today is as creative as anyone else in the tournament, and they are clearly the second best team in the event. Spain, favored to win (and then doing so) four years ago, struggled in their opening match. With Brazil playing at home, the same thing could easily happen today. Vukojevic is a natural holding player and should see the pitch today, with Kovacic potentially playing the No. 10 role he was so familiar with at Dinamo Zagreb. Although it's not like they lack for a No. 10 if Kovacic plays his deep-lying role like he was accustomed to at Inter Milan. I can see the Croats creating one scoring opportunity and cashing it in on Brazil's backline and suspect goaltender. It will be tough for me to see Brazil scoring more than twice in this one, so I'll call for the Brazilians to score late and win 2-1. Value on the goal and a half here is enough to put this play in. 1150 to win 1000 on Croatia +1.5.

GL!
Diabolical beat,fucking horrible,unlucky mate

yes, very unfortunate. I was able to hold my own live (sorry, in matchbook, pinny and CRIS markets i have no time to participate in the in-game, which i did just chuckle my way through, and or post my live plays) by going OV 2.5 pretty decent, then some UN 3.5 for about half that, then finally a 3-1 final at 6-to-1 at CRIS for small as an absolute hedge, which worked out. Still lose for the game a peanut, but better than being semi-suicidal losing a game 3-1 that should have been 2-2, even if Stevie Wonder was the ref and there wasn't a stone cheat.

Good luck this cup Rex, you got boned yesterday. I am considering joining you on Honduras against the surrender monkeys...

Nothing like starting 0-4. I would say partying with my friends from Curacao takes away the sting, but well, that'd be a lie. At least I'm shitfaced and will bet the live on my own for shits n giggs coming up. Looking at Chile at a discounted price if it starts slow because they know goal differential could well come into play...

:cheers:

long way to go, think Spain's huge loss opens up a lot of opportunity to us just gotta find out exactly where

RExy,
Don't know what the fuck happen but good job keeping the faith on Ticos....I just ate a whole slice of humble pie

Italy PICK +135 medium 2u. The drunken blokes in England have driven this price to absurdity. The game is a coin toss, even without Buffoon (yes I spelled it that way).

Call it 1400 to win 1890. Let's see if the Tico win will get me going...

thanks fellas...

My pinnacle bets are 0-5 with two pending. I have done literally nothing right with these six-month-out future type bets.

That said, today that shit all ends when Bosnia wins the game outright. I have +1.5 goals +101 that i just added for 5000, waiting out the same Argentine public steam that drove the England price last night out of control.

Bosnia's defense is soft and stinks, but their offense will cause all sorts of problems for the back 5 of the Argentines. This team wins the group and causes major chaos in this event, and it starts today with a Dzeko brace. Score it Bosnia 3-2. Lean OVER but love the Bosnians far more. See you in the in-game to sweat it out :)

thanks sir, as i posted in the in-game (which is going to be at 100 pages before kickoff tomorrow)....

'Bosnia right side in this game, one mistake early, and one piece of Messi brilliance ruins DRAW and anyone who shot for the moon like me but I will get these argentine **** going forward, they are no better than Bosnia'

Think well see some value on Bosnia from this, seems like you've taken some tough beats so keep that head up.

Kicking myself for letting Buffon keep me off Italy when they were my favorite side of the group stage

Any clue on the Iranians?

Carlos Queiroz is the coach so they are gonna lock it down. Allowed only 7 goals in 16 qualifying games but vs weak competition, but did beat South Korea 1-0 in both matches. Veteran WC squad w/ 11 guys over the age of 30 but have faced no quality teams outside S Korea. Just imo but I stay away from the over trend so far this Cup in this match, I know little about Nigeria but they only scored 11 and conceded 4 in the 3rd round of qualifiers and the playoff (8 matches).

will get to that one.

Germany -0.25 -112 before commission, risking 2240 to win 2000

Sticking with my initial thoughts, and taking a better price here at post.

looking at the lineups, see some small value in the US. In Klinsmann We Trust, i suppose.

THe play: USA +205 risking 500. Sweat bet while i get hammered...

Algeria playing a very defensive minded lineup here, and this could frustrate the young Belgians. Seeing enough value on the dog here to take a stab at a DRAW.

The play: Belgium DRAW +440 - 1000 to win 4400

Brazil -1.25 -109 big, to win 9k. Will probably be the biggest bet of the first round, and I've had this one circled since the draw came out in December. Mexico just beat up on a bad Cameroon team, and Brazil by and large disappointed against a Croatia side that will make mincemeat of these beaners on the third matchday. It's a lay, and a big one.

GL!

well that was depressing.

Lean Red Commie Bastards in the next game but need to lick my wounds before I try to get involved again tomorrow. Big loss for me counting the live there.

That Brazil loss is a kick in the dick. Sorry about that, Rex. Really tough beat. You did have the right size there and with the Russians. I had Russia here as well (thankfully at a PK), but wasn't as impressed as I'd like to be.

What I do like about the first round of the WC is that the group stage tends to offer up good bounce back situations. Brazil may set up for that off this game. Your reads are solid, you'll work it back..

=)

Thanks, Joe. Back on the horse today. Too bad I'll have to wait until the end of the day for my sweats.

Will be going out with my Dutch friends to watch their early game. No real opinion there; would lean the Aussies at +1.75 small I guess, gun to head, can see them losing 2-1.

Very much think the Spain and Chile game will see both teams score but not sure how much. Would see the value with the Chileans +1 for sure, especially considering that Spain now HAS to score goals and can't just pass it around at the back of the park. Tough one for me to figure.

Manduzic back for the Croats, who have had almost six days to stew about the tough beat in the opening match. The midfield trio again should be create chances against a sloppy Cameroon squad that seemed inable to do anything of substance in the second half. Big coaching edge here to Croatia as well.

The play: Croatia -0.75 goals -102 to win 2500 on each bet (risking 5100 in all, half at -1/2, the other half at -1).

Just the one play today. GL all!

Thanks, Joe. Back on the horse today. Too bad I'll have to wait until the end of the day for my sweats.

Will be going out with my Dutch friends to watch their early game. No real opinion there; would lean the Aussies at +1.75 small I guess, gun to head, can see them losing 2-1.

Very much think the Spain and Chile game will see both teams score but not sure how much. Would see the value with the Chileans +1 for sure, especially considering that Spain now HAS to score goals and can't just pass it around at the back of the park. Tough one for me to figure.

Manduzic back for the Croats, who have had almost six days to stew about the tough beat in the opening match. The midfield trio again should be create chances against a sloppy Cameroon squad that seemed inable to do anything of substance in the second half. Big coaching edge here to Croatia as well.

The play: Croatia -0.75 goals -102 to win 2500 on each bet (risking 5100 in all, half at -1/2, the other half at -1).

Just the one play today. GL all!

el hugo

big day tomorrow

GL and look forward to your thoughts

great call on the Croats, also like them in the final match with Mexico and am curious what number we'll see there

Quiz the bookmaker: is there a Croatian language? If not, what do they speak? I'll hang up and listen

yes, Croatian is their official language. It's also spoken in parts of Bosnia, not surprisingly.

Today and tomorrow are both very interesting games. Due to the dearth of DRAWS and the way things played out in these groups C, D and E, all six fixtures in the next two days will feature teams playing each other with either 3 or 0 points. Today, Ivory Coast/Colombia matches two teams who won their openers, while the later two games all pit teams with 0 points. Tomorrow, CR/Italy and France/Swiss each have 3 and 3, while Ecuador/Honduras each have 0. It will be interesting to see the style in contrasts that you get with the teams who have 3 (perhaps will play safer and tilt to a draw depending their Matchday 3 foe) whereas the teams with 0 should be fully ready to go for it (also depending on who they play in Matchday 3).

Going with Los Cafeteros today in the lidlifter. Still not convinced the Ivory Coast did much in beating the Japs the other night, and Colombia's organization and home-crowd edge (it will be substantial) will come into play here. Drogba starting on the bench for CIV, whereas the Colombians will start with the same XI they did against the Greeks. While this means no Jackson Martinez and probably less offense, it stands to reason that over the course of 90 minutes, the Narcotraficos should find a way to sustain superiority.

The play: Colombia +105 risking 2500

Looking at possibly adding Uruguay later if the irrationals steam the Brits like they did in their opening match. Want to take 3/4 of a goal but that seems highly unlikely. Will wait out lineups and movement before I decide to do anything there.

No thoughts on Greece/Japan. Will have to see how each team goes out to play it and what happens in this early match (what result will each team want, I wonder?). Could be a live bet coming later after we know more...

GL!

Agree on Uruguay. Sitting at nearly 3-1 on the ML now seems outrageous for a team who had some high hopes coming in and now finds themselves in a must-win scenario today.

GL Rex. As it currently stands, the Uruguay line is out of whack, IMO. I believe it is in direct relation to the Brits flooding the market and backing their average club.

I like Japan late. Been reading about a good amount of infighting amongst the Greek squad. If Japan scores first, look out.

:cheers:

have urugay advancing to the quarters, not sure that happens as they may be old. It can't be good that I recognize most if not all of the players cuz that means they've been around far too long...

May look for them in the 2H pending how they look in the first

thanks fellas... this is poached straight from ghillbilly, in the in-game thread. Wanted to make sure it doesn't get buried so I can have it for further reference, lmao...

While the big, punchy swears are the same all over the English-speaking world, some of our milder, more idiosyncratic slights will leave the uninitiated scratching their heads.
1. A two-fingered salute
This has come up before on MTG, but just to reiterate: stick two fingers up at an American and they’ll be no more affronted than if you’d waved hello or nodded. Should you feel compelled to use your hands to offend in the U.S., stick to the universally recognized raised middle finger.

2. Minger
Popularized by the late, great and hilariously foul-mouthed Big Brother contestant Jade Goody over a decade ago, the term meaning unattractive female is still fair game in Britain. If you’re looking for a way to insult an American woman without her realizing, this is ideal.

3. Pillock
To American ears, this might sound like some kind of unadventurous English fish. Alas, it’s merely one of many hundred words we’ve evolved to refer to a somewhat idiotic, oafish individual.

4. Twit
American Roald Dahl fans might be familiar with this one from reading The Twits– a wonderfully vile tale of a dysfunctional married couple who keep pet monkeys and systematically abuse each other. Curiously, however, the book doesn’t shed much light on what it actually means to be a twit. It’s one of those semi-affectionate insults we might throw at a family member or friend who’s behaving in a less than cerebral manner. Synonyms include: wally, berk, prat, numpty, knob-head, nincompoop and tit.

5. Twat
This is one of the harsher terms on the list, perhaps because of its literal meaning: lady parts. Still, it’s a less offensive version of the other single syllable word that means the same thing. Brits are want to precede either word with “you daft…” or “you utter…” I’ve used “twat” around Americans and who think it’s got a satisfying ring to it. Could be one to watch over here.

6. Billy no-mates
It’s mild and reassuringly vintage but roam a UK school playground on your own looking miserable and you might still have this barked at you from across the tarmac. Shout this at an American loner kid, however, and he’ll assume you’re a lunatic.

7. Chav or pikey
These unpleasant slang terms, originally used to refer to Irish or Romani gypsies, have evolved to mean a certain type of flashy working class kid clad in designer sportswear and gold jewelry. The closest U.S. equivalent would probably be trailer trash.

8. Muppet
When a British Goldman Sacs employee resigned last year in an open letter and said that some colleagues in London had called their clients “muppets”, Americans at the firm were left wondering what he meant. Brits have borrowed Jim Henson’s name for furry, be-stringed critters and tweaked it to mean someone who’s stupid, gullible and incapable of independent thought. Let’s not mention this to Miss Piggy.

9. Slapper or slag
In the UK, we’re unhealthily attached to nasty words that describe a “loose woman”. These two clangers are the most commonly used, yet they’re insults only the most dedicated American anglophile or British gangster movie aficionado will have encountered. In the U.S., “whore” and “slut” mean much the same thing.

10. Tosser
This term, meaning one who engages in self, erm, stimulation, is a milder version of w**ker, which – perhaps you’ve noticed this too – Americans have recently adopted but serially misuse. They seem to think it’s one of those British slurs that doubles as a term of endearment. It’s not.

Which term do you throw around the most? Ever get funny

No reason to get off the Costa Rica bandwagon just yet. Obviously sitting at the bar right now watching the game (there's a whole different story to that, which I will get into in the in-game later this evening after I get home around kickoff for the Hondos/Ecuador game of which I have zero interest side and total) makes it much easier to root for my bet along with most of the rest of the country, save for a few greaseballs who run their businesses here and have been transplanted from the motherland. Still, the Ticos figure to sit back with their five defensemen and only press forward when they have set pieces or when the greasies commit too many men to the attack. I don't think Buffoon playing in his first game of this tournament as a 58 year old figures to help the European side, either, as at some point he figures to get exploited by any of about four Ticos who can score against anyone. Taking one goal here is the easy play, as the Ticos are in prime position to advance to the next round even with a one goal defeat. Still no respect for CR and this will probably be the last chance to get value on them should they come up with the expected result here. Good value on the draw as well.

The play: CR +1 -115, 2300 to win 2000 (the price has been steamed, and my internet has been cutting in and out, but a bet up to -125 is still good for the same).

Will have a writeup on the next game a bit later but as I alluded to last night, I'm going to be on Switzerland in some way, shape or form; it's only a matter of figuring out how to maximize profits there. I also am pobably going to bet YES on both teams to score prop, but again, will need to look for prices with decent limits before I go too gung-ho over any of it. Should be an exciting start of the day, with two games featuring four teams who all scored wins over the weekend. Good luck!

Switzerland +0.75 -117 after commission to win 3k (3510/3000)

Swiss will win or draw, at least that is how I see it. Might scalp or hedge out if they take the lead, but I forsee offense, despite sharp folks i respect betting UN. Both teams I think will score, but not betting that after getting some other insight.

GL! :shake:

Like Swiss but looking more at the +1 for insurance purposes...Don't know.

BOL ... And congrats on Costa winning. That's 2 straight legit wins for this group. They are for real and have a great chance in the next round against some questionable foes.

yep, will be the top seed and can surely advance against whoever comes out of Group C as the runner up. Maybe they'll lay a turd against England to get better value lmao

Back