cincy/ marshall discussion

• Thread starter Thread starter ontime23
  • Start date Start date
O

ontime23

Lets' discuss and come up with winners

cincy without Grutza and Pike

cincy -3.5 and48.5 down from 50

going to play several qb's in this one , including the notre dame kid.

Thanks VK . So even better reason to stay away but just might get me interested in an over .......lots of pressure on the total so far ...pretty sure the game finds a way to get to the 20s as well....food for thought . Thanks have to work on this:cheers:

Thanks VK . So even better reason to stay away but just might get me interested in an over .......lots of pressure on the total so far ...pretty sure the game finds a way to get to the 20s as well....food for thought . Thanks have to work on this:cheers:

yup line has dropped 6 points on the total ... 47.5 now.

Either QB gets Bearcats' OK
Offense confident with either Collaros or Anderson in role
By Bill Koch • bkoch@enquirer.com • October 2, 2008

bilde

Zach Collaros has been compared to former QB Ben Mauk.

bilde

Chazz Anderson has impressed teammates with his strong arm.

You'd never know from talking to the other players on the University of Cincinnati's offensive unit that the Bearcats face a precarious situation Friday, having to play at Marshall with two untested redshirt freshman quarterbacks.

Either they have the utmost confidence in Zach Collaros and Chazz Anderson, or they're doing a remarkably convincing job of parroting the company line.

"These guys were awesome in high school," running back John Goebel said. "They're here for a reason. They'll do their job."

Said wide receiver Mardy Gilyard: "It doesn't matter who's under the center. We trust all the guys that go under there. Both of those guys are highly capable of doing the job."

UC head coach Brian Kelly wasn't surprised to hear that his players seem so unfazed after having lost two quarterbacks - first Dustin Grutza and then Tony Pike - to injury. They've seen a lot of both Collaros and Anderson in practice, first during the spring and then during the preseason.

Goebel worked extensively with Collaros and Anderson last year when all three of them were redshirted, so he saw first-hand what each can do.

"When my parents would ask me who's good, I could never choose," Goebel said. "I didn't know who I liked better, Zach or Chazz. On the scout team last year they would throw passes that I didn't know were possible. They'd be running back to the right and throw it back to the left on a dime.

"Zach is such a good scrambler. He kind of reminds me a little bit of (former UC quarterback) Ben Mauk in that he has the escapability and can still throw it downfield really far. He's got a great arm. Chazz, he's so smart. He's always in the playbook and Chazz can do a lot with his arm, too."

Goebel isn't the only player to have recognized similarities between Mauk, last year's starter, and Collaros. Mauk himself made the same comparison last year, and Gilyard also said he sees shades of Mauk in the raw freshman.

"I hate to put that tag on him like that, but I love him when he rolls out of the pocket," Gilyard said. "It's just so beautiful when the ball comes out of his hands when he rolls out. It's like pin-point accuracy with tight spirals. Chazz, he has a strong cannon for an arm. He likes to drop back and trust the pocket."

Kelly has not tipped his hand about which quarterback will start and has played along with questions from reporters about the competition between Collaros and Anderson, encouraging the notion that he doesn't know whom to choose, that he won't decide until just before the game Friday night, and that he probably will play both of them.

"My sense right now is that I want Marshall to prepare for multiple quarterbacks," he said Monday, "and I think each one of them brings something different to the table."

Still, neither has any meaningful experience in a game. Collaros threw four passes in relief of Pike at Akron last Saturday, and Anderson has yet to play in a college game.

No matter how good they might have looked in practice, no matter how impressively they might have run the scout team last year, it's not the same as playing on the road in a hostile environment when it really counts.

Sure, it's possible that whoever starts will play well and the offense won't skip a beat, but that won't happen without a lot of help from the rest of the offense.

Right guard Trevor Canfield says the offensive line is up to the task.

"We haven't given up a sack in two games," Canfield said. "No offense to Coach Kelly, but you could put him back there and we'd be all right. We've got confidence in Zach, Chazz, Pike, Demetrius (Jones), Grutza. Our offensive line is so strong that it really doesn't matter."

As for the bolded comment, Canfield's wrong. The OL is average.

Why Demetrius Jones is behind Collaros and Anderson
Posted by BKoch at 9/30/2008 3:48 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Time and time again, Brian Kelly has repeated the line that Demetrius Jones just doesn’t know the offense well enough to be the starting quarterback. I’ve had several fans ask me why Jones has been so slow to pick it up. Today Kelly answered that question.

“He has not gotten enough work with the ones,” Kelly said. “It’s not that he’s not doing the job. He hasn’t got as much work. If he got as much work as Chazz and Zach got, he’d be right there with them.

“I thought by week six, week seven, we could get him enough work so that he could be in the same position as these two guys. Right now for us to go to Demetrius we’d have to scale back the package a little bit because he just hasn’t gotten enough first-team reps.”

The best line of the weekly press conference today came from offensive lineman Trevor Canfield when he was asked about having so many different quarterbacks running the show.

“No offense to coach Kelly,” Canfield said. “But you could put coach Kelly back there and we would be all right…Our offensive line is so strong it really doesn’t matter.”

The line has not allowed a sack in either of UC’s last two games.

Inexperience no problem for UC
By Bill Koch • bkoch@enquirer.com • October 2, 2008

The offense that the University of Cincinnati football team unleashes at Marshall on Friday won’t have the full force of the no-huddle spread that has been so effective for the Bearcats under Brian Kelly.

But the UC head coach is confident the package he and offensive coordinator Jeff Quinn have designed will have sufficient firepower and flexibility to get the job done, even with an inexperienced redshirt freshman running the show at quarterback.

Kelly wouldn’t say this week whether that quarterback would be Zach Collaros or Chazz Anderson when the Bearcats (3-1) take the field at 8 p.m. to take on the Thundering Herd (3-2) at Edwards Stadium in Huntington, W. Va.

There’s a good chance both of them will play in place of the injured Tony Pike.

“The luxury that we had with (Dustin) Grutza and Pike was that we could go from A to Z,” Kelly said. “The library was pretty vast. I think we’re concentrating on specific plays for (Collaros and Anderson). You can call it what you want. You can say we’re scaling back, but what we’re doing is what they do well.”

Collaros, who made his debut in the fourth quarter last week against Akron, has thrown four passes in his college career, with one completion. Anderson has yet to set foot on the field in a college game.

Both are excited about the prospect of showing what they can do after a year of running the scout team.

“I haven’t looked forward to practice this much since high school,” Collaros said, “getting as many reps as I have been. It makes practice a lot more fun when you’re able to show your stuff out there.”

Whoever conducts the offense will be surrounded by veteran players who will do their best to put them at ease.

“We have such great talent around us that if we can just stick to the progressions and get the ball to our playmakers then we’ll be successful,” Anderson said.

The Bearcats are facing a Marshall team that hasn’t put together a winning season since 2003 under then-head coach Bob Pruett, who finished 6-6 in 2004 with a loss to UC in the Fort Worth Bowl. That ended a streak of 20 straight winning seasons for the Thundering Herd, which won more games in the 90s than any school in the country.

Mark Snyder took over after Pruett retired and has gone 4-7, 5-7 and 3-9. Snyder, a Marshall graduate, has been hindered by attrition and injuries but now has the Thundering Herd standing at 3-2 overall, 2-0 in Conference USA, sporting a five-game home winning streak.

“People here are anxious to try to right the ship,” said Marshall defensive coordinator Rick Minter, who was the head coach at UC from 1994 through 2003. “They’re used to winning here.”

Collaros and Anderson won’t be the only rookie quarterbacks on the field. Marshall also starts a redshirt freshman in Mark Cann, who has completed 50.7 percent of his passes for 943 yards, with five touchdowns and four interceptions in five games.
The Bearcats think they can make life miserable for him.

“They have a lot of young offensive linemen that we’re planning on taking advantage of and they have a young quarterback that once we start putting some pressure on him we plan for him to fold,” said UC defensive end Lamonte Nelms. - (Editorial note - they really haven't put pressure on any QB this season)

No doubt the Herd players are thinking the same thing about UC’s quarterbacks, but Kelly is confident his youngsters will play well in the Bearcats’ final non-league outing before Big East play begins next week.

“We’ll be fine,” Kelly said. “There’s going to be some mistakes. There’s going to be some nerves, but at the end of the day that won’t be an excuse why we don’t play well offensively.”

For what its worth, I have not seen a statement where they said Jones would see time. If you have different info VK please let me know.

I thought he hinted that demetrius might get a possession with a different package ( qb running package i assume ) this week while not in the running for the starting position.

After reading more stuff it looks like i misinterpreted that.

I thought he hinted that demetrius might get a possession with a different package ( qb running package i assume ) this week while not in the running for the starting position.

After reading more stuff it looks like i misinterpreted that.

He could get that possession, I was just saying that it was not a foregone conclusion that he would.

I expect them to try to sneak him in for a play or two to surprise the D. I think they are afraid to have him out there for an entire possession though.

what's your thoughts this is a mystery game for me......... sportsnut any thoughts???

Here's what I'm thinking:

Cincy (-3.5) at Marshall, O/U: 47

First of all, whatever side you are on, get the right number. This line keeps yo-yoing between 3 and 3.5, so you should be able to get the good number regardless of who you like.

I am on the under 53.5 here. I don't trust Cann to make the throws consistently (this will be the worst D-I QB Cincy has faced to this point), and Marshall may try to establish the run early. As for the Cincy side of things, Collaros and Anderson are two different QBs. Frankly, Collaros is better for the under as he is more of a runner. You may see some of the read/zone option runs that you normally wouldn't see from Cincy's spread if Collaros plays. Anderson is more a gunslinger in the mold of Pike. How much time Collaros/Anderson get could be a huge determinant in how many points are scored.

Also, there is more reason to like the under. By most accounts, Cincy's defense played poorly against Akron, but they only gave up 15 points (and that's with two fumbles in their own territory). I think that these opening totals are still being inflated by their game against Oklahoma.

Cincy has two problems: pass rush and the running game.

Here are the performance of the Cincy's opposing QBs this season:

Eastern Kentucky's Holland: 12-17, 141, 1 TD, 1 INT
Sam Bradford: 29-38, 395 yards, 5 TD, 2 INT
Daniel Raudabaugh: 28-42, 235 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT
Chris Jacquemain: 26-40, 254, 1 TD, 1 INT

Needless to say, some pretty solid numbers from mediocre QBs there (with the glaring exception of Bradford). Now, the problem of this is not at CB, where they have been very solid. Its on the line, where QBs have had all day to throw. They did have 3 sacks against Akron, but Jacquemain had way too much time on several occasions.

So, this lack of rush forces Cincy to stay in very simple, basic cover-2 and cover-3 defenses. This does a good job of preventing big plays, but it lets the opposing QBs take the short routes, and they can score if they can sustain a long drive (another reason I like the under).

The other problem is the running game, where they can't manage more than 3.3 ypc against MAC teams. Collaros could give this running game a shot in the arm, so we'll have to see about that. It's time for Cincy to either redshirt Isaiah Pead, or get him some carries.

Despite Cincy's lack of pass rush, they have done a good job against the run this year, allowing just over 100 yards per game on the ground, so they should be able to contain Darius Marshall.

I'm interested to see if Cann can sustain these long drives. He has had some moments (early on against Wisky), but has been a little shaky in his first year at the helm.

I don't trust Cann at this point. He'll get the ball to Passmore on several occasions tonight, but I expect some mistakes to be there as well. Collaros and Anderson just need to protect the ball and manage the game.

Huber should give Cincy the field position advantage as usual.

The key to the total points in the game could lie on whether Collaros or Anderson sees the majorty of the time, but I think the defenses keep the teams off the board enough to keep it under either way.

I think Cincy pulls it out, but you are better off getting a prediction from an unbiased source.

Cincinnati 24
Marshall 17

heading out the door .. i am under 52.5 ... taking all my willpower to not try and middle.

gl tonight everyone.

heading out the door .. i am under 52.5 ... taking all my willpower to not try and middle.

gl tonight everyone.

I'd think you'd almost have to sell back 50% with a 5 point move, no?

Can't blame you if you don't, but then again its usually good to fade what I think.

I dont know much about Marshall but would ask how they stack offensively vs Cincy foes Akron and Miam Ohio . Would Marshall be favored vs those teams , underdogs , PK on neutral fields ???

The reason why I say this is looking at Cincy games team have had no problem moving the ball on them as I see a number of 70+ yd drives each game vs them. Except some times they have settled for 3 pts or even none on an occassion or two.

With Marshall it seems they have a huge weakness with redshirt freshman at CB and we can see some lofty passing totals vs them. Sort of a bend but dont break defense from Marshall. Not liking the fact Cincy doesnt have a running game to rely on which clearly puts more pressure on the QBs to produce in there debuts on the road . Marshall does a huge home field edge looking at there record which clearly at one time it was near impossible to beat there in the 90s .

I am looking at Marshall +3.5 ( I would pay -130 ) if I decided that this game will be taken by Marshall or lost on a late FG . Yes , I am sick like that .....

The over or Marshall TT over looks most enticing in some ways because teams have shown they can move the ball vs Cincy and you just may get 1 or 2 drives with excellent starting field position .

While Cincy deserved to beat Akron my feeling is Akron left way to many pts on the board and only benefited from a short field once in the 3rd Q which they got 6 on . Cincy also left some pts off the board which is why I felt they deserved to win but really think Akron probably should have scored 24 pts .....

Looking at the Miami Ohio game while Cincy kinda of jumped on the redhawks the game was in doubt mid 3 quarter . You have a 24-20 game as Miami O scores to start the 3rd they get the ball back and take it inside the Cincy 30 and a pick 6 seemed to just crush Miami Ohio. Instead of coming back and taking the lead(possibly as they could have made it 24-23 worst case) they gave up a quick 7 the other way and looked up to seee 31-20 . After that just seems Miami Ohio was dead . Until that pick 6 they had three 70 something yd drives in the 1st 30 minutes of the game....

So comments welcomed just trying to gauge the opponents ...GL all

Turnovers push this one over the total.

Something I agree with . Cincy and everyone else thinks the Marshall OL is soft and you have a young Marshall QB as well . With the Cincy QB situation as well seems more then likely especially with a National TV game being your first and the hoefully crazy enviroment at Marshall with the whiteout .....:cheers:

Props - (played over 47 -120)

1st Q Under 10 pts thinking we dont break 10 as Cincy probabl;y opens conservative ...

1st Score within 7 1/2 minutes of the open of the 1st Q (however its phrased)

Yes -175 ....(thinking about 1st score will not be a TD +200

BOL:cheers:

Shit loss on the over 47 . Real shouldnt have hit but getting down to the 10 late Cincy fumbled with about 3 or 4 to play . Not only killing the needed TD but also wasting alot of the 4th quarter and sticking Marshall with terrible field position ..hit bunch of small plays so only lost vig on this thankfully ....one was the 2nd H over but guess I should have pounded that one .......

Well was kicking myself late as it looked like it was going to fall 50 and i could have middled it but glad i didnt, hoops.

problem i have with doing this in general is that .... well i am stuck with my kent st +17 when it moves to 21 ..... so when i am getting much the worst of it , i have to keep my bet and when i have much the best of it i would be laying off a lot of the bet.

prefer to do my middling as a planned event and not as a result of a line move on a good bet.

Back